Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Elliotw2 posted:

MW3's got the same issue as MW2 though, where all autocannons are burst fire (and they're completely awful there too.) MW4 and MWO just say gently caress it and it's literally a giant shotgun.

MWLL had pretty good LBX guns. They're still like mech shotguns, but with a choke. At their long range brackets the pellets would spread to about the same area of space as a medium mech. And with the way MWLL modeled critical slots, they were nice for finishing off enemies, but not so great for punching through armor, except for point-blank shots where all the pellets were going to hit the same location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qClewV5Y4-c&t=2580s

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I always kind of liked the way MW3 did autocannons. The way they handled was regular autocannons fired five-round bursts. LBX autocannons fired five round bursts of pellets. Ultra autocannons fired five round bursts just like regular autocannons, but they had a one second cycle time instead of two seconds, so they just plain fired twice as fast, instead of the two round burst system it's normally depicted as using.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Nah, the burst-fire's actually semi-canon too. Some cased autocannon rounds are pretty much set up like a revolver, the ammo itself is in a rotary casing that fires all of them in sequence then ejects. The Gray Death Legion books are all pretty stupid, by the way.

Ultra-Autocannons are caseless so of course they fire faster. :downs:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
One of these days I want to read some fightin' robot sci-fi by someone who actually knows the basic facts about guns, ballistics, lasers, gravity, and atomic fission/fusion.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

paragon1 posted:

One of these days I want to read some fightin' robot sci-fi by someone who actually knows the basic facts about guns, ballistics, lasers, gravity, and atomic fission/fusion.

Are you having trouble sleeping?

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

PoptartsNinja posted:

For some reason I love the idea of caseless ammunition in Battletech, because I'm always a fan of technologies that have been proven to be largely impractical being used in fiction. Making more situations where ammo could cook off and gently caress up a mech is also always welcome.

paragon1 posted:

I'd settle for simply being internally consistent about those items.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TildeATH posted:

Are you having trouble sleeping?

yes

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I personally avoided using autocannons back when I first played mw2 because they just shot out two short 1-pixel-wide lines and made an impotent buzzing sound. Also I was 9 at the time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I actually think the autocannon sound is pretty badass in mercs. Same for the PPCs.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I actually think the autocannon sound is pretty badass in mercs.

It may sound badass but goddamn does it suck in every other area.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's funny how you mentioned how terrible ACs are for sustained fire in MW2 but in MW4 the AC/20 was one of my favorite weapons for sustained brawls. I could just fire over and over and over without having to worry about heat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mektek made it hard to enjoy AC20s because heavy rocket launcher was those with way more ammo per ton, splash damage and an insane fire rate. You have to watch your heat simply because of how fast you can spam them. And they have stupid range if you're good at leading them.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

MechaCrash posted:

I always kind of liked the way MW3 did autocannons. The way they handled was regular autocannons fired five-round bursts. LBX autocannons fired five round bursts of pellets. Ultra autocannons fired five round bursts just like regular autocannons, but they had a one second cycle time instead of two seconds, so they just plain fired twice as fast, instead of the two round burst system it's normally depicted as using.

Yeah, it's been a while, but I remember the MW3 autocannons being pretty effective. The Annihilators that were wandering around Huntress for no appreciable reason could really cause you a problem, except that legging things in MW3 was even more ridiculously easy than in 2.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, the burst-fire's actually semi-canon too. Some cased autocannon rounds are pretty much set up like a revolver, the ammo itself is in a rotary casing that fires all of them in sequence then ejects. The Gray Death Legion books are all pretty stupid, by the way.

If you want B-grade pulp sci fi giant robot adventure, I fail to see how you could go wrong with the GDL books. Younger me in particular enjoyed them a lot better than Racist Space Politics with giant robots on the side.

...come to think of it, are any of the DCMS that show up on Trellwan even Asian? I remember a Ricol and a Singh (who was a Crusader driver until a spaceport blew up around him).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Casualty posted:

MWLL had pretty good LBX guns. They're still like mech shotguns, but with a choke. At their long range brackets the pellets would spread to about the same area of space as a medium mech. And with the way MWLL modeled critical slots, they were nice for finishing off enemies, but not so great for punching through armor, except for point-blank shots where all the pellets were going to hit the same location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qClewV5Y4-c&t=2580s

MWLL managed to take all the dumb Battletech fluff about it's systems, vehicles and mechs and all the dumb tabletop mechanics they have and convert it all into an FPS that made sense. It's really incredible just how well they did everything, from C3 and TAG/NARC to the awful IS/Clan Balance and generally weird as hell mechanics/fluff disconnect in the whole ballistics area. Having more than just Mechs really helped the bad Battletech weapons shine too.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yes, the irony is great, possibly too great, in being asked to defend Luthien after all that.

But I would've still paid good money to see the merc just throwing up their hands and going "I'll sit this one out" and watch the Combine fracture like an Urbanmech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

propatriamori posted:

If you want B-grade pulp sci fi giant robot adventure, I fail to see how you could go wrong with the GDL books. Younger me in particular enjoyed them a lot better than Racist Space Politics with giant robots on the side.

I've got a long-time grudge with the Gray Death Legion largely because they started the whole 'My Mary Sue has a bigger BattleMech than your Mary Sue' trend. They're one of the big reasons I quietly approve of the "No More Mercenaries" rule. They keep every single author from having a "pet" merc unit.

The only thing that ever posed a credible threat to any Carlyle was cancer.

evilmiera posted:

But I would've still paid good money to see the merc just throwing up their hands and going "I'll sit this one out" and watch the Combine fracture like an Urbanmech.

big spoilers for the failure run

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What's better for business, one very powerful very wealthy group of assholes, or thousands of smaller far less powerful and wealthy individuals?

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've got a long-time grudge with the Gray Death Legion largely because they started the whole 'My Mary Sue has a bigger BattleMech than your Mary Sue' trend. They're one of the big reasons I quietly approve of the "No More Mercenaries" rule. They keep every single author from having a "pet" merc unit.

The only thing that ever posed a credible threat to any Carlyle was cancer.

The direction that Death gazes seems like a plot contrivance throughout the Battletech corpus, or at least in the 35-ish books I've got. I reread Blood Legacy (I think? The second in the Phelan Kell/oh noes the Clans! series) the other day on a whim and the poo poo that Shin Yodama survives is even more ridiculous than what Kai goes through. Other than that, you basically get assassins popping out of closets.

Though I guess it's better for the setting as a whole if the authors are picking larger factions as their pets instead of a merc lance/company that has a death grudge against a minor Kuritan noble?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

propatriamori posted:

Though I guess it's better for the setting as a whole if the authors are picking larger factions as their pets instead of a merc lance/company that has a death grudge against a minor Kuritan noble?

You're being disingenuous since William H. Keith's pet nation was the Lyran Commonwealth.

Nearly every BattleTech author had a "pet" nation and, after the Gray Death Legion novels, they almost all had a "pet" mercenary unit too. In chronological order:

William H. Keith (AKA Ian Douglas) had the Legion and House Steiner. He just didn't have anything to write about during the FedCom era because

Ardath Mayhar established the Federated Suns as Space America and the Capellan Confederation as Fu Manchu. Stackpole ran with this because it was easy.

Michael A. Stackpole had the Kell Hounds and the Federated Suns / Commonwealth and the Clans. The Kell Hounds don't appear in every Stackpole novel, and even when they do appear they sometimes even lose! Patrick Kell dies to win wars while Phelan Kell wins individual battles but loses every war he's involved in.

Robert N. Charrette had the Wolf's Dragoons and did a lot to establish the nature of the Draconis Combine. Only half of his three novels were about the Dragoons (Wolves on the Border was 50/50).

James D. Long had the Black Thorns and may favor the ComGuard, but it's hard to tell because every one of his characters is an unsympathetic rear end in a top hat.

Blane Lee Pardoe had the Northwind Highlanders and was pro-Capellan. Also used `Mech engine explosions so egregiously I contend that "Stackpoling" is actually "Pardoeing"

Loren L. Coleman had Avanti's Angels (AKA: the Gray Death Legion but interesting) which he used once before writing about his one true love, the Capellan Confederation.

William H. Keith isn't a bad author and I don't dislike his work. What I dislike is that in a setting where he could've told any number of stories he exclusively wrote the Gray Death Legion and using five novels told basically the same story three times.

I can't name a single Great House that the Legion didn't outsmart or outfight. Nearly every problem they had (except for Cancer) could be (and nearly always was) solved with the words "Helm Memory Core." Every other author felt compelled to show that their Mercenaries were as-good-or-better-than the Legion which bogged down the setting. Keith had to invent the Defiance in order to even pretend Those Sneaky Davions had something that could threaten Lori Carlyle (spoilers: she beat it, and she's only a Carlyle by marriage). The Defiance didn't even get a TRO entry until TRO 3075 because it took them a decade to come up with a way to make it game legal.

And then a Brony wrote an Eridani Light Horse story, got it published, and using the power of insanity tried to sue for ownership of BattleTech as a whole and instigated a company-wide Death To All Mercenaries initiative. And then everyone got nuked by the Wobbies!

The GDL books aren't badly written. I just really don't like the trends they started (except for the getting nuked by the Wobbies).

Edit: And if anyone is wondering why I killed off the Gray Death Legion in my other LP first thing? This is pretty much why. I wanted to establish that even seemingly-invincible or plot-vital characters were vulnerable and can be killed; and that the LP wouldn't be about any single unit.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 22, 2015

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: And if anyone is wondering why I killed off the Gray Death Legion in my other LP first thing? This is pretty much why. I wanted to establish that even seemingly-invincible or plot-vital characters were vulnerable and can be killed; and that the LP wouldn't be about any single unit.

One day you will allow that thread to play a mission as time traveling Niko Snow and his band of Hired Goons as they abuse mission triggers,honor duels, and the ability to hit every weapon on a single limb with unerring accuracy at max range to defeat an enemy they shouldn't stand a chance against.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And when that day happens, Niko will still be able to die.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

And then a Brony wrote an Eridani Light Horse story, got it published, and using the power of insanity tried to sue for ownership of BattleTech as a whole and instigated a company-wide Death To All Mercenaries initiative. And then everyone got nuked by the Wobbies!

That's really the best part in all this. I lost my link to the thread he made on I forgot which forums to talk about that but I remember it was utterly hilarious.

I'm not clear on how the lawsuit happened but if it went through without the ELH dude folding I want to read what the judge wrote because its almost certainly completely hilarious.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

SIGSEGV posted:

That's really the best part in all this. I lost my link to the thread he made on I forgot which forums to talk about that but I remember it was utterly hilarious.

I'm not clear on how the lawsuit happened but if it went through without the ELH dude folding I want to read what the judge wrote because its almost certainly completely hilarious.

I remember that thread. He comes off as a little off-base but not entirely out there. It's only when you read further into it that the true :wtc: becomes apparent.

As I recall the case was thrown out due to lack of merit, but incompetence abounded on every side.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I actually meant my question seriously, before, though I see now that it just reads as internet arguing. Oops. I definitely see your point, PTN.

Not sure I ever got the Defiance thing, though. That was from Operation Excalibur, right? One of the books I never re-read. All I remember is that the idiot who takes the Defiance out ejects indoors.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

propatriamori posted:

I actually meant my question seriously, before, though I see now that it just reads as internet arguing. Oops. I definitely see your point, PTN.

I was worried I might be coming across as too harsh if you weren't being sarcastic, so please accept my apology as well. I just tend to assume a question like that is rhetorical because most of my real-life friends are jerks. :v:

To answer it seriously: I think Mr. Keith could've done a lot with the politics. He was just way too focused on the Legion and they were better than everyone else by default.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Any more details on the ELH fiasco? :allears:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Eridani_Light_Horse_lawsuit

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Also this: http://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/157935/Main/155739

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Some proto-brony failed to get a contract for his lovely short story in 1996 then in 2002 some intern found said story in a forgotten file and slapped it up on the Battletech website with an incorrect copyright notice and no credit given. Brony spends 6 years bugging Topps' legal department about this, the story long since taken down. Topps decides to sell WizKids and thus Battletech. Brony sues for absurd damages and chooses to represent himself, hilarity ensues.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yup, that's one super objective article that sure presents the facts as they are, and not as some crazed pseudo-official fanfiction writer and his equally unbalanced coterie sees them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You'll probably like this one more.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I had forgotten that the wiki article was that dumb.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Battletech makes for the best lawsuits.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

My favourite battletech story is that allegedly Loren Coleman CEO of Cataylst and mediocre author, embezzled something in the region of $800k to build himself a new kitchen by claiming the builders employed to do it were "freelance battletech authors" and under-reporting sales. He was then made to pay the money back when the company caught him in the act.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
One man's embezzler is another man's executive I guess.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Ferrosol posted:

My favourite battletech story is that allegedly Loren Coleman CEO of Cataylst and mediocre author, embezzled something in the region of $800k to build himself a new kitchen by claiming the builders employed to do it were "freelance battletech authors" and under-reporting sales. He was then made to pay the money back when the company caught him in the act.

800k for a KITCHEN what????

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

FailAtMagic posted:

800k for a KITCHEN what????

Sorry it was a full house refurbishment including a new kitchen and no official amount was ever confirmed for how much he embezzled as the only official record was a bland announcement that he'd "accidentally" allowed his personal funds and the businesses funds to intermingle. The 800k wasn't just spent on a new kitchen that was just the single biggest item on the bill allegedly according to internet rumormongering.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
As long as he spent some of that on an SRM-2 for added close-in punch, all remains right with the world.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Which would explain why his pantry has CASE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
He also has endo cupboards so he can fit heavier potatoes (though less individual tubers).

• Locked thread