Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

XenoCrab posted:

If that's what the manual says then the manual is wrong. You get a new spell level every 2nd character level, so you'll get to level 6 spells at character level 11.

Alright, that's a relief then.

How does Chanter/Cipher ability progression work? They don't have a table and don't seem to have any other explanation either, at least not one I found while glancing over the class descriptions.

E: The errata page cuts off at 'Table 1: Attributes' for me with no actual errata below, maybe revised tables are supposed to be there but some text got cut off?

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
After seeing that amazing Swanson portrait I'm leaning more towards a Human Monk. Although I really like Cipher, and Chanter.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

CottonWolf posted:

So, yeah, if there's no penalty to the actual carnage interrupt rolls, I bet they're still pretty good. Especially if you take interrupting blows too.

I tried my interrupt Barbarian build from v435 in v480 ... it was bad lol. Morningstar might be a bit different though.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

and a GOG copy, so I can freely give out the game to friends.
:colbert:

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Alright, that's a relief then.

How does Chanter/Cipher ability progression work? They don't have a table and don't seem to have any other explanation either, at least not one I found while glancing over the class descriptions.

Cipher works the same as any other class and gets a new spell level every odd level. (It isn't listed in the table, because the list was about per rest spells and cipher uses focus) The chanter gain a new invocation level on 1, 6, 10 and a phrase level one the level 1,5,9. They gain a new invocations every even level(exception is the first level) and new phrases every odd level.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

prometheus12345 posted:

Cipher works the same as any other class and gets a new spell level every odd level. (It isn't listed in the table, because the list was about per rest spells and cipher uses focus) The chanter gain a new invocation level on 1, 6, 10 and a phrase level one the level 1,5,9. They gain a new invocations every even level(exception is the first level) and new phrases every odd level.

Thanks for the clarification! Those seem like they should have their own tables or at least sections where they're explained but ho well. Unless I missed them somehow.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

fentan posted:

Anyway I don't want to go on about this, I just wanna be clear that I'm bummed out that a particular stat is not just sub optimal, but actually 100% useless in this case. Like if those 8 points added as little as 3% to my damage I'd be cool with it. Actually I suspect even for a fast attacking build, the interrupt benefit of perception just isn't that cool. The major benefit of perception seems to be in tanking.

It's only 100% useless if you insist on both roleplaying for stats and roleplaying for combat. You can't do both. Either you decide in advance how you want your character to play in combat, take your stats to support that and then see what kind of roleplaying you could get out of those stats or you decide what kind of person you want that character to be, decide what stats he should have to fit that person and then figure out how you'll have to behave in combat to make those stats work.
Making a system in which you can do both would require a complete separation of combat and non-combat stats, which PoE didn't go for.

If your Detective Cipher needs a lot of Perception because he's a detective (a perfectly valid choice - it makes sense) then you'll have to figure out how to behave in combat to make the Perception work (probably dual wield/2H and interrupt a lot with fast weapons). You can also always go for the caster Cipher - shoot gun to fill up Focus, cast spells until you're out of focus, shoot gun again. That build doesn't give a crap about what your stats are.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Question about Carnage: Does it adopt DR-piercing attributes from talents and/or weapons? It seems like low-damage splash attacks wouldn't do much against armored foes, and melee-type enemies are the most likely to be both clustered and armored. Armor pierce might be a way to get around that.

I'm envisioning a dual-stiletto wielding maniac with Vulnerable Attack stabbing four soldiers to death at once.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Fuzzy Orlans get a defense bonus every time their 'Will' gets targeted. How often does that happen in the beta?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I am planning on going with a godlike monk when this is released as that seems like it would be fun. My question is how important are equipment slots. I would be giving up the hand slots for unarmed (i assume there are no unarmed glove equips or similar) as well as helmets. Would this gimp my character for lack of resists and enchantments slots?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

I dont know posted:

I am planning on going with a godlike monk when this is released as that seems like it would be fun. My question is how important are equipment slots. I would be giving up the hand slots for unarmed (i assume there are no unarmed glove equips or similar) as well as helmets. Would this gimp my character for lack of resists and enchantments slots?

Who cares your head will be on fire

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Scorchy posted:

Who cares your head will be on fire

Of course you would say that. :haw:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I wonder if godlike would still be in the game if the fanbase didn't think they looked cool. They just seem to be a little too weird to fit in naturally with the rest of the setting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mozi posted:

I wonder if godlike would still be in the game if the fanbase didn't think they looked cool. They just seem to be a little too weird to fit in naturally with the rest of the setting.

You mean the setting where a God was killed via IED? The setting where the limits of the explorable world are denoted by Actual Sea Serpents resulting in wholly impassable ocean?

Or the setting wherein storms sometimes kick up in Engwithan ruins that rip out your soul?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Too weird? There are real people with physical deformities on their face and godlike are just people with freaky face features that only scrubs see anyway.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I figured there would be reviews by now. Is there still an embargo?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well they were a stretch goal so there'd be howls of rage had they been scrapped.

But they're exactly the type of 'something is weird here and every culture has a different opinion on it' setting they've been drumming from the beginning.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

sean10mm posted:

Of course you would say that. :haw:

I made a Fire Genasi for MotB, no surprise there.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I was reading the Codex and Sensuki said he got spoiled by 4chan about the game. I looked up the thread he was probably reading, and I gotta say, Sensuki, you should really not believe everything you see on the internet because those are the fakest spoilers I've seen since the DmC "leak" which said Virgil would turn into a t-rex for the second stage of his fight.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The Giant Bomb quick look of PoE is up and is being played by Matt Rorie who formerly worked at Obsidian. He does a pretty drat good job of playing and showing off the game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-pillars-of-eternity/2300-10050/

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

So I'm pretty sure I hosed up my rewards and didn't buy the game with my backer credit. Lol. So enjoy my extra 20 bux for buying the game again Rope Kid! May I suggest lion tamer lessons?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Captain Oblivious posted:

You mean the setting where a God was killed via IED? The setting where the limits of the explorable world are denoted by Actual Sea Serpents resulting in wholly impassable ocean?

Or the setting wherein storms sometimes kick up in Engwithan ruins that rip out your soul?

Weird in a sense that doesn't match the weirdness of the rest of the setting. I don't really understand how their weird eye-covering doodads that they can see through fit in with 'souls are real.' The initial impulse was 'wouldn't it be cool if we had planetouched,' which is true, but it still seems like it's not a perfect fit to me.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a Barbarian companion?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Is there a Barbarian companion?

No barbarian, rogue or monk companion.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mozi posted:

You still shouldn't play them because they can't wear cool hats :colbert:

EDIT: Reposting the Landsknecht image so you can see what I'm talking about.

See? Why play a Godlike when you can't go full swag?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I dont know posted:

It is a slight handicap but not as critical as in other games because of how stacking works; by endgame you'll be able to adapt and likely get most of the same bonuses through other slots. You might lose out on a +2 might hat but you'll find some other + 2 might item somewhere and only one would work anyway.

Fire godlikes are a good monk choice since you want to get hit a bit anyway.

Edit: monks can still use weapons if they want.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 25, 2015

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

CommissarMega posted:

Dangerously sassy!

I think it was only during WW1 when the idea of fancier hat=tougher man finally died

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Illegal Username posted:

Dangerously sassy!

I think it was only during WW1 when the idea of fancier hat=tougher man finally died

But then Team Fortress 2 brought that idea back.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Scorchy posted:

I made a Fire Genasi for MotB, no surprise there.

Real hyped for a firey headed Barbarian gentleman cleaving an entire room because I maxed his Int score for my first run through.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Red Minjo posted:

But then Team Fortress 2 brought that idea back.

And order was restored to the universe.

CommissarMega posted:

I dunno, having a head that is on fire is pretty drat swag all on its own.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Illegal Username posted:

Dangerously sassy!

Worst war ever. :(

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i have preloaded and i am excited to play this video game

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Mozi posted:

Weird in a sense that doesn't match the weirdness of the rest of the setting. I don't really understand how their weird eye-covering doodads that they can see through fit in with 'souls are real.' The initial impulse was 'wouldn't it be cool if we had planetouched,' which is true, but it still seems like it's not a perfect fit to me.

I don't think it's really a large stretch for a setting that has transformation magic in it, that childreen can have mutations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm having way too much fun making custom portraits for this game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cheesetriangles posted:

The Giant Bomb quick look of PoE is up and is being played by Matt Rorie who formerly worked at Obsidian. He does a pretty drat good job of playing and showing off the game.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-pillars-of-eternity/2300-10050/

Rorie's a cool guy. But yeah, if you're wavering, take a look at this, it'll very clearly tell you if you want this game or not.

Captain Concept
Aug 23, 2014

Hulk Smash! posted:

No barbarian, rogue or monk companion.

Yet.

I speculate that the Expansion will probably add a Monk, Rogue, or Barbarian companion. And we'll probably see lots of NPC Mods in the following weeks to come ;)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Captain Concept posted:

And we'll probably see lots of NPC Mods in the following weeks to come ;)

However using them may seriously damage your mental health.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Captain Concept posted:

Yet.

I speculate that the Expansion will probably add a Monk, Rogue, or Barbarian companion. And we'll probably see lots of NPC Mods in the following weeks to come ;)

People need to mod in old companions from other games. I need a party with One-of-Many, Kreia, Tiax and Morte.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mozi posted:

I'd disagree. Godlike are perfectly suited to the overarching theme of scientitic inquiry via magic into the nature of the world, and the nature of man. Nature Godlike are physiologically somewhere between man and plant. What makes their soul different that they can sustain an existence compared to say, the disastrous outcome of the Saved Hollowborn children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

prometheus12345 posted:

I don't think it's really a large stretch for a setting that has transformation magic in it, that childreen can have mutations.

What I want to know is how fire and death godlikes sleep

Do they carry custom pillows with them

Do innkeeps have special fire godlike beds

• Locked thread