Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

General Battuta posted:

I think you have forgotten something important :v:

I think he is just asking if he can ask. Without sneaking in the question ahead of time.

soulfulspinster, yes, it is fine to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Phantom should have just had 3 attack dice instead of 4.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I agree, even to the extent that I think it's ridiculously overpowered in the EU fluff. The thing has (if I recall correctly) five laser cannons. Considering the large power requirements of generating a cloaking device, I don't really see how you'd get that many laser cannons on the thing without it running out of juice within five seconds.

Maybe it's the Imperial version of the F-35 :v:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Absolutely. Four red dice on top of that crazy maneuverability and bonus green dice for cloaking is just nuts. Hell, I'd even say that they're underpriced for three attack dice.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The X-Wing should get a modification that gives it 4 Red Dice. Call it Advanced Linked Firing or something ridiculous. Then it might actually be worth the price.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I think it's pretty likely we see an X-Wing title sometime soon, maybe XJ or T-65AC4. Don't think it'll be a primary weapon boost though I guess there's some fluff justification with stutter fire of the lasers?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

New faq. https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/47/23/47235202-b9a8-413f-91be-24b40de724dc/xwingfaq_v30.pdf

Cloaking changes.

Edit: phantoms are now where they need to be.

alg fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 26, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I like the cloaking changes, but they still only affect units with barrel roll/boost. I think EU will be very useful now.

Also, another thing, the Firespray card has been confirmed as a misprint.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Loads of people asking 'why did the phantom get nerfed' in the UK facebook group

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Strobe posted:

There's a guy around here who won at least two store championships with an 86 point list. Whisper and Fel, no support ships.

Just quote this to them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Funnily enough, someone did :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Can someone explain the phantom changes to me because I am a big dumb baby.

And also I never owned one, so I have no idea what the difference is.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Endman posted:

Can someone explain the phantom changes to me because I am a big dumb baby.

And also I never owned one, so I have no idea what the difference is.

Previously:

Phantom player waits during Activation phase until his Pilot skill comes up. Decloaks with the 2 template. Then executes his maneuver.

Now:

Activation phase begins. All ships that are cloaked decloak in PS order. Then you go through the phase revealing maneuvers.

This gives ships that can barrel roll, boost, etc. a chance to react to the Phantom.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Thanks, alg.

This way seems a lot fairer, in my opinion.

Endman
May 18, 2010

How good would Arvel Crynyd + A-Wing Test Pilot + Chardaan Refit + Intimidation be at taking out Phantoms now?

The idea being you ram them, reduce agility with Intimidation and use Arvel's pilot ability to shoot them, all for just 23 points.

The only problem I can see is that the A-Wing only gets 2 Reds, but that could be alleviated by shoving on some missiles. Maybe even Concussion Missiles for that 4 Red + changing a blank to a hit to maximise on the -1 Agility from Intimidation.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So decloaking is now mandatory?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PJOmega posted:

So decloaking is now mandatory?

they may spend a token. not mandatory

susan
Jan 14, 2013
So now that it's at the beginning of rounds, does that mean that Cloaked ships with Ion tokens now have the option to decloak?

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

susan posted:

So now that it's at the beginning of rounds, does that mean that Cloaked ships with Ion tokens now have the option to decloak?

They could always decloak as it's not an action or a manoeuvre but they couldn't cloak again.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...
Cue Phantoms becoming the ultimate blockers. Whoops I just decloaked into the spot you wanted to move into and now I'm zipping away from you.

Kill_Discussion fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 27, 2015

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

EdBlackadder posted:

They could always decloak as it's not an action or a manoeuvre but they couldn't cloak again.

They decloaked when you revealed your dial, which you don't do when ionized.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I see this change taking a lot out of the Phantom's game. Now they have to make the call to decloak and WHERE to decloak before they know where lower PS pilots are going to be. Then once they've committed, those lower score pilots have an idea of where the Phantom is going to end up and can try to jiggle into position to shoot it. Most of the time I see Phantom pilots using 1-hard maneuvers, so they'll have to vary that up or risk being too predictable.

I think this is the Phantom nerf we've been waiting for, once it spreads into general circulation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Orvin posted:

I ordered the Plano case listed in the OP for holding my new growing addiction. Does anyone have a suggestion for some foam to order to keep the ships from rattling around in the partitions? I probably would just let them float around, but since the case has to be flipped to get at the other half, they are going to get banged around a bunch.

Incidentally, I'm thinking of changing that recommendation...It's fine when you're starting out, and is still a very serviceable case...but if you're like me and collect 2-3 of everything (sans Huge ships), it starts becoming inadequate fast.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am actually disappointed since now I can look forward to tons of 4BZ and interceptors. But, I'll still try Fat Han for the first regional.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Did I see correctly that these changes don't go into effect until 4/15?

Also, what playmat changes were there in the tourney rules? I keep getting a error 403 when I try to view it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

If playmats are used, only official FFG X-Wing™ Playmats are allowed. This is to guarantee a consistent experience for players and prevent any advantage players may gain from familiarity with a particular map.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
That smacks of lovely cash-grabbing. Is a featureless piece of black neoprene I got for $20 considered a "playmat" for purposes of this rule?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Carteret posted:

Did I see correctly that these changes don't go into effect until 4/15?

Also, what playmat changes were there in the tourney rules? I keep getting a error 403 when I try to view it.

That's what the news article says. Kinda sucks, I have a local tournament this Sunday and would rather face the new Phantoms

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Proofreading is hard.

The New FAQ posted:

Touching and Stationary Maneuvers
If a model begins its activation touching another ship and executes a [0] maneuver (or executes a maneuver that does move the ship away), the ships are considered touching.
Once ships touch, they're touching forever! :downs:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

Incidentally, I'm thinking of changing that recommendation...It's fine when you're starting out, and is still a very serviceable case...but if you're like me and collect 2-3 of everything (sans Huge ships), it starts becoming inadequate fast.

It looks like it only really fails at storing more than 2 large ships. Other than that, it seems to make a good first storage case. If anything, maybe update the OP to include a second larger case, but leave the first one as a good middle size collection case.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Unless you're moving house, I don't see why you'd want to cart around your entire collection anyway. Just chuck everything on a shelf and just take the ships you're using to play.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Endman posted:

Unless you're moving house, I don't see why you'd want to cart around your entire collection anyway. Just chuck everything on a shelf and just take the ships you're using to play.

You got the right idea. I have the coolest cube at the office. I just make a squad or two and grab the ships when I need them as I leave work.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

g0del posted:

Proofreading is hard.
Once ships touch, they're touching forever! :downs:

I ended up on the wrong side of this in my last tournament while being wrong about it and it cost me the game, funnily enough. That particular ruling changed a couple FAQs ago with no fanfare at all, and I casually suggested to my opponent in the first round that he'd probably be best off during a given maneuver using Inertial Dampners on Xizor to get a shot on one of my A-wings that had bumped. He blew it out of space. I lost the game by 12 points at time, over 60 minutes later.

Sportsmanship. :negative:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

I use it to store my space ships because I don't want to decorate my living room with (more) Star Wars poo poo and it's a great case. It currently stores all three factions with their tokens and dials. I'm super glad I have it. It's just not going to hold two Falcons or Decimators anytime soon with all the other big ships and bases hogging up space.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Endman posted:

I take my entire collection most of the time I go for casual play. A store near me has a casual league on Friday nights, and I don't go with super competitive lists prepared. I'll usually throw one or two lists together at the start of the evening, and then build a new list to replace one I use. Keeps it varied, keeps it fun. It's also proved useful when I got asked to join a Team Epic game, because I had everything there to build a list on the spot.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dunno if anyone recommended this yet but this box is a pretty great upgrade for when you outgrow the double sided box in the OP.

Plenty of space for multiples of the large ships with room to spare for future waves.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So you can boost/barrel roll through other ships as long as you clear it? We've been boosting/barrel rolling where you couldn't let the maneuver template hit anything either.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CODChimera posted:

So you can boost/barrel roll through other ships as long as you clear it? We've been boosting/barrel rolling where you couldn't let the maneuver template hit anything either.

yup. You can also decloak through ships as long as you clear. Just not obstacles.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You can also boost or barrel roll off the board, something I've seen people think wasn't allowed. There are no safety restriction for them aside from asteroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

ZachAttack posted:

I think he is just asking if he can ask. Without sneaking in the question ahead of time.

soulfulspinster, yes, it is fine to ask.

Okay well. I'm looking for people in the South Florida area. Specifically east coast.

• Locked thread