Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm waiting on the day that kill or spare options mean more than 'let them go without even a flick on the forehead' and 'beat them within an inch of their life, throw them down a chemical vat and finish off by putting them through a wood chipper positioned so the chunks fly over their horrified family.'

Anyway, I'm going with Kill because loving hell how can you be so thick as to think that she'd just let you walk? If the Spare option let you bust his face up, I would've gone with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I am full of spite and that man led to Reggies death so I say Murder.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Samovar posted:

OK, I'm beginning to see what makes the faces look odd, despite the facial animation being so good - it's the teeth. The teeth don't look realistic.

I've been saying this since the game came out. The rest of the game looks fantastic, but the teeth throw closeup shots straight into the uncanny valley. They're too defined from each other I think, too dark around the edges. They even went the extra mile to make Fetch's slightly yellowed, presumably because she probably didn't have easy access to toothpaste as a hobo/addict, but they're still way too defined.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Reggie wouldn't want Delsin to murder anyone, especially in front of their child. Spare.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I'm waiting on the day that kill or spare options mean more than 'let them go without even a flick on the forehead' and 'beat them within an inch of their life, throw them down a chemical vat and finish off by putting them through a wood chipper positioned so the chunks fly over their horrified family.'

I think video games should just scrap karma systems until everyone in the industry can sit down and figure out something that actually makes sense. There's exceptionally few (I can't even think of one off the top of my head) that actually balance moral choices in a coherent way. Nobody can think of any bad choice that has a level of subtlety or moral grayness. Do they think that it wouldn't make sense if it wasn't obvious?

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Is it me or is the game audio much quieter than the commentary?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Gideon020 posted:

Not just you and holy gently caress do my ears hurt.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

Gideon020 posted:

Yeah, that's intentional. Cutting up audio is actually, literally impossible with the editing software I'm using for this so it's a pretty brute-force and not ideal solution. I tried to work around it in some pretty dumb ways and was foiled at every turn. This is seriously not an exaggeration and as frustrating as you can imagine. I might have a solution though so I'm going to try it and maybe go back to fix older videos where this is a problem.

Of course, I wasn't using my usual headphones when I put everything together and I didn't think it was that loud either but I'll keep a closer eye on that. Maybe my hearing is going bad or these headphones are utter trash. LPs are harder than I ever thought, dang. In any case, here's some more uncommentated First Light while I get poo poo sorted. Thanks for your patience.

:siren: 2. They Taste Better When They Run :siren:

Because I'm a real dumbo, I forgot to mention one other way getting lumens. Fetch also has graffiti art but a lot less of it and no choices to make, so let's knock those out of the way too.

Graffiti Roundup, First Light style

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 11, 2015

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
oh okay so they're just straight up stealing Saint's Row IV's leveling system (which in turn stole it from Crackdown)

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Just putting up the no-commentary over cutscenes/dialogue version of They Taste Better When They Run. I'm using editing software from this decade now so from here on out stuff will be as it was intended and we'll just be removing our jabbering from dialogue heavy instances. I'm still getting used to it so if there are any issues with the audio or god forbid somehow the video as well, I'll do my best to get those kinks worked out. Expect some more First Light this week!

I'm also gonna go ahead and call it and say the thread has chosen to spare Hank, unless against all odds the thread is suddenly inundated with kill Hank. Thanks for indulging my curiosity and dealing with me bumbling through this in general! Of course, I've neglected to put up the next round of graffiti so I guess let's just go ahead and start with that?

Here's what we're choosing from this time:

Origami Airlines / Catch!
I Scream Cone / Pop-Sicle
Safe! / Flower Power
Never Stand Under an Elephant / Pink Rain
Mind Over Bladder / Payback

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Hi hello, here's a :siren: First Light update :siren:

3. Scout's Honor, or Uncut commentary

The end of Second Son will be this weekend, probably!! Wow! There's still graffiti and a few little extras to get though so we won't be saying goodbye to Delsin completely.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
God Shane's an rear end. A believable rear end. A well-written rear end I would totally love to see beaten to a pulp.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Alright, it's looking like I'll just flip a coin for graffiti roundups. I dunno. In any case, let this double First Light update end the game. It's pretty good, all told. If there's anything else you'd like to see just let me know and we'll find it or something.

:siren: 4. It's a Date, or uncut commentary
5. She's Ready, or uncut commentary :siren:

I guess tomorrow will be the end of Second Son other than a few extras and graffiti.

e: also these should be in 60FPS now so that's pretty cool provided I didn't gently caress it up somehow--which is always extremely likely.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I agree that the vaporization at the end there is pretty extreme... probably cause Fetch takes her time over it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Not having any luck trying to locate any info related to the story changes you mention in the video. Is there a particular named article, publication, blog, or post I should use to refine my search?

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Searching 'Destiny original storyline' should get you there, but I don't believe it's anything entirely reputable. I think it's all based on some Reddit post. :shrug: Here's a Forbes article about it, but there are a variety of other places that put their two cents in on it actually being real. Anything would have been better than throwaway sentences that you can't even see in the game itself but it wouldn't have won any awards--provided it's even true.

Anyways,

:siren: 12. Hey, Wait, I've Got a New Complaint, or cut commentary

This is the end of the story. All that's left is graffiti and a bonus video or two with some more backstory stuff, but no one seems particularly interested in Paper Trail so if that's the case I'm fine calling it here. Of course, if I'm wrong, please tell me and I'll do all that. Since I don't want to awkwardly further prolong the graffiti stuff, the rest will be good or evil. I'll take the first choice that's posted and go from there. If not, I'll... flip a coin, I guess? Other than that, just want to say thanks again for bearing with me as we bumbled our way through our first real deal LP. We had a lot of fun!

And the very cool @AwrySquare on twitter drew this for the thread. You should absolutely check their art out and follow them. I don't believe they have a forums account so that's how I'm crediting them.

I forgot why I said something about bunny Delsin??

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 8, 2015

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm gonna go ahead and call out good.

edit: Also just a heads up, you link to the cut version of Tyrant Wounded instead of the latest update in both the OP and in the post you just made instead of the video I think you intended to.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 8, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Were you going to make a video showing off the differences between the good and evil powers?

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas

SaffronKit posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and call out good.

edit: Also just a heads up, you link to the cut version of Tyrant Wounded instead of the latest update in both the OP and in the post you just made instead of the video I think you intended to.

Even at the end of the thread, I'm still sloppy with my linking. Thanks, gonna fix that now! Also, yes, there will be a video showcase of powers from both karmas.

e: links are fixed.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'll ask that you make Good gratifies

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

cardinal direction posted:

Searching 'Destiny original storyline' should get you there, but I don't believe it's anything entirely reputable. I think it's all based on some Reddit post. :shrug: Here's a Forbes article about it, but there are a variety of other places that put their two cents in on it actually being real.

Oh, you were referring to Destiny, not Second Son. That explains why I wasn't finding it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

All the time this game being set in Seattle and no jokes about Frasier? For shame.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
I'm not totally sure ilthrel has even heard of Frasier, to be honest.

Evil powers showcase

Good powers + concrete showcase

Graffiti Roundup Finale

In retrospect, the Evil powers don't really change things that much. Video is the one that plays the most differently, in my opinion, and Neon is just not that great as an Evil Delsin. Good Delsin can at least benefit from Video, but evil Neon is lacking in a lot of ways if you ask me. Smoke is a nice middle ground but it lacks the mobility. Cinder Blast that disintegrates though is fantastic and especially so considering you can play Evil Delsin with much less precision and care. Concrete is a cute bonus but it doesn't get a karmic streak or any karma specific powers. It's extremely limited. I forgot to mention it, and will likely go back to change that, but upgrading Concrete can get you 20% more damage resistance which is... certainly something that exists.

As per SaffronKit's lightning quick choice of good, you can now enjoy a solid 20 minutes of graffiti. Personally, I think the good graffiti is better anyway so it was a lucky coincidence.

Well I guess that's it if there's nothing else anyone wants to see! There are the little side missions scattered around the map but they're not THAT interesting. Thanks again for watching. We learned a lot and already have some plans for what we want to do next. It was fun!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hold the phone - I seem to recall somebody saying during this game that you encounter someone with 'paper' powers, or am I just uttery mistaken?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yes, that's the Paper Trail subplot. It's a few side missions where you do X thing, then have to log onto a website and participate in a very obtuse ARG to unlock the in game side missions again. Or, more likely, look up a guide online.

You get a few more text logs that make it bleedingly obvious that Augustine manipulated the whole thing into making Delsin, Eugene, Fetch, and Hank into more perfect villains to justify her existance. And when you finally track down the paper person They bugger off without a boss fight because they couldn't figure out how to make paper a combat viable power.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it. I mentioned it waaaay back in the OP and throughout the thread here and there, but nobody ever really showed interest in seeing it so that's why we sort of decided to just skip it. I guess it's kinda neat but I ended up finding a guide as well to finish it, so I'm not entirely sure if it was successful in what it set out to do. It's a shame, because paper could potentially be a pretty fun power. If people DO want to see it, then I'll record that but it's probably going to be on the backburner because we want to move on to something new and a little more varied in terms of content. I like Second Son a lot but it can get pretty repetitive.

Really, a lot of the extra exposition just reinforces what you already know. There are audio logs scattered around Seattle as part of the side missions, but... they're basically things you could have inferred from the game itself and First Light. They're told by, presumably, a DUP agent that defected.

Here's a transcript of them if you are extremely curious about them though:

quote:

1. "Augustine is the most powerful Conduit I've ever seen. And she's got all the DUP as her loyal lap dogs. The mission has always been to collect Bio-terrorists to keep the world safe. She's done it so well that the government says they don't need the DUP anymore. I gotta tell you kid, I wouldn't wanna be the government right now. Augustine IS the DUP. Sayin' they don't need the DUP is sayin' they don't need Augustine. That's a bad idea. Worse, it's a powder keg just waiting for a spark- a spark like you."

2. "I remember when all of this started for me. I was military, they already had my blood on file. I was the only one in my unit who had tested positive for the conduit gene. They offered me a transfer to the Special Affairs department of the newly formed D.U.P... I'd be running down Bio-terrorists and making America a safer place for Ma and Pa. I went for it. I went for all of it. Even when they were driving all the needles into me and pumping me full of God knows what. Even through the headaches and the seizures, I believed the mission. I believed HER. Augustine."

3. "Augustine's lookin' for you, and she's lookin' hard, man. Just the other day we pulled up to a D.U.P. protest, and immediately 'grounded' the protestors. That's what we call encasing them in concrete. Augustine said, the first person who told her where to find Delsin Rowe would go free. And once those concrete daggers dig into your joints, you'll say anything to get them out. Every single one of them swore on their mothers grave that they could lead her right to you. I'm sure it was all lies but just the same, watch your back."

4. "I never would have this to his face, but Hank Daughtry was smarter than I ever gave him credit for. The guy had escaped from a couple of jails before we came across him. Plus he managed to keep his head in Curdun Cay, something even the smartest inmates had problems with. Rumor around the water cooler was that he might have been the one who caused the transport accident up in Salmon Bay. The one that let himself and those other two conduits escape. Just think how different your world would be right now if he hadn't been on that transport."

5. "We brought in someone from your village today. He was pretty worked over, but still coherent. The Akomish are tough. Augustine told him he had tested positive for the conduit gene and that he had one chance to join her. He looked a her... and just started laughing. She was furious. I've seen her use that 'you're a conduit too' tactic before. Works more than you'd think. Not on your buddy though. He just kept laughing until Augustine told them to take him away to Curdun Cay and forget about him. Before he was taken away he said 'when you see Delsin, tell him I said hi from the Akomish.'"

6. "Augustine gave me a special detail this morning. It was one of the worst things I've ever had to do. I was to oversee the collection of people who had tested positive for the conduit gene. We pulled them out of those big yellow suspicion pins you see around the city. I had to pull twenty people out of those cages kicking and screaming, begging for me to let them go. One woman asked me where I was taking her. I told her she was going to a safe place where no one would hurt her, and when it's all over she can go home. I hope this time I was right."

7. "Might surprise you to know that the D.U.P. wasn't always made up of concrete conduits. They experimented on a number of abilities. They needed something visually strong, easy to train, and versatile. This proved harder than you'd imagine. All the plant and organic abilities made people uneasy, wire proved way too hard to control, and paper didn't convey strength and security. Surprisingly, glass was a strong contender, but eventually proved too difficult to master. Augustine's concrete ability became more and more the only obvious choice. She was the the poster child of the D.U.P. It made sense her ability would be the one imbued in all the troops."

8. "Crazier this city gets, the more it just proves Augustine was right.Conduits and humans can't live together. We're too different. Too dangerous. I mean, think about it from their side. If humans have a bad day, they might punch a hole in the wall, or crash their car. Conduits have a bad day and the body count is double digits. Conduits are at a completely different weight class than humans. I'm not like Augustine. I don't have some grand vision for how all of this should play out . But I do know I don't wanna live out my golden years terrifying my neighbors or worse, in a prison camp."

9. "I met Fetch Walker on the worst day of her life. I was in the team ordered to bring her skinny rear end in. I have no idea how those two dumb junkies managed to stay one step ahead of us for so long. And Fetch had her worst day ever. She killed her brother with her powers. It was an accident, and when we found her she was a wreck. The easiest collection my team's ever had. I've sent a lot of people to Curdun Cay, and before that night I never thought much about where I was sending them. But now... It's all I think about. I don't know what that girl needed, but it wasn't a prison."

10. "Fetch Walker spent the better part of her years in Curdun Cay in the corner of her cell curled up in the fetal position. She might be a badass laser beam throwing conduit now, but back then, with no drugs to keep back the demons, a loud voice was more intimidating then her. That was all part of Augustine's plan: break her down, train her, then break her down again. It was sad as hell. When I saw Fetch's escape on the newsfeed, I had to fight to keep from smiling."

11. "There was this girl in Curdun Cay, Celia. Apparently Augustine brought her in before there even was a D.U.P. She was our first prisoner. She had been kept in this prison for so long that she didn't remember what it was like on the outside. When she learned she was going to be transferred to another facility, she didn't take it well. Curdun Cay had been her whole life. She couln't handle the thought of leaving it, if you can believe that. The day before transport, she killed herself using her own ability. It was the saddest and most unnatural thing I've ever seen. When Augustine saw the body, she just stood there. No emotion. She told me and another guard to clean it up and get ready for the transport."

12. "You should've seen how pissed Augustine was when she realized you were drawing power from those core relays. She had no idea anyone could do that. She immediately ordered a recall of all of them, including the tracking drones. However, your little stunt on the Space Needle made it difficult, if not impossible to communicate that to everyone. She stormed out of the command and went over to the storage room where we keep our tracking drones in the hives. You could hear her banging and shouting in there. She was trying to drain the power from it, like you did. There must be something special about your abilities, because she didn't come out more powerful; just more pissed."

13. "Can you imagine being thrown in a hole and tortured for seven years. *sigh* That poor kid Eugene... He wasn't quite right when they brought him in. What Augustine did to him, it's amazing he can still carry on a conversation. I often wondered what her plan was. Why she was putting him through so much pain and suffering. The only conclusion I came up with was that she was training him for a mission. A mission for what? I'll never know. Military came in and he was one of the first conduits shipped out. Whatever his mission was going to be, it couldn't be good."

14. "You ever wonder how many powers you can hold? Augustine does. She doesn't like the idea of you ever finding your way to Curdun Cay. They've got a lot of different conduits there. Not just the ones you've seen here in Seattle. Glass, wire, paper... Man, it's a long strange list. Imagine what could happen if you came to Curdun Cay. Think if you got all those powers. You'd become... Man that scares me. I bet it terrifies Augustine."

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I would personally love to see wire as a power.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Having spent last weekend cutting concrete-reinforcing wire to make tomato cages, I would NOT want to be on the receiving end of wire powers. The scrapes I picked up when some things went sproing are just healing up now.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Yes, that's the Paper Trail subplot. It's a few side missions where you do X thing, then have to log onto a website and participate in a very obtuse ARG to unlock the in game side missions again. Or, more likely, look up a guide online.

You get a few more text logs that make it bleedingly obvious that Augustine manipulated the whole thing into making Delsin, Eugene, Fetch, and Hank into more perfect villains to justify her existance. And when you finally track down the paper person They bugger off without a boss fight because they couldn't figure out how to make paper a combat viable power.

This is kind of dumb it's not like it's hard to make a paper enemy. Our Darker Purpose has an entire level with a paper theme.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Paper is the coolest power.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Great Joe posted:

Paper is the coolest power.

It's Augustine's weakness.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I wonder if they also have a scissor power, then.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Delsin only needs one piece of paper to defeat Augustine. But he needs to choose: "NOTICE OF DISMISSAL" or "ARREST WARRANT"? This is a Karma-affecting choice.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Great Joe posted:

I wonder if they also have a scissor power, then.

I bet Augustine has that one covered. :wiggle:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm kinda interested in seeing the paper subplot, if only to better understand the problems with it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

At the risk of making things harder for you, I am actually now slightly intrigued by the paper-subplot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
I'd like to say that'll happen at some point but I'm going through some personal stuff in my life at the moment that has totally drained me of any drive to play games for the internet. Sorry everyone. I'm going to close this thread for now and maybe come back to it. If anyone else would like to cover that themselves and post it here, you have my permission, I guess? I dunno, feel free to contact me through youtube if you want to do that and I'll open the thread up or whatever.

• Locked thread