Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

SlipUp posted:

Wouldn't really be a problem if those two franchises knew how to draft. :shrug:

*presses rewind on self* *presses play* That still doesn't explain why comp picks should exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

football fuckerman posted:

*presses rewind on self* *presses play* That still doesn't explain why comp picks should exist

It's totes unfair for Seattle to only have one chance a year to get an all pro defensive back in the fifth round.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Yessssssssssssssssssssss

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol the Ravens, Patriots, GB, and Seattle all getting extra comp picks....

Same playoffs as the last 5 years. Makes sense bro. :agesilaus:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
They should just amend it to:

These are the scenario's in which you get comp picks*

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

* - Unless you made the play-offs, gently caress dynasties.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
All the good teams get extra draft picks cause they drafted good.

Ok makes sense. Have a good day.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Look folks, if RGIII and I agree on something, well, you know we're onto something here

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I also agree, and say that despite rooting for a team that's gotten 3rd round picks the last two drafts for rental players

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

A Man and his dog posted:

All the good teams get extra draft picks cause they drafted good.

Ok makes sense. Have a good day.

Why should lovely teams be rewarded for making GBS threads all over themselves in the draft and then signing a bunch of free agents

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SA2K posted:

Why should lovely teams be rewarded for making GBS threads all over themselves in the draft and then signing a bunch of free agents

i agree, give neither good or bad teams comp picks. get rid of comp picks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SA2K posted:

They shouldn't, they should just have an 8th round of the draft.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Alouicious posted:

i agree, give neither good or bad teams comp picks. get rid of comp picks.

Yes

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SA2K posted:

Because there are new regimes all the time, and at this rate the draft is such a crapshoot that having multiple picks in comp selections, especially 3 and 4s, really make the playing field uneven.

Comp picks never made sense to me, and poo poo like the Charles clay contract show why. He's not eligible for a comp pick bc we transition tagged him... Meaning we could have had him On our roster if we paid out the nose. Kinda like New England having the option on revis... But here we are. No fundamental difference, but the system is so flawed it helps only one of the two teams

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
NFL only pretends it wants parity what it wants is Americas Team winning every year! How bout dem Cowboys! Um wait this didn't make any sense.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Because there are new regimes all the time, and at this rate the draft is such a crapshoot that having multiple picks in comp selections, especially 3 and 4s, really make the playing field uneven.

Comp picks never made sense to me, and poo poo like the Charles clay contract show why. He's not eligible for a comp pick bc we transition tagged him... Meaning we could have had him On our roster if we paid out the nose. Kinda like New England having the option on revis... But here we are. No fundamental difference, but the system is so flawed it helps only one of the two teams

To be fair, the "not picking up the roster bonus" gimmick getting you a comp pick doesn't make a lot of sense, but on the other hand that so many teams seem to not use it is utterly baffling. They should go away, but it's baffling how some teams exploit it so well and others just don't bother. Everyone knew the Dolphins should have pulled the tag from Clay so they'd get a comp pick, but they didn't. That's not on the comp pick system, thats on the dolphins being idiots.

That the Patriots will get an extra 3rd because of the Revis rental though is just so loving absurd that although I love it I can't defend it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Well yeah, teams that draft well getting extra picks is just as stupid as giving poorly run teams extra picks to waste. Comp picks are stupid no matter who gets them

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Is it even a guarantee Revis is going to net a comp pick? I know OTC thinks they will but there's not a ton of history around declined team options and there's no documentation on exactly how comps are awarded, correct?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WHOOPS posted:

Is it even a guarantee Revis is going to net a comp pick? I know OTC thinks they will but there's not a ton of history around declined team options and there's no documentation on exactly how comps are awarded, correct?

It's not guaranteed, but I believe they found a specific case of a declined team option netting a comp pick. I think it's public who a comp pick is associated with.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol. Nobody is saying bad teams should get extra draft picks....

But it's pretty drat stupid to give good teams extra draft picks because they drafted well with the comp picks they GOT......

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

next you jerks are going to make fleecing idiot teams out of their draft picks with hilariously one-sided trades illegal :argh:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Spoeank posted:

I got so excited when I saw he made it to Alexandria. Great finale.

A day late but it's my birthday and I can do what i want-

:golfclap:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
*looks at the Bengals comp picks this year* nah I think comps are cool

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can the Bengals please just win a playoff game before my grandmother dies....

She lives in CIN.

Also that steakhouse on the river owns.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Why can't your grandma die and help us out Angels in the Outfield style?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Because Andy Dolton loving sucks.

Also your WR corp has bad feet and sucks?

:greenangel:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think the original intention of comp picks was to level the playing field of smaller market teams, but at this point no one in the NFL can honestly say they can't compete financially.

Instead the systen rewards teams like Green Bay who invest heavily in scouting and don't overpay as a philosophy, or teams like the patriots who have figured out how to game the system. Having competent front offices should be its own reward.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

evilweasel posted:

To be fair, the "not picking up the roster bonus" gimmick getting you a comp pick doesn't make a lot of sense, but on the other hand that so many teams seem to not use it is utterly baffling. They should go away, but it's baffling how some teams exploit it so well and others just don't bother. Everyone knew the Dolphins should have pulled the tag from Clay so they'd get a comp pick, but they didn't. That's not on the comp pick system, thats on the dolphins being idiots.

That the Patriots will get an extra 3rd because of the Revis rental though is just so loving absurd that although I love it I can't defend it.

Not all teams have the negotiating room that the patriots do. What free agent is going to agree to an additional year with a team option with the browns or buccaneers? The browns gave Alex Mack THREE years of player options to get him to sign

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

football fuckerman posted:

Not all teams have the negotiating room that the patriots do. What free agent is going to agree to an additional year with a team option with the browns or buccaneers? The browns gave Alex Mack THREE years of player options to get him to sign

Just make the team option a billion dollars or something like the Revis one where everyone knows it's not going to happen. It's not a real year, the team tacks it on so they get a free pick and the player gets an extra 10k or something, plus bragging rights about how valuable his contract is.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

evilweasel posted:

Apparently yanking the tag would have gotten them some grief from the league or the union or some poo poo. You can't yank the tag after you assign it just bc you think someone else is taking your dude.

Trust me I was calling for it the whole time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Apparently yanking the tag would have gotten them some grief from the league or the union or some poo poo. You can't yank the tag after you assign it just bc you think someone else is taking your dude.

Trust me I was calling for it the whole time.

That makes more sense, thanks.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Like seriously, fans of good teams stop trying to justify the comp pick system.

We got it. Works for you.

Kali has it right. Just make it an 8th rd pick or some poo poo....

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's especially funny because the difference between picking 7th and picking 4th has nowhere near the benefit of getting an extra 3rd and a 5th.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Barnwell and Mays did a redraft of the 2014 draft since that's the kind of thing you do when you have a NFL podcast in April, with the basic gist of teams still need what they needed, but they get to see a year into the future. All the same trades happen except the Seahawks at #32 since that was pretty much just for Teddy B.

pre:
			Bill Barnwell		Robert Mays
1	Texans		Khalil Mack		Teddy Bridgewater
2	Rams		Aaron Donald		Odell Beckham
3	Jaguars		Odell Beckham		Khalil Mack
4	Bills		Greg Robinson		Sammy Watkins
5	Raiders		Teddy Bridgewater	Mike Evans
6	Falcons		Zach Martin		Aaron Donald
7	Buccaneers	Sammy Watkins		Jadeveon Clowney
8	Browns		Mike Evans		Kelvin Benjamin
9	Vikings		CJ Mosley		Zach Martin
10	Lions		Jake Matthews		Taylor Lewan
11	Titans		Blake Bortles		Derek Carr
12	Giants		Anthony Barr		CJ Mosley
13	Rams		Derek Carr		Jake Matthews
14	Bears		Jason Verrett		Calvin Pryor
15	Steelers	Timmy Jernigan		Anthony Barr
16	Cowboys		Ha Ha Clinton-Dix	Joel Bitonio
17	Ravens		Bashaud Breeland	Jason Verrett
18	Jets		Kelvin Benjamin		Blake Bortles
19	Dolphins	 Taylor Lewan		Greg Robinson
20	Saints		Kyle Fuller		Kyle Fuller
21	Packers		Chris Borland		Chris Borland
22	Browns		Joel Bitonio		Tim Jernigan
23	Chiefs		Deone Bucannon		Ryan Shazier
24	Bengals		Ryan Shazier		Aaron Lynch
25	Chargers	Justin Gilbert		Jack Mewhort
26	Eagles		Calvin Pryor		Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
27	Cardinals	Brandin Cooks		Brandon Linder
28	Panthers	Ja'Wuan James		Ja'Wuan James
29	Patriots	Jadeveon Clowney	Justin Gilbert
30	49ers		Dominique Easley	Brandin Cooks
31	Broncos		Bradley Roby		Jarvis Landry
32	Seahawks	Dee Ford		Martavis Bryant
Of note, Mays goes full TFF and has 4 guards go in the first round. Mays also talks Barnwell into Borland on the Packers for that one year story because it's a huge strength for a near SB team's biggest weakness. Barnwell has Clowney falling to the Patriots but expects another team to trade up to take him before then but I would be really cool with.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Jeremy Maclin 2014 receiving DYAR: 224
all 7 2014 Chiefs WRs combined DYAR (sum not mean): 1

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Pron on VHS posted:

Jeremy Maclin 2014 receiving DYAR: 224
all 7 2014 Chiefs WRs combined DYAR (sum not mean): 1

Man I wonder what the reason for this could be? It's totally weird!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
AJ Jenkins never bulked up :(

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Parmesan Basil posted:

Man I wonder what the reason for this could be? It's totally weird!

I know, I'd kill to have Foles or Sanchez throwing to Bowe, AJ Jenkins, Wilson and Hemingway.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I can't figure out just how much of my hope for Wilson is because I haven't seen a receiver other than Bowe (very rarely) make a great play in so long. Wilson made like 2 of them, really good ones!

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Pron on VHS posted:

I know, I'd kill to have Foles or Sanchez throwing to Bowe, AJ Jenkins, Wilson and Hemingway.

You forgot Avery and Avant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Parmesan Basil posted:

You forgot Avery and Avant.

so did the rest of the league, so big whoop.

• Locked thread