Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I skipped most of Gilded Vale and went straight for the keep at level 2-3 for most of my party. DO NOT DO THIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Tildryn posted:

For those interested in the changes to guns:

New gun stats

Pistol: Damage 22-30, Speed Very Slow, Range 8m, Interrupt 0.35, DR Bypass 6, Crit Damage Multiplier -0.3, Accuracy -5

Blunderbuss: Projectiles 6, Damage 6-9, Speed Very Slow, Range 8m, Interrupt 0.05, DR Bypass 4, Crit Damage Multiplier -0.3, Accuracy -10

Arquebus: Damage 24-36, Speed Extremely Slow, Range 10m, Interrupt 0.35, DR Bypass 6, Crit Damage Multiplier -0.3, Accuracy -5

Old gun stats (Beta)

Pistol: Damage 28-35, Speed Very Slow, Range 15m, Interrupt 0.35, DR Bypass 6, Crit Damage Multiplier -0.3, Accuracy -5

Blunderbuss: Projectiles 8, Damage 6-9, Speed Very Slow, Range 15m, Interrupt 0.05, DR Bypass 4, Crit Damage Multiplier -0.3, Accuracy -10

Arquebus: Damage 35-45, Speed Extremely Slow, Range 15m, Interrupt 0.35, DR Bypass 6, Crit Damage Multiplier -0.3, Accuracy -5

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Funhating confirmed

Though seriously I wonder how these compare in terms of dps to the other weapons, they might just be in line with everything else now.

Well except pistols were bad before sprobably still worse.

D&D never has good guns. :smith:

Kittykisses
Mar 20, 2009
Not sure if this is a bug or something I did, but for whatever reason I can't select my second party member by pressing the "2" key. I can press the "1" and "3" keys to select my first and third party member respectively, but pressing "2" just selects whoever my first party member is. Pressing "2" in menus (like inventory) switches to my second party member fine, just not in game.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this? I tried resetting my key binds to default but it didn't fix the issue.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Ah, the classic difficult, unexpected boss fight after extensive conversation resulting in TPK and loss of an hours worth of progress. An RPG staple makes its glorious return.

Was that the one against the Guy in charge of Gilded Vale? The guy in the castle?

It was a Motherfucker, took me something like fourteen tries to get it? I can't help but feel I made a mistake, but I got it in the end.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Set up your pause preferences to make the game way easier. I like "pause when enemies spotted" with the additional "stop all move orders" option to go along with it. Much easier to set up an ambush and array your team if you actually bother to stealth around. In fact, stealth around at double speed so it's not as slow and have the auto-pause set to go off when you spot hidden stuff. I think I have it pause when enemies or hidden stuff are spotted, after spells are cast, when people are low on health, when someone's target dies and a few others. Much easier to rock face that way. I'm playing Triple Iron E-Peen King of the Internet mode and I haven't died yet. I'll inevitably die soon though, and when I do, I'll roll a mans on the next difficulty down and be able to see my aoe ranges and have more than one save.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

So, has anyone received their physical rewards yet? The backer portal still says 'Shipping Soon' for me.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I just got to the first town, Gilded Vale. I have enough money to buy a few npc's , but I want some dudes with character. Will I be filling out my ranks (soon) with prebuilts or should I bite the bullet and make a party?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

I just got to the first town, Gilded Vale. I have enough money to buy a few npc's , but I want some dudes with character. Will I be filling out my ranks (soon) with prebuilts or should I bite the bullet and make a party?

You can grab two companions in the Gilded Vale, and another a short while later.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
and for what rreason can i NOT have facial hair as a female hearth orlan?

e: can i change the vocals for one of my characters?

bef fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 27, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Elendil004 posted:

I'm not there yet, but I believe when you get your home base set up, any NPCs you've found or created at the inn will hang around there and can apparently go on side adventures without you or something. I think it would be ok to round your roster out and then ditch the non-plot guys when you meet new story companions.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Had to switch it to normal mode in the temple, I was doing fine until that second level, running with a barbarian main, went back and got a chanter for backup with Eder and Aloth and after losing the same fight to two shades 5 times I'm calling it in. :(

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Had to switch it to normal mode in the temple, I was doing fine until that second level, running with a barbarian main, went back and got a chanter for backup with Eder and Aloth and after losing the same fight to two shades 5 times I'm calling it in. :(

Those Shades are Huge Assholes. Especially if you're doing a Companion Only run and you started with a Wizard.

Wait until you get the fight against four of them at once.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I have admittedly not even loaded the game up yet. I spent the bus ride home from work reading the Collector's Book on my tablet and now I CAN'T PUT IT DOWN. This thing is awesome.

Reminded me of back in 1999, buying Baldur's Gate from the store, ripping the packaging open on the bus and devouring the manual.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
How come I can't level up? I just got past the ritual in the first dungeon and the first log tells me I leveled up but there's no way for me to actually level up.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

How come I can't level up? I just got past the ritual in the first dungeon and the first log tells me I leveled up but there's no way for me to actually level up.

Did you click the little tiny arrow in the top left of your character portrait? I didn't notice it at first.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

graynull posted:

Does Int not scale up chant duration, or is that a bug?

I believe it scales the "linger" duration. Basically chants have two parts, the actual chant, which is always 4 seconds, and then a lingering effect that lasts two seconds at base. A lingering chant still has full effect, it just means it lasts longer after you get into your next chant. It'd kind of suck if the chant itself took longer, because then they wouldn't stack as well, and there'd be a longer and longer delay until you could cast invocations, based on your int. As it is now, it always takes 12 (or 8? depends on if the chant counter goes up at the beginning or end of a chant) seconds to prime an invocation, and you can still have overlapping chants.

FrancoFish posted:

Is anyone else having an audio bug where it starts making this kind of clicking sound rapidly, and doesn't stop until you quit and load? This happens to me randomly, and VERY often.

It's the tutorial scrolls closing. I think it only happens if you have them set to open minimized.

Schizotek posted:

DWARVES ASSSEEEEEEMMMBBBBBLLEEE!!!

Bears!? I'LL SHOW YOU BEARS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR8SkOhKG9Y&t=11s

The deed is done.

Seriously gently caress that bear.

loving glorious.

WarLocke posted:

e: Is there someplace ingame for priests/paladins to see what their dispositions are?

Under the character menu, at the top of the right panel.

E: Unless you mean what their restrictions are, in which case, not sure.

40 OZ posted:

At what level does the wizard get an AOE stun? I got "binding web" just assuming it was like web and the enemies just blew through like 10% slower than normal.

Even if that spell did hold them in the web, christ I have no idea how I would land an AOE attack on charging enemies. The enemies run so fast!!!

There's a level two spell called something like Decaying Grasp, paralyzes enemies in an AoE for like 8 seconds.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 27, 2015

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

I purposefully avoided playing the beta to not spoiler myself. 1 hour in on iron mode, I died to a bear in a cave after the "intro" series.

This is defiantly a kick you in the nuts infinity engine descendant.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Kurtofan posted:

I can't find Maerwald in the keep, do I have to bypass the forcefield?

No.

Walk to where you killed the bandits and make sure search-mode is on. You'll find a hidden object that lets you find him.

I'm still not sure how to get past the forcefield.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
So I made a barbarian (18 might, 10 con, 18 dex, 17 int, 8 resolve, 8 perception). I intended do dual-wield and slice lots of dudes up, but the cleave AOE even with 17 int seems miniscule. most of the time It'll hit one additional mob but thats about it.

Problems with it is that she dies incredibly fast, and no monsters seem interested in killing Eredar first instead of everyone else in my party. So she just gets rocked by everything because her defenses aren't too hot.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of just rerolling, unless theres feats that increase the cleave range because right now it's just not worth it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So apparently my game is suffering from the exact same issue these people are suffering from: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71857-game-constant-freezes-and-voice-delay/

Has anyone else figured out a fix to this?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

DarkStryke posted:

I purposefully avoided playing the beta to not spoiler myself. 1 hour in on iron mode, I died to a bear in a cave after the "intro" series.

This is defiantly a kick you in the nuts infinity engine descendant.

Yep, I saw the bear cave, said "Hey, I'm gonna get me some bear asses!" Walked in like a badass, and two seconds later found out that it was my rear end that was gonna get got :stonk:

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
I'm getting a consistent crash, after going to the Raedric Hold Dungeons I can't go back to the Berath temple, it just hangs at a black screen.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Has anyone else encountered some kind of weird freeze very near the beginning of the game? I just went through the very first dungeon (after the crazy storm) and come out to see a spooky ritual going on, the main ritual guy gives a speech and turns away, walks up a flight of stairs and... stops. Spooky music plays. Spooky music reaches the end. Regular music resumes. The camera is still stuck on the spooky ritual guy, I can't control anything, and nothing is happening.

e: fixed by force-quitting and reloading, but still weird

I also ran into this problem earlier. Reloading didn't work for me, but just letting the dialogue progress on its own instead of clicking next while the guy was still talking made it work for whatever reason.

I'm playing a druid and liking it so far, although I'm not really sure how I should level it up. Is anyone else playing as this? I chose the stag and really like that it turns me into a giant monster stag instead of a boring regular deer.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I haven't paid much attention to pre release buzz. Enjoying the game so far but a few newbie questions/thoughts.

Minor Spoilers

Is this DnD rules where I have to rest to be able to cast spells with my mages again?

First Main Town: I take it I am not supposed to be able to clear that underground church that is under the tree yet? Even going forward a bit, getting the large priest in tow still makes that a really difficult dungeon to tackle.

Endurance seems to be a pretty major hindrance for melee. Playing a rogue at the moment and not having a tank makes this pretty hard.

I am 99% certain I picked backstab at my first level up but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I didn't? But it definitely isn't in my skill bar for my rogue.

I've also seemed to come across a bug with the tool tip closing repeating the closing sound over and over again. Maddening.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
GOTY for opera shark bro.

With all the other modern game design I absolutely do not understand why search was lumped in with stealth which makes you walk slower. Don't say hit speed up because that looks ridiculous, and also generally ends in tears if on a map there are still enemies left. The opportunity cost for finding the best treasure and being able to set up for the next fight is purely tedium and its strange when the rest of the game is about replacing the rest of the worst aspects of IE games with blowjobs.

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Funhating confirmed

Though seriously I wonder how these compare in terms of dps to the other weapons, they might just be in line with everything else now.

Well except pistols were bad before sprobably still worse.

What I'm considering is that it's possible that despite having lower overall DPS compared to a melee build, there are some counterpoints.

A) It's often not that feasible to get your Rogue in range to melee alpha strike in the opening two seconds of combat, not without getting a ton of aggro which is REAL BAD.

B) They seem to have tweaked the AI such that it will actually bother to change targets to ones with lower defenses now, which means that the super-low-defense Rogue can actually end up getting aggro and eaten. The Beta mobs never changed target.

C) Opening with a blunderbuss volley for alpha strike can take a target out of the fight instantly, since it's six attacks immediately, all with the 1.25 bonus of the ability you open with, like Blinding Strike.

D) You don't need to change position with a ranged DPS, for the most part. Which is a few seconds each fight that a melee DPS has to spend moving around.

Whether this makes up for the significantly lower damage...I'm not yet sure of.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I haven't paid much attention to pre release buzz. Enjoying the game so far but a few newbie questions/thoughts.

Minor Spoilers

Is this DnD rules where I have to rest to be able to cast spells with my mages again?

First Main Town: I take it I am not supposed to be able to clear that underground church that is under the tree yet? Even going forward a bit, getting the large priest in tow still makes that a really difficult dungeon to tackle.

Endurance seems to be a pretty major hindrance for melee. Playing a rogue at the moment and not having a tank makes this pretty hard.

I am 99% certain I picked backstab at my first level up but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I didn't? But it definitely isn't in my skill bar for my rogue.

I've also seemed to come across a bug with the tool tip closing repeating the closing sound over and over again. Maddening.

Backstab is a passive ability that triggers when you attack from stealth within 2 meters.

Draconian casting rules are in effect : you get X number of X level spells per day

Rogues have poor defenses, grab Erder the warrior companion, hes right next to the tree in town

The underground church is doable, but not meant to be solo'd at lvl 2 or 3.

There was a fix for the tooltip noise but I don't know what it was, sorry.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I'm playing a druid and liking it so far, although I'm not really sure how I should level it up. Is anyone else playing as this? I chose the stag and really like that it turns me into a giant monster stag instead of a boring regular deer.

Stag druid:

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 27, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tabletops posted:

So I made a barbarian (18 might, 10 con, 18 dex, 17 int, 8 resolve, 8 perception). I intended do dual-wield and slice lots of dudes up, but the cleave AOE even with 17 int seems miniscule. most of the time It'll hit one additional mob but thats about it.

Problems with it is that she dies incredibly fast, and no monsters seem interested in killing Eredar first instead of everyone else in my party. So she just gets rocked by everything because her defenses aren't too hot.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of just rerolling, unless theres feats that increase the cleave range because right now it's just not worth it.

Cleave range is determined by int as does how long your abilities last, so yeah re-rolling might be good.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Edit, beaten to it, nvm.

Though, their answer to one of your questions was incomplete:

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Some spells are per rest, and some are per encounter (as in they regenerate when you leave combat.) It will say on the tooltip.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 27, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Looking forward to getting into this but I am not sure if I wanna buy it now. I have decent expectations for it and I have a feeling it will age well (like BG series) and thus playing it after its gone on sale won't be detrimental in any way.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
The one thing I'm really annoyed by is the lack of party scripting.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tildryn posted:

What I'm considering is that it's possible that despite having lower overall DPS compared to a melee build, there are some counterpoints.

A) It's often not that feasible to get your Rogue in range to melee alpha strike in the opening two seconds of combat, not without getting a ton of aggro which is REAL BAD.

B) They seem to have tweaked the AI such that it will actually bother to change targets to ones with lower defenses now, which means that the super-low-defense Rogue can actually end up getting aggro and eaten. The Beta mobs never changed target.

C) Opening with a blunderbuss volley for alpha strike can take a target out of the fight instantly, since it's six attacks immediately, all with the 1.25 bonus of the ability you open with, like Blinding Strike.

D) You don't need to change position with a ranged DPS, for the most part. Which is a few seconds each fight that a melee DPS has to spend moving around.

Whether this makes up for the significantly lower damage...I'm not yet sure of.

I've been using guns on my rogue to open fights before switching to melee weapons. It's working fairly well so far.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My steam download is stuck at 6 GB of 7.2 GB. The game is installed but none of the pre order bonus stuff:( Boo.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Is it worth it to pick up a hireling once you hit the Black Dog Inn? Or will I have a full party of actual companions pretty quickly?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Alectai posted:

Hey, has anyone gotten to The questline where you're going after the lord who's been killing everyone around the first town because of not cleaving to the One True Faith and finishing it?
I dunno if you're still stuck but I found the best way to get past that fight was to just avoid the conversation entirely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0bsbHZyW3c

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is there a way to change character portraits after creation? If not, can you add one, ropekid?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Why is the map screen so dark? Seems like an odd decision.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Anyone else having the dialog jump ahead and skip the first few words and start mid syllable? It's weird and didn't start until after I gained control of my characters. The dialog at the start was fine but everything since then has been buggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Upmarket Mango posted:

Did you click the little tiny arrow in the top left of your character portrait? I didn't notice it at first.

Do you have to rest to level up? It's still not there.

• Locked thread