Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Basically, while the precise incrementing cost of new virtues isn't something I can call up off the top of my head, it's advantageous in the sense that you'll have a total of 7 virtues instead of 6, right now, and thus be reaping all the benefits of it. If you delay until five more virtues in your main tree before taking the first in another,y ou'll still end up 1 virtue ahead [and be at 12 instead of 11], but you'll have gone those 5 virtues' worth of turns [usually 10-15 turns apiece] without the benefit of that first virtue.

Which could be 50-75 turns with combat wherein you don't get +50% XP for killing stuff, or 50-75 turns without the 10% food retention of Frugality, +10% science from Foresight [assuming Healthy the entire time], or +10% building production from Labor Logistics, whichever your secondary virtue would be.

Basically, the sooner you have a virtue, the sooner you can exploit its' benefits. It won't cripple you but it's not doing yourself any favors, and reaps no reward since you're basically expected to invest in at least two virtue trees by the time game ends, unless you're zergrushing.

Nekomimi-Maiden fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah in an average game you'll have enough culture to get one full virtue tree and most of if not all of a second tree. If you go heavy culture you might even be able to get some of a third.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Chapter 9: Ding Dong, The Worm is Dead

Dear Mr. Hutama, why does the alien tubers make my pee smell funny?

-Bobby Sands of Jimboomba, Age 6

Bobby, you must be mistaking me for a science whiz. I majored in Political Science. But! Thanks to our wonderful new computers, I can look up the answer for you. Turns out it's because of a compound they produce that reacts with your stomach in a weird way, and your stomach can't completely digest it. It might cause your pee to turn a weird color too, but it's perfectly harmless, so don't worry.

Unfortunately, that's as far as I can go with the regular schedule. An hour before this broadcast began, I received word that Polystralian soldiers had begun an all-out assault on the Great Worm.

There is no reason to be afraid. The ultrasonic fences are up and running at full power thanks to the even greater efficiency of our thorium reactors. We are in no danger here. But we should all take a moment to say a prayer for our brave marines.

There are a number of quests that fired this update, but rather than hold a vote on each one, I picked what seemed to make the most sense based on previous votes. This should allow us to get farther in the game with each update. I hope nobody minds.

Given our ethos of living well, getting more Health out of Pharmalabs seemed like the only choice. The other option was more Science, for the record.

The other choice was +5% Military Unit production, which doesn't seem to fit us at all.

This either gives Explorers an additional Expedition module they can use before returning to a base and resupplying, or gives Laboratories an additional +1 Science. I went with the Science, since we've already explored most expedition sites in our vicinity.

For the same reason, I have to postpone my interview with Doctor Sochua. But that's good in a way, because we'll have more to talk about next time, since our scientists have developed some neat new robots.

Now those geniuses are hard at work unlocking the vast energy potential of the region's geology.

Anyway, our finest commanders and biologists are already on the scene, so I decided it would be best to step out of the way and trust them to do their job. Thus, the Q&A session earlier. And... I'm now receiving word that the assault has concluded, with our forces victorious. That's right, the Worm is dead.

I'm taking a rover to the site now, so I can reward these heroes with the honor and riches they deserve. Have a safe day, everyone.

“I thought you'd never wrap that up. There are a lot of things that need your attention.”

“Hey, I'm not the only leader around here, you know. This is exactly why we have a Committee.”

“Right, sorry. But you are the one who sets the beat for everyone else.”

“No worries, intern. What's up?”

“First of all, you remember that weird... signal you got on your computer a while back? We may have found a possible source. The only problem is that it's coming from a lake of high-protein xenomass, and we need to decide if investigating is worth draining and disrupting the lake. It might also be a good idea to leave it alone, so whoever it is doesn't know we discovered them. ”

“What makes you think it's related?”

“It might not be, you're right. But as soon as we found the signal, it somehow deposited encrypted files in our laboratory's computer banks, which the scientists have had only limited success deciphering. It really has them spooked.”

“Hmm. Okay then. I'll decide on that on the way. Is that all? We have to get moving.”

“You're not going to like this next bit.”

“Out with it.”

“Just... look at this satellite image.”

*Incoherent Indonesian swearing*

Yep, that's right. Another loving Siege Worm, in the exact same loving place. Hahaha, :suicide:

Anyway, for the Cultural Burden decision, the first option gives us a Xenomass tile, which is currently useless since we can't improve it, while the second option leads to another choice:

The cultural records give Purity XP, and the technology records give Supremacy XP. Both are useful and justifiable, but it's up to you guys.

Killing the Siege Worm also got us enough culture for a new Virtue, so please vote on that as well. Here is the new one we have access to:

As well as: Adaptive Tactics (+50% military unit XP gain), Frugality (+10% Food retained after city growth), Foresight (+10% Science when Healthy), Scalable Infrastructure (+15% Wonder production), and Social Investment (+2 Production from Manufactories)

Also, here is what our whole tree looks like:

To say we are an industrious people is an understatement.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 26, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Haha, with all those worms out and about I do hope you get to reverse the polarity on your Ultrasonic Fences soon :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Save the technology

They died cause they were chumps. Are we chumps? gently caress no. So gently caress their crybaby diary bullshit. :colbert:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Despoil the xenomass and recover the technology!

Investment is awesome once you have a lot of cash... which we're well on our way to doing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Pillage the xenomass and Invest.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What are we, robots? Recover the records, guys.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Is that Xenomass workable? Because it's been my experience that the probe for that quest will always crash exactly 4 tiles outside my capital, which is annoying because Xenomass gives +3 food when improved. Save it if it's workable, get the culture if it's not. Xenomass is a good resource (I particularly love a later wonder it enables) but there are other ways to get it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

We must uncover the technology so we can invest in :roboluv:!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

habeasdorkus posted:

Investment is awesome once you have a lot of cash... which we're well on our way to doing.

This.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
Never mind, misread the virtue tree.

Oh and Be the captain planet villain you've always secretly wanted to be, Hutama. (Kill the xenomass, get the tech)

brb on fire fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 26, 2015

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Is that Xenomass workable? Because it's been my experience that the probe for that quest will always crash exactly 4 tiles outside my capital, which is annoying because Xenomass gives +3 food when improved. Save it if it's workable, get the culture if it's not. Xenomass is a good resource (I particularly love a later wonder it enables) but there are other ways to get it.

It is exactly four tiles away, because this game hates us.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Still, if your territory expands out to it you can plant a well on it and get that juicy xenomass resource.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Cythereal posted:

Still, if your territory expands out to it you can plant a well on it and get that juicy xenomass resource.

How far away tech tree wise is the tech for Xenomass Wells, anyway? And I forget if you need an appropriate Affinity to build one.

In any case, I agree with this:

habeasdorkus posted:

While we need some Purity sooner or later, looks like we're going down the Supremacy train! Shame, since I want to see some Polystralian Battlesuits sooner rather than later. Also, we should totally get that tech that gives us the Gene Vault. It's usually my first wonder (after the Spy Network, of course), and it gives fairly decent yields.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

How far away tech tree wise is the tech for Xenomass Wells, anyway? And I forget if you need an appropriate Affinity to build one.

I think we have the prerequisites and you do not. You don't need affinity points to build firaxite mines, floatstone quarries, or xenomass wells, and especially since the last patch there are some nice wonders that use xenomass.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

GhostStalker posted:

While we need some Purity sooner or later, looks like we're going down the Supremacy train! Shame, since I want to see some Polystralian Battlesuits sooner rather than later. Also, we should totally get that tech that gives us the Gene Vault. It's usually my first wonder (after the Spy Network, of course), and it gives fairly decent yields.

Yes, we are able to research Alien Sciences, the prereq for Xenomass wells. But I have some bad news for you. A) The Gene Vault now gives a free worker in every new city instead of any yields (which is pretty goddamn useless if you ask me, especially compared to its previous benefits), and B) Kavitha already built it, which I was going to talk about next update. It's actually somewhat decent for her, since she already benefits from building lots of cities.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

But I have some bad news for you. A) The Gene Vault now gives a free worker in every new city instead of any yields (which is pretty goddamn useless if you ask me, especially compared to its previous benefits), and B) Kavitha already built it, which I was going to talk about next update. It's actually somewhat decent for her, since she already benefits from building lots of cities.

Blargh, that's what I get for not actually owning the game and not playing it since the free weekend months back. Guess I should've checked the new patch notes regardless.

Cythereal posted:

I think we have the prerequisites and you do not. You don't need affinity points to build firaxite mines, floatstone quarries, or xenomass wells, and especially since the last patch there are some nice wonders that use xenomass.

Yes, we are able to research Alien Sciences, the prereq for Xenomass wells.

Fair enough. Still, it's out of our workable city range, so unless you feel like dropping an outpost there... There's likely other sources of Xenomass near other avenues of expansion that aren't so near Kavitha. Also, free Affinity points!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

I'm beginning to think this is hard coded.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm beginning to think this is hard coded.
Hard coded that the game hates us? Yeah, I think so too. :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hard coded that the game hates us? Yeah, I think so too. :v:

Haha, well, yes, but that satellite crashing 4 tiles outside the capital, specifically. It's happened 4/4 games where I've gotten that quest since I started noticing it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Haha, well, yes, but that satellite crashing 4 tiles outside the capital, specifically. It's happened 4/4 games where I've gotten that quest since I started noticing it.

I've gotten it inside city radii a few times, but those have always been accompanied by a new faction landing right on the doorstep of a newly founded outpost or city, stations popping up right where I'd planned to send a new colonist, or the like.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
More worms means more culture, right? Or was that just one quest reward and now they're a nuisance?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

More worms means more culture, right? Or was that just one quest reward and now they're a nuisance?

They still count as aliens for the 'kill alien lifeforms' assignment we were given.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
But it's a hell of a lot simpler to mow down everything else with Marines. I'm not kidding - our major alien problems are basically gone provided we don't charge into the deepest parts of the alien nests. Those extra 4 points of combat and +15% attack really do work wonders.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the aliens are trivialized very easily and early on with only a few military techs; pretty quickly the main problem with aliens becomes clearing out their nest areas not because the aliens are dangerous but because there's just so goddamn many of them. As nests also spawn aliens at a rate based on how much Xenomass is in the nest if you get a nest cluster of 6 - 9 Xenomass resources then you have the interesting combination of an extremely valuable piece of land that is literally wall to wall aliens.

Sea aliens are something of an exception; human sea units are all artillery style with good ranged attacks and average melee attacks, whereas alien sea units are all melee all the time so if your boats get out of position they can get their poo poo kicked in quite easily. Even so with upgrades eventually your boats can go toe to toe with the alien sea units in melee, it just takes longer.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The sea is always terrifying to me, to the point where I'm sending out whole flotillas to explore. It's one reason why I like to have the "show all coasts" starting option, it means I don't have to waste time and ships scouting out deep ocean where only packs of kracken lurk.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

habeasdorkus posted:

The sea is always terrifying to me, to the point where I'm sending out whole flotillas to explore. It's one reason why I like to have the "show all coasts" starting option, it means I don't have to waste time and ships scouting out deep ocean where only packs of kracken lurk.

Everyone needs to experience 'Why is that aquatic chain of mountains moving?' at least once.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AJ_Impy posted:

Everyone needs to experience 'Why is that aquatic chain of mountains moving?' at least once.

Kraken are target practice once you realize they can't move into shallow water. Pick up scavenging and kraken are nothing but big balloons full of beakers waiting for a needle.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Kraken are target practice once you realize they can't move into shallow water. Pick up scavenging and kraken are nothing but big balloons full of beakers waiting for a needle.

Huh, never noticed that Krakens can't enter coast hexes. That makes things a lot easier. Still have to watch out for Sea Dragons, but those are a lot more manageable in melee by upgraded ships.

Always had to pack hunt with my ships in the one game I played, bringing some LEV units alongside to get them some XP, but I forgot they have poo poo spotting (probably only over water, though) and movement, and needed actual ships so I could see the drat things in the fog when I was hunting them for sweet, sweet beakers. Needed to keep them together too, since the LEVs were so slow but the ships were fast, so by the time I spotted a Kraken and got a LEV into range, it probably moved off and I had to look for it again.

And really, if you've decided to exterminate the aliens, there's no reason not to roll in on them with heavily upgraded units and the virtue that gives you Science based off of the strength of alien units you kill. Is that one Scavenging?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

And really, if you've decided to exterminate the aliens, there's no reason not to roll in on them with heavily upgraded units and the virtue that gives you Science based off of the strength of alien units you kill. Is that one Scavenging?

Yep. I like to leave alien nests intact near my borders if I've picked up scavenging so I can farm them for science.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Yep. I like to leave alien nests intact near my borders if I've picked up scavenging so I can farm them for science.

That's actually pretty smart, but by that time, Wolf Beetles should be pretty minor bumps in Science, unless you pick it up really early, in which case you wouldn't really have upgraded units yet, making it kinda chancy to antagonize the aliens. Sure, the nest spits out a veritable carpet of Wolf Beetles once the aliens go Orange and eventually Red, which is a decent amount of beakers right there, but by the time you actually decide to go all out against them, you should have a fairly developed civ with the accompanying Science output.Every bit does count, but wouldn't it just be better to get the lump Science bonus for exterminating the nest that you get from Scavenging instead of waiting for it in drips and drabs as the aliens spawn and you take them out?

Also, there's the issue of maybe pissing off any of your immediate neighbors by the next with military movements and if they're taking a different stance on aliens as well. And if you do want to expand to the area nearby, you're eventually going to have to clear the nest anyway. Aliens become a nuisance late game, but they can still pick off unprotected civilian units like Colonists...

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
The colony of Freeland has been rocked by controversy as the work of a scientist named Melati in Neo New Zealand's vivarium has come to light.

The Central Planning Committee has promised to announce the government's position soon.

(Continuing the research gives +1 Science from Vivarium buildings, and stopping it gives +1 Food. Who wants to go :science: ?)

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Continue the research. If hybridization was good enough for our Ozzie Rocket Fuel Cider, it should be good enough for the rest of us.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Continue the research. What could possibly go wrong?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Cythereal posted:

Continue the research. What could possibly go wrong?

Good question. We need empirical data! Continue the research!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Continue the research! :science:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Continue the research!

Food will take care of itself.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Continue the research.

You'll find food somewhere else, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Chapter 10: Infiltration

Secure channel confirmed. Beginning transmission.

The Kavithan Protectorate's computational ability is far behind ours, making infiltration both easier and more difficult.

Their research in this area is progressing steadily, and we anticipate a breakthrough soon, though it will be some time before they are able to mount sufficient counterintelligence operations.

Attached, you will find photographs of a massive structure in Mandira that the people call the “gene vault.” It is a massive repository of genetic sequences from Earth, and it is constantly being updated with new ones from the local environment. Observation and interviews with visitors to the site indicate that the gene vault is as much a cultural and religious work as it is a scientific one.

The Slavic Federation and the American Reclamation Corporation have developed close ties. We must keep an eye on this situation.

Domestically, recovery of the technological records of the crashed probe has provided significant benefits to our capabilities.

Thanks to these new treatments, our military should be able to finally reproduce armored tank units. Production of one such platoon is already underway.

Work crews are now tapping the geothermal energy pockets in our territory. With that project complete, research groups have spread their efforts to several different projects, including developing larger and more efficient power systems to handle the new capacity, as well as harnessing the great nutritional and scientific potential of xenomass. Full-scale investigation of the potential of xenocytes has also started, thanks to the blessing of the government.

(This is a Protean planet, meaning most of the world is one giant land-mass, so embarking units is of limited utility. However, this will allow us to improve the Algae near Neo New Zealand. And it only took one turn to research at our current Science output.) :science:

With the completion of an advanced robotic factory in our capital, civilian and military augmentation has seen a dramatic rise.

Thanks to the improvements in combat efficiency, and assistance from Protectorate forces, the military has succeeded in eliminating the second great worm.

...Emergency report. The monastery at Omoikane is under attack by forces of the Kavithan Protectorate and Franco-Iberia. Armored and infantry units are advancing with minimal resistance. Our numbers are insufficient to mount an effective response...

I didn't capture it in the shots, but Franco-Iberia did most of the work, while Kavitha struck the final blow. Expect a Hutama update about this tragedy soon.

Something to keep in mind, perhaps, as we consider our next Virtue. Do we take:

Adaptive Tactics (+50% military unit XP gain), Frugality (+10% Food retained after city growth), Foresight (+10% Science when Healthy), Liquidity (-20% cost to purchase units and buildings), Scalable Infrastructure (+15% Wonder production), or Social Investment (+2 Production from Manufactories)?

Orbs fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 1, 2015

• Locked thread