Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Grilled for the third time this week tonight. Some kebabs and eventually a polish sausage. Here is a picture I took to taunt those who left to "warmer climates" during Minnesota's brief 60 degree weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, cast iron on the grill, why have I never even thought of that?

I wish my apartment complex let me use my grill :(

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Egg over easy with pesto on toasted sweet bread. Simple, fast, and delicious.

Yummy texture and a dog ear in the background.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Looks amazing, now I'm really hungry. :argh: Good job!

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

overdesigned posted:

poo poo, cast iron on the grill, why have I never even thought of that?

I wish my apartment complex let me use my grill :(

It worked pretty well but got hot as loving poo poo and the grill gloves I had were not good enough.

That said, I think I'm going to try the same sort of set up this weekend to cook a steak in a pan on a grill. :getin:

(that method owns but it produces too much smoke for an inside kitchen that shares a wall with a neighbor.)

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Hello.

170 water bath for 30 hours

Peeled, cubed and sauteed in duck fat because what am I gonna do NOT use duck fat for things?!

Served with all the good stuff.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gently caress yeah,tongue owns.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how tough is it to peel after cooking? id love a rundown of what you did so I can try that out, cause it looks amazing

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cooked tongue is super easy to peel

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Yeah the skin pretty much came right off.

There wasn't all that much I had to do, really. I seasoned the tongue with some salt and pepper, vacuum packed it with an onion, tomato, and a little lard. Double-bagged it, let it sit in a water bath at 170 for 30 hours (anywhere from 1-2 days is good i think). Chilled it in an ice bath until cooled. Sliced the skin down the middle and peeled it. Trimmed anything that didn't look desirable, and cut it into cubes. Browned it in a pan for a few minutes until crispy.

I've only ever done it sous-vide, but if you don't have all that stuff you can just simmer it with some water/broth, aromatics or whatever you want for like 6 hours.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kittenmittons posted:

There wasn't all that much I had to do, really. I seasoned the tongue with some salt and pepper, vacuum packed it with an onion, tomato, and a little lard. Double-bagged it, let it sit in a water bath at 170 for 30 hours (anywhere from 1-2 days is good i think). Chilled it in an ice bath until cooled. Sliced the skin down the middle and peeled it. Trimmed anything that didn't look desirable, and cut it into cubes. Browned it in a pan for a few minutes until crispy.

That noise you hear is me breaking into your kitchen and stealing your leftovers. No need to get up.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Roast chicken, rubbed pre-roast with olive oil, coriander, cumin, thyme, s&p.

Roasted root veg with pickled shallot/ginger/raisin, tossed with some syrupy balsamic and rose water, yogurt+creme fraiche below.

Cornbread. Drizzle of fermented honey over everything.

Tasty ish. Comforting food to meet the drizzly weather rolling in.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Went to a cookout, figured I'd make a pie for it.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
Roasted portobello mushrooms stuffed with pearl barley, mint and goats cheese finished with some crispy breadcrumbs and pomegranate seeds.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I had Mexican ribs tonight. I'm not really sure what they're called (and you can chime in here as to what I made.)

I've made these before but I'm not really sure how to make them... As if that makes sense. Anyway, I salted and peppered them and brought them to room temp like you would do with a steak or whatever else. There is another strip off screen.

We're going to be making grilled asparagus, Mexican short ribs, with some freshly baked pita bread.

Here they are hanging out on my porch with the asparagus I'm also going to grill.

I'm also going to throw some Cherry wood on the coals, because smoke makes every thing taste a lot better. That pan is a 60 year old pan. I'm blanking on the brand but it owns so hard. I cooked veggies in it the last time I grilled.

Here are the ribs on the two zone grill.

And one with the asparagus more cooked.

Here is a picture of the cooked ribs.

To be honest, we got too hungry tasting the ribs and the sun was setting.

Here is a picture of the smoke ring. It seems pretty serious for a thin chunk of meat.

Here are the bones, for whatever reason.

We live on the second and third stories of a very old duplex, which is the reason for the plastic plates. Anyway, this with a quarter bag of Cherry wood chips really loving owned. Even the pita tasted better.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

paraquat posted:

wanted some gyoza with a cheese filling, so I grated two hard cheeses and a mozzarella, added some fresh ginger, spring onions and black pepper

after the gyoza where made and dumped into the fridge for later use, lots of filling was left (as always),
so I opened a pack of tortilla wraps, coated them with lao gan ma chili crisp aka angry lady sauce and added the leftover cheesemixture

leftovers are great!

This thread has tons of awesome posts over the last week, but I love this because I love getting every last bit out of a shopping trip, especially when it looks as good as all that...

Typing that made me feel old. 21 year old me would laugh.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

THE MACHO MAN posted:

This thread has tons of awesome posts over the last week, but I love this because I love getting every last bit out of a shopping trip, especially when it looks as good as all that...

Typing that made me feel old. 21 year old me would laugh.

Thanks!
With a one person household the largest part of the week, I found out too much is thrown away generally, so I try to make a point out of using as much as I can. It's not even that hard, really....the gyoza were nice, but not better than the leftover wraps above ;-)

anyway, today I ate some of the gyoza:

again, the cheesemixture for the filling: two grated hard cheeses and a grated mozzarella, added some fresh ginger, spring onions and black pepper

a one meal batch

baked and steamed and baked....with a dipping sauce of black rice vinegar, soy sauce and lao gan ma crispy chili

the first bite!

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
So tonight's dinner was Imam Baylidi, a Turkish stewed aubergine dish.

It's he first time I've made it and it could have been a bit better. Despite having three cloves of garlic in it, it is a little bit bland. It's also a bit watery, but that's easil overcome. Might shove some chilies in it next time round. Anyway, here are the pics.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
coffee-maple poundcake (coffee + maple is the most obvious flavor combo that I only just discovered, and it works SO well)

chocolate guinness sheet cake---there are no words...

beef and guinness hand pies that I wish I didn't already eat all of...

paraquat posted:

the first bite!

I need to be eating this, right now.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Well now I'm hamgry. Thanks sharkattack

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Drifter posted:

If you don't mind, could you take up a picture or two and an impression of your results? I can't recall ever seeing a Jackfruit where I live, although I'm sure it'd be relatively easy to find nearby. It seems very interesting.

Also, :whatup: Food Wishes bro. Chef John for life. :madmax::respek::black101:

I followed the recipe to the letter, aside from using another tsp. of white sugar (no brown). I am not a professional.
Recipe: http://www.moreveganblog.com/2014/06/28/bbq-pulled-jackfruit/
The brand was Aroy-D Green Jackfruit in brine.

- There is a lot of waste; maybe 40-50% by volume is core you're supposed to remove. Still enough for four kaisers, easy
- Has the look of pulled chicken/pork
- Definitely does not not have the texture of pork (at least as I've cooked it); it's closer to soft artichoke heart
- While the recipe says to cover and simmer, the texture might be better served by not lowering the temp and letting it boil off faster (pretty sure this step is only for infusing the spices/broth). It separates easily before you even cook it
- Do not pre-heat the baking pan too (normally I never do this :effort: I don't know why I did tonight)
- Better in a bun than by itself; pickles/coleslaw would help even more
- Any seeds you miss have the texture of roast garlic, more or less
- Mine didn't really crisp up, even where the sugars browned
- Might be interesting on top of fries/hashbrowns
- The BBQ sauce I used was just ~140mL of store-bought, Memphis-style tomato base, with strong molasses and sugar (I thinned with an ounce of tequila). Might be better with a Carolina style sauce.
- I have no idea how to use my phone's camera
- I prefer Chimay Priemiere with my "BBQ" :airquote:, but go with what you like :v:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 17, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Decided to try cast-iron tortilla pizza because I can't go a day without hearing about it (and someone made it in this thread I think last page and it looked amazing).

Ingredients used for the first pizza:
  • Basil based tomato sauce with some thyme thrown in
  • Basil
  • Rough chopped Garlic
  • Green Onion
  • Chopped Jalapenos
  • Mozza
  • Parmesan
  • Mild Prosciutto
  • Parsley
  • 2 eggs
  • Olive Oil

Toppings by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Savory by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Turned out pretty well although I think I'd go with fewer toppings just as it was difficult to get it cooked properly without overcooking the egg and cheese.

SavoryPizza by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Next pizza was more western.

Ingredients for 2nd pizza
  • Honey Ham
  • Pineapple
  • White Mushroom
  • Mozza
  • Parmesan

HP by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Overall it went pretty good and it was very filling. I'd probably go with less toppings as it wasn't as firm as others I've seen but I'm too accustomed to western style pizza to really fully appreciate something like Pizza Margherita.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

sharkattack posted:

beef and guinness hand pies that I wish I didn't already eat all of...

wow...a perfect reason to celebrate St Patrick's day!
Thanks for the recipe (and the great pics, as always)

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

sharkattack posted:

coffee-maple poundcake (coffee + maple is the most obvious flavor combo that I only just discovered, and it works SO well)

When I see maple extract in a list of ingredients I typically forget about it and move on to another recipe, but this has finally convinced me to just order some.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

Made baked mac and cheese for the first time, with added hamburger and stewed tomato on top. I may be Canadian but I dunno if I can ever go back to KD

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You can also use fenugreek to get maple flavor, interestingly. They use it frequently in the production of artificial maple syrup.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thoht posted:

You can also use fenugreek to get maple flavor, interestingly. They use it frequently in the production of artificial maple syrup.

It also promotes breast milk production!

...this has hilarious consequences.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Thoht posted:

It's also why the West Side of Manhattan sometimes smells weirdly of maple syrup. Depends on how the wind is blowing in from Jersey, there's a factory that roasts fenugreek just across the river.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/nyregion/06smell.html?_r=0

Best comment; "I do not trust this maple syrup smell."

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 17, 2015

vannevar
Jan 27, 2013

The war goes on.
Corned a beef, as per Ruhlman:

And, less festively, made a fruit and ricotta cake to test on my boyfriend before I take it to Easter dinner. From Bon Appetit's March issue, but I used cherries instead.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I let out an audible groan as I scrolled down

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Quick pizza

Super thin sourdough crust, brushed with garlic oil, topped with spicy fennel sausage, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, mozz/gruyere/parm

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Vlex posted:

I let out an audible groan as I scrolled down

Yeah it probably looks like crap compared to everything else on here. I honestly just do corned beef for the leftovers. Corned beef hash and reubens mostly. They're better than the actual meal.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Yeah it probably looks like crap compared to everything else on here. I honestly just do corned beef for the leftovers. Corned beef hash and reubens mostly. They're better than the actual meal.

No way, that looks right.

I'm moving next week otherwise I would have done corned beef & cabbage as well- the leftovers are always great.

Instead I just got hammered and forgot to eat. To make up for it, tonight- a nice ribeye, some brussels sprouts and a baked potato. Simple, no leftovers.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Those brussels look awesome. How'd you do them?

My dinner: Burger, grilled pinapple, grilled asparagus, roasted potatoes. (Sorry that the burger part isn't very visible. It was grand.) Subtitle is that a little smoke goes a long ways.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Tacier posted:

When I see maple extract in a list of ingredients I typically forget about it and move on to another recipe, but this has finally convinced me to just order some.
I don't use it in a lot of stuff, but it works perfect in stuff like this! It's absolutely crazy how 2 teaspoons of the stuff can make your entire home smell like breakfast for DAYS!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Best comment; "I do not trust this maple syrup smell."
This is HILARIOUS!

I made Irish soda bread for St. Paddy's and it was actually delicious---slightly sweet and nutty, and pretty drat fantastic slathered in Irish butter.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

What is irish butter?

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Echeveria posted:

What is irish butter?
Just butter from grass-fed cows, basically. That's unfortunately kinda a rare thing in most American supermarkets.
It has a higher butterfat content, and a rich yellow color.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Tried making Pelmeni for the first time, with sour cream and vinegar. Pretty tasty, although the dough was a bit thick. My apartment smells wonderful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

vannevar posted:

Corned a beef, as per Ruhlman:

This is an amazing picture. Also looks delicious. Bravo.

• Locked thread