Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Captain Oblivious posted:

How do you even win a siege as the attacker at that point :psyboom:

How do you win a siege as the defender against that? All your walls do is make it harder for you to reach them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Does...does that apply to all ranged units or just units using longbows and support? Can you have magic no-LOS cannons?

So, just for clarification. All Racial Governance upgrades fit certain criteria.

1. The unit (or city) needs to be same race, so the Elf level 5 bonus only works with elf ranged units, not all range units universally.

2. Military upgrades will always specify a specific unit or keyword for the bonus to be applicable, so in this case the bonus only takes effect for Elf units that are classified as Archer or Support units. (Note, Musketeers are archers...)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

madmac posted:

So, just for clarification. All Racial Governance upgrades fit certain criteria.

1. The unit (or city) needs to be same race, so the Elf level 5 bonus only works with elf ranged units, not all range units universally.

2. Military upgrades will always specify a specific unit or keyword for the bonus to be applicable, so in this case the bonus only takes effect for Elf units that are classified as Archer or Support units. (Note, Musketeers are archers...)

Yeah, I didn't know if it applied to the Archer/Support tag only or was more general. Perma-Seeker Muskets is already pretty goddamn whoa, though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Perma-Seeker Apprentices. :getin:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Thyrork posted:

Perma-Seeker Apprentices. :getin:

Are apprentices any good for siege defense? I've been using racial archer units and combined with that electric fence spell nothing gets through.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Once your apprentices can stun with ranged attacks they're great on siege defences.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

John Charity Spring posted:

Once your apprentices can stun with ranged attacks they're great on everything.
fixed that for you

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
That post about facial hair on female heroes was a good read. Feature request: assign creatures like elementals and gluttons a random gender

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Are dwellings supposed to give double the merchandise bonus? This dragon nest is giving +100% gold income instead of the usual +50% with cities. I don't want to bug report this if it's not a bug.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A question about racial XP- does it scale with the number of cities? Say, if I have 5 Human cities and 5 Elven cities, will I need more Racial Governance XP to improve their stuff than if I only had one or the other?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

A question about racial XP- does it scale with the number of cities? Say, if I have 5 Human cities and 5 Elven cities, will I need more Racial Governance XP to improve their stuff than if I only had one or the other?

It's a bit complex, but Racial XP is basically a function of number of cities+modifiers for size, racial happiness, ect. Migration is such a powerful mono-race strat because it maximizes your number of same-race cities while also increasing happiness for that race considerably. You have a separate XP bar for every race in your empire.

Having more cities actually accelerates the rate of XP gain. That said, the XP benchmarks for unlocking new bonuses are also exponential, you aren't going to see Diety level bonuses often, especially in multiplayer.

Evil basically gets to race up a single tech tree faster while good is able to accumulate a larger number of low-level bonuses. Overall this favors evil playstyle quite a bit because the higher level rewards are much stronger but good has something of an advantage with the new victory condition, so there's that.

quote:

Are dwellings supposed to give double the merchandise bonus? This dragon nest is giving +100% gold income instead of the usual +50% with cities. I don't want to bug report this if it's not a bug.

Not sure it's intended. Could be a bug.

madmac fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 20, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Of course, all that said, it's not like anything in the game is forcing you into a pure good/evil playstyle. Unless you're rocking one of the new specializations (Which you might be, cause they're hella sweet) it's about as easy to play an amoral pragmatist as it ever was. The new alignment mechanics are fun to play with, but it's pretty refreshing rolling up plain old Fire Mastery once in a while and just doing whatever.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
So if evil is deep and good is broad, what is the platonic ideal that a neutral run would be, racial-wise?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Malachamavet posted:

So if evil is deep and good is broad, what is the platonic ideal that a neutral run would be, racial-wise?

Good is leaving the cities as you found them. Neutral is like Good, except you rearrange some things at will; e.g. give your starting race a few extra cities or replace every city of just one race you don't want to bother with.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Splicer posted:

While we're talking about character editors, what's with the orc spikey hair options? They don't so much look like spikey hair as just... spikes.

I would also like to add that human beards look weird as hell on some of the male face models - there's a really visible empty space between the skin and the beard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So I finally got a chance to check out the beta changes and holy gently caress, Sprint + Warcry is one hell of a combo on a 40 gold Irregular that you can crank out 1/turn from the word go. If you use their abilities right I'm pretty sure you can just manfight T1 Infantry of the less brawny races.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

John Charity Spring posted:

Once your apprentices can stun with ranged attacks they're great on siege defences.

Draconian Apprentices can throw Firebombs for AOE stuns are ridiculous for city defense. It's seriously annoying to siege a Draconian Sorcerer's cities since the AI loves spamming Apprentices.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Evil basically gets to race up a single tech tree faster while good is able to accumulate a larger number of low-level bonuses. Overall this favors evil playstyle quite a bit because the higher level rewards are much stronger but good has something of an advantage with the new victory condition, so there's that.

Pure Evil also locks you into using one race, which means you're stuck with that race's weaknesses, so there's that too. Going pure Elf and fighting a goblin empire in blighted terrain puts you at a pretty huge disadvantage. Similarly, a good player can mix match race units for better armies. So you can have Hafling support units with their morale boost, mixed in with Orc melee for war cry, and Elf ranged. That's the theory anyways, I'm not sure how well it works out in practice :)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ojetor posted:

Draconian Apprentices can throw Firebombs for AOE stuns are ridiculous for city defense. It's seriously annoying to siege a Draconian Sorcerer's cities since the AI loves spamming Apprentices.

As a sorceror Apprentices are basically all you need to produce.

Well, that and grand palaces.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I'm struggling to get the balance of expanding right in this game. Either I'm not expanding fast enough, or I'm not expanding in the right way. I'm coming up against AI players that are way bigger than me and outpace my production in a big way. What should I be doing differently?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Snow Job posted:

Good is leaving the cities as you found them. Neutral is like Good, except you rearrange some things at will; e.g. give your starting race a few extra cities or replace every city of just one race you don't want to bother with.
I mean, when was the last time a bad person tried to kill off an entire race for propaganda reasons.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Neutral is just being afraid to admit that you're bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I detest the new enemy teleportation AI because it keeps catching me totally pants down. I keep forgetting about it and having some lovely rear end wisps teleport flank some archers and kill them, or some stupid elf cavalry decapitate a hero because I left them too vulnerable at low HP.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kanos posted:

I detest the new enemy teleportation AI because it keeps catching me totally pants down. I keep forgetting about it and having some lovely rear end wisps teleport flank some archers and kill them, or some stupid elf cavalry decapitate a hero because I left them too vulnerable at low HP.

I haven't yet had an important city besieged by mass Unicorn Riders since the AI learned how to teleport, but I bet I'll be incredibly salty about it when it happens. So many units that used to be whatever are dangerous now.

Even Absorb Pain can be a bitch to deal with now sometimes. Nothing like the tomb setup where the Martyrs immediately absorb pain on the assassins and then hide out in the back.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
That sorcerer game was hilariously fun and ended :smug: as I dropped unending waves of eldritch abominations on the enemy throne city that their main heroes were held up in. The added chaos rift was probably overkill but, gently caress them for spamming that riot inducing city spell. I'm kind of sad it's over but, time for a new game.

I played human theocrat with creation mastery and expander but, it felt kind of weak. It ended in victory with a long drawn out exalted spam vs shadow stalker. The enemy rogue had murdered everyone else while I was building swarms of flying things.

I also tried a goblin dreadnought but, I have no idea how to play that class and got destroyed by a multi front war before I could get tier 4 units.

Any suggestions on what to play next?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Destruction Master Goblin Archdruid, turn the whole world into a blight covered pit full of killer spiders.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Destruction Master/Earth Adept elf druid is the only way to play druid.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Human Water Mastery ArchDruid on an island map. Rule the waves.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Expander/Wild Mastery Elf Warlord lets you expand and cover the world in arrows while still having the best magic type and some great summons.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Azuth0667 posted:

I also tried a goblin dreadnought but, I have no idea how to play that class and got destroyed by a multi front war before I could get tier 4 units.

Not quite as effective anymore, but the secret to Dreadnought is to have at least one city putting out a constant stream of musketeers.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Not quite as effective anymore, but the secret to Dreadnought is to have at least one city putting out a constant stream of musketeers.

Ah okay I was trying to spam engineers and cannons. My first batch of musketeers got destroyed along with my ruler so I gave up on them.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Afriscipio posted:

I'm struggling to get the balance of expanding right in this game. Either I'm not expanding fast enough, or I'm not expanding in the right way. I'm coming up against AI players that are way bigger than me and outpace my production in a big way. What should I be doing differently?

First of all, your armies should always be maxxing out their movement. Never spend a single turn resting or waiting for reinforcements if you can avoid it. This way, your armies and heroes should be pretty well vetted by the time you meet your first rival, and you should have a nice mix of extra resources, items, and units from lootig. It's often worth just murdering that first AI right away; you should have a couple of silver/gold cavalry, archers, and/or t3 units from ruins or starting out, which should crush the computer's lovely chaff that it likes to run with in the beginning. This is especially true if you have summons; they can give you a serious early edge because you don't need to wait for them to arrive from your capital.

I usually only found one or two additional cities in a normal size random map game; everything else should come from vassals or conquest. Build order is usually builders hall->possibly a unit depending on race/class (orc spearmen or elven longbows or halfling adventures are pretty much the gold standard as far as early give utility imo)->Storehouse-> (class unit depending on class) ->settler.

The AI expands pretty slowly; even on emperor, I rarely find that I am behind in cities. How many turns into the game are you encountering these beefy computers? 15? 30? By fifty, the game is often over if I'm playing an aggressive combo and manage to luck out!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Ah okay I was trying to spam engineers and cannons. My first batch of musketeers got destroyed along with my ruler so I gave up on them.

You don't need more then 2 cannons in a stack, ever. Same rule for Juggernaughts. Try 2/2/2 Cannons, Golems, Engineers. Any Dread hero or your leader can take up an engineer slot. One stack with golems and cannons, second stack with like 4 muskets, Golem, Engineer. Use the Muskets and Golems to screen for your cannons while they line up big aoe shots and kill everything.

Using a couple of artllery pieces to do all your damage is the secret to playing Dread, really.

Edit: No dev journal, but a front page patch update and some teasers for next week:

http://ageofwonders.com/v1-53-open-beta-update-now-live/

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 20, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

Destruction Master Goblin Archdruid, turn the whole world into a blight covered pit full of killer spiders.

Imma doin' it. With a splash of Water Adept on the side. :getin:

E: and that game ended in me ragequitting because my goblins decided that the best way to get around underground... was to run to the unexplored overworld, putting them out of position.

So just a heads up, be careful with long moves while underground. :v:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 20, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Heh, full cheevo list posted:

http://ageofwonders.com/eternal-lords-achievements-list/

I guess this means I need to try and max out my achievements before the expansion launches...

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Disappointed they didn't go for the full Cats Rule Everything Around Me.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The trick to dread is to use wild magic and start every combat swapping a drone with a random enemy.

Drones are the best.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Nasgate posted:

The trick to dread is to use wild magic and start every combat swapping a drone with a random enemy.

Drones are the best.

I'll have to try that so far I haven't found much use for most of the dreadnought a spells.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Remember, Swap only affects units of the same tier, and you can target either one of your units or an enemy unit. If you only have tanky tier II or III units, you can pull over an enemy unit of the same tier as you choose. My best siege strat was tossing a Tireless Defender golem right over the walls and getting a trebuchet or something in return, last time I played a dreadnought.

E: If drones are the only tier I in your stack, you get to pull down archers, most like.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

I'll have to try that so far I haven't found much use for most of the dreadnought a spells.

It's pretty awesome if you have a decent magic income. You start the battle by instantly murdering whoever swapped, and the AI will rush to explode the drone on top of themselves.

Repeatedly summoning drones can get expensive though.

• Locked thread