Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I just want them to stop making me wear loving camouflage jerseys

Don't you want your +4 Patriotism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The infielders weren't warping. You just couldn't see them until they moved.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
the Sony San Diego guys did another live Twitch stream yesterday that covered Licensed Equipment Upgrades and Diamond Dynasty upgrades. Also saw some RTTS features being showcased. Worth a watch and definitely getting me hyped for the game. I don't remember the boats at ATT Park being that detailed in previous versions. And the daytime lighting gets better every year

http://www.twitch.tv/sonysandiegostudio/b/623904037

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

For those of you that don't plan on getting the 10th anniversary edition, Newegg has the PS4 version on sale for $53 with promo code EMCANKP77

Honestly I probably would have skipped this year, but I finally bought a PS4 and kinda want prettier baseball.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 13, 2015

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Infidel Castro posted:

For those of you that don't plan on getting the 10th anniversary edition, Newegg has the PS4 version on sale for $53 with promo code EMCANKP77

Honestly I probably would have skipped this year, but I finally bought a PS4 and kinda want prettier baseball.

It's worth it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dante

Bichette

lmao

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I was a fan of 14 and aside from the general 'haha what' factor of brands giving bonuses I'm into what I'm seeing here.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Some of this stuff is neat.

quote:

Year-To-Year Saves

You will be able to use licensed equipment if you import your Road To The Show player from MLB 14.
It only took four seconds to load an MLB 14 save into MLB 15.
Save files from the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita versions of MLB 14 must be uploaded to Sony's cloud, and from there, they can be downloaded into your PlayStation 4 copy of MLB 15: The Show.
All of MLB 15's new facial scans and skin tones will be automatically applied to imported MLB 14 roster files. Players' attribute ratings, though, will remain the same as they were on your old file.

Franchise Mode

All teams' farm systems are randomly generated whenever you start your Franchise.
You can still edit any player's attributes whenever you want from inside Franchise/Season mode.
Any player's contract can be edited, but you must make your changes before you begin a Franchise or Season. You cannot edit contracts once a Franchise/Season is in progress. You are able to adjust contract length and contract value.
You can no longer cheat the system and lock-up all of your young talents to cheap, long-term contracts. Young players will be expecting a significant pay raise in their prime years, if you choose to sign them to a long-term deal.
All draft picks and minor leaguers can only be signed to one-year deals.
You cannot extend a player's contract during the season. You must wait until the off-season to start negotiating.
Your team's owner will now give you two goals that you must complete if you want to keep your job. The first goal is easier, and it will only focus on that particular season (for example, finishing over .500, or winning your division). The second goal is tougher, and it must be accomplished before your three-year contract expires (for instance, winning a Divisional Series, or capturing a World Series championship). Your owner's expectations will be based on the team's budget and roster talent.
If you're importing a Franchise save file from MLB 14, then you'll begin in the first year of your three-year contract, regardless of where you're at on the 20XX calendar.
Your GM Rating will always start at an average "C," and it can either move up or down, depending on your team's performance, and whether or not you achieve your owner's goals.
If you perform well with a low-budget team, then a big-budget team might offer you a job at the end of the season.
The contract system can be turned off entirely, if you prefer, which allows you to stay with your selected club for the entire length of the Franchise, regardless of your team's performance.
Whenever you put a player on the trading block, a new "trade value" bar will show you how much each team in the league covets your player. Teams looking to make a playoff push will be more interested in read-to-play veterans, while rebuilding franchises will be looking to acquire promising young prospects.
A new "suggest trades" button will make it easier to find offers that the game is likely to accept.
The trade logic has been tweaked so that there are more straight-up, one-for-one trades and less lopsided, multi-player trades.
Trades remain limited to just two teams per transaction. Three-team and four-team trades are something that Sony San Diego is considering adding for future editions of The Show.
Simulating games on the calender is now significantly faster.
You will see more performance-based player progression this year, but the system is still predominantly governed by a player's age and his potential rating. The potential rating can change slightly over time based on your on-field performance.
The age point where players start to naturally regress has been pushed back for MLB 15, and you can even stave off regression for a bit by performing at a high level in old age.
Teams' budgets will grow/shrink over the years based on each club's performance, but certain franchises that have a long history of being big spenders (like the Yankees) will continue to receive large budgets, even if they perennially underperform.
Your team can accept performance-based sponsorships to increase its budget. The sponsors' logos will only show-up on the score tickers and in the instant replay banners.
You can bring any of the retired legends into Franchise mode, if you want.
10 minor league stadiums have been added on PlayStation 4. These fictional, unlicensed stadiums previously existed on PlayStation 3, but they now look much prettier on Sony's latest console.

Radio Show

The PlayStation 4 is the only system that will have the radio show this year, due to the huge amount of audio data it requires. There was not enough space to include it on the PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Vita.
Radio host Justin Allegri broadcasts minor league baseball and college football/basketball in real life.
Allegri mostly recaps box scores and stats, but he will also talk about any recent injuries, team transactions, career milestones, or impressive single-game accomplishments.
The radio show will keep playing while you move through the Franchise menus.
It will work in Road to the Show and Franchise, but if you listen to the radio show in RTTS, it will only talk about MLB events, and it won't mention anything that's happening in the minors.
Your created character can be mentioned on the radio show, but the news won't be slanted to make him the primary focus; the show just treats him like any other athlete.
Players without a recorded audio name are referred to by their jersey number, position, and team name.

Miscellaneous Notes

You can now select a specific month and time of day for exhibition games. These settings will affect the in-game lighting.
If you start a game at night, and it goes deep into extra innings, you will eventually see the sun rising in the A.M.
Users will have more control over their fielders this year, as they won't be locked into catch animations until much later in the ball's descent.
Starting pitchers' performance will begin to plummet at 20 percent stamina; relief pitchers start struggling at 40 percent stamina.

quote:

Menus

You can now play/sim games directly from the main Franchise menu without having to search through the entire season calendar
A rotating "league updates" panel will let you see scores, stats, and transactions from your Franchise without having to page through multiple menus
All of the Franchise panels have been reorganized so that more information is readily available without needing to dig through several different screens
Like on last week's stream, it took exactly 21 seconds to load into a Franchise game from the "set your lineup" screen

Interface

You can now check your pitcher's energy while you are batting by pressing the d-pad. This will make it easier to decide whether or not to pinch-hit for a tired pitcher
All of the game's pitching/hitting interfaces can be used online
Visible pitch trails create a better visual representation of how the ball is going to move from the pitcher's glove to the catcher's glove. This is an option that can be toggled on/off
Pitchers can hold the R2 button to use an abbreviated "slide step" delivery if they think that a runner might be stealing. Slide step pitches will naturally have a lower velocity, and will also be tougher to control.

Differences between the PS3/Vita editions and the PS4 version

Licensed equipment will only show up in-game on PlayStation 4 this year, due to memory restrictions on the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita
The "Inside the Show" radio show will only appear on PlayStation 4 this year
Players will see a lot more animation variety and cutscene variety on PlayStation 4

Miscellaneous notes

The universal rewards level cap is 30
The new home run derby format is in the game
Manager challenges are an option now, and they will mostly occur during force outs to first base. The game will show a scene of your skipper talking to the first base umpire, then it will cut to a replay of the disputed call, at which point you can decide whether or not to issue a challenge
Hitters, fielders, and pitchers can all be injured if they are struck by the ball
Roster updates will continue to happen every week, and they will still be predominantly based on real-life performance. Remember that all MLB rookies have to play a full game in the majors before they can be added to the MLB 15: The Show roster.

Presentation

Night games no longer use a detailless black abyss for the background. Each ballpark's skyline will appear darker or lighter depending on the camera's distance
New post-pitch replays will highlight questionable calls and well-placed throws
Not every player will automatically receive a batter walk-up cutscene; these will appear more situationally this year
The commentary in Franchise mode will talk about your last 8 to 10 games, plus it will discuss how well your team is doing in the season standings
Play-by-play calls have been tuned to be shorter, with less run-on sentences
Post-pitch commentary is more likely to talk about what just happened instead of going off on long, unrelated tangents
MLB: The Show's commentary designer/scriptwriter recently left the team, and in December of 2014, Kirby St. John took over those duties.
Every MLB player who has a contract with the game's available sponsors will have licensed equipment in MLB 15: The Show. The fictional minor leaguers will mostly use licensed equipment, but there is still some generic gear being used in the minors.
There are some new team-specific celebrations and cutscenes
The developers captured lots of signature home run swings and home run celebrations for "all the big power hitters in the game."
Pitchers and batters will show more emotion this year while reacting in the post-play cutscenes
Every MLB team has the same number of uniform slots as last year, but most of the new alternate uniforms should be in the game. The Franchise mode logic that decides when teams will wear certain outfits is based on their real-life uniform schedules.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 4, 2015

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

quote:

If you start a game at night, and it goes deep into extra innings, you will eventually see the sun rising in the A.M.

I hope there's an achievement for this

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
still no custom walk up music :mad:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

quote:

Night games no longer use a detailless black abyss for the background. Each ballpark's skyline will appear darker or lighter depending on the camera's distance

Oddly enough, this might be my favorite change. I'm kind of tired of looking like a blackout has struck downtown Pittsburgh.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still only have a PS3, should I get this game? I love my gimmick teams. Like my all clubhouse cancer team of A-Rod and Jordany Valdespin.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rand alPaul posted:

I still only have a PS3, should I get this game? I love my gimmick teams. Like my all clubhouse cancer team of A-Rod and Jordany Valdespin.

yes it is still the best baseball game. we just like to nag on its awful netcode.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dubious posted:

yes it is still the best baseball game. we just like to nag on its awful netcode.

They must have had some major improvements if it can be classified as awful now.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Dubious posted:

still no custom walk up music :mad:

When that is back, I will make the jump to this Gen.

I guess as long as the loading time is non-terrible too because I heard it was awful in '14

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Haha yeah they were quite ridiculous. The install by far was the longest I've ever seen in a game too.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Is the lack of custom walk-up music an issue with the PS4 hard drive? I know PSN just partnered with Spotify so maybe that could be a workaround.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Piper posted:

Is the lack of custom walk-up music an issue with the PS4 hard drive? I know PSN just partnered with Spotify so maybe that could be a workaround.

There is no MP3 support on PS4 yet, in this, TYOOL 2015.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Custom walk-up music is a non-factor for me; I'd love to see the following changes in RttS:

--Look, just because a reliever/closer came into the game doesn't mean they strikeout every batter they face in the first half-inning they appear in. This poo poo's not gospel in real life, nor should it be in a video game.

--Enough with the OF's on ice skates & sprinting over-the-shoulder basket catches & IF's who make dime-perfect throws off-balance from one foot falling away from the base they're throwing to almost every game.

--MLB 14 The (Foul Ball) Show

--Use different reaction animations per player; nothing cornier than seeing the bases loaded, 2 outs....batter grounds out & all 3 runners stop on a dime and (unnaturally) clap their hands. In unison. Like a "Nutcracker" performance or something.

--So many times I should've been nailed on poor base-running choices while the AI just stands there, ball in hand, going "Huh?"

--More interaction (suggestions, maybe?) from coaches? Too many times, playing RttS is like playing an MMO without chat.

--If I've worked my rear end off & I'm close to the .300 mark, then put me at 1-2-3-4....all the time! Bouncing me down to 7th in the lineup while you try out that .210 hitter at clean-up hasn't worked all season & it's not going to work now.

--Variety in contact locations (in the field). I've never played a baseball game (videogame or real life) where so many shots head straight at OF's. Like...taking ZERO steps & just holding up their glove for the out.

--Pitching isn't bad, but if I'm on 5-6 days rest & my 1st inning 2-seam FB is running away to the tune of more than a foot or so from my location, at least have the announcers mention rumors of my struggle with alcoholism or something to explain the woeful command.

--An INSTANT "end button". I really do like the visual aspect of MLB 14, but unless there are strippers in the stands or some long-lost footage of what *really* happened during the JFK assassination, I'd rather just get back to the menus & move on instead of seeing 10 different camera angles of the other team that just won celebrating a 2-1 game in 17 innings while I went 1-for-8 or gave up the hit that gave them the win.

--I heard this has been addressed, but if it hasn't, please remove the magical, invisible suits of armor that have graced pitchers for much of 14. I don't need to see someone die on the mound (yet), but when I rarely rip a 95+ mph fastball back up the middle & right off the pitcher's knee, it's doubtful he stays in the game, if only for observation purposes by the medical staff. It's DOUBLY-doubtful that he recovers in enough time to pick up the ball & throw me out at first.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Dubious posted:

There is no MP3 support on PS4 yet, in this, TYOOL 2015.

There is if you put it on a USB, but it's semi-recent so I doubt it made The Show Dev cycle.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Have some player ratings: http://www.goodgamebro.com/2015/03/06/mlb-15-the-show-top-10-players-by-position/

Top 10 by position.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

They must be hating on Freeman. My Braves will be rough this year.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

--I heard this has been addressed, but if it hasn't, please remove the magical, invisible suits of armor that have graced pitchers for much of 14. I don't need to see someone die on the mound (yet), but when I rarely rip a 95+ mph fastball back up the middle & right off the pitcher's knee, it's doubtful he stays in the game, if only for observation purposes by the medical staff. It's DOUBLY-doubtful that he recovers in enough time to pick up the ball & throw me out at first.

This is one of the things in the changelog so hopefully there will be some more injuries, but I definitely injured pitchers last year. My best memory is facing Texas and on the first pitch I rocketed one back at Darvish's head and got an infield single while he lay comatose on the mound. After the game I checked and he was out for the rest of the season with a fractured skull.

This isn't mine, but it's quite similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMFU1lQkp-o

drat. Hoping for some good online news now because the Jays are looking good here.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

lmao only two Twins, Dozier at #7 at 2B and Glen at #8 as a closer.

Sounds about right.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I'm an A's fan and am pretty drat surprised at Doolittle and Coco's rating. And don't know a lot about Zobrist but I'll take it.

Donaldson and Yo :smith:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

The Mets get Michael Cuddyer and Wright. Matt Harvey should be top 10. :colbert:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

--Use different reaction animations per player; nothing cornier than seeing the bases loaded, 2 outs....batter grounds out & all 3 runners stop on a dime and (unnaturally) clap their hands. In unison. Like a "Nutcracker" performance or something.

This is a feature, not a bug.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I like the head tap one after hitting a homer.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

ForbiddenWonder posted:

I like the head tap one after hitting a homer.

Even better, the hand-to-helmet adjustment while on-base. I've seen the animation before right after I've stolen a base and even though the batting helmet came off during the slide, the animation continued & it looked like my player was fixing his hair.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Having Joe Carter has a playable character makes this a must buy for me.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If you remove the left bar that shows you what's happening with the at-bat in MLB Gameday, you uncover this:

I wonder if they're just under and old contract for The Show '14 until '15 is released or something?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Pre-order deal for anyone intending to get this regardless.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7713807-mlb-15-the-show-pre-order-ps4-25-dell-egift-card-60-free-shipping

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Dell offers these $25 gift cards all the time, but there's maybe a 50/50 shot you'll actually get one.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Milkman posted:

Dell offers these $25 gift cards all the time, but there's maybe a 50/50 shot you'll actually get one.

What can I even do with a $25 gift card toward Dell? I will probably never buy any of their overpriced poo poo for myself but maybe they have an online store where I could redeem it toward other things?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Milkman posted:

They give you a date when you pre-order that you will receive it by email, and if you don't get it you can open a support ticket or call them to get it. It's really, really illegal to not send gift cards when you promise it, so you will get it.

tadashi posted:

What can I even do with a $25 gift card toward Dell? I will probably never buy any of their overpriced poo poo for myself but maybe they have an online store where I could redeem it toward other things?

Well, obviously they sell video games. You can get $25 off the next game you get, or $25 off PS+ or a controller, etc. You can also usually sell them for around 18-20. If your going to pre-order for $60 and a disc anyway, this is as good of a deal as you'll probably find.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lockback posted:

They give you a date when you pre-order that you will receive it by email, and if you don't get it you can open a support ticket or call them to get it. It's really, really illegal to not send gift cards when you promise it, so you will get it.

Yeah and you open a support ticket, they say they sent it. go back and forth some more, they say they sent you another one, go back and forth again, then you give up and never give Dell money again.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I ordered the anniversary edition because I wanted all those dynamic themes.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Soooooo I haven't bought/played a "the Show" since 10, and now that I have a spakin' new PS4, I want to buy this. Coupla questions for those of y'all that have 14:

Did they ever fix the retarded manager goals poo poo? In 10, you'd get yelled at for not covering a hit and run that's in the damned dirt and impossible to hit, for getting caught stealing even though you have 100+ SBs on the season, and there were a ton of other bullshit things like "take this first pitch" and then getting yelled at for smashing a gopher ball over the wall for a 3 run shot. That's to say nothing about all the poo poo where it would let you "talk to the manager" if you were a pitcher and were pulled in the 8th on a one hitter. WHO ARE YOU TO QUESTION ME? YOU'RE SITTING A GAME! HAHAHHAHA Like why even bother putting that poo poo in if you always "lost" the argument?

Progression poo poo related to above, the "manager" would sometimes decide you needed to improve say bunting one week. If you didn't, you'd get reprimanded even though you lead the league in every goddamned hitting category. Yes, I'm sure the Twins are going to bench their future HoF 2B who hit 120 HRs last year because he didn't improve his bunting enough this week.

Is lead-offs any better? In 10, If you were 2 steps off and a fast guy, your baserunning "experience" consisted of 1,453,542 throwovers to first. In most cases, if you didn't have the retreat button down before he even started the motion, you were gone. I had to frequently hold the "lean" button (R2) and retreat at the same time so that the runner would stay where I wanted him, but would make it back if the CPU decided on throwover number 3,325. Stealing got to be a real bitch if you had any sort of speed.

Is practice any better, or is it pretty much teh same?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

They changed it all a year or two ago. The whole system is much better. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd post more details. Do some googling and you'll find info from 13 or 14 about how they fixed it.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Baserunning greatly improved with 13 (and there's a slider for CPU pickoffs you can turn down, which I always do), bu that's the last one I played & the manager goals & progression poo poo was still in that version. I think goals & progression changed for the better in 14 and improved again for 15.

• Locked thread