Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Huge_Midget posted:

The photog nerd in me wants to know what you are shooting with?

Just an intro crop dslr, the Canon T3i. Don't have much glass either, I usually stick to my nifty fifty, and the 28mm f2.8 primes. I've also got the 18-55 kit lens that isn't bad, and my rarely used 55-250 kit lens. Don't have the equipment infront of me so I might be a touch wrong in my description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The whole Hyundai thing is literally a sack of poo poo.

A velostomy bag.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Become one of those people you think are crazy and get lettering all over your Hyundai "XYZ HYUNDAI SUCKS AND HYUNDAI CARS SUCK" and park across from the dealer.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

slidebite posted:

Become one of those people you think are crazy and get lettering all over your Hyundai "XYZ HYUNDAI SUCKS AND HYUNDAI CARS SUCK" and park across from the dealer.

I like this idea.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

blk posted:

I like this idea.

I DO TOO. ALL WARRANTY WORK AND NO NAVIGATION MAKE BAJAHA A DULL BOY.

THERE IS ONLY ONE FATE FITTING FOR THIS DEMON SPAWN

GO BACK TO THE HELL FROM WHENCE YOU CAME

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Double posting like a boss.

Arbitration got back to us and has decided that Hyundai is wrong. We have given them enough changes to address the issues, and we have been very compliant with all the requests they have had of us in the last year of ownership. They're sending us the rest of the paperwork, which we should be getting later this week, to go ahead with the arbitration claim in spite of Hyundai refusing to acknowledge a valid claim . So that's something I guess.

Lets see how this plays out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

They got back to you on a weekend? :aaa:

That's a good sign. So if it is in your favor, what's the process? Does Hyundai give you another car :lol:?

Refund? Or does it vary?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

No clue as to how things proceed with this. The CAMVAP website makes it seem like we'd get a cash settlement minus some value due to our use of the vehicle. How that value is determined is a mystery for now, plus since these issues have been present since a month into ownership I don't know how that plays into the calculation. Maybe the paperwork we get next week will clear things up.

Pretty much going in blind and I guess we'll just see what happens. Crossing fingers and hoping for the best.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Time to buy you an XV.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Velostomy bag, hahaha.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Glad CAMVAP is seeing things your way! Have you made any plans on replacement?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Time to buy you an XV.

In glorious nippon orange.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

In glorious nippon orange.

Do they even come in any other colors, or is it just that the rest of them are so bland otherwise that the only ones I see are ACVW orange?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I saw a dark blue one one time, maybe it was wrapped cause yea they are all orange.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I like the really bright green too.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jamal posted:

I like the really bright green too.

I keep seeing one in my town and I really like it, kind of like the color the Fiesta had for a while (which also was put on the last year or two of the last-gen Ford Escape and, inexplicably, the Mercury Mountaineer!)

EDIT: Proof: :psyduck:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

The Orange Mage posted:

I keep seeing one in my town and I really like it, kind of like the color the Fiesta had for a while (which also was put on the last year or two of the last-gen Ford Escape and, inexplicably, the Mercury Mountaineer!)

EDIT: Proof: :psyduck:
Ugh, the worst color, even on something like a Fiesta. I had one as a rental for longer than I'd care to admit and it was really embarrassing. I can't count how many times I said, "No, this isn't my car, I swear. It's just a rental." :( Its nickname was "the pistachio." Hideous.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

No plans on replacement yet, not getting my hopes up too high in case this yields nothing. Worst case scenario, nothing comes from arbitration, we keep giving the Velostomy Turdo to the dealer for their various repair shenanigans, they replace the dashboard and introduce a bunch of new and exciting squeaks and rattles (Seriously, it's not that hard to do, I replaced a dashboard with a friend in his 09 TSX and it's been perfectly quiet without a single squeak or rattle, and that was in a tiny home garage with no service manual and both of us going in blind for this job, neither of us being certified mechanics or having formal schooling for auto repair) and we trade it in for something else in a year or two when we're no longer upside down on the loan.

I really want to try an Audi as our next car. I've always loved the styling and I've wanted to try owning a SUPERIOR GERMAN ENGINEERING vehicle. The over-complicated BS and bend-over pricing for parts still has me wary. Maybe a BMW instead too. I can't really decide. Knowing my luck I'd probably end up with the one no-issues-ever unicorn too after the experience with the supposedly turned-a-new-leaf-in-reliability Hyundai. How bad can it be?

Requirements for replacements is kinda fluid. Only must-have's that I can think of is a nice non-boring color. The 50 shades of grey treatment that everyone seems to go for in new cars is so dull, I refuse to own a boring color unless it comes with a lot of other benefits attached. Thankfully my parents just reconsidered what colour of Forester they ordered from Subaru, orginally they went with the dark grey metallic which doesn't look bad, but now they changed the order to a Jasmine Green one, which I think is at least a touch more exciting.

Kinda want to avoid going FWD again as well, especially without an actual mechanical LSD. Even with winter tires it never accelerates as well as you'd hope, and because of the weight transfer on acceleration it can still spin the tires in 2nd in most conditions. 200hp isn't blazing quick, and I can see why people say 300+hp in a FWD application is unmanageable. Plus power-on oversteer is so much more fun in slippery conditions than plowing forward understeer.

I've always been fond of the in-your-face orange that Holdbrooks seems to love, was pretty close to ordering a Vitamin C Veloster, but thankfully didn't since that colour photographs 100x better than it is in person. I was such a let down when I saw one on the lot a few weeks after buying our Blue one.

The XV looks like it comes in only one fun color, the rest are all boring and drab for the regular models.

The blue and the lime green are both Hybrid only colors, at least for the 2015's

Other options are the FRS/BRZ twins, which seems like it would be pretty fun to own and drive, although tempting to mod after a while. My Fiancee also really likes the Juke, and I kinda like how the RS or whatever trim looks on it, but I haven't looked into it so no idea how good it actually is. Friend of mine keeps joking that if we get one he'll modify the rear badge to read 'Joke'.

And obnoxious colours are awesome! They tend to work best on small hatchbacks or various high-end sports cars and supercars though. SUV's like that mountaineer should definitely not be that colour at all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The XV is just an econobox at heart, but I think it would make a fine family car.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't know too much about trading cars in and what not but will you take a hit on value because the car has had so much work done on it so far?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I think it would make a good family car, and being a Subaru fanboy that I am, I should be able to enjoy it even if it's a bit boring econoboxy. Although the more sporty/luxurious/exciting ideas are really tempting. It's going to be a tough decision, I'll just have to actually give it some serious thought if/when we come to it. It seems like all the fun turbo subies are out of my price range because of the cost of borrowing associated with them. The base WRX climbs to about $40k after delivery and financing costs.

I'm not too sure how this warranty work impacts the trade in value, ideally we were hoping to keep this drat car for a fairly long time but it looks like that's not the best idea due to the reliability of the Veloster. I'm just trying to minimize the loss we'll take because of buying this lemon new.

Selling 3rd party might be tough because of how public I've made the various issues with this Veloster, and trading it in seems like it'll be the easiest way to kill two birds with one stone. It has a prefect dealer service record for all the maintenance, plus a small mountain of paperwork for all the warranty work. Plus other than the dealer induced damage, it's in better condition inside and out than when it was delivered (dealer monkeys and their microscratch inducing pre-delivery washes :argh:)

If you're going to buy a car, buying it from a borderline ocd detail oriented previous owner is your best bet for getting something factory fresh.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wait until you see what the arbitration offers you, and then buy 1500quidporsches 1994 SVX out of Calgary as your driver. :v:

please do so I don't buy the loving thing

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The SVX is starting to grow on me the more I look at them, I'd watch out!

Anyway, no news to report on the Arbitration front, all's quiet. There is Baja news though.

First up, I went through more old photos looking for ones I like, here's three more I have found.

And now for today's news. On the way into Uni I heard a small suspension knock from the front (could have been a coincidence) while accelerating at full throttle, afterwards I got a vibration (from the front I think) when accelerating quickly, no other noises or vibrations under any other conditions, Quickly taking a look when I parked, I couldn't see anything underneath and just driving along or accelerating at a normal pace yielded no symptoms. I park and go about my day, hoping it's nothing serious.

Finish off my day, and start heading home, now the symptoms are a bit worst, every once in a while there would be a *ting* noise, as though something was binding. Took it to a nearby carwash to get some of the grime off the car before taking the wheel off to properly asses the situation.

Hey look, I found my noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5J58Po_N5I

Looks like the inner CV joint on the driver side front axle is shattered, something let go in there and I'll have to replace it. Decided that it should be able to limp home if kept my speed down and accelerated gently. I set the DCCD to higher lockup to try to keep everything spinning together under acceleration, and off I went. Limped safely home and now I've got to shop around for an axle.

And from the Subie thread:

jamal posted:

Too much launch control and flat foot shifting?

Probably the flat foot shifting, I'm really fond of using it and have it setup prefect for buttery smooth shifts, so essentially no torque on the shift directly to full torque on clutch release. Launch control I reserve for shits and giggles on loose surfaces to minimize driveline shock. There's also the fact that they're WRX axles and not nearly as beefy as even the STI axles. I guess I'll just have to start treating them as consumables at this power level, going custom high torque axles is pricey, and I'd rather sacrifice an axle to the torque gods than a trans.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I broke an inner CV by keeping my foot down over a rise big enough to get the wheels off the ground. Tires spun up and it went pop. Then the other side did the same thing a few weeks later just pulling out of a driveway. Got a bad vibration accelerating from about 45-50 and then otherwise drove normally so it took me awhile to diagnose. Replacements were just cheap napa axles.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Honestly, with how lovely the roads have become, it wouldn't surprise me if this was from just hitting a hidden pothole under throttle. It's brutal driving around town, I've been trying to stick to going on the Perimeter of the city since the highways are usually smoother than the city streets, but today I figured I could make better time through the city since traffic dies down after 9:00 am, Guess that wasn't that good of an idea.

Junkyard axles look to be in the $100-$200 range, so not too bad. Haven't checked price for New/Aftermarket yet.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Some news with the Veloster, Hyundai disagree's with us and CANVAP and is officially contesting that we have a valid claim for arbitration. They're dragging this out as long as possible with them reply as late as legally possible, and once this matter is settled then we can actually begin the arbitration process. I know for certain that I will personally never own another Hyundai simply based on how they are acting as a company. Based on how difficult they are trying to make this process, I'm guessing this might not lead anywhere anytime soon. Oh well, the dealer still has agreed to replace the dashboard (although when, who knows?) and it's going in on this Tuesday for them to attempt another fix for the navigation.

I've pretty much set my mind that I don't want to keep this thing around long term. Worst case, I'll keep it for another year, year and a half, and sell it. I keep trying to think of what to replace it with and I'm not sure. Ended up looking at a used Audi A3 Quattro at one of the dealers, I like the styling of it and it looks stunning in red, but the interior was a little cramped and getting in you have to be careful or else you'll smack your head. The steering wheel felt really really nice in my hands, I think it solidified my want for a nicer steering wheel in the Baja, the GT-Spec D-shaped wheel is the one I've been eyeing for a while now.

Otherwise I've just been juggling wants, needs, and price and I can't decide where I want to end up with the next car.

Re: Flat Foot Shifting chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE0GAj0aB-g

Also picked up a new Suretrack axle that'll be going in this weekend, thanks to a local club member who hooked me up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

Some news with the Veloster, Hyundai disagree's with us and CANVAP and is officially contesting that we have a valid claim for arbitration. They're dragging this out as long as possible with them reply as late as legally possible, and once this matter is settled then we can actually begin the arbitration process.
What's the timeframe? How long do they have to contest their side and how long until a decision?

Also, gently caress Hyundai Canada.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

What's the timeframe? How long do they have to contest their side and how long until a decision?

Also, gently caress Hyundai Canada.

Legally they have 10 business days for each reply between them and Canvap, and they apparently have the waiting-to-the-last-possible-second-to-reply down to an art form. It's inconclusive how long this will take before we know if they will finally acknowledge that we have a valid claim, but the Canvap office is thinking we should have this part of it settled before the end of the month. Feels like it's going to be a hunker down and get ready for a long slog type of situation.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bajaha posted:

Ended up looking at a used Audi A3 Quattro at one of the dealers, I like the styling of it and it looks stunning in red, but the interior was a little cramped and getting in you have to be careful or else you'll smack your head.

What year were you looking at? I own an A3 non quattro, ask me anything you'd like.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just reading this has really turned me off on Hyundai in general. I know they make some really great cars these days (... aside from the Veloster), but from a warranty aspect it seems like "gently caress the customer, we got our money" when things go pear-shaped.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 15, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Just reading this has really turned me off on Hyundai in general. I know they make some really great cars these days (... aside from the Veloster), but from a warranty aspect it seems like "gently caress the customer, we got our money" when things go pear-shaped.

x2. I had been looking at a few different new/late-model Hyundais a while back but as this story progresses I'm becoming very glad my old Mazda-based Kias are as close as I've got to that company.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Would it make any difference if we all hammered them via social media?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

8ender posted:

What year were you looking at? I own an A3 non quattro, ask me anything you'd like.

Oh, I remember. Yours looks sleek as hell in black, probably why I'm thinking of the A3 come to think of it. I was looking at a few 2011's they had on the lot (surprisingly all of them were 2011's) but they had some very optimistic pricing ($26k and whatever fee's and taxes, looking it up on VMR at best they should be around $22k retail) and I'd be wanting a little bit higher trim to get projector headlamps and an auto dimming mirror. I don't really have any too specific questions, but in general how is the thing to live with? From the short time I sat in it it felt like it had comfy seats, and other than feeling a bit cramped it was nice to be in. I guess the other thing that has me worried with VW/Audi is the maintenance on them, how accessible are the basics, and how's yours held up? Do I need to start stocking up on specialty tools now? I haven't given it more than a cursory glance, but the 2.0T that Audi has been sticking into everything they make seems like it's an alright engine, any complaints or design flaws I should be aware of?

They are so pretty though :allears:

That's pretty much the perfect way to describe the experience :suicide:

Tommychu posted:

x2. I had been looking at a few different new/late-model Hyundais a while back but as this story progresses I'm becoming very glad my old Mazda-based Kias are as close as I've got to that company.

If only I were so lucky. Live and learn, right?

blk posted:

Would it make any difference if we all hammered them via social media?

Maybe, maybe not, who knows? I've gone as far as just posting about on various forums, and the odd post on instagram about the hyundai. I've tried to keep it neutral and just presenting the issues and responses as they come and letting the events speak for themselves without going all "hurr everything this company ever conceived is a colossal pile of excrement" , but at times I'm sure I was a bit critical. It's difficult to keep a level head with how a lot of these events played out. In any case, I'm not too sure how to start a ruckus on social media, and I've been otherwise sticking to direct contact with trying to get things settled. That said, I wouldn't be able to do much if others took this ownership story and spread it around...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's pretty much my feeling as well. I mean, I know manufacturers just can't/won't give a refund and lose thousands at the drop of a hat, but it sounds like they're being ruled against plus they are having to pay for the warranty repairs. You'd think they should just cut their losses at this point.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I wouldn't go with an used Audi either, this can be painful especially since you aren't in EU, what about a Focus RS ? My neighbor has one since new and it has been trouble free and it's probably the best hot hatch out there, a GTI is decent aswell but there's still the EU problem.
Also if you remember what fight club taught you about car insurances, this is pretty much the same thing with buybacks and warranty claims.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A friend of mine is car shopping and has things narrowed down to a few choices, one of which is a Baja. I linked him your Imgur post and this thread (dunno if AI is public) and he tells me he's not getting the Baja because it will never be as awesome as yours.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I just saw your car on some facebook page, I think it might have been Stance Nation? Looked great. Nice to see something out of the ordinary.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Sh4 posted:

Focus RS?

I don't think NA got the Focus RS until the 2016(2017?) MY, and current rumors are it'll be around STI money, which is a bit much at the moment for a car. As for the used Audi, I'm a little worried about the whole reliability reputation and it being uncharted territory being all "german engineering" and weird fasteners because gently caress you. The styling of them is just really alluring for me, but really how bad can it be?

Rhyno posted:

A friend of mine is car shopping and has things narrowed down to a few choices, one of which is a Baja. I linked him your Imgur post and this thread (dunno if AI is public) and he tells me he's not getting the Baja because it will never be as awesome as yours.

Well, it won't be with that attitude. :colbert:

TheFrailNinja posted:

I just saw your car on some facebook page, I think it might have been Stance Nation? Looked great. Nice to see something out of the ordinary.

:siren: Internet Famous :siren:

:smugdog:

Unless it's on some other page that I don't know about, in which case, I guess let me know.

Now, onto an update: This weekend has been blazing hot here, like 12*C-15*C. It's crazy, we sometimes have snow until mid to late April. With this warmth, I was able to change out my axle, and play around with a camera without freezing my fingers off, so here we go.

First off time to drain the trans fluid, have to save all of it since I have no idea where or if I have any extra-s left over.

While waiting for the gear oil to drain, and enjoying it's pleasant aroma, I went ahead and took some glamour shots

Once it's all out, plug up the hole again, and remove old axle with a prybar. Compare to new, looks good, and put in new axle.

Put the rest of it all back together, and double check all the bolts that were touched. Shiny new axle nut put on as well.

Now took apart the old axle to see the extent of the damage

Woops.

The gods of torque have taken back what's theirs

I've also reconsidered my cats privilege to having legs.

Although this tells a pretty fun story - *Caution* windshield is slippery

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

In the future don't drain the gear oil. Just jack the front up, leave the rear end down, and pop the axles out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nice to see that Whiteline stuff rusts as consistently for you as it does for me. Their tech support always seems flummoxed and confused when you complain about it and then they ask for photographic evidence.

Do Australians just have no concept of weather?

• Locked thread