Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

Is it spoiler times yet?

OH gently caress THAT'S NEXT.

Also, I just realised and I'm totally not ashamed, but when i type "wiki" into my address bar the first two auto suggestions are, in order, "wikipedia list of doctor who audio plays by big finish" and "wikipedia list of doctor who serials"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LEGO Genetics posted:

Is it Gaiman times yet?

Yes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Republican Vampire posted:

Although granted how dire his previous work on time traveling adventure is, that's probably for the best.

I thought Making History had some potential, but given how well-ploughed the kill / prevent birth of Hitler furrow is you really need to be bringing something else great to the table to make it stand out, and a lukewarm gay romance isn't enough.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Curse of the black spot is a weird episode for me, because any time I watch it, I enjoy it.

But I will always skip over it during re-watches.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BSam posted:

Also, I just realised and I'm totally not ashamed, but when i type "wiki" into my address bar the first two auto suggestions are, in order, "wikipedia list of doctor who audio plays by big finish" and "wikipedia list of doctor who serials"

And thank the gods for both of those pages, which I would consistently be totally lost without.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In which the TARDIS goes through a Bonham-Carter phase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctor%27s_Wife

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

So I take it you guys liked it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

So I take it you guys liked it?

Occ enjoys Gaiman, in moderation.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This is a good episode that I like.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think this is some of Gaiman's good stuff. Some of his quirks really benefit the material.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

This is Toxx's best review yet!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Is this where you break out the S rank Occ?

Don't claim there isn't an S rank. I know you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Is this where you break out the S rank Occ?

Don't claim there isn't an S rank. I know you.

If not here, there isn't one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Since Neil Gaiman is always about a year late for his deadlines, we probably should have counted this as a season 5 episode. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Since Neil Gaiman is always about a year late for his deadlines, we probably should have counted this as a season 5 episode. :v:

This was originally going to be a season 5 episode but they had to move it to season 6.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I seriously think this might be the best single episode of the entire revival :shobon:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a great episode that's also heavily steeped in Doctor Who lore and immensely satisfying to lifelong show viewers, but does so in a way that's natural and emotionally satisfying.

It's a pity they had to cut a lot of the episode for both time and budget. Mainly time, I think. Planet of the Rain Gods.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

I seriously think this might be the best single episode of the entire revival :shobon:

It really is

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

It is very definitely in my top 10, along with The Eleventh Hour, Vincent and the Doctor, Midnight, and Don't Blink. It's hard to tell where I rate it within those episodes, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's definitely a contender for my favourite standalone episode.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's my personal favorite, although I bet Occ and I are of equal minds on how it relates to Blink and I fully expect some variant on "because while Blink is such a wonderfully constructed episode I didn't relate to it as much as I wanted to, while with episode du jour I did." Seriously I feel like I've read that sentiment almost as many times as Rory's died so far.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So I'm reading the last results and HOLY gently caress I'M IN THE LEAD!! :supaburn:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
People say this episode is bad. Those people are so beyond wrong it's not even funny.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Jerusalem posted:

I could probably come up with one or two other candidates depending on my mood but my answer would usually default back to this one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Way back during the Midnight review, I said it was tied with one other episode for my favorite episode of the revival. The other one was this one.

Both episodes take the psyche behind their particular Doctors and then drown the episode with it. Both disconnect The Doctor from the convenience of TARDIS travel and ask him to slowly crawl back to making things right. Both have an invisible antagonist whose disembodied nature only makes them creepier. But of course the Ten episode is full of misery and despair and the bullshit mindgames he normally pulls on the muggles fails completely, and the muggles die for him. That works because those are Ten's themes. Whereas the Eleven episode is full of bravado and when death itself claims to have him cornered, he says "It is actually I who have YOU cornered, so gently caress YOU" and then normalcy is restored while triumphant music plays. That works because those are Eleven's themes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

also the tardis lady is hot

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

GonSmithe posted:

People say this episode is bad. Those people are so beyond wrong it's not even funny.

It's one of those episodes that would have been absolutely awful in the wrong hands, but is fantastic in the right ones.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I remember not thinking much of the episode and finding it instantly forgettable, maybe a bit too much Gaiman and not enough Who - and I'd liked Gaiman long before finding Who. For those who say it's one of the best episodes - what am I missing?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaiman doesn't resonate with you maybe? He's definitely not for everyone, and his schtick can wear thin if you've been over-exposed to it. That said:

It's like a really well-made plate of scrambled eggs. Yeah it's not going to rock anyone's world unless they were pretty sheltered, parochial, and provincial to begin with, but it's still a great example of how to take a seemingly basic recipe (an amusing self-contained episode of a genre show) and elevate it with raw craft.

I mean look at how everyone jizzes over who plays The Joker in live action even though his character is deliberately vague with massive room for creative interpretation-- same basic principle.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Gaiman doesn't resonate with you maybe? He's definitely not for everyone, and his schtick can wear thin if you've been over-exposed to it. That said:

It's like a really well-made plate of scrambled eggs. Yeah it's not going to rock anyone's world unless they were pretty sheltered, parochial, and provincial to begin with, but it's still a great example of how to take a seemingly basic recipe (an amusing self-contained episode of a genre show) and elevate it with raw craft.

I mean look at how everyone jizzes over who plays The Joker in live action even though his character is deliberately vague with massive room for creative interpretation-- same basic principle.

It could be overexposure - I was a devoted reader of his works (comic, prose) up until Anansi Boys, did not like the Coraline film, and haven't read anything he's written since. I even liked the BBC production of Neverwhere which had the production values and associated charm of old Who (what I've seen of the latter at least.)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There really isn't any part of you that might be able to appreciate it on a raw production level? Collaborative creation is seriously hard work on any scale, and while "The Doctor's Wife" wears its derivative nature on its sleeve like all of Gaiman's work it also manages to land almost every emotion it seeks to evoke via its writing, sets, acting, editing, and camerawork while expanding a 50 year-old canon in new and unexpected directions. Sometimes playing a pretty good but overtly familiar song without missing any notes is greater than playing a virtuoso and wholly original song but screwing up the key because it's so drat difficult.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus, corridors.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

There really isn't any part of you that might be able to appreciate it on a raw production level? Collaborative creation is seriously hard work on any scale, and while "The Doctor's Wife" wears its derivative nature on its sleeve like all of Gaiman's work it also manages to land almost every emotion it seeks to evoke via its writing, sets, acting, editing, and camerawork while expanding a 50 year-old canon in new and unexpected directions. Sometimes playing a pretty good but overtly familiar song without missing any notes is greater than playing a virtuoso and wholly original song but screwing up the key because it's so drat difficult.

I don't remember the production being anything better than other good episodes of new Who? The main cast was fine, but they've all done better. Also, I don't get why people like the guest actress, she seemed like she was just doing a Helena Bonham-Carter imitation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

monster on a stick posted:

I don't remember the production being anything better than other good episodes of new Who? The main cast was fine, but they've all done better. Also, I don't get why people like the guest actress, she seemed like she was just doing a Helena Bonham-Carter imitation.

Maybe Helena Bonham-Carter is secretly a TARDIS? :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

It's not about what they do, it's more about what they don't do, if that makes sense. Sometimes the best performances aren't the show-stoppers or the big attention-grabbing moments of intensity or deep emotion, it's the subtle recognition of how far to sell a moment in service of a greater whole, and this episode shows an extremely deft touch in that regard-- you could gladly see more of almost every character or concept they throw out but you're never left with so little as to feel cheated or unsatisfied. You are right that the guest actress was definitely channeling Helena Bonham-Carter, but remember what I said about how this episode wears its derivative nature on its sleeve?

Again it's not a perfect episode of television, but it's a drat good one in the same way a nice simple well-made stew is a good meal. Sometimes nailing the staples is more important than reaching to be the ultimate.... whatever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This one was always really nasty to me because it was never clear whether House was creating an illusion, or if he used his new TARDIS-time-fuckery-abilities to create an version of Rory that actually went through that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love when the Doctor comments that House is "so much smaller on the inside", it says basically everything you need to know. Idris' comment about how humans are "so much bigger on the inside" is already a neat inversion of the usual,"Companion enters the TARDIS for the first time" thing, so to then have the Doctor establish clearly how much lesser the great and powerful House actually is really hits home.

During their final confrontation, I love how the Doctor keeps casting glances towards Idris, it's clear he is waiting for her body to die because he knows House stands no chance against the actual TARDIS on her own home ground. He really sells the agony of knowing it's necessary but not wanting it to happen, and all of that happens in brief little moments inbetween keeping up his bluster towards House so it doesn't realize what is about to happen to it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I ended up liking this one a less on rewatch. It's still good, but it's a bit too... theatre? For my liking. There's something overwrought about it.

It may just be that I'm not enjoying Gaiman translated to the screen, though I got on just fine with Mirrormask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I thought Making History had some potential, but given how well-ploughed the kill / prevent birth of Hitler furrow is you really need to be bringing something else great to the table to make it stand out, and a lukewarm gay romance isn't enough.

The whole thing was just him saying that the whole Great Man thing is dumb and that the anti-semitism and political radicalism of interwar Germany was bound to turn into something toxic, which was his way of grappling with the enormity of it and with the profound effect it had on his family.

Which is fine. It just doesn't make for a good book.

• Locked thread