Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's especially funny since she's not involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TVGuide always does that clickbait-ey stuff.

It's useful for finding out what shows are new each day, but they always have that and really spoilery article titles.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Party Plane Jones posted:

Ali Larter must have been sleeping with a head writer because having three separate roles on the tv series after two character deaths just smacks of favoritism.

I don't know if we ever heard who her patron on the staff was, but basically all gossip at the time said she had dirt on/the ear of somebody in charge. Allegedly, the reason that her on-screen husband just up and died in season two was because she and he didn't get along backstage and that someone took her side in that scuffle, killing his character and tossing him on his rear end.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

One of the major problems with the show was that the writers wrote themselves into numerous corners because they created too many characters with absurdly overpowered abilities, resulting in everyone being incredibly dumb as a way to avoid "why didn't x just use their power y to fix problem z".

So their way of having a fresh start in Heroes Reborn is to... get the time traveller and the guy who can make anyone do anything? Christ why did they let Tim Kring come back? One assumes this is the kind of stupidity a competent show runner would avoid.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Shakugan posted:

So their way of having a fresh start in Heroes Reborn is to... get the time traveller and the guy who can make anyone do anything? Christ why did they let Tim Kring come back? One assumes this is the kind of stupidity a competent show runner would avoid.

It wasn't the time travel that was so bad, it was the fact that his easiest, most low-level ability was stopping time, so even the most tense and dangerous situations could be solved by him blinking his eyes and fixing things while no one could move.

He was probably the most likable character from the last show, but the only reason he wasn't unstoppable was that he was timid and didn't have any confidence. They can't write him to have any character growth whatsoever, or they'll be back to "why didn't Hiro just stop time and take the gun away?"

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I don't know if we ever heard who her patron on the staff was, but basically all gossip at the time said she had dirt on/the ear of somebody in charge. Allegedly, the reason that her on-screen husband just up and died in season two was because she and he didn't get along backstage and that someone took her side in that scuffle, killing his character and tossing him on his rear end.

The way he was killed was one of the most mean spirited things the show ever wrote (the other one I can remember right now is how they killed off Adam, the villain from season 2). He was shot in the season1 finale, but he survived that, and was killed in a club, for no reason, with the music from the NEDM meme was playing in the BG.

Phenotype posted:

It wasn't the time travel that was so bad, it was the fact that his easiest, most low-level ability was stopping time, so even the most tense and dangerous situations could be solved by him blinking his eyes and fixing things while no one could move.

He was probably the most likable character from the last show, but the only reason he wasn't unstoppable was that he was timid and didn't have any confidence. They can't write him to have any character growth whatsoever, or they'll be back to "why didn't Hiro just stop time and take the gun away?"

Which is why Hiro never moved any towards future badass Hiro, which made me feel ripped off. There is only so much of manchild Hiro I could tolerate. This is turning into a glorious trainwreck.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Valeyard posted:

There's been some lovely minor casting recently that wasn't worth posting. But..

http://deadline.com/2015/03/masi-oka-cast-heroes-reborn-hiro-nakamura-1201400097/

:flashfap:

I was just thinking the other day about how popular Masi Oka got thanks to Heroes (mainly season one) and then just had his career completely dry up once the show vanished. At least Sylar and Hayden Panetierre were able to springboard from Heroes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I was just thinking the other day about how popular Masi Oka got thanks to Heroes (mainly season one) and then just had his career completely dry up once the show vanished. At least Sylar and Hayden Panetierre were able to springboard from Heroes.

There aren't a lot of roles for Asian men in Hollywood beyond Kung Fu Master and random diversity side character, unfortunately. Especially compared to charismatic white guys and hot young women.

e: Maybe it's time to Chang this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

What else can they really do with him? They've already done the 'discovers powers thing', and the 'loses powers' thing. The character's not that interesting.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It turns out the whole show is an alternate reality caused by one of Hiro's fuckups!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

Maki Osa went directly from Heroes to Hawaii Five-0 though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't he actually a special effects artist and the acting stuff just a side project for him?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He hasn't had an effects job since Heroes started.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Maki Osa went directly from Heroes to Hawaii Five-0 though.

I... guess that actually is a step up.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

FlamingLiberal posted:

What else can they really do with him? They've already done the 'discovers powers thing', and the 'loses powers' thing. The character's not that interesting.

I hope they make him turn retarded again.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like how most of the returning actors haven't really done anything since the show was cancelled. I was hoping that they'd take some inspiration from Alphas and just have a group of agents and heroes dealing with new ones but I don't think that's the direction they're going.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Dresh posted:

I hope they make him turn retarded again.

No, that was Peter. Hiro was just a huge pussy anytime they needed him for anything.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Phenotype posted:

No, that was Peter. Hiro was just a huge pussy anytime they needed him for anything.

Peter's power was morphing from nice guy to douche and back depending on the needs of the plot.

And I'll say I like Maki Osa on Hawaii 5-0. It's no leading role in your own tv show or major movie franchise, but it's not a bad part. They bumped him up to regular now, though it's no surprise, as Hawaii 5-0 is like the US version of Law and Order UK in that it seems to be a witness protection program for genre actors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To be fair, Masi Oka isn't really lead caliber.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Phenotype posted:

Except when he had amnesia, or a child mind, or brain cancer

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

I like how most of the returning actors haven't really done anything since the show was cancelled. I was hoping that they'd take some inspiration from Alphas and just have a group of agents and heroes dealing with new ones but I don't think that's the direction they're going.

The actor who plays Nathan showed up on Agents of Shield (which got a lot better at the end of it's first season, it was pretty bad until then), and man, it's interesting seeing him actually seeming a part again.

Man they had no idea what to do with that character on Heroes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gaunab posted:

Why can't a good show like Alphas get a second chance?

Heroes turned into the biggest piece of poo poo since season 8 of Dexter but it gets to hang off Marvel's coattails and come back.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

The actor who plays Nathan showed up on Agents of Shield (which got a lot better at the end of it's first season, it was pretty bad until then), and man, it's interesting seeing him actually seeming a part again.

Man they had no idea what to do with that character on Heroes.

The Nathan Petrelli actor played the president on Political Animals (the miniseries Sigourney Weaver did a few years back that was basically the first season of House of Cards before House of Cards aired).

Actually on the topic of Nathan it always really bothered me that throughout season 1 he's explicitly stated as running for the House of Representatives, and then from season 2 on it's said he had run for the senate instead. That was the first time I realized that the show's writers were not actually good at continuity or plotting or even basic memory.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that bugs me about Nathan is how quickly he ditches his wife and kids to hang out with Claire.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Heroes turned into the biggest piece of poo poo since season 8 of Dexter but it gets to hang off Marvel's coattails and come back.

You know another show about metahumans that was a clusterfuck most of the way through and still ended up better than Heroes?

The 4400 :colbert:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

I would be 1000x times more behind this if it wasn't Kring in the driver's seat again.

Honestly the concept is solid, and viable in today's climate. Absolutely. Some good TV has come off of crazes; hell Star Trek only came back as a franchise, literally, because an executive went "What do we have that can tap the Star Wars crowd?" There's nothing wrong with salvaging the franchise. You could even be clever, if you wanted, and just time-travel out season 2 & 3 entirely from ever happening and start with a blank slate. (If they're smart, given Hiro is back, they might do this anyway).

But with the same idiot driving the car, I can only picture it going over a cliff again. Some fresh blood could have turned this around.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Not just the same idiot driving, he's bringing back half the original cast of mediocre dills.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

But with the same idiot driving the car.

I don't think their bringing back the Nissan Versa.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
NISSAN VERSA?!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Wonder if the miniseries will have enough time for Kring to meltdown again?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Wonder if the miniseries will have enough time for Kring to meltdown again?
It's already happening, look at the cast

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Honestly, I like Parkman and Hiro and Noah Bennett. So I'm fine so far, just don't goddamn bring Ali Larter back, for the love of Christ.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I would be shocked if this wasn't bad with maybe the occasional glimmer of promise. As mentioned above, if there were new people working on it, sure, but the same terrible idea man who ran it the first time is back and it seems unlikely he's gotten any better.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Honestly, I like Parkman and Hiro and Noah Bennett. So I'm fine so far, just don't goddamn bring Ali Larter back, for the love of Christ.

God I hope the plot is like a cloning accident on Ali Larter so theres like 6-7 of them on screen at all times even in just random background/landscape shots.

Android Blues posted:

I would be shocked if this wasn't bad with maybe the occasional glimmer of promise. As mentioned above, if there were new people working on it, sure, but the same terrible idea man who ran it the first time is back and it seems unlikely he's gotten any better.

I'm mostly confused how they expect it to compete with stuff like Agents of Shield or more importantly Arrow and the Flash. Other than the obvious problem, other shows just move so fast with development of their characters, core narrative and plot. Nothing is dragged out to the level of Heroes. I mean season 1 was something I really enjoyed and look back fondly on but I don't know how they can try can compete other than just being on a major network.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 1, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yessssss we are getting The Haitian back http://deadline.com/2015/04/heroes-reborn-jimmy-jean-louis-the-haitian-casting-1201406098/ :supaburn:

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Who was this again? I seem to have forgotten

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

thanks alot assbag posted:

Who was this again? I seem to have forgotten

He was Claire's dad's partner - he had various powers including a power suppression ability they never really did anything with.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

Ravel posted:

He was Claire's dad's partner - he had various powers including a power suppression ability they never really did anything with.

Aaaaaaaannnd you totally missed the joke since The Haitian's other power was memory wiping

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they will use him to memory-wipe Season 2 and 3 in the new continuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Valeyard posted:

Maybe they will use him to memory-wipe Season 2 and 3 in the new continuity

Maybe they will use him to turn the show into Misfits season 5.

• Locked thread