Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Do the unique buildings actually have any perks other than increasing land value and unlocking the monuments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

oxford_town posted:

Do the unique buildings actually have any perks other than increasing land value and unlocking the monuments?

Nope, they essentially function the same as parks: City beautification and attract tourists.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Finally finished the Oasis map. I playtested it a bit to make sure everything works well and it looks good to me, water flow works great, there's train and plane connections and there's plenty of oil deposits for anyone wishing to live out their middle eastern oil baron fantasies.

I added both the map and lookup table to Steam Workshop.

Here's a gif of it in action.

Here's the map called Dunes Oasis.

And here's the color correction called Desert! color correction. Works well on any Tropical map.

Hope you like!

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Anyone know if the size selector on http://terrain.party/ is for that giant blue square, or the actual squares representing the game region? And if I want a map to scale, would I set that to 25km, or 50km (since the in game squares are 2kmx2km)?

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
So uh, I'm definitely not capable of making the incredible mods that are already creeping up on the workshop, but I do want to link the one I just finished. All it does is add a button to access the City Statistics graph to the main UI. It was annoying me that it was socked away in the main menu with load/save/options/etc. I can't help but imagine that I'm not the only one who is totally appaled by this horrific, terrible, extremely minor inconvenience, so here you go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408613485

There's a bug right now where closing the graph won't unpause your game, but it doesn't hurt anything. I'm going to look into it tomorrow. (There's also the chance the button may not look right on 16:10 resolutions. That's a bigger nuisance I need to solve.)

In other news:

It's one-way you don't need a red light I swear :eng99:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Alkydere posted:

It's a good thing that in a pinch the game will just teleport people to their destination because this keeps happening.

All I'm seeing here is someone that didn't play transport tycoon :colbert:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Orgophlax posted:

Anyone know if the size selector on http://terrain.party/ is for that giant blue square, or the actual squares representing the game region? And if I want a map to scale, would I set that to 25km, or 50km (since the in game squares are 2kmx2km)?

It's for the size of the whole map, which is 18x18km. I don't know why you would want 25 or 50.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Noyemi K posted:

I've started a city on the MARS map. And it rocks! The city and the map, that is :)

MARS-SAT data confirms that the landing operation was successful; activity can be seen on the surface.

The busway connecting Barzov Colony's residences and commerce to its industrial sector is quite popular and well-used, cutting down over 50% of worker traffic.

A view of the crater from Barzov Square.

That busway really was a smashing idea. I make a killing in fares and it saves so much loving traffic. It also looks nice :cheers:

I'm going to experiment with a combination of the "busway" concept (using the workshop pieces you made) with the "industrial coffee filter" design concept I found SimNation. I feel like their power combined could really help compartmentalize traffic. If it works out pretty well, I'll post up some pictures.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

The entire box is the map including the surrounding terrain.

An entire CSL map is 9x9 squares each 2x2 km, but only the middle 5x5 squares are buildable while the surrounding 2 squares on each side function as "distant terrain".

The selector on terrain.party should also show you an overlay of the actually buildable 5x5 squares as part of the selection box.

After getting the heightmap data from terrain.party you'll still have to load it into a new map in the game and fill it with water, trees, outside connections, and industry resources.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Are parked cars on roads actually parked? They vanish when you upgrade the road to a grass/tree variant. I'm not using any parking lot 'parks' so i'm wondering where do CIMS park when all roads get upgraded?

High density urban streets are jam packed with cars (which looks awesome btw, sorta like NYC!) , if you upgrade them, do they park in make believe basement parking or?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Got my coal industry park set up I think.

I love this game

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
As far as I can tell the point of fused grids is just to make sure nobody drives down a little neighbourhood street just to get somewhere else. Make the squares so people can walk across them anywhere, but cars mostly stick to the outsides. I'm sure someone here can explain it better though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I really wish this parks/commerce relationship thing was fixed. The expo center and Shadow the Hedgehog Memorial Stadium should be surrounded by touristy traps, not executive finance suites :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I think I am going to have to bulldoze over half my industry and move it to a new square. I clogged up my traffic by having it grow organically around my highway system. It won't likely help the downtown commercial traffic, but at least my highway and northern streets won't be slammed.

Is there a mod that fixes the parks/commercial bug, besides the max desire mod? Bulldozing all my parks and rebuilding doesn't sound like fun.

Also, does bridge height affect boat traffic? I just realized the bridges I build seem really low, but if the boats just clip through, then it shouldn't matter. Not that I saw any boats passing through there anyway. They would always bust a u turn before the bridges were even built.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ToastyPotato posted:

I think I am going to have to bulldoze over half my industry and move it to a new square. I clogged up my traffic by having it grow organically around my highway system. It won't likely help the downtown commercial traffic, but at least my highway and northern streets won't be slammed.

Is there a mod that fixes the parks/commercial bug, besides the max desire mod? Bulldozing all my parks and rebuilding doesn't sound like fun.

Also, does bridge height affect boat traffic? I just realized the bridges I build seem really low, but if the boats just clip through, then it shouldn't matter. Not that I saw any boats passing through there anyway. They would always bust a u turn before the bridges were even built.

Boats don't give a gently caress. They will drive over land and straight through buildings.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Post that video of the boats doing that.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Any fix for the lack of commercial demand? I made a new map and started a new city and I have a fraction of the commercial zoning my old city had, yet a similar population size and zero demand. Is this a bug?

Anyways, I made an atoll map, let me know if I should put it up on the workshop.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm going to assume the C demand is a bug because it doesn't make sense otherwise. Parks shouldn't have anything to do with it, except possibly increase demand since parks also attract tourists sometimes. Destroying parks to fix it is dumb an I have kind of been sitting on my city as a result while I wait for a fix. Though I should be able to fix my industry traffic without breaking things.

I hope CO fixes it soon. Have they acknowledged it on reddit or Twitter?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Is there any way to fix this? I can't use either harbor as a result.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

So the dam I built on Two Rivers is too dammy, drying up and riverbed and causing most of my water pumps to suck up nothing but sand and backsliding sewage.

Is there anyway to open up the dam at all and get running water again, or am I going to have to delete this one and dam up the entire 'mouth' of the rivers to get enough pressure?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The Muffinlord posted:

Is there any way to fix this? I can't use either harbor as a result.

The red dotted line points to a shipping lane that the boats have to use, it can't connect to the route since the shipping lane is blocked by a big land mass. You'll have to put your harbour on water on the other side of that land mass, in a position where the red line doesn't have to go through any land to get to the yellow lines.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I can only put my ports on the other side of the river? They're not just going to recreate Metal Gear Solid 2 every time they depart, right?

EDIT: I should clarify that the shipping lane ends right there. Right in the center of my city.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Foxhound posted:

Do these replace the default buildings or just add to the pool of possible appearances that a house will take?

The latter, as far as I know.

PowderKeg posted:

I'm seeing this because the modders didn't make thumbnails, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes. I'd love to know how to do that personally.

So far, there doesn't seem to be a way to actually add thumbnails for assets.

vodkat posted:

Its blowing my mind that mods like this are coming out with the game only having been out for a week.

CO seriously should buy out some of these mods and incorporate them into the base game.

Ciaphas posted:

Can someone explain this fused grid business like I was a slow stupid child, because wikipedia is making me feel like aforesaid :saddowns:

Basically, it's a street design meant to get some of the traffic flow benefits of suburbia (cul-de-sacs and branching streets with low traffic, with the main roads used for point A to point B travel), while still being about as walkable as a strict grid.

HopperUK posted:

As far as I can tell the point of fused grids is just to make sure nobody drives down a little neighbourhood street just to get somewhere else. Make the squares so people can walk across them anywhere, but cars mostly stick to the outsides. I'm sure someone here can explain it better though.

Pretty much.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Chewbot posted:

Finally finished the Oasis map. I playtested it a bit to make sure everything works well and it looks good to me, water flow works great, there's train and plane connections and there's plenty of oil deposits for anyone wishing to live out their middle eastern oil baron fantasies.

And here's the color correction called Desert! color correction. Works well on any Tropical map.

Hope you like!

This is awesome work, thanks for this. Looking forward to trying it out.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I've never uploaded anything to the steam workshop before, how does the publish function work from inside Cities: Skylines? Whenever I click publish on my map, it ends up uploading what looks like a blank, nameless file when I look at it in my steam workshop files.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Enjoyed playing this game so much that I bought it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Harmonica posted:

Has anyone found any working locations with height maps in the UK? Or any method for obtaining good maps other than this? There's a method I know people use for Farming Simulator but I doubt it produces as smooth heightmaps.

I wanted to use the Stratford/Milton Keynes/Bletchley area because that would seem like a fun project (and clearly I hate myself), but no dice :(

I tried making a heightmap of Glasgow using the Ordinance Survey Terrain50 data, but couldn't find a way to convert the .asc files to a png of the right size without losing the resolution down to 8-bit, which just created a ghastly mess I couldn't summon the effort to fix.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Any fix for the lack of commercial demand? I made a new map and started a new city and I have a fraction of the commercial zoning my old city had, yet a similar population size and zero demand. Is this a bug?

Anyways, I made an atoll map, let me know if I should put it up on the workshop.

You should put it on the workshop.

Does this game just not have an autosave...?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Anyone else find this game has a lot of aliasing even with all the settings cranked up?

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Here is a question. I have an industry area north of my city with a cargo train station and another industry to the east also with a cargo station. Now each of the industries export their goods to the nearest station but all the imports seem to be arriving at the north one. Is there any way to stop this or am I not understand this right?

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Chewbot posted:

Hope you like!

FYI, I think the filename on the color correction might not be what you want. Looks like it's called Test_04_Bleach in the dropdown.

Awesome work, though. It looks great!

edit: I also had some fun with one of your other color corrections:

All that remained were advertisements and despair. :negative:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The same guy who made all those low density residential building variants did the same for low density commercial.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408062884

UberJumper posted:

There's a mod for that.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406123642

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Roadie posted:

The latter, as far as I know.

CO seriously should buy out some of these mods and incorporate them into the base game.

Thanks, and I'm guessing a lot of features that people are yelling about will be patched in because some of them feels baseline and I'm hoping the devs are reading/listening to the players.

In other news, here's a beautiful pileup, it goes on for another screen or so:

And this is ridiculous, stop burning poo poo your retards:

New policy idea: "OSHA inspections. Raises taxes, lowers fire risk, causes unemployment at random."

Edit: Someone imported a heightmap from the Netherlands lol
http://i.imgur.com/lLRPGlF.jpg

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 15, 2015

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

UberJumper posted:

You should put it on the workshop.

I published it in the game, it is added to my workshop files that I can browse, but it is all blank. At the top it says "Current visibility: Hidden" with no option to change that. Not really sure what to do at this point.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

The Duggler posted:

Anyone else find this game has a lot of aliasing even with all the settings cranked up?

Use the ssao mod from the workshop or 4k downsampling if you have a newer nvidia card

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

TheOrange posted:

I've been liking this game a lot so far, but seeing some of the stuff from mods has really blown me away, I can't imagine what this thing will look like in a year between mods and DLC.

One big problem I keep running into though is traffic, seems like I can't get my people to use the highways I have laid out or that the map has but they go crazy for regular streets with traffic lights.

Don't mind the nightmare corridor in the top middle...

Also I hope someone mods/patches it so that budget changes can show up a little more immediately, had it happen a few times where I overextended and fell into the red.

Make all the connecting roads in between your districts that are not highway (ie. the bridges between west city and south core) another district with the policy no heavy traffic. Just use the small brush and draw on the road over the bridge and add a bit on the ends to make sure they understand. Voila, majority industry vehicles which cause traffic will take the highways and the high flowing ramps.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Roadie posted:

The same guy who made all those low density residential building variants did the same for low density commercial.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408062884

There's a mod for that.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406123642

Games › Cities: Skylines - There's a mod for that

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

TheQat posted:

Use the ssao mod from the workshop or 4k downsampling if you have a newer nvidia card

I just got a 970 and whenever I try to set the resolution above 1080p it just doesn't take.

Odd, I'll check out that ssao mod thanks for the heads up

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Foxhound posted:

Thanks, and I'm guessing a lot of features that people are yelling about will be patched in because some of them feels baseline and I'm hoping the devs are reading/listening to the players.

In other news, here's a beautiful pileup, it goes on for another screen or so:

And this is ridiculous, stop burning poo poo your retards:

New policy idea: "OSHA inspections. Raises taxes, lowers fire risk, causes unemployment at random."

Edit: Someone imported a heightmap from the Netherlands lol
http://i.imgur.com/lLRPGlF.jpg
The arbitrary programmed resistance to service spread is kind of weird with certain networks. The good news is fire engines putting out a fire isn't any more disruptive to traffic than the average cargo delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

The Duggler posted:

I just got a 970 and whenever I try to set the resolution above 1080p it just doesn't take.

Odd, I'll check out that ssao mod thanks for the heads up

I usually have to set the 4k thing in GeForce Experience for it to work. Haven't tried with this game though, it might be broken

• Locked thread