Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Right, but with a month of service time already logged, there was never a real choice to be made. If Pederson was coming into this year with a clean slate like Bryant is, he'd probably be in the same boat right now.

Of course there was a choice to be made. It was a choice that the Dodgers made last year when they promoted Pederson, and a choice that the Cubs made last year when they did not promote Bryant. Both teams were fully aware how that month of service time would affect their players moving forward. The rules didn't suddenly change this offseason, and the Dodgers aren't being forced to start Pederson because of their own foolishness or misunderstanding of the rules. What's the problem here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Right, but with a month of service time already logged, there was never a real choice to be made. If Pederson was coming into this year with a clean slate like Bryant is, he'd probably be in the same boat right now.

They wouldn't have brought him up in September in the first place if they hadn't already decided that they weren't going to manipulate his service time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Nope. In a tightly contested NL Central I'd want my best team out there from day 1, and worry about paying Bryant later since I'm in an organization whose worth is $1.8 billion

Yeah if you would sacrifice a full year of team control so you can have a player for an extra two weeks on a team that, best case, will finish with about 82 wins, you're a loving moron.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers didn't have to bring him up last September. He only got 38 PA's in 18 games after having a monster year at AAA.

They could have kept him down to preserve service time, but chose not to because presumably they wanted him to get exposure in order to improve his development. The team chose to prioritize Joc's immediate contribution at the major league level over extracting an extra year of control over his prime.

They did this because they're actually trying to win now, and because the financial gain from the potential delay is not that significant since they have deep pockets.

edit: beaten by two quality posters

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I absolutely despise the service time gently caress gently caress games the Mets play so anything or anybody that is working to end those stupid rules have my vote.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

theacox posted:

What everyone is forgetting in this whole argument is gently caress The Cardinals.

MATHENY: Son, we live in a world that has Cubs, and those Cubs have to be guarded by men with bats. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Hank the Brewers Dog? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Kerry Wood, and you curse the goat. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That the Cub's misfortune, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me winning that division, you need me winning that division. We use words like honor, code, the Cardinal Way. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very Cubs-Free World Series that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bat, and knock the Cubs out of the wild-card race. Either way, I don't give a drat what you think you are entitled to.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
In lighter news, the Marlins had a hot dog sandwich eating contest for season tickets.

V: Marlins

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

vegeta dentata posted:

In lighter news, the Marlins had a hot dog sandwich eating contest for season tickets.

V: Marlins

This will cause a roughly 1,305 page derail, but I don't consider hot dogs "sandwiches".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Retail Slave posted:

This will cause a roughly 1,305 page derail, but I don't consider hot dogs "sandwiches".
It better not have had ketchup...

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

there's a new place by me that makes a mean hot dog sandwich. i always get mine with kraut, swiss and russian dressing on rye. usually i ask to sub in corned beef for the hot dog.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

theacox posted:

What everyone is forgetting in this whole argument is gently caress The Cardinals.

I like the Cardinals and think they are a cool team in an okay city and when they win it makes my mom happy and she is a nice lady who helped raise me and loved me even when I was being a shithead which was a lot so go Cardinals except when they're playing the A's which pretty much never happens so this isn't really a conflict and hey maybe learn how to use a dang bullpen Mike Matheny.

Tom Gorman posted:

there's a new place by me that makes a mean hot dog sandwich. i always get mine with kraut, swiss and russian dressing on rye. usually i ask to sub in corned beef for the hot dog.

this is a very convoluted method for ordering a usually readily available sandwich!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

MourningView posted:

nevermind, go back to talking about labor law

pay your players George money you cheap loving pricks

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

theacox posted:

And the best fans in baseball also

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

Brady Aiken underwent Tommy John surgery on Wednesday.

Last year's No. 1 overall pick left his first outing with IMG Academy last Thursday with an arm injury, and now everyone's worst fears have been realized. Aiken, of course, didn't sign after being picked by the Astros but had a shot to again be the No. 1 pick in 2015.
Does the gif cover mlb futures as well

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Tom Gorman posted:

you guys ever think about how maybe, like, the hot dog is just being held back by the man, man?

like, maybe it just wants be treated like all the other more seasoned sandwiches out there, you know?

hell, maybe the hot dog even deserves to be treated like the other sandwiches.

i dunno, think about it, you know?

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Retail Slave posted:

Yeah if you would sacrifice a full year of team control so you can have a player for an extra two weeks on a team that, best case, will finish with about 82 wins, you're a loving moron.

I sure do wish we had Trout the first couple weeks in 2012 instead of Vernon Wells. Angels finished 5 games back from the wild card. I don't think service time mattered, but it wouldn't have mattered because he played his rear end into a contract in his pre-arb years.

If your young players are looking like a beast, bring them up. If they are beasts, lock them up.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I saw 100 new posts and thought another pitcher had broken.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
e: eh whatever, it petered off quickly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quest For Glory II posted:

I say yes.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

tatankatonk posted:

MATHENY: Son, we live in a world that has Cubs, and those Cubs have to be guarded by men with bats. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Hank the Brewers Dog? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Kerry Wood, and you curse the goat. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That the Cub's misfortune, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me winning that division, you need me winning that division. We use words like honor, code, the Cardinal Way. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very Cubs-Free World Series that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bat, and knock the Cubs out of the wild-card race. Either way, I don't give a drat what you think you are entitled to.

"Did you trade for Lou Brock"

"I did the job I"

"DID YOU TRADE FOR LOU BROCK"

"YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID"

Monicro fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quest For Glory II posted:

It did last season but I can't find a player mugshot for Aiken that's gif-quality.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Monicro posted:

"Did you trade for Lou Brock"

"I did the job I"

"DID YOU TRADE FOR LOU BROCK"

"YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID"

It was just bad luck. Ernie Broglio was the future. :colbert:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

David Ortiz owns

quote:

They’re on me for my flair now. “Papi, how come you walk around the bases so slow when you hit a home run? How come you flip your bat like that? Don’t you think that’s disrespectful to celebrate?”

Yeah, I’m gonna have fun. It’s who I am. I just hit a baseball 500 drat feet. I grew up in the gutter and now I’m out here in front of the world living my dream and you all want me to feel sad? I can’t do it. I’m here to bring joy to this game.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Actually, he's an overrated steroid abusing rear end in a top hat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Man sports hating on celebrating is the absolute dumbest thing.

How dare this man who went from nothing to being a huge star enjoy the fact that he did a thing that us judging him could never do in front of thousands of fans who love his poo poo.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Crion posted:

Of course there was a choice to be made. It was a choice that the Dodgers made last year when they promoted Pederson, and a choice that the Cubs made last year when they did not promote Bryant. Both teams were fully aware how that month of service time would affect their players moving forward. The rules didn't suddenly change this offseason, and the Dodgers aren't being forced to start Pederson because of their own foolishness or misunderstanding of the rules. What's the problem here?

My issue is that people are drawing comparisons between the two like their situations somehow parallel one another and they really don't.

We don't know what a Friedman/Zaidi FO would've done with Pederson last year, and we don't know what the Cubs would have done last year had they been in a position to play meaningful games in September. Acting like the Dodgers are doing right by Pederson right now by not leaving him in AAA until the middle of May is pretty silly, though.

More broadly, I just don't really like framing the argument that way since it seems like it muddles the problem, which is not that the Cubs are (uniquely and specifically at least) a bunch of jerks acting in bad faith and the solution is to simply emulate the Dodgers, but that the rules reward teams who pull this poo poo when they're in position for it.

Disclaimer: I don't give a particular gently caress about either of these teams, or any team in the NL for that matter. I'm just :spergin:

e: actual news and not just my dumb nitpicking: Brady Aiken had TJS. I wonder what this means for his draft position.

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 27, 2015

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
"I grew up in the gutter and now I’m out here in front of the world living my dream and you all want me to refrain from smashing the dugout phone with a bat? I can’t do it."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be fair you probably literally can't stop him from that no

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Man sports hating on celebrating is the absolute dumbest thing.

How dare this man who went from nothing to being a huge star enjoy the fact that he did a thing that us judging him could never do in front of thousands of fans who love his poo poo.
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous how we've gotten to this place now. Baseball in particular. It does seem like there has been a lot of friction as clubhouses have become more diverse. I'm more hopeful of the younger group of players coming up who look at guys like Puig and Jose Fernandez though.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the worst was the ny media flipping out on lastings milledge for high-fiving a bunch of fans after a walk off. they really, really, really took offense to that for some reason.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

theacox posted:

Basically this. I just know it's going to come down to the last day of the season again to see who wins the NLC.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Abel Wingnut posted:

the worst was the ny media flipping out on lastings milledge for high-fiving a bunch of fans after a walk off. they really, really, really took offense to that for some reason.

That owned and its a shame Lastings wound up busting.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Retail Slave posted:

It was just bad luck. Ernie Broglio was the future. :colbert:

Kinda like Kris Bryant. Makes you think.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

I will always call him PED User David Ortiz, but The Players Tribune has been pretty good considering how it sounded like the dumbest thing in the world when it was announced.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

100+ unread posts, something cool must have happe--...

nope.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

davecrazy posted:

That owned and its a shame Lastings wound up busting.

The gently caress he did. He's an all-star with the Yakult Swallows!

e: Craptacular, are you sure you're not Mike Petriello, because you sure like aping his dumb points.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

emptyquote

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SporkOfTruth posted:

The gently caress he did. He's an all-star with the Yakult Swallows!

e: Craptacular, are you sure you're not Mike Petriello, because you sure like aping his dumb points.
ummmmm what?

I've had a general distaste for the vast majority of Craptacular posts the last few years, while also considering Petriello one of the better baseball bloggers out there. They aren't similar at all.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Haha nope :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

NiceGuy posted:

Haha nope :smug:

He's still looking for the real killer who got him on the busted steroid list A-Rod was on.

• Locked thread