Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Driverless trucks have been around for a while. There's a documentary from the 80s about it you might enjoy.

Oh, by the way, the House Budget Committee finally gave up at 12:10 last night and left without an agreement between Committee Chairman Tom Price and Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy on the Overseas Contingency Operations fund amendment. There are supposedly four or five holdouts on the committee who won't vote for it and the Democrats all plan to vote no on any budget items the Republicans try to move. Interesting note about the makeup of the committee: of the 22 Republicans on it, five of them didn't vote for Boehner to be Speaker. This includes luminaries like David Brat and Marlin Stutzman.

And a fun postscript to the week: Aaron Schock is also on the Budget Committee, serving until the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Samurai Sanders posted:

A friend from Montana once described to me how they would not drink or eat anything that had even the smallest, smallest, SMALLEST hint that some part of it would be foreign and/or contain something other than the following ingredients: wheat, corn, or beef. That's the real America, and so distant from the one I grew up in that they should not even be the same country.

Uh beef?

DemeaninDemon posted:

Pretty sure their metric is based off of such things like "does this get me drunk?" and Bud's massive distribution.
Since it is going off of "popular" I'd hazard a guess and just say sales. And given how huge Budweiser is it seems a given.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'd honestly have thought Sam Adams would make the top twenty, given how many ads I've seen for it in Texas of all places.

Same takes about 1% of the market share for beer sales. As of that measure they were the largest brewer outside of the big three distributors.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Armyman25 posted:

So what happens when the auto-matic truck trains run into road construction, floods, or blizzards?

Why do you assume that none of this is going to get taken into account before they get on the road? I doubt that we're going to see mass convoys of driverless vehicles showing up where somehow not a single developer considered inclement weather or surprise obstacles. I think even now our GPS map/route tools and apps are able to take known info on construction or accidents and reroute from there.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Why do you assume that none of this is going to get taken into account before they get on the road? I doubt that we're going to see mass convoys of driverless vehicles showing up where somehow not a single developer considered inclement weather or surprise obstacles. I think even now our GPS map/route tools and apps are able to take known info on construction or accidents and reroute from there.

Because I've dealt with GPS enough to know that it'll guide you into some weird areas. Not to mention weather calls can look good on paper but are a different thing in reality. Forecast weather can be better or worse than reality, as well as more localized. Sure, in theory you can make all the right decision in the world, but the reality it much more fuzzy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chitoryu12 posted:

Because that's really hard to do in extreme short notice situations.

Also people are cheap.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Prester John posted:

Stuff about truck driving

Of all of those things you mentioned, and I hope this doesn't come off as snarky, as it's a genuine question, how much of that was taught as opposed to learned-on-the-job?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My question is, why would everything become automated when all you'd need to do is automate a big enough chunk of the workforce (say, just fast food) to create a massive permanent underclass that will terrify people into having jobs that only pay for room and board?

If I own a trucking company, I'd rather pay humans slave wages and deal with a crash every now and then rather than paying millions upfront to retrofit my trucks for some dumb reason like the safety of other drivers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Create a massive permanent underclass? Surely you're mistaken and meant to say "utilize the existing massive permanent underclass".

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Phone posted:

Create a massive permanent underclass? Surely you're mistaken and meant to say "utilize the existing massive permanent underclass".

Nah, it's not big enough. Semiskilled workers like truck drivers are relatively well paid and won't work for subsistence wages if other options are available. I'm talking like straight up 20% unemployment along with our decreased LFPR.

The fact is that people WILL work for slave wages if they must, and we as Americans have decided that we're OK with near-slave wages already (like $8.50/hr in San Mateo, CA, suburb of San Francisco). Why pay for expensive automation when you can just curbstomp labor?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radbot posted:

My question is, why would everything become automated when all you'd need to do is automate a big enough chunk of the workforce (say, just fast food) to create a massive permanent underclass that will terrify people into having jobs that only pay for room and board?

If I own a trucking company, I'd rather pay humans slave wages and deal with a crash every now and then rather than paying millions upfront to retrofit my trucks for some dumb reason like the safety of other drivers.

Because eventually the technology will be cheaper once it reaches that scale. Big businesses or even small businesses aren't really thinking about the sociological impact when they employ or let go a work force but are driven by their numbers.

Once it becomes cheaper to automate it you can bet it will start with the larger firms who will then set the bar for everyone else, and if the smaller firms can no longer compete...

Also safety of other drivers is a dumb reason? I believe Tracy Morgan would like to have a couple of words with you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

A college friend of mine worked on an autopilot system that could keep a plane in the air automatically even if ~25% of the wing surface is explosively removed in-flight, so autopilot is basically a solved problem as far as I know. I'm fairly confident you could also keep a truck on the road during a tire failure or whatever with similar software. You also might not even need crazy tricks to try to scare four-wheelers into doing anything since a machine can respond orders of magnitude faster than people to an emergency - including just driving the loving thing off the road and into a ditch or ravine or whatever because who gives a poo poo: it's just a robot carrying fungible junk between the excerpts of cities (at least at first).

Also all of the beer on the list Fried Chicken posted are at best boring and most are just bad.

Autopilots that can keep a plane in the air were invented in the 1930s.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Because eventually the technology will be cheaper once it reaches that scale. Big businesses or even small businesses aren't really thinking about the sociological impact when they employ or let go a work force but are driven by their numbers.

Once it becomes cheaper to automate it you can bet it will start with the larger firms who will then set the bar for everyone else, and if the smaller firms can no longer compete...

Also safety of other drivers is a dumb reason? I believe Tracy Morgan would like to have a couple of words with you.

I personally care about road safety but let's not pretend that the calculus isn't determined by whether it's cheaper to pay out a settlement versus buying a fleet of robot trucks.

hobbesmaster posted:

And who cares if auto land doesn't work at Bumfuck, MS Regional Airport? Place the transceivers at like a few dozen airports and you're covering 80% of domestic air travel. It's not that robots will be able to deal with every situation perfectly, they will be able to deal with the majority of situations perfectly, which will still cause cascading effects in unemployment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah it's important to remember that there's not actually a shadowy cabal of capitalists planning to screw the common man, it's a bunch of self interested assholes that tend to go in the same direction without macro-management.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

hobbesmaster posted:

They've been using autopilot landings (and assisted landings) for 20+ years in Europe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj3mNQnOuQA&t=185s

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Saying a technology will or won't happen is pretty dumb. About the only thing we can count on in the future is the GOP being fuckwads. See: phone technology vs fusion.

The real question should be, if trucks become drone haulers, will they still be able to cut off commuter vehicles? It takes skill to wait until an overtaking vehicle is 10' off the tail before changing into their lane to pass the truck in front. I commend their ability to command my middle finger.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radbot posted:

I personally care about road safety but let's not pretend that the calculus isn't determined by whether it's cheaper to pay out a settlement versus buying a fleet of robot trucks.

Of course court costs aren't the only factor, who is saying that? Union fears, employee costs (though since a lot of firms are pushing the whole owner/operator thing I can't imagine them being too much), or the simple fact that at some point during a 24 hour period the driver will have to rest whereas a machine won't. It's all a matter of how cheap human capital is relative to the technology.

Would it change your tune if fleets of robot trucks were a stepping stone to a real life Optimus Prime?

DemeaninDemon posted:

Saying a technology will or won't happen is pretty dumb. About the only thing we can count on in the future is the GOP being fuckwads. See: phone technology vs fusion.

The real question should be, if trucks become drone haulers, will they still be able to cut off commuter vehicles? It takes skill to wait until an overtaking vehicle is 10' off the tail before changing into their lane to pass the truck in front. I commend their ability to command my middle finger.

To be fair other drivers can be major douchebags toward truckers. They are big, slow and no driver ever wants to be behind them so they are used to being cut off so they probably have to get aggressive.

Fun tip, don't act a fool around truckers. The one that you cut off will probably tell the rest how big a jerk you are and may start loving with you on the road.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 19, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mitt Romney posted:

They've been using autopilot landings (and assisted landings) for 20+ years in Europe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj3mNQnOuQA&t=185s

Auto land is from the 1960s. Heathrow allowed ILS category IIIc landings for properly equipped aircraft (L1011s?) for a while in the 70s. Slight problem though: you can't read the taxiway markings if you have zero visibility so they'd be stuck on the runway until a follow me car was dispatched. Now pretty much every airport has a cat IIIa which requires the pilots to have sift of the runway at an altitude of 200ft.

Also recall that the Asiana 777 crash was because they had to fly an approach on a runway without a localizer. At SFO.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DemeaninDemon posted:

The only thing more dumb than predicting whether technologies will "happen" is pretending like we don't have this poo poo already and that one of the largest companies in the world has stated that they want this tech publicly available within 5 years.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

Of course court costs aren't the only factor, who is saying that? Union fears, employee costs (though since a lot of firms are pushing the whole owner/operator thing I can't imagine them being too much), or the simple fact that at some point during a 24 hour period the driver will have to rest whereas a machine won't. It's all a matter of how cheap human capital is relative to the technology.

Would it change your tune if fleets of robot trucks were a stepping stone to a real life Optimus Prime?

To be fair other drivers can be major douchebags toward truckers. They are big, slow and no driver ever wants to be behind them so they are used to being cut off so they probably have to get aggressive.

Fun tip, don't act a fool around truckers. The one that you cut off will probably tell the rest how big a jerk you are and may start loving with you on the road.

Following distance is the best indicator of douche driver.

Also good job radbot Israel says the same things about Iran's nukes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gravel Gravy posted:

Most long haul stuff (at least by tonnage iirc?) is done by train so it's not like there's a terrible amount of demand for stuff beyond what a person can normally* do.

*with the help of amphetamines

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Following distance is the best indicator of douche driver.

Also good job radbot Israel says the same things about Iran's nukes.

The difference of course being that Iran has no nukes, whereas Google has built dozens (hundreds?) of selfdriving cars and passed the one million mile, accident free driving mark many months (years?) ago.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

computer parts posted:

Most long haul stuff (at least by tonnage iirc?) is done by train so it's not like there's a terrible amount of demand for stuff beyond what a person can normally* do.

*with the help of amphetamines

Which is why it's rare to see semis on interstate routes like 70, right?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

That's nice :confused:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

Which is why it's rare to see semis on interstate routes like 70, right?

Denver to Pittsburgh is 21 hours and that's most of that route.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

The difference of course being that Iran has no nukes, whereas Google has built dozens (hundreds?) of selfdriving cars and passed the one million mile, accident free driving mark many months (years?) ago.

Still reeks of 'any day guys it'll change the world!'

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

And a fun postscript to the week: Aaron Schock is also on the Budget Committee, serving until the end of the month.

So... hm. How does that change calculations after he resigns?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I'm sure if we actually start using driverless trucks then the only changes won't be on their side. We can add in some wireless warning system for construction/detours on top of the already really good system gmaps/waze/etc. Driverless cars already use visual imaging for obstacles so that is taken care of, and we can probably put together some 21st century cb radio system where they can share info about all this with other nearby driverless trucks.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
So Obama is talking about mandatory voting today. What a glorious pipedream.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Still reeks of 'any day guys it'll change the world!'

I just want a Minority Report car, is that too much to ask? :reject:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I, Robot had cooler self driving cars

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

blunt for century posted:

I just want a Minority Report car, is that too much to ask? :reject:

The Minority Report model is actually one of the more feasible ideas from a technical standpoint, i.e. 'smart roads' that take over guidance when you get on the highway, and manual control on surface/rural roads. The roads could also power the cars inductively, making long-distance trips in an electric car much easier. These technologies are all either already mature or pretty close to it, and since most collisions resulting in fatalities happen on highways and other high-speed roads, that's where you get the greatest benefit from automation.

Unfortunately implementing something like this would be a massive, multiple-decade nationwide infrastructure project, and governments won't even commit to maintaining our existing infrastructure, much less revolutionizing it.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Can someone explain to me why automated fast food restaurants would succeed where automats failed?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I, Robot had cooler self driving cars

The spherical wheels were definitely badass, but the hybridized manual/autopilot driving from Minority Report was definitely cooler from a 'that actually seems possible' kind of way

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Well as far as I know Automats failed because they were replaced by fast food places and home microwaves or at least that's what I've picked up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kro-Bar posted:

So Obama is talking about mandatory voting today. What a glorious pipedream.

quote:

Australia is one of many modern democracies to have embraced compulsory voting.

Uhhhhh didn't Australia also vote in a conservative shithead?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

Well as far as I know Automats failed because they were replaced by fast food places and home microwaves or at least that's what I've picked up.

And fast food is in decline already isn't it? Keep on hearing things about McDonald's getting more and more desperate , including possibly using kale after saying they would never use kale.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

Oh, by the way, the House Budget Committee finally gave up at 12:10 last night and left without an agreement between Committee Chairman Tom Price and Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy on the Overseas Contingency Operations fund amendment. There are supposedly four or five holdouts on the committee who won't vote for it and the Democrats all plan to vote no on any budget items the Republicans try to move. Interesting note about the makeup of the committee: of the 22 Republicans on it, five of them didn't vote for Boehner to be Speaker. This includes luminaries like David Brat and Marlin Stutzman.

Budget Committee passed the budget 22-13, a party-line vote. There was no vote on the OCO amendment, so no extra defense spending*. It's on to the House Rules Committee, now, and then the floor.

* This is important because McCain has said he won't vote for any budget that leaves military spending at sequestration levels.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

And fast food is in decline already isn't it? Keep on hearing things about McDonald's getting more and more desperate , including possibly using kale after saying they would never use kale.

Well I've heard McDonald's is in decline but fast food as a whole I'm not sure. Especially with the expansion of "premium" fast food places like Five Guys or Shake Shack and I think those are doing well I know Shake Shack just had a pretty successful IPO back in February

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

^^ IIRC Shake Shack's valuation was totally absurd, though

Edmund Lava posted:

Can someone explain to me why automated fast food restaurants would succeed where automats failed?

Just from glancing at the wiki
- We've solved the payment problem (the originals didn't even have bill acceptors)
- The food would be prepared on demand to order instead of being pre-made and stored cold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Uhhhhh didn't Australia also vote in a conservative shithead?

Which is a nice way to refute conservative worries about letting all the ferals have a mandatory vote

• Locked thread