Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Holy moly, they actually went ahead and actually intervened into Yemen, this clearly shows how bad the situation has become for Hadi that they took this step, this ought to be an illuminating display. I wonder if they'll actually attempt an invasion.

What I really want to know is what Ali Abdallah Saleh might be thinking, I mean, he literally threw his lot with the Houthis so the idea of him being in the same trench as them in fighting agianst the gulf is quite a new experience.

And this will also show how far in deep Iran is in training the Houthis, if the gulf forces face huge problems it pretty much will confirm that the Iranians have been lending their expertise bigtime.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Egypt and Saudi Arabia going into a war in Yemen on the same side. Somewhere, Nasser spins in his grave at the speed of light.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Gen. Ripper posted:

What is with Oman? They're like the chillest country in the Middle East, I swear.

No real hat in the ideology ring. Relatively wealthy. Strong contacts with non-muslim communities. Plus, while Oman and Yemen might be neighbors on a map:
[
It's not exactly a population density map, but it gets the point across I think. Might as well be a narrow sea between em.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo an actual Saudi mobilization? Oh my god this is going to be a disaster.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Holy poo poo an actual Saudi mobilization? Oh my god this is going to be a disaster.

Oh it's not that complicated. See the US is helping Iran fight Sunni insurgents backed by the Saudis while helping Saudi Arabia fight Shiite insurgents backed by Iran and are are also negotiating a nuclear deal with Iran in part to prevent the Saudi's developing nukes in response. How could this nuanced and well considered policy ever go wrong?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Even more airstrike news! It looks like the US is bombing Tikrit now. I hope we don't accidently bomb some of the Iranians we are totally not helping there.
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/3/25/us-has-discussed-possible-tikrit-strikes-with-iraq.html

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Not only that, but apparently CNN is confirming that HADI has left the country, there's no one left to fight on Hadi's side other than the gulf countries proper, they'd have to march all the way to Sanaa if they ever hope to reverse this situation, holy poo poo this is a bigger shitshow than I thought it's going to be.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In Yemen news, an entire battalion of Saudi troops was wiped out because they failed to tie their boots. Final words of the commanding officer were reported to be "when...when is lunch"

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So I gather that Saudi army is pretty bad, poorly organized, terrible leadership, understrength. But I've also heard that they've got a lot of neat toys. So even if they make complete asses out of themselves, they could still do what the Russians did in Chechnya and just shell stuff 'till everything is completely destroyed, no matter how little they've actually achieved, then proclaim victory and go home.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yemen is so much bigger and more heavily populated than Chechnya. Just as mountainous though.

Don't worry lads this will all be over by the time the leaves fall!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

New Division posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yemen is so much bigger and more heavily populated than Chechnya. Just as mountainous though.

Don't worry lads this will all be over by the time the leaves fall!

What I'm saying is that as bad as they may be the Saudis are probably perfectly capable of completely loving over anything within range of their aircraft and artillery, just not in any militarily useful sense, but in the "cause terrible destruction of infrastructure and civilian property and kill a bunch of people indisciminately".

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 26, 2015

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Oh sure, I'm sure the Saudis can level a few villages and cities. In fact, I'm willing to bet that will happen if the Saudis and their braindead friends really do decide to go "all in"

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Since by all accounts the Houthis have used Yemeni air force planes to bomb targets in Aden, what do you suppose are the odds we'll get an air battle or two out of this before the Saudis slink away?

illrepute fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 26, 2015

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I'd say low. Saudis will probably face anti-aircraft missiles and AA fire but the Yemenis sending planes up to fight air combat seem like a bad idea. I don't even think Yemen's existing air force was really built for anything but CAS.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Why isn't this being reported anywhere yet on American-based news sites? Do we just not report on foreign conflicts unless we have a direct role in them?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

illrepute posted:

Since by all accounts the Houthis have used Yemeni planes to bomb targets in Yemen, what do you suppose are the odds we'll get an air battle or two out of this before the Saudis slink away?

How homoerotic would Saudi Top Gun be?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Lawman 0 posted:

How homoerotic would Saudi Top Gun be?

four out of five public floggings

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

New Division posted:

Oh sure, I'm sure the Saudis can level a few villages and cities. In fact, I'm willing to bet that will happen if the Saudis and their braindead friends really do decide to go "all in"

Well I'm pretty sure the main purpose of the saudi military is internal suppression so yeah indiscriminate killing of civilians is probably the only thing they are any good at.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

karl fungus posted:

Why isn't this being reported anywhere yet on American-based news sites? Do we just not report on foreign conflicts unless we have a direct role in them?

It's a 'top story' on CNN right now:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/middleeast/yemen-unrest/index.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

karl fungus posted:

Welcome to corporate media gutting of foreign correspondents.

I'm so glad that we yet again destabilized a country to the point of collapse. Somalia and Iraq clearly weren't enough.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

To be fair, there's a lot of blame to go around when it comes to destabilizing Yemen. The GCC, the US, the Houthis, Saleh... all of them helped make this poo poo sandwhich.

edit: Pics of the dead in Sanaa are starting to pop up on twitter in Yemen. It looks like plenty of them are going to end up being civilians, including kids.

New Division fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 26, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

karl fungus posted:

It's the top of the page on the NY Times site.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Yemen: famously stable until Amerikkka messed it up when

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Oh, now I'm seeing it. Was a bit of a delay between hearing about it here and seeing it on news sites.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
And Sudan and Pakistan are in because why not.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

This guy sounds nervous as gently caress.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Saudis are claiming they are going to commit 100 fighter jets and 150,000 troops for this campaign.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/03/26/Saudi-deploys-100-fighter-jets-150-000-soldiers-for-anti-Houthi-campaign.html

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

are they going to actually attempt a full scale invasion? they're actually going to try to wade through the mountains of Yemen oh my god so many people are about to die.

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

are they going to actually attempt a full scale invasion? they're actually going to try to wade through the mountains of Yemen oh my god so many people are about to die.

Deus Vult!

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I'd guess that the Egyptians will send a big chunk of troops at some point in the near future. I'd say Sisi's debt to the GCC just got called in tonight.

I can't help but be certain that some form of ground operation is coming from what I'm seeing, that's a pretty significant chunk of troops. Question is what kind of operation they'll do. I have to hope that no one is stupid enough to try and fight through the mountains of Yemen, but maybe they'll secure the South Yemen coastal areas?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

If the Iranians and Hezbollah managed to spend half an hour with the houthis and train them even a little bit every Arab army is pretty much dead on arrival. Because training world-class guerrilla armies that can beat first world armies is kind of what they do for a living.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 26, 2015

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
Morocco is in with a few aircraft as well.
So far: Saudi, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Jordan, Egypt, Pakistan, Morocco and Sudan are all taking part.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Muffiner posted:

So far: Saudi, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Jordan, Egypt, Pakistan, Morocco and Sudan are all taking part.

I like how Sudan just slid on in there.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Omar al-Bashir is stepping up to defend Yemeni freedom. :shepface:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I like how Sudan just slid on in there.

Sudan's army wasn't even able to save their own country from splitting apart, in fact they hastened it significantly. truly an ally you can count on.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Wow this past year or two has been a pretty active one for Arab air forces. From the strikes on ISIS in Syria, to the strikes in Libya, and now airstrikes in Yemen. I guess its about time they started using some of that fancy US made hardware they spend all that oil money on.

Also, are the GCC countries still bombing in Syria? I wonder if they have enough planes to conduct airstrikes there and in Yemen simultaneously?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

The Janjaweed are undoubtably piling into transport craft as we speak, the women of Dafur will have to rape themselves until they return.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Muffiner posted:

Jesus. is this gonna turn into a super war?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Schizotek posted:

No real hat in the ideology ring. Relatively wealthy. Strong contacts with non-muslim communities. Plus, while Oman and Yemen might be neighbors on a map:
[
It's not exactly a population density map, but it gets the point across I think. Might as well be a narrow sea between em.

1) So they're putting Wahhabism not as a branch of sunnism? Huh. Man, Saudi Arabia's existence looks kinda fragile looking like that.

2) What are those patches of... brown(?) in the Nile valley? I expected Coptic pink, but that shade does not look like the color of like, Cyprus.

3) Good Lord the Med Coast is a mess. A nation-state cannot exist in that jumble, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

As I was walking to my car tonight a disheveled beggar approached me and asked for money. He said "Do you know Yemen?" I responded "Yes, the Houthis are taking over." He said "Yes, I am refugee, I escaped." He had a nasty cut on his forehead that he claimed was from being hit with the butt of a Kalashnikov. I started throwing out Arabic phrases and he answered back in perfect Arabic, so I gave him $20. He hugged me and said Allah would repay me 7-fold for my good deed. He actually left that conversation totally convinced that I was an Arab just looking out for one of my own peeps because I nailed the really gutteral, throaty "ch" sound in "Al-ham dulillah" which is Arabic for "All praise be to Allah." Southeast Michigan has one of the highest concentration of Arabs outside the Middle East so his story was sorta-kinda plausible.

He's probably gonna go spend it on drugs but c'est la vie, that's what I was gonna spend it on too.

• Locked thread