Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Clever Spambot posted:

I'm legitimately confused about why they are so angry.

Because Obsidian CHANGED things! And CHANGE is BAD!

...That's about the gist of it, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Clever Spambot posted:

To put it into context 13 years ago I think the overall current of the Codex was that the IE games were killing CRPGs because they were not as grognardly as Fallout, so I think it just attracts naturally angry people and anyone who dislikes change.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Clever Spambot posted:

Well any change is bad. No matter how small the change is someone somewhere thinks that was where the 'heart' of the game is and is mad about that. Also ropekid has been pretty open about saying 'Look sometimes people want stupid poo poo. I'd like to have less stupid poo poo in my game' and they take that as him personally attacking them.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Clever Spambot posted:

Because Josh Sawyer didn't listen to them when they suggested he design the game just for them and their weird views on what 'fun' is. They also got upset at the suggestion that their idea of fun is different to everyone elses.

There's some hardcore spergin' going on in that thread. :gonk:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Remember when they hated Morrowind on release because they thought it was a dumbed down version of Daggerfall, and nowadays it usually makes the top 10 list on their annual Best RPGs voting?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Clever Spambot posted:

They want to experience the IE games again for the first time and can't. They've built up this nostalgic, unrealistic image of what the IE games were and anything that deviates from it is an affront.

Also they're nerds who, by dint of being nerds, think they know better than everyone else.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tarezax posted:

Because Obsidian CHANGED things! And CHANGE is BAD!

...That's about the gist of it, I think.

Beamdog is going to be putting out an adventure that takes place between Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, so it's going to have all the same grognard mechanics, but coupled with Beamdog's amazing writing skills.

This for like, 30 hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToJXRnxYuyY

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SunAndSpring posted:

Remember when they hated Morrowind on release because they thought it was a dumbed down version of Daggerfall, and nowadays it usually makes the top 10 list on their annual Best RPGs voting?

At least they saw the light.

Ladolcevita
Dec 1, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sortof, yeah. Think General Sherman: The Paladin.

Thank You. I am so building a Death Godlike Bleak Walker Paladin named Tecumseh.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Insurrectionist posted:

loving SJWs and their THAC0-hatred. Tacos are delicious!

What are SJWs? I feel out of the loop on this. I want to read that RPG Codex thread but i'm at work. Are people legitimately mad that we are getting an IE inspired game without IE inspired tedium?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Josh Sawyer: WHO ALLOWED THIS MADMAN TO RUN AMOK?

We need to send him straight to BONERTOWN, where he can never hurt another INNOCENT CODEXIAN

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

chaosapiant posted:

What are SJWs? I feel out of the loop on this. I want to read that RPG Codex thread but i'm at work. Are people legitimately mad that we are getting an IE inspired game without IE inspired tedium?

Social Justice Warriors aka FEMINAZIS who RUIN EVERYTHING SHUT UP MOM I'M PLAYING A GAME

People got mad at rope kid because he said he doesn't hate trans people. Think about that.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

zedprime posted:

To put it into context 13 years ago I think the overall current of the Codex was that the IE games were killing CRPGs because they were not as grognardly as Fallout, so I think it just attracts naturally angry people and anyone who dislikes change.
Also let's not forget that RPGs not named Final Fantasy were considered pretty much a dying genre at that time. Here comes Baldur's Gate/Fallout 2 to actually inject some life back into it and all people could do is bitch about how Real Time With Pause made it a stupid baby RTS game.

Early Baldur's Gate forums were really my intro to forums in general. Even then I thought half of the people on there were nuts.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

You're posting on the Something Awful forums in 2015 and you've not heard the term SJW before? Congratulations I guess, on a life well led

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You're posting on the Something Awful forums in 2015 and you've not heard the term SJW before? Congratulations I guess, on a life well led

Sir, I regret to inform you...

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I don't think anyone got mad at obsidian for those new vegas roleplaying perks that made playing a cowboy super viable throughout the whole game.

Edit: I've got chrome set up so it converts "SJW" into "skeleton" :)

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Zilkin posted:

Has there been any mention of how much party banter there is in this game?

So far it doesn't happen much while you're just walking around, but you can chat them up directly and they chime in pretty frequently when you're talking to NPCs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Clever Spambot posted:

Generally speaking, human beings have a hard time articulating what it is that they specifically like or dislike about something, and so they tend to latch on to "obvious" or tangential features to express their pleasure/displeasure. Like, sit that guy down in a room and ask him to explain, in a concrete way, why the Engagement system is bad, and you're going to get nothing but half-hearted evasions. These sorts of beliefs about game design are rooted in emotional connections, not formal logic.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Sir, I regret to inform you...

Uh, relatively speaking of course. I can't imagine how good it would be to live without knowing what Gamergate is or why fee-males are destroying the internet

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Vermain posted:

Generally speaking, human beings have a hard time articulating what it is that they specifically like or dislike about something, and so they tend to latch on to "obvious" or tangential features to express their pleasure/displeasure. Like, sit that guy down in a room and ask him to explain, in a concrete way, why the Engagement system is bad, and you're going to get nothing but half-hearted evasions. These sorts of beliefs about game design are rooted in emotional connections, not formal logic.

Yeah but we're talking about rpgcodex forum dwellers here.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Since people have been discussing what you need to hit dialogue checks in NWN 2, what do you guys think will be the "optimal protagonist build" here when it comes to hitting as many options as possible? Since Disposition is divorced from the attributes, I'm of the mind that it's probably better to just focus on the attributes that are likely to be useful for your character class and at least one of Int, Per, Res, but skill levels might become an issue.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pillars of Eternity needs a Confirmed Bachelor talent, just so some players can make the same mistake as they did in New Vegas.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The IE games are some of my favorite RPGs of all time but i really like the modernization this game is going for and have tempered expectations because i will be playing this game as a not 13 year old does that mean im an SJW plebian? :ohdear:

Random question but will the backer beta just turn into the full game once its out or is there a separate code?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

itt people havent paid attention to game design since the late eighties

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bilharzia posted:

YT: "the graphics are, err, Ice-o-teric, which means the backgrounds are, um, frozen."

I need to know who said this and if their stream is still viewable.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Clever Spambot posted:

Social Justice, and their Warriors, apparently.

This whole counter-push to internet social justice people has gotten really weird. Terms that get used by weird tumblr people are now used as pejoratives when talking about opinions about RPGs.

And people say academia has no impact on the real world!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Similar complaints include: 4E D&D classes 'all feeling the same', MMOs being 'dumbed down' each expansion. It's about new games changing from the idealized construct of the past these people cling to, as opposed to the flawed reality.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I'm a great fan of the Codex theory that everything in PoE is bad because Josh Sawyer really wanted to make a turn based game instead. And nobody should ever let him make another game again unless its turn based because he's ruining everything.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I installed IWD2 last weekend to scratch the itch PoE made, and I'm spending a LOT of time clicking on loot piles and finding room for stacks of magical ammo that sells for money.

Thank you for the stash and AoE loot.

I know one person doesn't mean much, but I have beaten and greatly enjoyed New Vegas, NWN2, South Park, IWD2, KOTOR2, Dungeon Siege 3 (couch co-op with friends), pledged as soon as I heard about PoE and look forward to whatever you work on next!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tzarnal posted:

I'm a great fan of the Codex theory that everything in PoE is bad because Josh Sawyer really wanted to make a turn based game instead. And nobody should ever let him make another game again unless its turn based because he's ruining everything.

The reasonable part of that argument - once you strip away the weird cult of disgust over one person and the self-defeating posturing about what a real CRPG looks like - is some of the mechanics in PoE seem like mechanics that make sense in a turn-based environment, but they've been put into a real time game. But the IE games have always walked that line for better or for worse, and I'm willing to give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 24, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

srb posted:

Since people have been discussing what you need to hit dialogue checks in NWN 2, what do you guys think will be the "optimal protagonist build" here when it comes to hitting as many options as possible? Since Disposition is divorced from the attributes, I'm of the mind that it's probably better to just focus on the attributes that are likely to be useful for your character class and at least one of Int, Per, Res, but skill levels might become an issue.
If it helps to short circuit your powergaming tendency I think you need near max stats to see 100% of the options in dialog and text adventures.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

RPG Codex seems to follow the philosophy that the more dense, unbalanced and impenetrable a system is then the better it is because it keeps out undesirables.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

quote:

Yeah, he made a dumb decision. And nothing better than to promise making an even dumber decision for the next game! For Fallout 5 he promises to fuse all ammo types, 'cause Magnums are awesome, but those drat magnum bullets are just too drat rare... And for Fallout 6 he'll just give unlimited ammo to everything, you know how sad people are when they can't pew-pew their favorite gun. Only grognards care for weighting pros and cons, kool kids are 100% pros.
Josh Sawyer is ruining games because of this totally made up example of a hypothetical thing he'll do!

I'm not even sure what they're pissed about here. Something about Josh collapsing some of the gun skills in NV down so you don't have to worry about Big Weapons I think.

I have no idea how much I'd personally agree with ropekid on what he finds fun but I've never seen him not explain what's he's going for and it's always pretty reasonable. It's so weird to see people try to turn him into some kind of 'casual' gamer that just wants to turn everything into some kind of super easy JRPG or something.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pwnstar posted:

Someone posted this unironically on the official forums, I'm dying.

Context. Please. I'm guessing that to them fun means feeling smug because other people picked trap choices but not me.

But seriously I'm pretty sure that people who derive self-worth from being able to avoid trap choices and all that have a natural antipathy to social justice and the like for pretty obvious reasons.

Dreylad posted:

The reasonable part of that argument - once you strip away the weird cult of disgust over one person and the self-defeating posturing about what a real CRPG looks like - is some of the mechanics in PoE seem like mechanics that make sense in a turn-based environment, but they've been put into a real time game. But the IE games have always walked that line for better or for worse, and I'm willing to give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt.

The funniest thing about that being that IE games are literally a rtwp kludge of a tabletop system.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 24, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

these were probably not the same individuals and I do not believe joining a forum means signing a blood pact to take collective responsibility for and toe the forum line on all the opinions that have ever been spouted by said forum

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dreylad posted:

Rtwp has always been a bastard system trying to make turn based games fit into the modern fancy graphics computer game era. Sawyer just adjusts to that intelligently.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pwnstar posted:

RPG Codex seems to follow the philosophy that the more dense, unbalanced and impenetrable a system is then the better it is because it keeps out undesirables.

I couldn't remember all the counters for status effects in baldur's gate 2 so I googled it, found a post where someone asked on the gamefaq's forums and people were yelling at him to learn the system like they did instead of asking questions.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You guys pay more attention to vocal internet minorities than what they're worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pwnstar posted:

Is Divinity:Original Sin more dense, unbalanced and impenetrable than PoE?

If so I'm 100% down with what PoE is selling. Especially if it has better writing too. Original Sin is fun, but I'm really loving tired of having 6,000 items to sort through, the character system irritates the poo poo out of me pretty often and I just don't give a poo poo about anyone or anything beyond dropping a slime bucket on them and setting it on fire and haste-backstabbing it.

:ese::supaburn:

• Locked thread