Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Maybe give the thread the title of episode 8? It's called "Severance." There are few pretty vague, but possibly spoilerish reviews here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm hoping between now and the air date for the second half of season 7 that there will be a season/series recap.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

robot roll call posted:

Congratulations on perfectly distilling Pete Campbell's voice into text formatting.

Thanks, just trying to convey Kartheiser's performance. The dialogue itself is wonderful, but it's his seething and barely concealed contempt that really make Pete such a joy to hate.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Maybe give the thread the title of episode 8? It's called "Severance." There are few pretty vague, but possibly spoilerish reviews here.

I saw The Hollywood Reporter's full review earlier today, and they made mention of "Is That All There Is" as a recurring motif. Peggy Lee's album was released in November of '69, so if we aren't starting in a new decade we're right on the brink.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 25, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I just started a re-watch of the last season, and got to the point where Joan is talking to the professor to deal with the Butler's shoe guy. I guess I was just not paying attention, because I didn't realize when the professor asks if she has anything to trade, Joan immediately thought he was asking for a sexual favor. Her realization that he's just a giant nerd and wants data to use for his research makes her reaction funnier.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mad Men's Final Season - A Shameful, shameful day.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
Mad Men - With you or without you I'm moving on.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Max posted:

I just started a re-watch of the last season, and got to the point where Joan is talking to the professor to deal with the Butler's shoe guy. I guess I was just not paying attention, because I didn't realize when the professor asks if she has anything to trade, Joan immediately thought he was asking for a sexual favor. Her realization that he's just a giant nerd and wants data to use for his research makes her reaction funnier.

I also liked the small tribute to Lane, as she understands and can explain the difference between commissions and fees.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Apparently Jon Hamm went to rehab for alcoholism recently

quote:

Mad Men star Jon Hamm has recently completed a course of treatment for alcoholism, a spokesperson for the actor has confirmed.

Hamm entered rehab to tackle his addiction with the support of his longtime partner, fellow actor and film-maker Jennifer Westfeldt, their publicist Annett Wolf said in a statement released on Tuesday.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wonder if he is eligible for workman's comp.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Mad Men: Pete's Pregnant

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You know, he's always been able to play drunk so, so well. I wondered how he nailed it so well. Sad that it turns out its through personal experience.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone in NY check out the Museum of the Moving Image Mad Men exhibition yet? Worth going to?

Also if I wore a suit would I be able to take a picture in Draper's office?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Max posted:

You know, he's always been able to play drunk so, so well. I wondered how he nailed it so well. Sad that it turns out its through personal experience.

Method acting

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Max posted:

Sad that it turns out its through personal experience.

I mean, that's not necessarily true. This could be a recent thing, surely?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone in NY check out the Museum of the Moving Image Mad Men exhibition yet? Worth going to?

Also if I wore a suit would I be able to take a picture in Draper's office?

I didn't know about this and I'll happen to be in NYC in mid-May, so I'm going to try and see this. Thanks, man!

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Steve2911 posted:

The report I read said he has struggled with drinking since the death of his father in the 1990s. :(

Also, that he apparently really pushed for Don's drinking to be shown as destructive.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Mad Men Final Season - A Very Sensitive Piece Of Horseflesh

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

Getting to the point of admitting yourself to rehab usually has a long build up, unless you have a very shallow bottom.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
It doesn't sound as extensive as the exhibit at the Museum of the Moving Image, but Don Draper's gray suit, hat, and a Sterling Cooper bar cart will be on display as part of the permanent collection at the Smithsonian Museum of American History.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 26, 2015

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

twistedmentat posted:

I think the last army to execute people for desertion was the British army in ww1...
Eddie Slovik was the last deserter executed by the US, in WWII. There's an INCREDIBLE book about him that was a bestseller in the 60's, http://www.amazon.com/Execution-Private-Slovik-William-Bradford/dp/1594160031.

I have nothing else valuable to add to the thread except goddamn I miss the show now and will miss it more in 8 weeks.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I've just started a (probably futile) attempt to storm through every episode from Season 1 onwards, and the difference in fresh-faced Draper/Hamm from the early episodes to now is much less pleasant to think about knowing Hamm's problems with alcohol.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If you haven't seen it yet, great double interview with Matt Wiener and Sally-I-Can't-Spell-her-real-name:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/fashion/growing-up-on-mad-men-a-conversation-with-matthew-weiner-and-kiernan-shipka.html

It's amazing how grown up she is for a 15 year old!
This must be what the fans of the Harry Potter movies felt like.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Squashy Nipples posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, great double interview with Matt Wiener and Sally-I-Can't-Spell-her-real-name:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/fashion/growing-up-on-mad-men-a-conversation-with-matthew-weiner-and-kiernan-shipka.html

It's amazing how grown up she is for a 15 year old!
This must be what the fans of the Harry Potter movies felt like.

Holy crap, I thought she was like 17 now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know he went through a few different actors, but is there any other behind the scenes reason that Bobby got so much less screen time and plot importance than Sally? I mean, Sally's great, but it always struck me as odd that one of Don's kids is a major character and another is an occasional footnote.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Steve2911 posted:

I know he went through a few different actors, but is there any other behind the scenes reason that Bobby got so much less screen time and plot importance than Sally? I mean, Sally's great, but it always struck me as odd that one of Don's kids is a major character and another is an occasional footnote.

Earlier in the show Bobby is given more to do, and it seems to me that originally he was probably going to the child focused on more, but Sally is just such an amazing actor, and Bobby has been changed so much, it seems silly to focus on him and take time away from anyone else.

We've had the occasional episode where he gets more to do, like when Don realises he does love him, but it's never been much.

I don't really feel like we're missing out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, as the younger child in a divorce I can definitely say that the older sibling usually has a much more dramatic story. Bobby was just too young to have these events really mean something to him in any overt way. Sally was old enough to have it change her.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
To some degree it's also just nice having another girl's voice on the show, particularly when you consider how much it focuses on Don's own issues with women and now he has to go about dealing with a daughter who can see right through him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe the writers just found they could get more mileage out of the Sally-as-recapitulation-of-Betty (complete with smoking mannerisms!) story than out of trying to show Bobby as some kind of counterpoint to Don or whatever.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

^^Oh, hey, in the time I wrote this, you both said pretty similar things.^^

feedmyleg posted:

Also, as the younger child in a divorce I can definitely say that the older sibling usually has a much more dramatic story. Bobby was just too young to have these events really mean something to him in any overt way. Sally was old enough to have it change her.

The age is definitely a factor, I think you're right. Which is also, I think, why Bobby's relationship to Henry is more like that with a father. There's that scene where Bobby tells Don he's afraid Henry will get shot; Henry's been a consistent father figure since Bobby was...what, 6 years old? He probably barely remembers Don living on Ossining, as if Don was even home often when he did.

Aside from Kiernan Shipka being absurdly strong as an actress, though, I have a different thought as to why her role is bigger: most of her plots are set against Betty, and they're often gender-specific because of it. Betty is constantly assailing Sally for "unladylike" behavior, and Sally's constantly needing to confront her about it. It works as an exploration of changing sexual mores in the 60's, which you really couldn't do as effectively with Bobby even if he was older.

Not that there's nothing to say about Bobby's experience as a boy...Don is a poo poo role model when it comes to how he treats women, and that could be interesting. But a young female perspective on the late-60's is probably the more interesting one, dramatically.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Don't worry, we are working on resetting that clock right now!

In the earlier seasons they kept changing Bobby's actor, presumably because they couldn't really find one that "fit". Sally's actress always just sort of "fit" so it makes sense as the show progressed that they'd write more for her.

Plus a young girl at the cusp of womanhood is going to be a lot more interesting during the Sexual Revolution than a young boy at the cusp of manhood. I think they probably originally meant for there to be more parallels between a literal boy growing into manhood and an emotional child confronting adulthood. Thankfully, Mad Men can lay the themes on thick without going to that level. At that point, may as well reveal that Rodger Sterling is Rod Sterling and have him submit the series for our approval.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think Bobby also just started out younger, so his progression as a character is less interesting where he was compared to where Sally started out.

I think they landed on a good actor for him at this point though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Max posted:

I think Bobby also just started out younger, so his progression as a character is less interesting where he was compared to where Sally started out.

I think they landed on a good actor for him at this point though.

He had the episode with the field trip, and we all saw him becoming a future goon (talking about favorite movie monsters to an adult, trading food for jelly beans). That's enough.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Matinee posted:

I've just started a (probably futile) attempt to storm through every episode from Season 1 onwards, and the difference in fresh-faced Draper/Hamm from the early episodes to now is much less pleasant to think about knowing Hamm's problems with alcohol.

To be fair, he is also like nearly a decade older too, regardless of the drink.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Red posted:

(talking about favorite movie monsters to an adult)

"We're having a conversation!" :haw:

He's so happy that his own mother is talking to him. Poor, poor Bobby. He's going to have middle child syndrome something fierce.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Matinee posted:

I'm doing one of these too. I just wrapped up season 4 and man Stan used to be a huge rear end in a top hat. I'm glad he found weed and mellowed out.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Just finished a rewatch of the entire series. I forgot how awesome Jim Cutler is and how great the episode is where everyone is on stimulants. A lot of people I know seemed to lose interest after season 5, but the last 2 seasons are so good. I'm gonna miss this show. As dumb as it would be, I don't know if I'll be satisfied if we don't get a Six Feet Under/Parks and Rec finale.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have a theory that we've entered an era of TV where people watch shows for :tviv: moments and Mad Men doesn't have shocking character deaths, or huge major twists that make people go HOLY poo poo!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really enjoy the show because there isn't much else on the air like it. It's a basic character study done extraordinarily well.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I have a theory that we've entered an era of TV where people watch shows for :tviv: moments and Mad Men doesn't have shocking character deaths, or huge major twists that make people go HOLY poo poo!

You're not wrong. The Walking Dead continues to rake in cash season after season despite being mostly terrible.

Though, there are times where I worry about being pegged as "an snobby, elitist Mad Men fan".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

twistedmentat posted:

Lane's death was pretty shocking!

• Locked thread