Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

7c Nickel posted:

In penance, post a pic of your dumb rear end zwee fighter. THE HERO IS YOU! right?

I hope this is enough penance.

But if that's not enough, surely this will redeem me in the eyes of my fellow internet nerds?

Zwee Fighter Goku Punchmans is Freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
you absolute fucker

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
What?

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Holy poo poo that Majin name is Amazing. :vince:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LeadSled posted:

Holy poo poo that Majin name is Amazing. :vince:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, he is a Majin Z-Warrior :shobon:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
MechWarrior’s Campaign Journal, Update 35

December 1, 3051

I think I’ve got a handle on these Clan controls. The layout is virtually identical to the other Clan machine I captured, the displays are just in different places and some of the defaults are infuriating me. It won’t let me assign my weapons to groups until we power up, and the moment I power up the Clans are going to know something’s wrong. We’ve got a full load of ammunition at least, but I have no idea how half of my weapons work and that could be a problem. This machine’s powerful but it’s got less armor than an Atlas.

It’s also very badly over-gunned: by my estimate, I can use about three-quarters of my medium lasers with some reliability, but if I try to use all eight of them it won’t be too many salvos before I melt my engine shielding. One of the Clan technicians we captured also told me this machine was in for maintenance on the large laser in its belly, which is apparently only functioning at a fraction of its normal capacity. If worse comes to worst I can always fall back on the SRMs. I just have no idea how a streak-system will interact with a six-tube launcher. It seems like it’d take forever for them to lock on.

Mission Briefing

Mission Track(s) Dust River again.

December 30, 3051

Eat poo poo, Chu-sa Baruki. If you’d actually attempted to keep your plan to murder me and my lance a secret you might’ve gotten away with it. I might not be getting paid for this fiasco but this Kodiak is mine, and now that we’re on our way back to the Inner Sphere I can actually check the news to see what we’ve missed while you were keeping us in the dark these last few months.

Oh.

Oh poo poo.

Oh poo poo, it’s actually happening. The FedCom just sent me a contract signed by Prince Hanse Davion himself. All hands on deck to protect Luthien from the Clans. The political implications of this are almost as staggering as what this battle is going to do to my bank account.

Ahahahaha!

I’m hiring a back-up pilot just in case.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So what happens if you are an honorabu space man and go with the Combine?

Also, wow no one really bothered to proofread the pilot histories at all huh? Or is Yachi unable to recall if they are a man or woman?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Watch out for any stray office chairs while you're on Luthien!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Also, wow no one really bothered to proofread the pilot histories at all huh? Or is Yachi unable to recall if they are a man or woman?

In my opinion, the only logical answer is that this game from 1996 has a canon genderqueer robot pilot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

paragon1 posted:

If you're playing the non-economy version of the game, you have to steal the Kodiak (it doesn't give you an option not to) and Luthien kinda assumes you've got it. If you opt not to steal it for yourself you get money.

Yay.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Is the Kodiak worth more than what they were going to pay you or something?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

paragon1 posted:

Is the Kodiak worth more than what they were going to pay you or something?

It's worth 29,000,000 c-bills on its own, stock.

They were going to pay us 4,000,000.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Poor Yachi Kim, took shrapnel to the head and now cant even remember his/her gender. :smith:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's worth 29,000,000 c-bills on its own, stock.

They were going to pay us 4,000,000.

Haha okay yeah, killing them and stealing it was definitely the most mercenary move possible then.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
So hang on, did you just trade your Timberwolf for the Kodiak? I thought the DC guys that hired you had the mech you infiltrated the place with in their possession.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Crigit posted:

So hang on, did you just trade your Timberwolf for the Kodiak? I thought the DC guys that hired you had the mech you infiltrated the place with in their possession.

I'm guessing "We even salvaged your 'mech from the dropship wreckage" means you're getting it back regardless.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Crigit posted:

Nope, a 'tech retrieved it from the wrecked Dropship.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm guessing "We even salvaged your 'mech from the dropship wreckage" means you're getting it back regardless.

Ah, I missed that bit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Haha okay yeah, killing them and stealing it was definitely the most mercenary move possible then.

It's effectively a one of a kind assault mech. 29M cbills is the TRO price but were this not a computer game you could probably find someone willing to give you the kind of money that moves planets for the chance to take it apart and see how it works. Which he clearly needs just to transport his balls.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And now you know why we need a bigger boat.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
One thing I always loved about the Battletech setting as a whole is that everyone is trying to gently caress everyone else over, from House to House, various factions within each House, all the way down to House vs Merc, so it's not too hard to justify a... strategic betrayal when you need to.

Especially House Kurita, because they are about as subtle with their intentions to stab you in the back as a train jumping the rails and crashing through your bedroom wall.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
At least a train derailment looks like an accident.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's been a long time since I played a game in this engine, but I'm pretty sure that standard and LBX autocannons didn't double-fire like that. I know LBX autocannons are supposed to be shotguns, but I don't think MW2's engine could really work with that concept.

The fact that the Ultra autocannon's double-fire is mandatory and useless is a major portion of why uAC20s are bad weapons, sadly. You get two and a half shots per ton of ammo (rounding up). They will gently caress a dude up right quick, but that is a dude, singular, because you probably don't have enough rounds for more than that.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I've mainly played only the Mechwarrior computer games, but I know that Sarna's descriptions of of the LBX ACs makes a big deal about them being able to handle both solid slug and shotgun ammunition. I never really understood would you would take an LBX and put standard ammo in it, unless you could load a ton with half shotgun/half solid ammo or something similar.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

There's no real good reason not to always use the actual LBX ammo but they are probably compatible with regular AC ammo stores for solid shot.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I've mainly played only the Mechwarrior computer games, but I know that Sarna's descriptions of of the LBX ACs makes a big deal about them being able to handle both solid slug and shotgun ammunition. I never really understood would you would take an LBX and put standard ammo in it, unless you could load a ton with half shotgun/half solid ammo or something similar.

LBX cannons are always one ton lighter, so you get a regular AC/10 and a free ton of spread ammo in tabletop. In the PC games you just get to carry an extra ton of ammo to offset the fact that it spreads around.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
It does substantially less damage on a hit than slug ammo, as you have to roll on the cluster hits chart, balanced out by the -1 TH and crit-seeking.

Those last are more important in some situations than others.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
All Autocannons in MW2: Mercenaries use the Ultra Autocannon code since the Ultra Autocannons were a carry-over from the original Mechwarrior 2. They tried to slow it down so that sometimes, if you tap the button really carefully, it only fires one shot, but it still usually fires two.

Between that, and the dodgy hit detection, autocannons just aren't worth using unless you're cheating.

If you are cheating, they're the best weapons in the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SIGSEGV posted:

There's no real good reason not to always use the actual LBX ammo but they are probably compatible with regular AC ammo stores for solid shot.

Sometimes you want to do 10 damage to one location rather than 1 damage to each of ~6 locations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Punch holes, seek crits.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah but it just seems a kinda marginal use considering how brutal crit-seeking can be.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
If you do a couple damage to various locations on a heavy+ and don't get TAC chances (or they don't go off) or Pilot hits, what you have done isn't even mildly inconvenient.

Popping twenty or thirty damage into one spot can be a real pain, especially if it's two+ places.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh, agreed. It's the combo of cluster hits and the to-hit bonus that makes it so appealing.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
And as far as I know, none of the Mechwarrior games ever accurately showed how an LB-X was supposed to look when you shot it.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
MW3 Did a pretty good job of it I think, they went of like auto shotguns an LBX 5 for example fired 5 bursts of shot cannon, but I don't think the spread was quite as wide as it is in table top.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
MW3's got the same issue as MW2 though, where all autocannons are burst fire (and they're completely awful there too.) MW4 and MWO just say gently caress it and it's literally a giant shotgun.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ACs are fine in MW3, they only use one round per click and do solid damage. It's the ammo use problems that make them unusable in MW2.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

In tabletop you can switch between whatever tons of ammo you have freely, so you can punch holes with slugs and then crit with bursts on a later turn. Theoretically, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
90% of the time cluster rounds are the superior option, but occasionally you will want to use a Slug if you don't have any other heavy weapons available and the shot is relatively trivial.

• Locked thread