Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
:spooky: :cmon: :spooky:

What would be more impressive?

Alien life we'll have to qualify as something we can see with the naked eye

Or finding out what happens after we die, it's the battle of questions that have lasted since the dawn of humanity.

discuss

:spooky: :cmon: :spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaloioannes
Oct 9, 2014
Aliens just means that that one thing that that happened (that a planet ending up with people on it) happene on another planet to.

Life after death means that...gently caress. I don't know.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
:spooky: :ms: :spooky:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i think life after death IS alien life

mind

BLOWN

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
aliens can suck my cock life after death wtf death after life more like

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
The 0112 were dark times

Gatekeeper posted:

mind

BLOWN

so like reincarnation man ?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gatekeeper posted:

mind

BLOWN

what if human life is just the alien afterlife

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

finding out we are all the same consciousness would be a treat

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
I'd prefer both then I can breakdance fight a dragon on rollerblades like Channing Tatum

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

would you rather be a ghost or gently caress an alien?

no wrong answers here

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
death is the liberation of the conscios mind fromt he limitation of material finitude imo

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

What if we are all dead aliens?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Life after death. We already have a pretty good understanding of basic life and its building blocks and know there's a good chance some sort of alien life exists, even if it's not intelligent.

Some sort of life after death would indicate the existence of a whole new plane of existence previous never recorded which would be more fantastical.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No. 6 posted:

Life after death. We already have a pretty good understanding of basic life and its building blocks and know there's a good chance some sort of alien life exists, even if it's not intelligent.

Some sort of life after death would indicate the existence of a whole new plane of existence previous never recorded which would be more fantastical.

why the hell not hters all sorts of crazy dimensions and if mathematics is eternal then why not hte consciousness that grasps it

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

No one has ever come back from the dead.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I.C. posted:

No one has ever come back from the dead.

the gently caress do u know

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Orkin Mang posted:

the gently caress do u know

I don't know anything. Good point. Who knows? Not I.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Life after death for sure.

Alien life of some kind is a near certainty with the numbers involved. It might be neat to see it in weird configurations we're not used to or based on silicon or some weird thing, but "life" is a phenomenon that wouldn't change our fundamental understanding of the universe the way that the revelation that your consciousness persists after death would.

The bad news is just as we can conjecture with a lot of confidence that there are aliens out there, we can conjecture with the same confidence that your consciousness is just an emergent process of your brain's activity, so when you die nothing happens and it's just oblivion, OP.

Sorry to have to tell you.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What if this is the afterlife and we're the aliens OP?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
unity precedes all composites and is their condition. reason is the transfinite approach toward intifinte truth. teh body may perish but the nous persists and is seduced by the one

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ive already been brain dead for a week I'd rather find aliens because death is certain

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pure reason demands openness not closure. closure is the boundedness of the fearful, the quivering sagan

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0mdOvNEUiA

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

*dies of liver failure bc of jackd*

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

william james posted:

For my own part, then, so far as logic goes, I am willing that every leaf that ever grew in this world's forests and rustled in the breeze should become immortal. It is purely a question of fact: are the leaves so, or not ? Abstract quantity, and the abstract needlessness in our eyes of so much reduplication of things so much alike, have no connection with the subject. For bigness and number and generic similarity are only manners of our finite way of thinking; and, considered in itself and apart from our imagination, one scaIe of dimensions and of numbers for the Universe is no more miraculous or inconceivable than another, the moment you grant to a universe the liberty to be at all, in place of the Non-entity that might conceivably have reigned.

The heart of being can have no exclusions akin to those which our poor little hearts set up. The inner significance of other lives exceeds all our powers of sympathy and insight. If we feel a significance in our own life which would lead us spontaneously to claim its perpetuity, let us be at least tolerant of like claims made by other lives, however numerous, however unideal they may seem to us to be. Let us at any rate not decide adversely on our own claim, whose grounds we feel directly, because we cannot decide favorably on the alien claims, whose grounds we cannot feel at all. That would be letting blindness lay down the law to sight.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'm guessing there'd be mass suicide if life after death was established. I'm hoping some of these people would have some nice poo poo to loot.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
death to u kuato. all the best

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kuato posted:

I'm guessing there'd be mass suicide if life after death was established. I'm hoping some of these people would have some nice poo poo to loot.

Kill yourself and receive 72 virgins!

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I wasn't brought up to believe Heaven or Hell or any afterlife. Cessation of consciousness freaks me out a little, but then I think that it wouldn't really matter anyway because I wouldn't know.

I did think I was abducted by aliens once but it turned out I wasn't. I think.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

life after death is 100% fantasy that humans have clung onto in order to not ruin their hopes in life due to the unfortunate fact that with the age of the universe as a rule of measurement, their existence is nothing more than a forgetful moment.

if there's life after death, then there may as well be life before birth, and from a realistic perspective, a person before birth is nothing more than a bunch of matter that has yet to form the end product of human reproduction. So yeah, when you die, you die. your matter that used to represent your rotting body simply becomes something else.

i expect to see some microscopic alien life in my lifetime, so I guess I'm optimistic when it comes to those things

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I.C. posted:

I wasn't brought up to believe Heaven or Hell or any afterlife. Cessation of consciousness freaks me out a little, but then I think that it wouldn't really matter anyway because I wouldn't know.

Realpostin': being dead should be no more scary than being pre-born. The actual dying tho often sucks mightilly.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Being braindead was pretty cool. It made every hallucinogen I've done seem like a walk in the park except everything was covered in bugs.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
good discuss

I.C. posted:

I don't know anything. Good point. Who knows? Not I.

same :(

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What if this is the afterlife and we're the aliens OP?

i hope theres an after after life

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
aliens are inevitable, although proof of it would be extraordinary for various reasons

however an afterlife would be a nonsensical miracle, so id pick that one

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you join the one true religion you will realize that you will get to experience both

We will transcend beyond death to the true thetan life forms we were born of and finally destroy Xenu

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What if when you died you had the choice to reincarnate as any sentient being anywhere in the universe but there is a line for the best spots that is like a million years long? So to escape the boredom of a million years of limbo most people accept lame spots.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"Reincarnate as a third world starving child now! No waiting!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Maybe you can get frequent dier miles so everytime you reincarnate as a starving african and die you get credit for something better

• Locked thread