Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yes Intel has given us nothing :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

go3 posted:

yes Intel has given us nothing :rolleyes:

Not nothing but it has allowed them to go much longer between releasing meaningful upgrades for desktop users. I have an i7-2600k and there will be no real reason to upgrade until Skylake which is going to be like Q1 2016, five years after the 2600k was released.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Luckily for us, software requirements continue to bloat (business wise) so that's where all the innovation comes from competition or not. I don't know what the % is, but I'm guessing desktop grade cpu's are dominated by the business market and we're along for the ride.

Now discrete GPU's on the other hand is a far more delicate thing imo. While graphics technology is definitely cutting edge and on the rise (mobile), the kind we're interested in seems a bit more fragile, and competition driven development is more realized.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MaxxBot posted:

Not nothing but it has allowed them to go much longer between releasing meaningful upgrades for desktop users. I have an i7-2600k and there will be no real reason to upgrade until Skylake which is going to be like Q1 2016, five years after the 2600k was released.

Ehhh, everyone is having problems with getting big chips on smaller processes. Intel has been making advances where it really matters for most of the market: heat and power efficiency.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
How much are people expecting out of Skylake in the desktop space anyway?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hace posted:

How much are people expecting out of Skylake in the desktop space anyway?

Meh. And meh until they hit the 8nm node. Because that's when things get interesting, when we see what material Intel transitions to, post-silicon.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
If desktop Skylake is Q1 2016 that's a really awkward time to release considering 2016 is when AMD is dropping K12 and Zen, both of which will have HMB2 while Skylake, AFAIK does not and I'm not sure how soon Intel would be willing to just drop another iteration of PIII Core with HBM to compete with that. If Zen uarch is competitive with Core and comes with a gigantic 4-8GB L3 cache that's a lot of market capture.

Err, this post really should be in the AMD thread :v:

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
If you are primarily playing games, Skylake probably won't be worth upgrading to from Sandy Bridge. At this rate I'll probably keep my 2500k until electromigration kills it or the caps on my mobo explode

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Meh. And meh until they hit the 8nm node. Because that's when things get interesting, when we see what material Intel transitions to, post-silicon.

Probably SiGe or InGaAs

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

If desktop Skylake is Q1 2016 that's a really awkward time to release considering 2016 is when AMD is dropping K12 and Zen, both of which will have HMB2 while Skylake, AFAIK does not and I'm not sure how soon Intel would be willing to just drop another iteration of PIII Core with HBM to compete with that. If Zen uarch is competitive with Core and comes with a gigantic 4-8GB L3 cache that's a lot of market capture.

Err, this post really should be in the AMD thread :v:

I've been saying for a while that I think that AMD has been playing the long game towards getting into the notebook/SOC market.

A competitive microarchitecture, graphics that blows Intel out of the water, but have historically been bandwidth-starved by DDR3, HBM forming a combined L3 cache + graphics + possibly system memory, + HSA? It's almost like AMD planned this all along, and the only things left to do are to prove out Zen, and then bring all this tech together in a single chip.

An APU is still going to be a sub-optimal product for a desktop gamer, but a notebook gamer? Those will actually have some serious brunt under the hood, if it all pans out. And any system that sells with AMD graphics is one that shuts out an NVidia sale.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
AMD certainly are playing the 'long game' when it comes to releasing a driver that isn't from 2014.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If I'm understanding correctly eventually AMD will have a chip that's just as power efficient but with better graphics than Intel?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wait, which thread am I in?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

calusari posted:

If you are primarily playing games, Skylake probably won't be worth upgrading to from Sandy Bridge. At this rate I'll probably keep my 2500k until electromigration kills it or the caps on my mobo explode

The only thing I'm really waiting for is Pascal and NVLink. Other than that, I'm also happy with my 2500K @ 4.4Ghz for ~3 years now.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

sauer kraut posted:

AMD certainly are playing the 'long game' when it comes to releasing a driver that isn't from 2014.

They just released drivers this past week?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Anyone got some GTX 960 experiences?
Most of the benchmarks test at retarded settings. Can it get 40-60 fps out of Bioshock/TombRaider/Hitman at 1080p while looking good enough?
How does MFAA come in, if it even works at all? Can you enable PhysX and that Nvidia hair fluff without the fabric of space-time collapsing around you?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tab8715 posted:

If I'm understanding correctly eventually AMD will have a chip that's just as power efficient but with better graphics than Intel?

With regards to power efficiency: In theory, maybe. In practicality, probably not. AMD is always going to be a few steps behind Intel, because Intel reserves their bleeding edge process tech for themselves, so they get to reap the benefits of being on Cannondale's 10nm process when Zen hits on 16nm.

With regards to graphics: AMD's graphics have always been equal to or better than the equivalent Intel offering. The only part where things are a little murky, are where Intel embedded up to 128 megabytes of EDRAM onto chips with Iris Pro graphics. As I mentioned before, APU graphics cores are bandwidth starved as hell because DDR3 can't feed those Radeon cores fast enough. But putting EDRAM onto chips to improve graphics performance is very cost-inefficient. Compared to GDDR5, compared to DD4, compared to DD3, probably compared to HBM, too, because at a minimum, we're looking at 1 or 2 gigabytes of HBM, per stack, on the APU. This should allow those hungry GCN cores perform more like their desktop versions... hopefully without the heat.

Bear in mind, that this is entirely my own speculation. There is zero news pointing in this direction. It just feels like that moment in a caper movie just before everything comes together perfectly timed. The only solid proof is an AMD patent that is sufficiently vague as to allow AMD to use it either for CPUs or GPUs, which I feel points in this direction and have flogged in this thread as well as the AMD thread on many occasions now.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 24, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

sauer kraut posted:

Most of the benchmarks test at retarded settings. Can it get 40-60 fps out of Bioshock/TombRaider/Hitman at 1080p while looking good enough?
How does MFAA come in, if it even works at all? Can you enable PhysX and that Nvidia hair fluff without the fabric of space-time collapsing around you?

You shouldn't see much of a hit from PhysX on a 960, but I'd really bump up to the 970 if at all possible, the extra memory, bandwidth and power are well worth it at 1080p.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

sauer kraut posted:

I'm not saying this from experience but frankly I think you'd be way, way happier with a used 290 for the same price.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's kind of disappointing we won't being seeing any big cpu jumps until 2017 but holy crap Sandy Bridge was a great chip.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only thing I'm really waiting for is Pascal and NVLink. Other than that, I'm also happy with my 2500K @ 4.4Ghz for ~3 years now.

NVLink being a thing is er, bad? That's either the death of AMD or a bunch of dumb proprietary interfaces flying around because like hell AMD will use NVLink. Nvidia is hoping NVLink is good because that's them forcing AMD out of the market, like Gsync.

I'll never get why AMD dropped support for 4000 or older cards. "We've optimized the best we can" is okay and all, but how about updating them so they work in new Windows environments? It really shouldn't be a pain in the rear end to get an X850XT or X1900XTX to work in a Win 8 environment when old Geforce bullshit works, what the hell AMD.

Likely dumb question, but what are the baseline requirements for Vulkan to work, any idea? It doesn't seem GCN or DX11/12 bound so...would it work with a ye olde GTX280 or HD4870? A Geforce FX5950?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Likely dumb question, but what are the baseline requirements for Vulkan to work, any idea? It doesn't seem GCN or DX11/12 bound so...would it work with a ye olde GTX280 or HD4870? A Geforce FX5950?

I don't think AMD or NV have said anything concrete about Vulkan support, but it's pretty safe to assume that cards being updated to DX12 will also get the Vulkan treatment. They seem to be targeting a similar baseline although it's hard to be sure since neither spec is public yet.

That means GTX400+, HD7000+/GCN APU and Haswell Iris and Iris Pro chips are a sure thing.

HD5000/6000 has the same feature level as HD7000+, but AMD aren't supporting DX12 on VLIW chips so Vulkan probably isn't happening either.

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 24, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Nvidia Explains Why Their G-Sync Display Tech Is Superior To AMD's FreeSync

Edit: Nobody try and kill me for the title, its copied verbatim from the article.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

BurritoJustice posted:

Edit: Nobody try and kill me for the title, its copied verbatim from the article.
What a haughty bastard that engineer is, those first two questions and answers regarding price are infuriating to read.

To summarize the article: nothing that hasn't been discussed in here already. The ghosting issues, and what happens to the framerate/refresh below the minimum FPS. As suspected, the G-Sync module self-panel-refreshes and handles frame pacing in some situations. nVidia called this part of the "secret sauce." The G-Sync module is tuned to each panel's voltage/electrical properties, whereas AMD would have to do this in software for each monitor once they can get frame pacing under control.

AMD could solve this. It's, um, up to their driver team though.

He also dropped a hint that nVidia may copy AMD's option to tear or vsync at max panel refresh rate.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 24, 2015

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

NVLink being a thing is er, bad? That's either the death of AMD or a bunch of dumb proprietary interfaces flying around because like hell AMD will use NVLink. Nvidia is hoping NVLink is good because that's them forcing AMD out of the market, like Gsync.

Vulkan is compatible with any GPU that supports OpenGL ES 3.1 or higher. I think OpenGL 4.3 is a requirement too, but I'm not too sure.

NVLink will have a hard time taking off if NVIDIA doesn't Intel on the idea first. Unless they're literally planning to go over Intel's head with this interface. Also, is there any reason other than licensing that AMD couldn't jump onboard the NVLink train?

BurritoJustice posted:

So we have another person who has confirmed the ghosting thing. Why is no one talking about this? Is it just not noticeable to most people?

Also, just skip to the second page.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think the 'fear' being bandied about regarding NVLink is unfounded. There's no way it's not going to be a glorified 'bolt-on' technology that will probably add $50-75 more to the cost of a motherboard that only has PCIe 3.0/4.0 on it, which means nVidia's going to be forced to make the first-gen Pascal GPUs for both NVLink *and* PCIe, so it'll be a non-issue at first.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 24, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GrizzlyCow posted:

Vulkan is compatible with any GPU that supports OpenGL ES 3.1 or higher. I think OpenGL 4.3 is a requirement too, but I'm not too sure.

NVLink will have a hard time taking off if NVIDIA doesn't Intel on the idea first. Unless they're literally planning to go over Intel's head with this interface. Also, is there any reason other than licensing that AMD couldn't jump onboard the NVLink train?

So we have another person who has confirmed the ghosting thing. Why is no one talking about this? Is it just not noticeable to most people?

Also, just skip to the second page.

You recognize it, I recognize it, this thread recognizes it, tech journalism sites like PCPer and Tech Report recognize it. What more do you want?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You recognize it, I recognize it, this thread recognizes it, tech journalism sites like PCPer and Tech Report recognize it. What more do you want?

As far as tech journalist sites goes, I thought only PCPer and, now, the Forbes article talked about it. I forgot that AMD did a short little paragraph admitting it existed (don't read the comments). Pretty much everyone else I read glossed over it, so I was wondering how noticeable it really is. I'm just expecting the people who didn't mention it to donate a couple thousand of dollars to me.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

I must be dumb, I'm looking at AMD card specs and I'm not finding the OpenGL ES support, and sometimes even OpenGL. The only thing I've found hints that the 5000 series would be the bottom tier for AMD.

And Nvidia wouldn't stop and take a moment to realize they could essentially kill a competitor with a new standard? Refuse the license, Nvidia has a commanding lead in market share, make the license costly so that AMD can't be price competitive, etc.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think the 'fear' being bandied about regarding NVLink is unfounded. There's no way it's not going to be a glorified 'bolt-on' technology that will probably add $50-75 more to the cost of a motherboard that only has PCIe 3.0/4.0 on it, which means nVidia's going to be forced to make the first-gen Pascal GPUs for both NVLink *and* PCIe, so it'll be a non-issue at first.

So Nvidia then forever holds the GPU crown due to proprietary interface and AMD weeps for their silicon? NVLink promises to make PCIe another AGP.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

I must be dumb, I'm looking at AMD card specs and I'm not finding the OpenGL ES support, and sometimes even OpenGL. The only thing I've found hints that the 5000 series would be the bottom tier for AMD.

And Nvidia wouldn't stop and take a moment to realize they could essentially kill a competitor with a new standard? Refuse the license, Nvidia has a commanding lead in market share, make the license costly so that AMD can't be price competitive, etc.

Hmm. Well, according to PC World, OpenGL 4.3 corresponds with OpenGL ES 3.1, so at least theoretically, everything from AMD's HD 5000 series to now should support Vulkan. Here's OpenGL ES's page if you curious about which products are compliant. I know AMD's GCN GPUs support D3D12, so I'd expect they support Vulkan, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FaustianQ posted:

So Nvidia then forever holds the GPU crown due to proprietary interface and AMD weeps for their silicon? NVLink promises to make PCIe another AGP.

No?

PCIe will be around for a LONG time. NVLink is pretty clearly being aimed at upper-level enthusiasts and GPGPU applications. Boards *with* NVLink will undoubtedly also include PCIe slots as well, like early PCIe motherboards still had PCI slots.

AMD will lose a bit of marketshare at the very apex of the pyramid, where they get the vast *minority* of their profits. OEMs like Alienware will not like having to carry NVLink cards as well as PCIe cards, because it will be very difficult to gauge how many people will pony up the extra cash for an NVLink motherboard. That $50-75 'upcharge' I theorized an NVLink-capable motherboard might cost over a PCIe-only board was what you might expect to pay for a motherboard for a *personal* build. The slightest increase in cost to OEMs greatly enhance the cost to the consumer, because not only does the OEM reserve the right to charge a premium for a premium product, but they then have to maintain a *parts chain* to support those people willing to pay extra.

This also would make AMD the undisputed king of the middle-grade enthusiast market, as even if NVLink expands down into that space, every build using NVLink cards is not only going to cost more for the motherboard, but likely for the actual GPU modules themselves, since I'd imagine *demand* for cards with the interconnect will be produced less than those *with* it. We also don't know if AIBs are even going to get to *make* the NVLink modules yet. I haven't even seen a finalized socket picture for it, just something that kind of resembles a far more complex and fragile-looking OBD-II connector.

NVLink doesn't 'promise' to do anything - at this point it's just an upcoming proprietary graphics card connection that they have to pray won't cost a ton to add to motherboards.

AMD's still going to be an attractive option when people ask themselves "do I spend $50-75 more on aboard with NVLink and lock myself into nVidia's cards for the foreseeable future, betting on the unsure future of a proprietary connector, or do I spend $50-75 *less*, get a board with PCIe 4.0, thereby retaining my ability to use GPUs from *both* vendors for the foreseeable future, and either pocket the saving for food/miscellany or use it to invest in a better CPU/more RAM/higher-tier GPU?"

tl:dr: The sky isn't falling. Chill the gently caress out.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 24, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Maybe I am being hyperbolic, but when Nvidia controls almost 80% of GPU market share and it's only looking to get better for them, at what point does the decision to choose become rhetorical? You're making AMD an attractive midtier enthusiast option by Nvidia essentially loving themselves with NVLink somehow, when really most people are going to choose Nvidia to begin with so if you're already buying a high end Nvidia card, why not buy a board with NVLink and "futureproof".

Maybe the sky isn't falling, or won't fall, but I'm not seeing how Nvidia won't try to use NVLink to seriously hurt AMD until Intel sets a new board standard. They've got AMD trapped in a corner, time to bring the hammer down and finish the job.

I've also toxxed on AMD being a gigantic gently caress up for 2016 so maybe I have ulterior motives.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NVLink is also almost exclusively aimed at those who are interested in SLI and insanely-scaled SLI, which is an even smaller subset of enthusiasts.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FaustianQ posted:

Maybe I am being hyperbolic, but when Nvidia controls almost 80% of GPU market share and it's only looking to get better for them, at what point does the decision to choose become rhetorical? You're making AMD an attractive midtier enthusiast option by Nvidia essentially loving themselves with NVLink somehow, when really most people are going to choose Nvidia to begin with so if you're already buying a high end Nvidia card, why not buy a board with NVLink and "futureproof".

Maybe the sky isn't falling, or won't fall, but I'm not seeing how Nvidia won't try to use NVLink to seriously hurt AMD until Intel sets a new board standard. They've got AMD trapped in a corner, time to bring the hammer down and finish the job.

I've also toxxed on AMD being a gigantic gently caress up for 2016 so maybe I have ulterior motives.

They don't have 80% of the GPU market share according to the Steam hardware survey from February, at least: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ Their 52% is pretty high compared to AMD's 29% and Intel's 19% but it's not as crazy as you're making it out to be. Ignoring Intel entirely, Nvidia has 52/81 = 64% of the combined total of AMD and Nvidia GPUs. Whether or not the steam hardware survey is a good synopsis of what's selling right now is open for debate but with the majority of gamers buying GPUs every few years I'm not sure that it's that important.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

better industry figures

Steam Survey isn't really the best indicator, and 76% is not far off the quoted 80%.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BurritoJustice posted:

better industry figures

Steam Survey isn't really the best indicator, and 76% is not far off the quoted 80%.

Yea, steam survey doesn't capture things like our fleet of 120,000+ office shitbox machines that nonetheless have essentially 2d only Quadro NVS300s in them. Why bother with those instead of intel CPU graphics? :iiam:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, steam survey doesn't capture things like our fleet of 120,000+ office shitbox machines that nonetheless have essentially 2d only Quadro NVS300s in them. Why bother with those instead of intel CPU graphics? :iiam:

Before the core-i series intel's IGP solutions were not great

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e: im a dumbass who cant read charts

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hace posted:

Before the core-i series intel's IGP solutions were not great

Doesn't matter since outlook is the most stressful things these run, and we replace all desktops every 3 years- They're all Ivy Bridge machines at this point. It's still :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I still have something like an HD2400 sitting in a box from when it took us a while to convince the powers that be to just buy a displayport cable instead of the ~$130 we were spending on these cards whenever anyone wanted dual screens. This was at the time I got a refurb 5870 for not much more. Boggles the mind.