Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

The Rockies announced KYLE KENDRICK as their opening day starter.

hahahahahahaha Kyle Kendrick :smithicide:

De La Rosa is going to start the home opener on April 10th. Putting Jorge at that rotation spots actually gives him the opportunity to have the majority of his starts at home instead of on the road.

He's actually been good in Denver in his career: 45-14, 3.98 ERA, 445.1 IP, 389K, 42 HR allowed, 162 walks.

theacox posted:

Is this rock bottom?
No, 2012 was rock bottom.

\/ 2007 & 2009

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

But when was Rocktober.

Sorry I can't keep this lingo straight.

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Tigers have a guy in their system by the name of Joey Pancake.

It's Pankake but yeah. He doesn't beat Rock Shoulders or Sicnarf or Jose Jose or the INCREDIBLY underrated Dovydas Neverauskas but still

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

theacox posted:

Is this rock bottom?

This is the rock bottom http://youtu.be/pGt4TL5sJbA

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

handsome monica

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

davecrazy posted:

New video board looks pretty good.

When did Walgreens buy Duanereede.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

I'm so sorry.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

For some reason, I'm now thinking about Rock Lobster.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

euphronius posted:

When did Walgreens buy Duanereede.

Like 2? years ago

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hey, ya'all, the 3rd ever All-Sports Sheep is taking place. Come participate.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/phillies-willing-to-eat-about--50-million-to-trade-ryan-howard-152605898.html

:laugh:

quote:

the club is so motivated to deal Howard that they are allegedly willing to eat about $50 million, according to Anthony Castrovince of Sports on Earth. Howard is guaranteed $60 million over the next three seasons, so that's a significant figure.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Tigers have a guy in their system by the name of Joey Pancake.

Tonight he god a hit off of Bobby LaFrombois ("The Raspberry"). He later scored and the announcer said the phrase "Pankake crosses the plate". In both cases I laughed, because I am very easily amused.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Roger Clemens settled the defamation suit he filed against former trainer Brian McNamee for an undisclosed settlement. McNamee had claimed he injected Clemens with steroids several times in the late 1990s.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/4726c93cb6a843f7a706e7ee732f625d/settlement-reached-2008-roger-clemens-defamation-lawsuit

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

News to get irrationally angry about : MLB is eliminating paper ballots for the All-Star Game.

Views: What am I supposed to do with my mini-pencils during inning breaks now? :argh:

The group of old ladies from my previous church that enjoyed punching out hundreds of those things is gonna need a new hobby. Looks like I'll be teaching them to keep score.

Also, in a bit of interesting news, season tickets for teams are coming out.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2015/3/18/8244643/2015-wrigley-field-season-tickets#4695934

The Cubs' tickets (except for Opening Night with Ernie Banks), all feature current players, a break from the last four or five years or so. The Tigers' ticekts are sort of cool, but nothing too special. I'm oddly excited for the Tigers season.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

This is why we're fat

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/03/18/texas-rangers-to-introduce-all-fried-food-booth-and-bacon-cotton-candy/

quote:

Along with specialties like the “Fried S’mOreo,” a deep-fried skewer of marshmallows breaded with graham crackers sandwiched between two Oreo cookies and topped with chocolate sauce and Cool Whip, the stand will churn out classics, including fried pickles and funnel cake fries.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 19, 2015

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

The awkwardness I felt watching Ferrell play for the D-Backs was real. They were totally ignoring him when he got into the dugout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRWkElxe3bI&t=120s

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bumming Your Scene posted:

The awkwardness I felt watching Ferrell play for the D-Backs was real. They were totally ignoring him when he got into the dugout.

Because I needed another reason to despise that franchise

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Because I needed another reason to despise that franchise

They are my least favorite team that I always forget exist.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
e: wrong thread

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Diamondbacks haven't been cool/likable since 2001. I refuse to root for them until they return to teal and purple pinstripes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Clayton Kershaw

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

They are my least favorite team that I always forget exist.
Josh Collmenter is going to be their Opening Day Starter.

The only thing I know about Josh Collmenter is that he has a cool delivery because his arm slot comes in over the top:

brainguy
Jan 25, 2007

Why be Toolsy when you can be Gumby

Pat Clements posted:

Josh Collmenter is going to be their Opening Day Starter.

The only thing I know about Josh Collmenter is that he has a cool delivery because his arm slot comes in over the top:

he learned to throw like that by throwing axes

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rand alPaul posted:

The Diamondbacks haven't been cool/likable since 2001. I refuse to root for them until they return to teal and purple pinstripes.

That was their nadir :mad:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Inspector_666 posted:

That was their nadir :mad:

Yes, please go on about how the small market expansion team ruined your perfect narrative :allears:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Oh my goodness that's beautiful.

Shame it's an away game for them.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

speaking of the diamondbacks, what's the word on bradley? i haven't read or heard his name since like may of last year.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

speaking of the diamondbacks, what's the word on bradley? i haven't read or heard his name since like may of last year.
He's still coming along. Arizona seems to have no intention of rushing him. He struggled a little bit in the move up to AAA last year, but he was also, you know, a 21 year old pitching in the PCL.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Rand alPaul posted:

Good news! They are going to wear those on Throwback Thursdays this year. (Their seven home Thursday games, first one against the Padres)

Capt. Sticl fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 19, 2015

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Bumming Your Scene posted:

goddamn gently caress the diamondbacks

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I spent eight years in Texas, is that enough to qualify me to jettison this franchise for something less assholish?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Yes, please go on about how the small market expansion team ruined your perfect narrative :allears:

The terrorists won :911:

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Cabbit posted:

I spent eight years in Texas, is that enough to qualify me to jettison this franchise for something less assholish?

Just root for more than one team. Sports bigamy is totally ok.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Adam Rubin read the Sandy Alderson book so you don't have too.

quote:

• Amid reports manager Terry Collins' job was safe last August, Collins' chance of returning actually was 51 percent, according to Alderson, who told Kettmann at the time: "Frankly, for me, that percentage has been eroding."

Alderson was upset about a drop in walks.

"We can't just throw up our hands and say, 'We're not being selective at the plate anymore, so much for that,'" Alderson said.

A meeting with hitters saved Collins' job.

• Alderson vocally expresses frustration during games. Regarding reliever Gonzalez Germen, Alderson blurted: "How do you go on the DL with an abscess?"

• Kettmann writes that Alderson "accepted a nudge" from commissioner Bud Selig to take the Mets' job. "Fred Wilpon is an extremely close friend, and I told him, 'You'll never do better than Sandy Alderson,'" Selig said.

• Alderson was naive about the impact of Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme. "Madoff wasn't even a topic of conversation in my interview for the Mets job," Alderson said. "I didn't raise it. Maybe I should have. The bottom line is, I would have taken the job anyway. It just added to the challenge."

• Alderson approached Peter Greenberg, the agent for Jose Reyes, in June of Reyes' walk year, but the GM was rebuffed in extension talks. Alderson never made an official offer that winter, but informally indicated the Mets genuinely were prepared to bid $100 million.

"The sad thing is if we sign Jose, we're just maintaining the status quo. We're not improving the team," Alderson told Kettmann at the time.

• The Mets focused on the Brewers, Phillies, Red Sox, Rangers and Giants in trade talks involving Carlos Beltran in July 2011. Beltran initially only would consider Milwaukee and Philly.

Alderson labeled it a "baited hook" that Beltran flew with Giants personnel to the All-Star Game that year, because the publicity increased pressure on Giants GM Brian Sabean.

The Mets initially had insisted on Gary Brown, Brandon Belt or Zack Wheeler for Beltran. Belt was preferred.

During a lull in Mets-Giants talks, Alderson presumed Sabean was talking to another team. So Alderson pretended to be interested in Hunter Pence. He called Astros GM Ed Wade to see if Pence was available. Told Pence likely would go untraded, Alderson concluded Sabean lacked leverage.

Boston offered Chih-Hsien Chiang and Alex Wilson, plus one from a list of seven players, for Beltran.

Texas and the Mets agreed on Joe Wieland and Robbie Ross, but Alderson wanted a third player. Alderson asked for Mike Olt or Rougned Odor. Alderson indicated inclusion of either would seal the deal. The Rangers balked. Texas was surprised by Beltran's trade to San Francisco because the Rangers thought they had a deal with Alderson involving Wieland, Ross and a different third player.

• The Orioles "toyed" with the idea of giving up heralded Dylan Bundy for R.A. Dickey before the knuckleballer went to Toronto.

The Mets wanted Cody Buckel from Texas, which the Rangers wouldn't do, and which Alderson admits would have been a bust.

• Ruben Tejada is one of the few criticized. "Gradually you come to the conclusion that Tejada is just a placeholder," Alderson said. "He's not a long-term guy for us."

• Alderson wanted to sign Robinson Cano. Alderson told one of Cano's agents: "Anything over $200 million, we're not there." When the agent didn't then dismiss the Mets, "that led me to believe something less than $200 million was feasible," Alderson said.

• Alderson explained the "90 wins" hullabaloo from last spring training to Kettmann as sensationalism. Alderson had googled "winning culture" and read articles before spring training.

Alderson then said to staff: "We shouldn't just try to be better. Let's have the mind-set that we're going to go out and win 90 games. When we wake up and look in the mirror, let's make our goal to play like we're trying to win 90 games."

Regarding the tabloid reaction after the comment leaked, Alderson said: "It was misleading. ... It was really a challenge to change the mind-set."

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
If you were a player, wouldn't you be just thrilled to have your future controlled by a dude who googles "winning culture" and gives organizational directives based on the result?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm guessing in all that talk about fleecing Sabean, Sandy forgot all about the part where he traded Angel Pagan for Andres Torres a few weeks later.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

quote:

Told Pence likely would go untraded, Alderson concluded Sabean lacked leverage.

GOD DAMMIT

I am probably ok with Sandy Alderson, constructor of the 1980s "winning culture" Athletics, trying to instill some positive vibes into the freaking Mets.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Craptacular! posted:

I'm guessing in all that talk about fleecing Sabean, Sandy forgot all about the part where he traded Angel Pagan for Andres Torres a few weeks later.

He was just clearing room for Juan Lagares! That's it!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

At least he got a major league player out of the deal.

BBREF posted:

January 5, 2008: Traded by the Chicago Cubs to the New York Mets for Corey Coles (minors) and Ryan Meyers (minors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
my job sucks and i lost track of the offseason did anything cool happen after the scherzer contract?

• Locked thread