Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Icept posted:

"A stuntman who isn't allowed to read the script" is a pretty dead on description for the GTA IV missions. I still feel like the game was worth playing, and got better with the DLC.

The missions are easily the worst part of the GTA franchise as a whole. They really should embrace the incredible sandbox world they created to propel the game's narrative instead of awkwardly shuffling into "linear corridor shooter" mode every time you play a mission. It's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
That video was right on when it complained about invincible enemies and heavily-scripted missions. All we had to do was follow the drat train, CJ!

Some of the set pieces work well, though. Like the canal mission in San Andreas that referenced Terminator 2.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't know if I should sell my PS4 copy for 40 bucks and get the PC version or not :ohdear:.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr E posted:

I don't know if I should sell my PS4 copy for 40 bucks and get the PC version or not :ohdear:.
Are you playing GTA Online with your PS4 copy? Your character transfers over to the PC version with rank, money, apartment, etc. intact.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

LLCoolJD posted:

All we had to do was follow the drat train, CJ!

I figured that out on my first try. "Oh hey, if I ride a bit further away, he actually has a shooting angle."

GTAIV was the first GTA I never completed, after having sunk hundreds of hours into GTA3/VC/SA, getting 100% completion in all of them.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It was 2 weeks before release the last time they delayed it too.

But no you're right, it would be suicide for them to delay it again at this point.

This Rock Paper Shotgun article says it's out on the 18th :suicide:

It's worth noticing that most of the RPS writers are UK based. God I hope they don't do the "Game releases at the end of the week because retail" poo poo.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Songbearer posted:

It's worth noticing that most of the RPS writers are UK based. God I hope they don't do the "Game releases at the end of the week because retail" poo poo.

Game retailers in the UK just need to loving burn.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Steam still lists it as the 14th in the UK so let's just hope RPS hosed up or something.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress. When steam switched currencies GTA V was $75NZD (that's fine, close to $60USD), and I just went to pre order and it's $92. What a freaking joke.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Songbearer posted:

that sure is a RPS article, alright

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Honest Thief posted:

that sure is a RPS article, alright

Selectively taking obvious cariacatures seriously just so you can take offense is a loving disease in 2015.

E: For transparency, it's all the more annoying when the issues described are legitimate, but taking offense at an obviously exaggerated cariacature to 'expose' them is just loving stupid. It's like watching Dumb & Dumber, laughing, leaving the cinema then getting on your blog that complaining the plight of the intellectually challenged isn't being adequately represented.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 31, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I was going to at least partially agree that the GTA series tends to ignore or marginalize women, then I got to this part:

quote:

loving Trevor. Id like to think hes a self-aware projection of the super-id of everyone whos ever played GTA, summoned by Rockstar as the ultimate ironic comment on their decades-long charting of the crinkled borders of obscenity. But thats bollocks. He operates more as an unrestrained power fantasy for unhinged misogynists. With no meaningful humanity to latch on to he cant tell us anything about ourselves, which leaves him useless as a signifier of anything except the pleasure of violence and the immediate satisfaction of destructive impulses.

I dont want to play GTA as Trevor.

gently caress this guy. But it gets better...

quote:

And yet as well as hating GTA V I also love GTA V. Because while I dont want to play as Trevor, I would quite like to play as a cloud.

Oh wait sorry, didn't realize he was autistic.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are you playing GTA Online with your PS4 copy? Your character transfers over to the PC version with rank, money, apartment, etc. intact.

I guess I will, buying a game on three different things is normal, right (PS3,PS4,PC)?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Shockeh posted:

Selectively taking obvious cariacatures seriously just so you can take offense is a loving disease in 2015.

E: For transparency, it's all the more annoying when the issues described are legitimate, but taking offense at an obviously exaggerated cariacature to 'expose' them is just loving stupid. It's like watching Dumb & Dumber, laughing, leaving the cinema then getting on your blog that complaining the plight of the intellectually challenged isn't being adequately represented.

You're taking poorly written clickbait too seriously.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

60FPS PC trailer coming Thursday at 10AM Eastern :dance:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

King Vidiot posted:

Oh wait sorry, didn't realize he was autistic.

Find a little in-game peyote and he can play as any random animal he desires. It's perfect for him!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Clitch posted:

I figured that out on my first try. "Oh hey, if I ride a bit further away, he actually has a shooting angle."

GTAIV was the first GTA I never completed, after having sunk hundreds of hours into GTA3/VC/SA, getting 100% completion in all of them.

I refuse to believe anyone actually bothered to find all 200 pigeons, let alone the other 100 or whatever from the DLC.

Even just getting twenty-five drug wars in Gay Tony was horrible, and shooting people and having car chases is the actual fun part of the game.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I was going to at least partially agree that the GTA series tends to ignore or marginalize women, then I got to this part:

quote:

...He operates more as an unrestrained power fantasy for unhinged misogynists. 
Seriously? Michael cheats on his wife and is responsible for the death of at least one woman. Franklin is stalker-level obsessed with his ex, also strippers.

Trevor on the other hand kills one woman alongside her partner, and even threatens the male online protag with rape but not the female, but he's the misogynist?

There are a lot of things you can accuse Trevor of being. There's also a valid case for saying the writing / game is misogynist, but you'd have to have either not played the game, or not understand the word misogynist to target Trevor specifically.

He's an equal opportunities bastard. Everyone is treated equally unfairly.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

I wonder if they'll say what specs it was recorded on, because if GTA4's port was anything to go by they'll need to have used a Cray computer to render it :v:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

That all being said and agreed with, I did feel massively unclean most of the time I was playing as Trevor, and not in a "Ooo, it's neat how my morals are being put to the test here" way, but in a "I'm too uncomfortable to be having fun as this character right now".

In my head canon, Trevor makes out like a bandit after that one final score and then dedicates his life to honest real estate work, scenic air tours of San Andreas, and always helping strangers get their wallets back.

But really that's only because the only thing stopping me from taking anything aside from the Death Wish ending is because it locks out the content that it does, and I don't like not having all the toys in a sandbox game.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

That all being said and agreed with, I did feel massively unclean most of the time I was playing as Trevor, and not in a "Ooo, it's neat how my morals are being put to the test here" way, but in a "I'm too uncomfortable to be having fun as this character right now".
For me those two moments were the weird estate agent 'gently caress my wife' sequence and killing Wyatt's cousin. After the comedic tone of the build up, the lack of payoff made the end to both sequences feel incredibly awkward in the first case, and coldly uncomfortable in the second case.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

circ dick soleil posted:

You're taking poorly written clickbait too seriously.

I'm more annoyed it's on RPS - Either they've (temporarily or otherwise) had a moment of vanishing inside their own anuses, or they're actively courting clickbait. I actually pray it's the former, because I've come to expect better from there.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Trevor's actor was on Better Call Saul last night, basically playing Trevor. Maybe a little more restrained.

And I don't care if all the characters are terrible people because it's a video game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Trevor's actor was on Better Call Saul last night, basically playing Trevor. Maybe a little more restrained.

And I don't care if all the characters are terrible people because it's a video game.

He also played a creepy locksmith who snuck into a woman's apartment on Broad City. Someday he'll get those dreamy leading man roles!

And then of course there's Michael's actor appearing in an anti-gun ad, which apparently made gamers' heads explode and reality to bend and warp.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

I kinda feel this is the point of Trevor. In real life, he would be an awful awful monster of a human being. You have the thin veneer of the fact he's a fictional character to protect you from the fact he does some very uncomfortable things. Steven Ogg also delivers a terrific performance where he can be an unredeemable piece of poo poo in one minute, and sympathetic in the next.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

After the comedic tone of the build up, the lack of payoff made the end to both sequences feel incredibly awkward

GTA 5.txt

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I just beat the FOLLOW THE drat TRAIN mission in GTA: San Andreas in four attempts, establishing some kind of world record, I think.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Songbearer posted:

I just beat the FOLLOW THE drat TRAIN mission in GTA: San Andreas in four attempts, establishing some kind of world record, I think.

It's actually easier if you go up a ramp and land on the train than trying to do it the way the game wants you I've found.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Shockeh posted:

I'm more annoyed it's on RPS - Either they've (temporarily or otherwise) had a moment of vanishing inside their own anuses, or they're actively courting clickbait. I actually pray it's the former, because I've come to expect better from there.

RPS disappeared up their own asses a couple of years ago. Somewhere between Gone Home and the PAX kerfuffle.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I didn't think the train mission in San Andreas was hard. I didn't even know what the hell people were talking about with the whole "all you had to do was follow the drat train CJ" line because I didn't remember ever hearing it. I'm pretty sure there was a path to the right of the train you could ride on and give Smoke a clear shot.

Now the missions for Zero on the other hand, THOSE were lessons in frustration that took me way too many attempts to pass. All of them, not just the RC airplane one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
gently caress those RC chopper missions holy poo poo I forgot those existed until just now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Clitch posted:

RPS disappeared up their own asses a couple of years ago. Somewhere between Gone Home and the PAX kerfuffle.

Ever since it became the John Walker + Alec Meer zone. Seriously, all those two do is create horrible pretentious clickbait that's not worth reading.

Which is sad as they do have a few good writers too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Master Twig posted:

I didn't think the train mission in San Andreas was hard. I didn't even know what the hell people were talking about with the whole "all you had to do was follow the drat train CJ" line because I didn't remember ever hearing it. I'm pretty sure there was a path to the right of the train you could ride on and give Smoke a clear shot.

If I remember correctly you're meant to do some ramping to use the alternate path alongside the track so Smoke gets a clear shot. The reason for the difficulty is (along with being shot constantly as you do all of this and the bad guys having stupidly massive health bars for dudes in wifebeaters) you're not given any warning when the path suddenly changes and you need to make a jump, and the jumping in GTA has always been a matter of precision regarding steering and speed in order to avoid coming up too short or too far on the landing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CJacobs posted:

gently caress those RC chopper missions holy poo poo I forgot those existed until just now.

I left them until the absolute end of the game, once I'd done every other mission and had nothing better to do. I was like "Okay Zero, I've pulled off a loving Ocean's 11 heist, I own property all over the state of San Andreas and I'm a multi-millionaire with connections out the rear end. I guess I have time to come fly your stupid loving planes".

I can't believe Rockstar didn't learn their lesson after that horrible RC helicopter mission in Vice City. I was really hoping for more of that since I loved it so much the first time... said nobody ever.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I love all the RC missions. They're fun and good. The only exception is the PS2 version of the San Andreas biplane mission because it was pretty RNG based with the low fuel limit. The only thing that annoyed me was not being able to buy the RC vehicles as weapons you could drop and then control.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

chitoryu12 posted:

If I remember correctly you're meant to do some ramping to use the alternate path alongside the track so Smoke gets a clear shot. The reason for the difficulty is (along with being shot constantly as you do all of this and the bad guys having stupidly massive health bars for dudes in wifebeaters) you're not given any warning when the path suddenly changes and you need to make a jump, and the jumping in GTA has always been a matter of precision regarding steering and speed in order to avoid coming up too short or too far on the landing.

Maybe the one thing I did that others didn't is I ALSO shot at them. I always had an SMG by that point and I did drive-by shooting to help out Smoke. Hell, I think I usually killed more of them than he did. Could be that's the difference.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Can anyone who has bought a PC version from Green Man Gaming comment on whether or not this is a Steam Code?

I know that Steam is not listed and Rockstar Social Club is, but I figured that once you registered the version with Rockstar Social Club they might give you the option of DRM platform. Thanks.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Can anyone who has bought a PC version from Green Man Gaming comment on whether or not this is a Steam Code?

I know that Steam is not listed and Rockstar Social Club is, but I figured that once you registered the version with Rockstar Social Club they might give you the option of DRM platform. Thanks.

Not a chance. If you've bought it from GMG then you'll get a code to download it via RSC. There's no way they'll give you a Steam copy as well.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

K8.0 posted:

I love all the RC missions. They're fun and good. The only exception is the PS2 version of the San Andreas biplane mission because it was pretty RNG based with the low fuel limit. The only thing that annoyed me was not being able to buy the RC vehicles as weapons you could drop and then control.

The last RC mission in San Andreas was really cool. I wish GTAO had a mode to make everything tiny like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Master Twig posted:

Maybe the one thing I did that others didn't is I ALSO shot at them. I always had an SMG by that point and I did drive-by shooting to help out Smoke. Hell, I think I usually killed more of them than he did. Could be that's the difference.

It's been awhile but couldn't you literally only shoot directly ahead or to the exact right/left on motorcycles in GTA:SA? I mean unless you jumped the ramp and landed on the train but then you could just get off and shoot them anyway.

Man, SA was so good though. I remember blowing off missions to spend time going to the gym, buying clothes, betting at the track or just riding my bike around the city, and then doing the exact same thing in San Fierro and Las Venturas :3:

• Locked thread