Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Sartorius posted:

Their list in the first post says they're going up to Super Mario 3D World, but who knows if they're going to continue to play every Mario game like they've been doing with the Sonic ones.

I do hope they tackle Mario Maker and Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)
Part 14/14 (LP pt.91) [Youtube]

Jack Gladney posted:

ILLUMINATI SISTER PLAYER FOUR
I understand why you want this.... But no.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

19LettersLong posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You guys are awful at this. You didn't even TRY to collect all 7 chaos emeralds. This is the WORST.

9.5/9.6

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
loving fiiiiinally. I liked what little I've played of this game, but watching this LP might've made me hate it now.

I'm guessing there are still more side games before Mario 64, but I am so glad to see you guys move on.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
You guys should have just ended there when you 'beat' the game and started to play something like Silent Hill for the rest of the video.

that would have been the best thing

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad you're done, if only because you've been on this game for so loving long jeez guys

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If the next video is Mario 64 and not Super Mario RPG, I'm writing my congressman. :colbert:

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I've been conflicted in the past. I've always disliked playing Yoshi's Island, but the people who really love it had me half convinced that I was the one at fault.

No longer. Yoshi's Island is a bad game.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

El Generico posted:

I've been conflicted in the past. I've always disliked playing Yoshi's Island, but the people who really love it had me half convinced that I was the one at fault.

No longer. Yoshi's Island is a bad game.

It doesn't help that it seems built from the ground up for completionists, which Mario has always indulged but never appealed to exclusively.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
While I do think that this LP made Yoshi's Island look like more of a slog than it is (and I should clarify here that I totally get that Kyle and Keith are smart people, and I think them missing things in videos is more due to the whole doing commentary and having a conversation at the same time thing, which is totally legit), I have to agree after watching it that the levels are sometimes a little long and/or have too few checkpoints. Oh well; at least it was more fun to watch than it was for them to play!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Good to see Yoshi's Island was as neat as I remember.

Hopefully Kyle and Keith can derive some fun out of their next game. Because if it is Mario 64, I sure as hell didn't. Ugh

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It doesn't help that it seems built from the ground up for completionists, which Mario has always indulged but never appealed to exclusively.

I played the game on GBA, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Many of the levels are puzzles, and that appeals to me. I can see why people who just want to play a mario run and jump platformer wouldn't like it, though.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Lemur Crisis posted:

While I do think that this LP made Yoshi's Island look like more of a slog than it is (and I should clarify here that I totally get that Kyle and Keith are smart people, and I think them missing things in videos is more due to the whole doing commentary and having a conversation at the same time thing, which is totally legit), I have to agree after watching it that the levels are sometimes a little long and/or have too few checkpoints. Oh well; at least it was more fun to watch than it was for them to play!

was it

I'm excited to see y'all move on at long last. Mario 64 should be more fun for you guys

... right? ...

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Good job guys, now you can finally know happiness again.

There's a twist here though, huge spoilers follow. These aren't Mario and Luigi's parents, the stork hosed up and Yoshi has to get them to their proper parents in Yoshi's New Island. Making this whole game even more pointless.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Great. Now on to the best Mario game ever.

Tetris Attack.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Here's a reason Yoshi's Island owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np-3rPJZ9t4

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

You guys called the final boss music awful.
I'm literally shaking.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Yoshis Island is an excellent game for children because it's easy enough for them to reasonably complete, and also because children have an absurd patience for slogging through bad or boring sections of games, and lastly the collection elements may compel them to keep returning until they've completed everything.

Adults on the other hand do not have the time or patience for any of this.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

I'm literally shaking.

Have you tried therapy if two guys on the internet's opinion sends you to fitting?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Have you tried therapy if two guys on the internet's opinion sends you to fitting?

Irony on the internet??? What???

Loved all the "gently caress this game!"s though, that was a magic moment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dresh posted:

Good job guys, now you can finally know happiness again.

There's a twist here though, huge spoilers follow. These aren't Mario and Luigi's parents, the stork hosed up and Yoshi has to get them to their proper parents in Yoshi's New Island. Making this whole game even more pointless.

A fitting end emblematic of the entire experience of playing through the game, IMO.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Stink Terios posted:

I'm literally shaking.

I think they called the SNES's soundfont used for the song awful, not the song itself. And it definitely is. It's been discussed ad nauseum, but when the SNES chip shines it really shines, and when it doesn't it's really bad. All of its worst sounds always sound like they're adding a really quick second note for every note that plays.

Luckily some wicked sweet dude fixed that for us with the soundfont that song needed.

Actually, this makes me think about the series from this point. Besides a few exceptions they never really get this heavy with their music anymore (or at least not this kind of heavy), which is a bummer.

But yeah guys, definitely give Majora's Mask 3D a shot. It's such a great improvement over the original between streamlining the problems that made the original tedious as well as adding a few twists to familiar ground, which is way more than I can say for OoT3D. MM3D turned two of the worst bosses from the original into easily two of the best in the game (and possibly the series).

Now they just need to give Link's Awakening some more love. :colbert:

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 31, 2015

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Oh dear lord that's just soooo much better.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

While I still think the SNES soundfount works just fine, this is loving incredible.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Freedom, horrible horrible freedom!!

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I'm beginning to think that Kyle and Keith have just been incredibly unlucky throughout Yoshi's Island. Even the guides they end up using for it are really bad.

I mean, did it really say that door three was the easiest of the four?

Maybe there should be a bonus episode demonstrating this "easier" path for the sake of posterity.

Koushirou
Nov 4, 2009

Wow, what a difference. That track sounds goddamn amazing.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

omg this is so much better i love this now

yeah i had no real beef with the composition it just really sounded like they were trying to do something that was beyond the scope of the snes chip and it was real garbo

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Man, I'd have far more enjoyed watching you guys go through Super Mario RPG all the way than this all the way.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

Cosmic Afro posted:

Man, I'd have far more enjoyed watching you guys go through Super Mario RPG all the way than this all the way.

Yeah, well, see, you say that, but...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Half a year or so ago I thought you'd either get used to the game's slower paced approach or quit it around world 3. Watching you brute force through the rest of it made the Yoshi's Island apologist in me reconsider the game's flaws.

Also...

...I thought the original version was okay, but this? This is glorious.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hey good news guys

They added a "babby mode" for Yoshi's Wooly World. Hopefully you don't get stuck!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Episode 15/14 made me watch that dumb DBZ movie. Not enough fighting at all. Totally the worst Mario game there is.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

19LettersLong posted:

I understand why you want this.... But no.

drat it, I was praying for you guys to end up in Door 3. That poo poo's hilarious.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I just want to say that your tries at King Kai's voice easily made up for all of Yoshi's Island

Definitely watch more Dragonball Z in the future

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Let's Watch Infinity Years of Dragon Ball Z

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)
Part 1/3 (LP pt.92) [Youtube]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

YOSHI'S ISLAND SUCKS COCKS IN HELL I--

Oh god, I'm so sorry about that. I still can't believe it's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm gonna be honest, I could never get into this game, I didn't get to play it until the Wii's Virtual Console due to it never coming out in the PAL regions until then, so it was well after Paper Mario 1 and Thousand Year Door had come and gone, so when I finally played it, I just felt very underwhelmed from all the hype I'd heard from it over the years, compared to Paper Mario it felt very clunky and slow.

• Locked thread