Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

This guy has it EXACTLY right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
Three olives lives in the city of dallas. And his dad pays the rent. :confused:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Foid One posted:

Three olives lives in the city of dallas. And his dad pays the rent. :confused:

He also got given a house in the suburbs which he rents out lmao.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

I don't understand the appeal of the suburbs. I want to be able to walk to the neighborhood corner store when I need something, not get in a car get on the freeway and drive all the way to some ugly strip mall.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

I don't understand the appeal of the suburbs. I want to be able to walk to the neighborhood corner store when I need something, not get in a car get on the freeway and drive all the way to some ugly strip mall.

Things like "convenience" and "not having long rear end drives for basic necessities" aren't a concern when you have 2,000 sq feet of house biotch

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

opus111 posted:

He also got given a house in the suburbs which he rents out lmao.

lmao what a trustafarian piece of poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pauline Kael posted:

Shut up retard. I have a project truck that I like to work on. I also have two new cars that I drive regularly and maintain, because I'm not a giant goon-babby. If I lived in the City, I'd probably need to go stand in line for a permit to own more than one vehicle, and pay some out of state landlord and extra $300 a month to actually have somewhere to park it, wherein it turns into a crash pad for winos and prostitutes

edit: would also like to point out, not trying to sell people on anything. If you live in a city now, you should absolutely, positively stay there, forever

i live in denver metro and have a project car and 3 parking spots and have three digit rent. also there are garages here where you pay $20 an hour to rent a stall with a lift. if you need help there is an ASE mechanic hanging out that you can tap for 59 an hour to help, or for 79 an hour he'll just do it for you.

gently caress the suburbs

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Jonny 290 posted:

i live in denver metro and have a project car and 3 parking spots and have three digit rent. also there are garages here where you pay $20 an hour to rent a stall with a lift. if you need help there is an ASE mechanic hanging out that you can tap for 59 an hour to help, or for 79 an hour he'll just do it for you.

3 digit rent?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Foid One posted:

3 digit rent?

$999 or less/month, I'm assuming

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

1) Denver is not a city, not in any rational sense of the word - if it was you wouldn't have 3 parking spots and 3 digit rent
2) I don't need someone else's lift or help from an ASE mechanic, because I'm not a human being retard, my arms are big enough to actuate a hydraulic jack, and my public education has provided me the necessary level of aptitude to read a Chilton's manual
3) you should be careful, with all those edges

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Pauline Kael posted:

1) Denver is not a city, not in any rational sense of the word - if it was you wouldn't have 3 parking spots and 3 digit rent
2) I don't need someone else's lift or help from an ASE mechanic, because I'm not a human being retard, my arms are big enough to actuate a hydraulic jack, and my public education has provided me the necessary level of aptitude to read a Chilton's manual

drat

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Jonny 290 posted:

Ya dude wait a tick. You live in the drat suburbs you idiot! No wonder you're happy!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Things like "convenience" and "not having long rear end drives for basic necessities" aren't a concern when you have 2,000 sq feet of house biotch

Why the gently caress would anyone need 2000sq ft of house? What the gently caress do you guys own that you need all that space just to keep your poo poo in? Fully inflated bouncy castles? Your collection of classic cars?

Also, I sometimes go on Google Street View when I'm bored at work and what the gently caress is with the gigantic lawns that everyone has in American suburbs? It's like your neighbourhoods are a series of little fields with a lovely wooden house (why WOOD for gently caress's sake) sat in the middle of each field.

And you're miles and miles and miles from anything worth being close to. How can you exist, not being able to nip across the street to the corner shop when you need a loaf of bread, or strolling 2 minutes down the road to the all night garage when you have an overwhelming urge to buy a pack of cigarettes or walking into the town centre, drinking a tonne of beer, then walking back again and being home within ten minutes?

Anyway, that's a lot of questions, I look forward to your insightful excuses for living in the suburban desert.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

lmao they're not allowed to drink alcohol outside.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

getting crunk on a tallboy while you walk home from a night out after missing the last train is one of lifes insanely good little pleasures and you cant do that in the land of the free.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone need 2000sq ft of house? What the gently caress do you guys own that you need all that space just to keep your poo poo in? Fully inflated bouncy castles? Your collection of classic cars?

Need? Nah probably not. Want? Sure.

Here's an example setup of those homes:
1) Dedicated office for home business
2) Two kids, each with their own room
3) Dining room (or play room)
4) Living room
5) Kitchen
6) Nice MBR
7) 2-3 bathrooms

It's really not that hard. Add in hallways and stairs which is calculated into sq/ft (garages are not) and it's not even that crazy. It's not like it's 2000 sq/ft of straight living room space.

Mind you we live in I think 1,100-1,300 sq/ft with a baby, 2 dogs, and 2 cats, and we have plenty of room. The second garage isn't necessary of course, it's just cool to have for hobbies.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Pistol_Pete posted:

Also, I sometimes go on Google Street View when I'm bored at work and what the gently caress is with the gigantic lawns that everyone has in American suburbs? It's like your neighbourhoods are a series of little fields with a lovely wooden house (why WOOD for gently caress's sake) sat in the middle of each field.

And you're miles and miles and miles from anything worth being close to. How can you exist, not being able to nip across the street to the corner shop when you need a loaf of bread, or strolling 2 minutes down the road to the all night garage when you have an overwhelming urge to buy a pack of cigarettes or walking into the town centre, drinking a tonne of beer, then walking back again and being home within ten minutes?

Anyway, that's a lot of questions, I look forward to your insightful excuses for living in the suburban desert.

Sorry whatever inbred dying country in Europe you live in doesn't afford enough room for human beings to live as God intended them to, Also, if you can't go buy a loaf of bread without a stop at the bar you no doubt have a drinking problem. I suppose I'd drink to forget my life too, if I were living in the existential hellscape that is your stupid city. Also, what building material should be used for houses? Are builder in Europe so inept that they can only build from massive blocks of stone? Do you guys have nails and screws yet or are you waiting for the next Marshall Plan so we can supply our 18th century tech to you?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Knyteguy posted:

Need? Nah probably not. Want? Sure.

Here's an example setup of those homes:
1) Dedicated office for home business
2) Two kids, each with their own room
3) Dining room (or play room)
4) Living room
5) Kitchen
6) Nice MBR
7) 2-3 bathrooms

It's really not that hard. Add in hallways and stairs which is calculated into sq/ft (garages are not) and it's not even that crazy. It's not like it's 2000 sq/ft of straight living room space.

Mind you we live in I think 1,100-1,300 sq/ft with a baby, 2 dogs, and 2 cats, and we have plenty of room. The second garage isn't necessary of course, it's just cool to have for hobbies.

Don't try to rationalize with jealous. Xe would trade places with you in a heartbeat if only we were still accepting the poor and downtrodden from Earth's Own rear end in a top hat

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
How far do you guys think a 7/11 or whatever your definition of corner store is from the average suburban house

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Pauline Kael posted:

Sorry whatever inbred dying country in Europe you live in doesn't afford enough room for human beings to live as God intended them to, Also, if you can't go buy a loaf of bread without a stop at the bar you no doubt have a drinking problem. I suppose I'd drink to forget my life too, if I were living in the existential hellscape that is your stupid city. Also, what building material should be used for houses? Are builder in Europe so inept that they can only build from massive blocks of stone? Do you guys have nails and screws yet or are you waiting for the next Marshall Plan so we can supply our 18th century tech to you?

Idk, brick and masonry is kinda nice looking and classic but then again I don't really live in a v earthquake prone part of the country on a relative basis, so grain of salt and all that. I totally get the allure of large living space, it's the isolation from amenities/cultural stuff and necessity to drive that sours me on the burbs, plus I just like the way urbanness feels, kind of like how some people like the way nature feels, and goes beyond architecture vs natural splendor and pretty ephemeral and hard to describe. My goal atm is like a 1,500 sf 2 bedroom with some outdoor space (be it a large balcony or a small backyard area) but I don't plan on having kids or dogs so I'm working with easier parameters than a lot of people when it comes to the city/burbs decision.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How far do you guys think a 7/11 or whatever your definition of corner store is from the average suburban house

I grew up in the suburbs, it's pretty drat far. I couldn't walk to anything really where I grew up, and if you were on a bike people were dicks to you and looked at you like you were some sort of weirdo. I really don't like having to walk 30+ minutes in a place that may or may not have sidewalks for a six pack and some smokes.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 17, 2015

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

The funniest part about this post is that depending on what your preference is it works as a compliment to you and insult to the other no matter which you are.

vvvv case in point big "i have a small dick and molest my stepson" trucks are embarrassing and lame

himajinga fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 17, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

himajinga posted:

The funniest part about this post is that depending on what your preference is it works as a compliment to you and insult to the other no matter which you are.

If you're not sure which one is cool and which one is for twitchy hipsters who are only cool in the worst universe possible, then I'm not sure you get the joke

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've been in some burbclaves that were so bland and samey that it traumatized me. Like, once we were driving through a north austin suburb to get to a friend of mine's parents' house. We all lived and went to school in San Antonio so austin trips were fairly common and easy. But we kept going through this god damned suburb and every block was exactly the same. I got a very sickening feeling and also felt like I was detached from reality. Like, the only way I can explain it is a little voice going "You are now entering: The Stepford Wives. Have a nice day." accompanied by dissociation and massive dread. I expect I'd feel the exact same way if I got abducted and stuck in the Hypercube or shrunk down and put in a gerbil run.

what im trying to say is ur thread triggered me, OP.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

himajinga posted:

I grew up in the suburbs, it's pretty drat far. I couldn't walk to anything really where I grew up, and if you were on a bike people were dicks to you and looked at you like you were some sort of weirdo. I really don't like having to walk 30+ minutes in a place that may or may not have sidewalks for a six pack and some smokes.

I'd definitely consider where I live a suburb b/c it's a part of the city that's almost all residences but there's still a grocery store, gas station, 7/11, etc right around the corner. alternatively plan your shopping better

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I recommend growing up in a boring white-bread neighborhood in a city that has a reputation for gang violence. It's always funny when I tell a teenage boy where I'm from and he nods sagely about "Chi-raq," as if I weren't about as gangsta as an artisanal cupcake

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have been mugged/stabbed/shot at 100% less since moving to the country.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'd definitely consider where I live a suburb b/c it's a part of the city that's almost all residences but there's still a grocery store, gas station, 7/11, etc right around the corner. alternatively plan your shopping better

Sometimes the necessity for beer defies the best laid plans

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

himajinga posted:

Sometimes the necessity for beer defies the best laid plans

in the 'burbs you can have a fridge full of it in your garage

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I had a garage at my last place in the city ;)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
wtf

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

In the country you can have a barn.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

on the plus side you have lots of time to contemplate cool ways to kill yourself on your horrible commute back from work to your fat wife and screaming kids

suburbanite.txt

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Duck season FIRE

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pauline Kael posted:

too bad they're not big enough to bring home a paycheck that can get you a couple parkin spots

$503.50, to be accurate. All utilities except comcast paid. Good neighborhood too, haven't locked our place in a month. Dig harder.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dErdvJrv8JE

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

too bad they're not big enough to bring home a paycheck that can get you a couple parkin spots

$503.50, to be accurate. All utilities except comcast paid. Good neighborhood too, haven't locked our place in a month. Dig harder.

No, they're big enough to carry home a check that allowed me to move my family to the exurbs. Sorry to hear about your life failure.

Edit: lol I'd love to see what sort of third world shanty you live in for $500 a month. Do all 7 of you share those 3 parking spots?

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 18, 2015

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Lol. Fight!

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

To be fair denver isn't really a city since you can walk across it in 10 minutes

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

ColoradoCleric posted:

To be fair denver isn't really a city since you can walk across it in 10 minutes

great username/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
If you have a garage you live in a loving suburb. What the gently caress. If you have three parking spots and pay 503 a month you love in a drat suburb. Jesus

• Locked thread