Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this has happened to TV shows before, moving air dates around doesn't sound unprecedented. Had this really never come up as an issue on wikipedia before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

RandomPauI posted:

I'm sure this has happened to TV shows before, moving air dates around doesn't sound unprecedented. Had this really never come up as an issue on wikipedia before?

I just don't think it happens nearly enough for them to have made a standard format for it. Either that or some sperglord is refusing to let people alter the list so that it makes real sense for ~~REasoNS~~.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

I think the usual protocol is something like "the order of episodes is the order they appeared on TV. Deal with it, nerds." But since this shuffling is crossing a season border, that's throwing a wrench in things. They can't say "this isn't actually the new season premiere" or say "season one only has 49 episodes", which both are false according to the show's creators. I'm guessing eventually they'll come around to listing the episodes in a different order than airdate.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

XboxPants posted:

If you go into the Talk section, the wikipedia editors just don't know what the gently caress. It's been completely different every day I've checked it this week. :haw:

We know what the production order was, but when they release the episodes for purchase they may well be grouped up differently. It's all a big clusterbomb.

All of the Stevenbomb episodes are up on iTunes/Amazon, and Political Favors is placed as the most recent episode, even after Full Disclosure. It's all messed up.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure the normal protocol is to list them by production order, air date doesn't mean anything. This doesn't seem like it should be hard to figure out.
Like here's the wikipedia list of some Generator Rex episodes that had a messed up air order.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
I don't know what's saddens me more, y'all ragging on a fun episode you haven't even seen, or y'all using Wikipedia as a source.

Your answer is here btw: http://matt-burnett.tumblr.com/post/113119840091/for-those-who-are-letting-this-distract-them-from

It actually kinda shocks me that people care so much about which episodes are in which season and stuff. I had no idea it was such a big deal to people.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

XboxPants posted:

Can we get someone to edit some sweet fuckin' nails into Onions bat gif?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The only thing that matters is the order in which they aired. Listing by production order is stupid. What if a show films and produces the season finale first due to time constraints for some of their actors? Listing that first is dumb because if I'm trying to figure out which episode is next I don't want to be told that the finale is the first episode of the season.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass. :haw:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

IanJ posted:

I don't know what's saddens me more, y'all ragging on a fun episode you haven't even seen, or y'all using Wikipedia as a source.

Your answer is here btw: http://matt-burnett.tumblr.com/post/113119840091/for-those-who-are-letting-this-distract-them-from

It actually kinda shocks me that people care so much about which episodes are in which season and stuff. I had no idea it was such a big deal to people.

Do not be sad, IanJ. Haters cannot stop the UG crossover from happening :)

I'm excited.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Wikipedia editors can accommodate The Prisoner, then surely they can accommodate Steven Universe.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

If Wikipedia editors can accommodate The Prisoner, then surely they can accommodate Steven Universe.

What happened with The Prisoner?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IanJ posted:

I don't know why people hate Uncle Grandpa so much. I've seen it, it's not my favorite but it's fine and creative.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I thought of the perfect SU thread title: "Good Morning!"

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Rudoku posted:

I thought of the perfect SU thread title: "Good Morning!"

Hahaha

"Good Mornin'!"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I don't know why people hate Uncle Grandpa so much. I've seen it, it's not my favorite but it's fine and creative.

I kind of assumed it's because the first few episodes were really bad and most people just stopped there. As I said, I don't think it's a great show, but it has its moments. It's certainly no Mad or Annoying Orange (which in themselves were still somehow better than the Canadian shows).

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe people don't like Uncle Grandpa because the elderly remind them of their own mortality.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I kind of assumed it's because the first few episodes were really bad and most people just stopped there. As I said, I don't think it's a great show, but it has its moments. It's certainly no Mad or Annoying Orange (which in themselves were still somehow better than the Canadian shows).

I'm just curious/worried who is taking the lead on it. Is it going to be more "Uncle Grandpa, but set in Beach City" or "Steven Universe, but set in UG". But either way it's basically a bye week since it's probably going to have nothing of substance story wise and maybe not even be cannon.

They're just two completely different shows and I don't see them having a satisfying crossover for either set of fans.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

axleblaze posted:

Uncle Grandpa has slightly grown on me. It's certainly gotten better than the first few absolutely dire episodes. It's not a great show at all and it's not a show I will go out of my way to any degree to see, but I still manage to get some enjoyment out of it. Pizza Steve is pretty awesome all around.

I will also say it's rare to see a show where it's main inspiration is that obvious. I'm not sure if that show makes John K happy or really mad (I hope really made because gently caress John K).
Ironically enough, John K worked on redesigning the main character of Uncle Grandpa when it was announced to air on TV. It's still enough of it's own thing to be distanced from him though, and I don't think he would be happy about a Tex Avery style show crossover with an anime thing like this one bit.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Shitenshi posted:

Wikipedia confirms that the first episode for Season 2 is the Uncle Grandpa crossover.

Blueugh. But I guess it could be worse. It could be Clarence.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The crossover was Rebecca's idea, and I'm sure she got the UG team's blessing. No one is unhappy about it except fans who forget there was an episode of SU where Garnet fought an onion-ring based shaman with the help of a talking frog and bunny.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

IanJ posted:

I certainly wasn't supporting Wikipedia as a source, just basically being amused by how poorly it was handling the stevenbomb.

And as someone who has never seen Uncle Grandpa, I'm looking forward to the crossover even just as something interesting and different!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bass Bottles posted:

The crossover was Rebecca's idea, and I'm sure she got the UG team's blessing. No one is unhappy about it except fans who forget there was an episode of SU where Garnet fought an onion-ring based shaman with the help of a talking frog and bunny.

Um, I will never forget the best episode of the show

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so we've talked about the possibilities of them doing redemption arcs for Lapis, Peridot, and even Jasper(we all know Steven would try if he got the chance, and it'd be interesting to see him succeed), here's a piece of art relevant to this;

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

IanJ posted:

I get where you're coming from, and for me, the fact that you guys say it's a good episode is enough. You guys haven't let us down yet, so I'm hoping for good things! :D But, like... people have a right not to like shows, right? It's alright if someone doesn't enjoy Uncle Grandpa. It's not an insult against you, or the creator of that show. Just personal tastes.

I understand you guys probably get a lot of really awful comments about it so you may be extra sensitive, but try to look at it from the audience's point of view. It's okay if they don't find Uncle Grandpa or Pizza Steve to be an appealing characters. People have limited time, and if they give a show a few chances and decide they don't like it and aren't gonna watch it anymore, does that make them close-minded?

For the episode order issue...

The crew of SU seem to put so much care into putting all these very gradually developing character and plot arcs into the series, and it very much seems that the episodes were created with a certain optimal order in mind which makes the story flow the best - why exactly does it surprise you that people want to watch them in that order?

Did you really not create Full Disclosure with the assumption that the viewer will have already seen Open Book, and whatever happens between Steven & Connie during that episode? Sure, these things are minor and barely matter. But the show is so good. If I can make my experience just a little bit better, I want to do that.

(but don't get me wrong, the StevenBomb was a great idea that I support and partook in and was probably worth missing those 3 episode for! I'm not criticizing you - just trying to give some context at to why some people might care about episode order)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 14, 2015

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

IanJ posted:

I only like to know because end of seasons usually mean gaps in the show, which is something I'd really like not to happen. It seems it won't so wow wish granted!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Crain posted:

What happened with The Prisoner?

14 of its 17 episodes are in an ambiguous order. The order in which they were produced differs from the order in which the production company originally scheduled them to be broadcast, which in turn differs from the order in which they were actually broadcast in the UK, which ended up being on two different channels for some reason. The producers of the DVD box set put them in an entirely different order and included a written justification for it. Lacking any sort of clarity, US rebroadcasters put them in whatever order they felt like, which arguably worked better - but working better is arguably a bad thing, because some parts of the show are arguably not meant to make sense in the first place!

What Wikipedia did is put the six most credible of these orderings in a big table, sorted it by air date by default, and wrote some paragraphs about what the gently caress is happening.

Of course, it helps that there weren't any "seasons" to deal with.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
A lot of the Uncle Grandpa hate I've seen is from people who are like "Ugh, this plebeian, CHILDISH cartoon needs to stay away from this majestic work of artistic beauty that is Steven Universe!". It's people who are insecure about liking a cartoon and who want to go "NO my cartoon is different, that other one is a big dumb baby cartoon for babies!"

Basically it's people like Ronaldo

V ----- Oh, I don't wanna imply EVERYONE who dislikes the show is like this, I'm not a fan, what I mean is the general feeling of people who are horrified at the crossover seem to be this way.

Also holy poo poo that link below is pro-click.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 14, 2015

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Uncle Grandpa is just not the kind of show I would watch - there are next to no women and almost everyone is white - but if Miss Sugar requested the crossover and the crew likes the episode then I'm sure I will too.

ALSO

For everyone who is like me and expects Peridot to start freestyling during stronger than you:
http://magicgirlkyubey.tumblr.com/post/113625881057/

Edit: Full song: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/90nwkijcq752tk8/Stronger+Than+You+%2B+Rap.mp3

vivisecting fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 14, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I enjoy the premise of Uncle grandpa, and I thought it was good for like four episodes before the idea wore out its welcome.

I enjoyed Secret Mountain Fort Awesome and Problem Solverz, so I have bad taste in cartoons and even this guy doesn't like UG that much.

Pizza Steve owns, though

And the Ric Flair episode. That ones good.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

IanJ posted:

I was honestly just psyched about the idea of Season 2 still on the way, since there could be a different opening to come with some of the new gem characters we've yet to see fighting alongside the current gem team, or showcasing the new additions of Ruby and Sapphire. I certainly wasn't complaining about the crossover or what's going to come in Season 2. I actually like Uncle Grandpa. It's hit and miss sometimes, definitely a miss this week if only because it was right after the awesome SU two-parter, but it's rare and refreshing to see such a bold Tex Avery style show in today's era of story cartoons, and I can't wait to see how two different shows are going to go together.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

vivisecting posted:

Uncle Grandpa is just not the kind of show I would watch - there are next to no women and almost everyone is white - but if Miss Sugar requested the crossover and the crew likes the episode then I'm sure I will too.

ALSO

For everyone who is like me and expects Peridot to start freestyling during stronger than you:

drat, you beat me to it! This is excellent, everyone click.

For me, I watched and enjoyed the first episode of Uncle Grandpa. It was funny and unique. I haven't watched any episodes since, but not out of any malice; I just have other stuff to do.

The only reason I was at all worried about the crossover was because of a general distrust of any crossover of unrelated franchises, built up over many, many years of TV & cartoon watching. But being assured that it was a creator-driven, quality episode, by the creators themselves, that's plenty to get me onboard. :unsmith:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

vivisecting posted:

ALSO

Edit: Full song: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/90nwkijcq752tk8/Stronger+Than+You+%2B+Rap.mp3

Ahahaha yes, that was pretty quality.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

vivisecting posted:

This is so good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay, I don't know if anyone can answer this, but I quick merchendise question:

http://www.welovefine.com/8488-pearl-tube-fit-and-flare-dress.html#.VQSqY5v0DMI

Has anyone bought this pearl dress from we love fine? I want to get it, but only if it doesn't have any glitter on it.

The last time I bought a dress from we love fine it was COVERED with glitter and it got all over me and my carpet and my house. I ended up returning the dress in frustration. I can't tell from the picture if the dress has glitter on it, can anyone in the thread let me know if the dress is glitter free?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Shitenshi posted:

Tex Avery style show

You keep saying this. Could you explain?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I don't care much for Uncle Grandpa but I plan on watching the episode because I'm really hopeful that Amethyst will eat Pizza Steve.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Okay, I feel pretty stupid realizing I posted a thumbnail the other day instead of this. Sorry 'bout that.

Whoever wanted the CN logo gone, here ya go.

e:

XboxPants posted:

I get where you're coming from, and for me, the fact that you guys say it's a good episode is enough. You guys haven't let us down yet, so I'm hoping for good things! :D

No kidding. Seriously, I think this is the most consistently good show I've watched. It's weird how much faith I have before each episode that I will not only like it, but probably love it.

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 14, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

I don't care much for Uncle Grandpa but I plan on watching the episode because I'm really hopeful that Amethyst will eat Pizza Steve.

Plot twist: Pizza Steve eats Amethyst.

Either that or they fuse and form Pizzamethyst, which is pretty much just regular Amethyst covered with cheese and pepperoni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I think the gem homeworld is a giant gem. When gems are on the homeworld they are fused with it. The hand ship was the hand of that gem's body.

• Locked thread