Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 11 - Youtube

Man the game has not been pulling it's punches combat wise lately. I hesitate to call it hard because it's not really all that difficult to do per se but it's tuned so that monsters hit like trucks. As well micromanaging all your characters while simultaneously trying to make and drink healing potions, cast spells, and still dodge and juke the enemies without putting yourself in a corner is far from easy.

Game is still so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatgetsdirty
Apr 18, 2008
Snake
Spider
Slime
Turtle

Turtle starts with T.

Really enjoying this LP, I'd never have the patience to play this game myself.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

FWIW, the term Alpha Strike originated from carrier operations in the Vietnam war. It refers to launching an entire flight deck of planes at a single target, which is basically the carrier equivalent of firing every weapon at once.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

meatgetsdirty posted:

Snake
Spider
Slime
Turtle

Turtle starts with T.

Really enjoying this LP, I'd never have the patience to play this game myself.

Turtle is also the only monster there that doesn't cause some form of status effect (disease/poison). Whatever logic works out!

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Those power gems truly are outrageous. Truly truly truly outrageous.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
also even if you don't care you lost the shuriken in the laboratory somewhere.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I bought starbound cuz I'm facebook friends with one of the people who worked on it, so in my mind my money went to toys for their terrible animals. and the added bonus of a game

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
OH BOY our first "If you use this item for the puzzle then you can't get it back~!"

They really really tried hard to make sure they didn't do that and it looks like through bad luck or whatnot they forgot this one.

I find this notable because if you can throw a power gem (or any of the orbs) like they're rocks, this is a "wait you threw the flaming orb as a puzzle solution lol idiot game over"

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012
I thought it was because the turtle was the only one that drops food. Which they even just reminded you of by making you fight a spider slime and turtle from the menagerie. No help on the snake though, I guess. Snakes are nature's sausage, so maybe they will drop food.

Image21
Feb 15, 2012
I think agent would have a much easier time if he just used the force cube spell. It's so useful. Especially if you need a breather. It saved my rear end so many times when I got swarmed.

It's becoming a crutch to me I think.

Image21 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 25, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Forer posted:

OH BOY our first "If you use this item for the puzzle then you can't get it back~!"

They really really tried hard to make sure they didn't do that and it looks like through bad luck or whatnot they forgot this one.

I find this notable because if you can throw a power gem (or any of the orbs) like they're rocks, this is a "wait you threw the flaming orb as a puzzle solution lol idiot game over"

And it could have been easily avoided by moving the barrier one square closer (or the button one square farther). What an odd choice.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Louispul5 posted:

I thought it was because the turtle was the only one that drops food. Which they even just reminded you of by making you fight a spider slime and turtle from the menagerie. No help on the snake though, I guess. Snakes are nature's sausage, so maybe they will drop food.

I thought it was because turtles walk, while the others don't. Snakes slither, spiders hang from threads and slimes... slime.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I thought it was turtle because Snake Slime and Spider

Then I realized that would loving suck to translate out for other languages so they wouldn't do something like that.

:shrug:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I wonder if Agent is ever going to notice that the flying lightning eyebats take 0 damage from lightning spells.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I could sperg out so hard about Dragonrealms, it's the one MUD I played to death. When I finally got sick of the game about 15 years ago, I sold my character for quite a bit of money since it was one of the highest level characters with some extreemly rare items. I have always regretted this.

A year or two ago my curiosity got the best of me, and I was wondering if the game was still around, if the character was still around, and if there was some chance I could get it back. It turns out the guy who bought my character still plays, and is one of those people who met their partner in-game, had one of those huge in-game weddings, and spend a lot of time in game together.

I don't really know how I am supposed to feel about that. I spent enough time and was young enough I still feel connected to the character, but it's definitely his identity now, not mine.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Slaan posted:

I thought it was because turtles walk, while the others don't. Snakes slither, spiders hang from threads and slimes... slime.

Slimes slurp and/or ooze. Don't ask me what Oozes do :iiam:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If Slimes ooze, then Oozes park on driveways.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Occasionally they dribble, once I even saw one segue.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Chuu posted:

I could sperg out so hard about Dragonrealms, it's the one MUD I played to death. When I finally got sick of the game about 15 years ago, I sold my character for quite a bit of money since it was one of the highest level characters with some extreemly rare items. I have always regretted this.

A year or two ago my curiosity got the best of me, and I was wondering if the game was still around, if the character was still around, and if there was some chance I could get it back. It turns out the guy who bought my character still plays, and is one of those people who met their partner in-game, had one of those huge in-game weddings, and spend a lot of time in game together.

I don't really know how I am supposed to feel about that. I spent enough time and was young enough I still feel connected to the character, but it's definitely his identity now, not mine.

People on the outside (except maybe people who play EVE Online) really wouldn't understand - high level characters inevitably sold for ludicrous amounts of money, because the sheer time investment required to level up a character was measured in years. There was no way to really speed the process up besides making it more efficient (training more skills simultaneously). The difference between a character in the top 1% and the top 0.1% in terms of sale value was the difference between a couple hundred dollars and a couple thousand.

There are a lot of fundamental issues with the way DR is run and operated that make a return to its glory days more or less impossible. Much like the original UO, it couldn't possibly be successful nowadays and probably the only reason the company even still exists is because the overhead of actually running the games has to be so tiny by modern standards. Despite all of that, back in its heyday DR was fun. If someone somehow was able to miraculously set up a server running the version of DR that existed ~16 years ago, I'd probably be playing it semi-regularly still.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Once I knew it was turtle, I assumed it was because it's the only one with a shell? But people have provided several other compelling guesses for why it would be the odd one out. Honestly though yeah that one seems kinda bull. The rest were all more or less reasonable to guess. My first guess would've been the slime as the odd one out though.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Neruz posted:

Occasionally they dribble, once I even saw one segue.

Segooe

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Is it just me, or does Agent seem like he's rather low on food now? The rat has some cheese in his inventory, but otherwise it seems a little sparse for everyone else. Is it a particularly a good idea to try and farm food to refill Smash's inventory? Is there even a good spot to try and grind food in the first place?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Edwhirl posted:

also even if you don't care you lost the shuriken in the laboratory somewhere.

Well, it isn't like it was something important. Like a rock or something

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ousire posted:

Is it just me, or does Agent seem like he's rather low on food now? The rat has some cheese in his inventory, but otherwise it seems a little sparse for everyone else. Is it a particularly a good idea to try and farm food to refill Smash's inventory? Is there even a good spot to try and grind food in the first place?

Yah we're getting real low. It's possible to go back to say twigroot forest and kill wargs for meat as they do respawn, but the good news is the next area we run into is going to be incredibly rich in food anyhow. So we'll be drowning in the stuff soon enough.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So if you can grind food from reasonably respawning mobs, wouldn't that mean there'd be no particular upper bound on our human vacuum's levels? Or is there a soft or hard level cap at some point?

I suppose the existence of respawning mobs prompts the same question for normal characters, but my guess is that their kill experience is relatively sad in comparison to their food experience.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I don't know how often they respawn, it's not instant, it's not every particularly quickly.

There was an area in the last grimrock where raptor enemies would spawn endlessly in a particular session, and it was fairly rapid, to where if you slept there they would always wake you up pretty quickly.

This game I've only ever seen enemies respawn when I come back to visit the area later, except the swamp where I'm pretty sure they respawned on me after I killed the herder boss.

It might be theoretically possible that you could have infinite food source but I think you might end up eating more food waiting for them to respawn then they would drop. Periodically revisiting the area to stock up on food seems a better idea, but it's not really an issue anyhow, the only reason i'm out is smash mouth horks it all down when I have extra.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im the kind of person who never turns off the light spell so I had big problems with that spike pit. I just bruteforced it.

Also monsters definitely dont spawn fast enough to keep your food high enough. I ran out on my fist run near the end after scouring everything at least 2x.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 25, 2015

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
My understanding of an Alpha Strike is taking out an opponent in one attack, leaving no opportunity for a counterattack. It's the equivalent of frontloading all of your damage so that you end up taking less rather than having more sustained DPS.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Agent was right; an Alpha Strike means you fire absolutely everything you have all at once, typically at a single target. Additionally you'll also sometimes hear people refer to 'Alpha capability' or something along those lines which basically means how much damage a thing can do immediately in a single 'action'

The idea behind an Alpha Strike is to hit them so hard and so fast that they die before they can do anything to stop you, of course if they survive the Alpha Strike or they have a buddy you didn't notice then you are typically now screwed. In RTS games units with strong Alpha capability are generally better than units with the same overall dps but lower Alpha because the high Alpha units will score more kills in the initial engagement which tips the scales in their favor.

The term did indeed originate in Battletech where it referred to going 'gently caress heat' and just firing everything you had. If you hit what you were aiming at odds are pretty good they were dead but you'd also overheat so if you missed or if he had a buddy you were then screwed.

Some people also deliberately built mechs for Alpha capability and basically played hide and seek; popping out to wipe someone off the map and then running away screaming until they cooled down.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 25, 2015

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Alpha also matters in games with healing/repairs. Deleting an enemy before their healers can come in can be better than a higher DPS that lets support come in.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also in games like World of Tanks guns with a higher shell damage but slower rate of fire are referred to as having higher alpha. Even if they have a lower damage per minute (tanks fire slowly, measuring in seconds is stupid) given the way combat actually works in the game they tend to be more practical.

In tanks you just peek out, fire, and hide until you reload. Tanks that reload quicker are all well and good but the slower reloading tanks aren't going to actually peek out and try and trade shots until they're reloaded anyway. Slower reloading tanks still trade shots one for one with faster reloading tanks, but they shoot bigger bullets.

The exception is when you're firing at tanks when you, or the targets, are completely out in the open. But in that case mistakes were made.

Basically what I'm saying is the KV-2 is king of tanks.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 25, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Neruz posted:

The term did indeed originate in Battletech

Zurai posted:

FWIW, the term Alpha Strike originated from carrier operations in the Vietnam war. It refers to launching an entire flight deck of planes at a single target, which is basically the carrier equivalent of firing every weapon at once.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
At least two BattleTech authors fought in Vietnam in some fashion. BattleTech also uses "Newbie" a lot which was a common term in the US Military at the time.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Vil posted:

So if you can grind food from reasonably respawning mobs, wouldn't that mean there'd be no particular upper bound on our human vacuum's levels? Or is there a soft or hard level cap at some point?

I suppose the existence of respawning mobs prompts the same question for normal characters, but my guess is that their kill experience is relatively sad in comparison to their food experience.

Leveling slows a bit starting at 11 (55k xp), but it doesn't really feel too bad until you hit 13 (100k xp), where you need 50k per level from 13 to 17. 17 (300k xp) represents another jump in xp required, 100k per level until 19. 19 (500k xp) is pretty much the cap though, as hitting 20 requires 500k experience, the same amount required to hit 19 in the first place.

Generally speaking a normal party member won't get above 17 and will likely end the game in the 13-15 range, while a farmer normally ends it around 18.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hah forgot about the Vietnam War thing, though the Internet says that the Vietnam War Alpha Strike actually only used about half a Carrier's available aircraft because it was just one full 'deck' worth rather than 'literally everything we have.'

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Neruz posted:

Hah forgot about the Vietnam War thing, though the Internet says that the Vietnam War Alpha Strike actually only used about half a Carrier's available aircraft because it was just one full 'deck' worth rather than 'literally everything we have.'

Launching every plane on the flight deck is launching everything they have. Yes, there are more planes in the hangar deck, but 1) they can't launch from the hangar deck, and 2) the planes in the hangar deck generally aren't ready to launch even if they could. If it helps, think of the planes on the hangar deck as ammo in a magazine. They have to be brought up to the flight deck, fueled, and armed before they can launch, just like rounds have to be chambered in a gun before they can be fired.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zurai posted:

Launching every plane on the flight deck is launching everything they have. Yes, there are more planes in the hangar deck, but 1) they can't launch from the hangar deck, and 2) the planes in the hangar deck generally aren't ready to launch even if they could. If it helps, think of the planes on the hangar deck as ammo in a magazine. They have to be brought up to the flight deck, fueled, and armed before they can launch, just like rounds have to be chambered in a gun before they can be fired.

Yeah, but a real Alpha Strike doesn't end until you have no more ammo. :colbert:

It's a similar concept and in real world warfare where we actually care about getting the people inside the planes back alive it's the closest you're going to get to a 'real' Alpha Strike but it just doesn't feel right to me to call something an Alpha Strike when you didn't actually fire everything.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

No way, alpha strike is just firing everything you have once, not firing every single bit of ammo you have.

The alpha of a machine gun is pathetic because it's a single bullet compared to the alpha of a howitzer, though i guess if your machine gun was like a burst fire the entire burst might count, but certainly not firing the entire magazine over 20 seconds.. Alpha in video game terms is firing everything you have at the same time, once.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Alpha Strike of a machine gun is definitely 'hold down the trigger until it stops' (either from no ammo or overheating) not 'a boolet' :v:

I mean yeah I guess we're just arguing semantics but I have always had Alpha Strikes explained to me as 'fire everything you have' not 'fire everything you have, once'

Neruz fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Neruz posted:

The Alpha Strike of a machine gun is definitely 'hold down the trigger until it stops' (either from no ammo or overheating) not 'a boolet' :v:

I mean yeah I guess we're just arguing semantics but I have always had Alpha Strikes explained to me as 'fire everything you have' not 'fire everything you have, once'

Well you're wrong. At least in most contexts, the difference between alpha and DPS (which is really what this Grimrock discussion is about) is the difference between damage front loaded into the first moment of attack vs. overall, and comparing when and how the trade off between higher alpha vs. higher DPS applies.

e: if we go to the 'real' definition the Alpha is explicitly a contrast to the more typical 'cyclic' pattern of sending out sorties a few at a time, recovering and launching to maintain constant cover.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 26, 2015

• Locked thread