Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Steven is a human, and he has a human body. Rose was not and did not. She clearly had to make do with magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
what some people think things will be like between Lapis and Jasper the next time we see them;

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

drrockso20 posted:

what some people think things will be like between Lapis and Jasper the next time we see them;

This seems like a fetish thing.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

XboxPants posted:

I disagree. I think it is, in fact, very good! :haw: You rule!

Didn't you have to do some kind of noise-cancellation to get that isolated one? It sounds really good.

Yeah. I had to get a sound sample of the wreckage burning in the background and noise-cancel that against the audio clip. I had to replace a couple of the crackles and pops with dead air, too.

Glad you all enjoy these! It was fun making these for everyone.

WickedHate posted:

This seems like a fetish thing.

You've been on the internet too long.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So I realize this was pretty much settled already, and we all decided this guy on the right was a young Greg:

But I found a better example to compare it to, so I figured someone might be interested.

(wow, P-dotty gots a super recognizable silhouette)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Tiger Millionaire is a great episode especially after watching some old WWE PPVs. Now I want Amethyst and Steven to fuse and just use wrestling moves. Just imagine them giving Jasper a Stone Cold Stunner or an RKO :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

J.A.B.C. posted:

no, it's definitely a fetish thing

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

Tollymain posted:

no, it's definitely a fetish thing

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If Steven is a hybrid and can breed true, Rose succeeded in making the Kindergarten obsolete.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Gotta say "breed true" seems like a really odd wording to use for talking about a person (as opposed to an animal). Especially a ten-year-old one.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

OldTennisCourt posted:

Tiger Millionaire is a great episode

This was the episode that set the hook. Cat Fingers and Frybo were the bait, but Tiger Millionaire just hit all the right buttons. When I introduce someone to the show, it's the episode I choose first.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Man, Tiger Millionaire is one of my least favorite. Love Cat Fingers and Frybo though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm personally curious about what the SU's equivalent to the FAA would make out of the gem ship landing, taking off, and crashing to earth. In this universe planes exist, cell phones exist, rockets exist, so the technology for different kinds of radar tracking different things would clearly exist. Rebecca Sugar could always use the "Oh, its so advanced it doesn't get picked up by our primitive technology" but that'd feel like a cop out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

inklesspen posted:

Gotta say "breed true" seems like a really odd wording to use for talking about a person (as opposed to an animal). Especially a ten-year-old one.

On the tablet I have to use short sentences.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We've seen what normal people think about gem weirdness - they just don't think it's all that special. This extends even to the government: Mayor Dewey just takes it for granted that the town is a disaster magnet even though he knows those "magical ladies" are always involved somehow. It's an alternate world that has been under the protection of the Crystal Gems for six thousand years. Their adventures are like the weather. What government on earth would be paranoid about a phenomenon that's been a fact of life since prehistory, or have the hubris to think they can control it?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
This has been mentioned several times but I gotta say, I just love how Peridot was built up to be this terrible villain and in the end she turns out to be just a lame nerd stuck at a dead-end tech support job.

And that rap was amazing. I wonder if we'll see a song from her in the actual show.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd actually like to see the mayor dealing with the administrative end of the gem stuff. Maybe he could pawn some of it off to Steven.

"Look, I know you'd rather be hanging out with your sister-aunt-caretakers, but if we don't get these forms filled out and submitted we won't get federal money to fix the docks you all destroyed!"

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Pick posted:

To be honest, I wasn't really sold on the show until Steven's Lion.

Pick posted:

Love Cat Fingers

Are you a literal cat or lion making human posts, with only an avatar to surreptitiously betray your true identity? I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought your avatar was of a Betelguiseian.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Jay O posted:

Are you a literal cat or lion making human posts, with only an avatar to surreptitiously betray your true identity? I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE.

That would explain the otherwise inexplicable dislike for Tiger Millionaire -- as the episode doesn't actually contain any cats great or small.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jay O posted:

I can't tell if you're referencing the running joke or somehow "Pick is actually a cat" has developed independently like six times.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Put me down in the column of "Greg totally was around somehow during the first gem war." On first listen, it sounds like he's saying that, then as he continues, it kind of gets explained away, but maybe not really? Seems like the kind of thing where it will turn out he actually WAS saying that.

Maybe we'll get some time travel weirdness:

Rose Quartz goes to Greg's concert and he meets her for the first time.
They fall in love.
Greg gets a hold of the time travel device at some point and travels back in time.
Greg takes part in the war and helps Rose, while trying to hide who he is.
Rose saves her friends and Greg, then Greg disappears.
Several thousand years pass, Rose sees a flier for Greg's concert.
Rose goes to Greg's concert.
They fall in love, with us now knowing Rose already knew Greg.
Greg gets a hold of the time travel device and travels back in time.
A few seconds later he returns and Rose reveals she had waited for him for a long time before seeing him in concert.

I'm just not really sure how we would see that, since the show is mostly from Steven's point of few. Unless it's a story Greg tells Steven.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

RandomPauI posted:

Pick posted:

I can't tell if you're referencing the running joke or somehow "Pick is actually a cat" has developed independently like six times.

The latter, actually! Have you considered the possibility that it is true?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Teek posted:

Put me down in the column of "Greg totally was around somehow during the first gem war." On first listen, it sounds like he's saying that, then as he continues, it kind of gets explained away, but maybe not really? Seems like the kind of thing where it will turn out he actually WAS saying that.

Maybe we'll get some time travel weirdness:

Rose Quartz goes to Greg's concert and he meets her for the first time.
They fall in love.
Greg gets a hold of the time travel device at some point and travels back in time.
Greg takes part in the war and helps Rose, while trying to hide who he is.
Rose saves her friends and Greg, then Greg disappears.
Several thousand years pass, Rose sees a flier for Greg's concert.
Rose goes to Greg's concert.
They fall in love, with us now knowing Rose already knew Greg.
Greg gets a hold of the time travel device and travels back in time.
A few seconds later he returns and Rose reveals she had waited for him for a long time before seeing him in concert.

I'm just not really sure how we would see that, since the show is mostly from Steven's point of few. Unless it's a story Greg tells Steven.

Alternatively: Greg is an actual caveman, his first concert was literally just him banging rocks together.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Tiger Millionaire is a great episode especially after watching some old WWE PPVs. Now I want Amethyst and Steven to fuse and just use wrestling moves. Just imagine them giving Jasper a Stone Cold Stunner or an RKO :allears:

Pearl and Garnet fuse together to create the true heel of the League of Anti-Wrestlers and we have the craziest cage match ever.

(the size difference of these fusions would be immense)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

some more pics;

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Since the mayor has a crush on Pearl, and people think of Peridot as nega-Pearl, I'm also casting my vote for Peridot as future mayoral assistant. Let Dewey transfer his awkward crush to an even more awkward place.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

To be honest, I wasn't really sold on the show until Steven's Lion.

I've always liked SU but until about a third of the way into the show it just didn't "click" with me the way AT or GF did. I think it was because the show feels like it starts on episode three and takes some time to let you in on a lot really basic information that every character already knows (what happened to Steven's mom, what the Gems are, what is it they're protecting earth from, etc). Had the show had a proper introductory episode where they sat down and explained most of this stuff I think I would have gotten on board much earlier. I think it was the fantastically messed up ending of Steven and the Stevens that finally won me over.

That song at the end man...

:stare:

I love you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think that the point was that the Gems' nature, what they fight and exactly what happened to Rose are all things that the Gems were uncomfortable talking about, hence always avoiding questions trying nebulously to 'protect' Steven through underestimating him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Swillkitsch posted:

Since the mayor has a crush on Pearl, and people think of Peridot as nega-Pearl, I'm also casting my vote for Peridot as future mayoral assistant. Let Dewey transfer his awkward crush to an even more awkward place.

if Peridot is going to get involved in a weird semi-romantic relationship with a resident of Beach City, it needs to be with Ronaldo, also even more images;

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

An anti-censorship reading of the show would not want for evidence, I think.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

Lol

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

RandomPauI posted:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10824296/1/A-Crystar-Heart-s-Easy-to-Break-Baby

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

https://soundcloud.com/katerinu/stronger-than-you-feat-peridot

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Alternate bad end sick rhyme:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I only noticed on rewatching, Sapphire was singing Connie's ringtone.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I think that the point was that the Gems' nature, what they fight and exactly what happened to Rose are all things that the Gems were uncomfortable talking about, hence always avoiding questions trying nebulously to 'protect' Steven through underestimating him.

My complaint isn't that we don't find out the details of the war or how Rose died. It's that we don't learn who anyone is or what physical and emotional stakes are at play until several episodes in. For example in the first episode we deal with Steven having his powers start to manifest for the first time. The problem is that at that point we don't know what the Gems are, who they are, what they're doing, what the gem on Steven's belly is, how it works, why he has it, why a human is part of the team, or what his relationship is to the Gems so I didn't really care if he succeeded or not. In fact, until the second episode said otherwise I actually assumed that Steven was a normal kid who, perhaps in the unaired pilot, had accidentally fused with a Gem and now was a part of the team because they can't get it off of him. This kind of thing made the show a bit frustrating for a while.

EDIT: Just caught "Rose's Scabbard", which I apparently had missed. Dayum! That was even more emotionally intense than the season finale. Now seconding "Steven Universe Season 2: Each Episode Sadder and Gayer Than the Last" as the new thread title.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 15, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

drrockso20 posted:

some more pics;

this is horrible
this rules

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

this is horrible
this rules

I'll admit I find Peridot/Jasper to be a potentially adorable concept(I'll admit I'm more of a shipper than is probably healthy for a goon)

• Locked thread