Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best value/most useful purchase in the roboshop, other than premium? I'm a T6.

e:re-read OP. T7 Scorpion + Premium the best way to go?

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

PerrineClostermann posted:

What's the best value/most useful purchase in the roboshop, other than premium? I'm a T6.

Wheels seem to be much better than treads, and electroplates are useful in T6.

I'd grab some nanos on a cruiser and soak up RP if I were you.

E: i did this but with 6 hoverblades and breezed through it

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

If you want to give the team money then a T7 robot is the way to do it. Otherwise you'll reach T7/T8 in no time when you activate some Premium.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Do all the bots come with premium time? They should imo. I got the wolfbot back during the promotion and it came with 3 months, more than enough to finish the high-tier grind.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
I've heard that if you're spending money you should buy a bot when starting so you get the most out of the CPU - like if you're under the CPU needed by the purchased bot, it just sets your CPU to that number, so you can get a thousand bonus CPU or whatever. Then every level gained adds the normal 11 CPU onto that, so you're always that much ahead until you reach the normal CPU cap. If this hasn't changed it's by far the biggest reason to buy a bot, CPU grind is a slow annoyance. If you're past that point, I don't know why you'd use the roboshop unless there's some exclusive piece or you really want to drop cash on every part of one right now and it's a better value, they're pretty bad designs.

Otherwise use it on garage slots, premium, and whatever cosmetics you like (having an altimeter and speedometer around is nice even if their being payshop parts is sleazy).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Chard posted:

Do all the bots come with premium time? They should imo. I got the wolfbot back during the promotion and it came with 3 months, more than enough to finish the high-tier grind.

I don't think they do.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

taqueso posted:

I don't think they do.

Yeah, they changed it a couple months ago. Aside from rare promotions, shop bots all lost their Premium bonus to make them 'cheaper'.
Except that the credit packages you can purchase are designed to be a few credits short for every good bot + premium combo.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Thor-Stryker posted:

Yeah, they changed it a couple months ago. Aside from rare promotions, shop bots all lost their Premium bonus to make them 'cheaper'.
Except that the credit packages you can purchase are designed to be a few credits short for every good bot + premium combo.

That blows, because I was under the impression that the premium time was always meant to be a "thank you" for using or lovely bots. Now it seems like a punishment for for wanting those animal heads.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chard posted:

I did the same thing. The wolf parts are just lingering in my storage, as all my bots are either T-10 or TX-1 now.

Aside from that, I mostly have used GC for buying tech points for things I didn't want to grind for, a few parts, and premium. I've been premium for months now, partly thanks to the wolfbot.

Premium really gives the best bang for the buck, especially in terms of farming RP. With 9 bots total, I generally just play to the daily victory on each and then maybe a few extra megabot matches.

Yes, I have lots of bots - I tend to buy a new garage slot if I want to experiment rather than deconstruct a decent design.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

Nope, still not doing it really. Here are my three cutaways so you can see where I've gone off.

Put another set of T6 thrusters, pushing forward, in the back somewhere

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why are there so many idiots playing Medic? Why would a 30% HP medic think he should attack instead of healing the 70% tank that's lost half its plasmas and nothing else right next to it?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there an enemy currently firing at them within range of its beams? if so, that's actually the smart move, healing happens at like a third of the rate of smg damage

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Why are there so many idiots playing Medic? Why would a 30% HP medic think he should attack instead of healing the 70% tank that's lost half its plasmas and nothing else right next to it?

It's easier if be bad if you aren't responsible for getting shot at in the front lines.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

is there an enemy currently firing at them within range of its beams? if so, that's actually the smart move, healing happens at like a third of the rate of smg damage

Enemy was around a rock, trying to play peekaboom with my plasmas.

Also, what's up with the matchmaking? I've lost the last 7 matches in a row in a crushing defeat, despite fighting off two or more bots in most of the games.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Platoons are busted right now, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Enemy was around a rock, trying to play peekaboom with my plasmas.

Also, what's up with the matchmaking? I've lost the last 7 matches in a row in a crushing defeat, despite fighting off two or more bots in most of the games.

It seems really streaky. I've had the same 7 T10 bots in my stable for weeks now, and my results really seem to depend more on the team I am saddled with than my own gameplay. Sometimes I luck out and get several good teams in a row, and other times it is a frustrating slog just to get the daily victory bonus with a single bot. Since my bots aren't changing, the only variables are my teammates and the balance with the other team.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It seems really streaky. I've had the same 7 T10 bots in my stable for weeks now, and my results really seem to depend more on the team I am saddled with than my own gameplay. Sometimes I luck out and get several good teams in a row, and other times it is a frustrating slog just to get the daily victory bonus with a single bot. Since my bots aren't changing, the only variables are my teammates and the balance with the other team.

It's certainly luck of the draw. I'm not sure how they actually match up, but there are certainly times where team balance is so off it results in one team getting absolutely steamrolled. Sometimes it's just a matter of stupid people going rambo or taking 5 different routes, but there are times when the enemy bots just outclass most of your team and you can't do anything to really change the outcome. Also a lot of people are bad at dps. It's odd that I often feel I make a bigger difference in a match playing my plasma hover than playing my medic. Plus there are times, like last night, where most every game I had 4-5 medics on my team. In that case, having competent dps makes a huge difference.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Giblet Plus! posted:

Put another set of T6 thrusters, pushing forward, in the back somewhere

That does seem to have fixed it in that I can climb now, albeit slowly. :shrug:
e - sticking a bunch of t2 thrusters on it does help quite a bit at least.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 2, 2015

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Welp, finding something else to do for the time being.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It is kinda depressing how the dev team hasn't implemented a temp fix, guess they'll see soon enough when the high tier population starts dying off.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

That's actually a pretty impressive screencap that highlights almost all of the problems with this game. It says soooo much. The rail shot from beyond render range, and of course the thrustergods are already on your doorstep compared to the rest of the blue team, the number of kills already, etc..

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Temp fix: thrusters only work above 10-20m altitude when you have active wings/rudders/rotors on your bot or no guns left. It's totally not perfect but it still allows people to build around thruster escape pods, and it completely removes thruster sky god poo poo from being a real build until they figure out some way to balance it. Ultimately, it would be better for the health of the population to have this instead of the current rules, even if it never got fixed for real.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bimmian posted:

Welp, finding something else to do for the time being.

robocraftt10.png

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

They'll be fixing rudders soon. Part of that'll make it so you can't get by with just a t4, so you'll have bigger pricier things to shoot at, and also when you shoot them off they'll actually stop working. And dev just said t10 rails need a buff (or they need t11 ones). Don't know what awful band-aids people are expecting, but they're definitely working with drones in mind.

Also IR's going to dominate even if they use hovers or interceptors or whatever. A group of solid players on voicechat has a huge advantage over a bunch of strangers in this game, meanwhile you're lucky if your team finds its way out of base. Devs know this too.

Did the rail in that image even connect? They're less than visual range for some reason.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Temp fix: thrusters only work above 10-20m altitude when you have active wings/rudders/rotors on your bot or no guns left. It's totally not perfect but it still allows people to build around thruster escape pods, and it completely removes thruster sky god poo poo from being a real build until they figure out some way to balance it. Ultimately, it would be better for the health of the population to have this instead of the current rules, even if it never got fixed for real.

When your players start giving out ideas for "temp fixes" is when poo poo might be taking too long.

"Please, here's some normal fixes that might work. How about these easy temp fixes? Please at least DO SOMETHING. *cry*"

The real temp fix would be to limit robots to having ~6 thrusters and NO MORE. Also doing something about that phantom rudder bug, if it's still in the game.

OG17 posted:

And dev just said t10 rails need a buff (or they need t11 ones)

It's a futile effort that will go nowhere. If you buff T10 rails so their better in T10, then T7-8 games will suffer, leave them as is and they're underpowered in T10 games. Rails are not bad as long as you're horribly over-tiering them, but you can't do that at T10 so... rip. It also doesn't help that T10 bots have waaay more e-shields than the lower tiers due to way higher CPU limits and redundant weapons. Double rip.

All they need to do is to disable over-tiering of all weapons and balance for each tier. It's just insulting to newer players when a vet player can bring a T5 rail plasma weapon to a T2 game.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 2, 2015

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

aparmenideanmonad posted:

They could make it so Plasma Cannons can only "drop" their rounds if the bot is detected as a flyer (more thrusters than other movement types.) Thus forcing bricks to have to perform bombing runs instead of blasting with near-perfect accuracy from the edge of draw-distance.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Easter Update: http://robocraftgame.com/easternanza-is-here-new-mad-orc-sale/

-Thruster sticks getting nerfed, going back to the old way where only the spastically skilled know how to craft and operate.

:siren: Newbies! Now's the time to spend a little cash if you want a deal, $7 for 3months Premium + T7 Robot + Parking Slot.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I give it a week before everyone has a new TS build that hides 4 rudders inside shields.

But holy poo poo that's a good deal, I wish it had been running when I started playing. 3 months of premium is easily enough to get to megabots for the even the most casual of players, especially since you get a bunch of T7 cubes and all that CPU.

There's also new free premium codes, which I love because with the 5% bonus for each premium user you end up getting absolutely massive RP/TP rewards from fights:

- 2 DAYS FREE PREMIUM FOR ALL!!! (EASTER-276051 | BUNNY-912037)

- The codes run out at 11am UTC on Monday the 6th of April

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah that thruster stick "fix" means precisely zero point gently caress all. Don't get me wrong the ghost rudder fix is good, on its own. It has no impact on sky gods though. Pancake thruster bots like being barely controlled flailing idiots because it makes them drat hard to hit and plasmas don't care. They track fast enough to maintain a target, don't lose accuracy at speed or movement or direction change or anything, ever and can still out-snipe a railgun by out ranging it and do more damage over time as well.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Yea that likely won't do anything substantial.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Thor-Stryker posted:

-Thruster sticks getting nerfed, going back to the old way where only the spastically skilled know how to craft and operate.

:siren: Newbies! Now's the time to spend a little cash if you want a deal, $7 for 3months Premium + T7 Robot + Parking Slot.

I'm working right now but can you take advantage of this if you already bought the other wolf bot?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

I'm working right now but can you take advantage of this if you already bought the other wolf bot?

Oh yes, I can't remember if you can purchase it twice or not though.

This time it's a copter wolf bot instead of a spider.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Every time I try to make a new helicopter I'm disappointed. They turn so slow.

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

Thor-Stryker posted:

Great, I just put $25 into credits to get a scorpion this week and got some premium as well. Is there any way to use credits for that or is it with cash through madorc only? :bang:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Lurker posted:

Great, I just put $25 into credits to get a scorpion this week and got some premium as well. Is there any way to use credits for that or is it with cash through madorc only? :bang:

Madorc only.

So I just had an incredible challenge match that could easily have gone horribly wrong. Playing as the bosses, one of my teammates went out and immediately got destroyed due to terrible design. I'm thinking there's no way I'll be able to take out 10 angry little bots by myself, so I resign myself to just doing some damage and having fun. My plasma bomber slips around the otherside of the map, manages to catch one guy off guard. Popped in one shot. Continued around the circle, just kept taking out the guy in the rear. By the time I make it back to my spawn, it's just one SMG and one Healer left on my team, struggling to survive. I swoop in like some sort of king douchebag and wipe out the last few tier 4s.

You know how in practice mode, you point and pop? Yeah, it was like that.

In general, I'm having fun figuring out how to properly play a Plasma Bomber, hanging back and waiting for the enemy to get engaged, flanking around the map, that sort of thing. Are there any tips or tricks you can share? Also, my design is pretty...garbage, I think. No clue how people manage to design around electroshields.

My craft: http://a.pomf.se/khmhfr.webm

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I honestly don't think the devs have any intention of ever fixing thrustersticks.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

Why does madorc exist and why am I giving it money?

Also platoon matchmaking is still messed up and they missed the rudder bug where rudders randomly don't work right, imagine there's another patch coming.

SumYungGui posted:

Yeah that thruster stick "fix" means precisely zero point gently caress all. Don't get me wrong the ghost rudder fix is good, on its own. It has no impact on sky gods though. Pancake thruster bots like being barely controlled flailing idiots because it makes them drat hard to hit and plasmas don't care. They track fast enough to maintain a target, don't lose accuracy at speed or movement or direction change or anything, ever and can still out-snipe a railgun by out ranging it and do more damage over time as well.
People spend a lot of time tweaking drone handling, plasmas don't track through flailing movement, and if you're getting sniped by projectiles lobbed across the map the problem isn't with the other guy. I don't know if things are good now or not but this is dumb.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

OG17 posted:

Why does madorc exist and why am I giving it money?

Also platoon matchmaking is still messed up and they missed the rudder bug where rudders randomly don't work right, imagine there's another patch coming.
People spend a lot of time tweaking drone handling, plasmas don't track through flailing movement, and if you're getting sniped by projectiles lobbed across the map the problem isn't with the other guy. I don't know if things are good now or not but this is dumb.

You mean one person spends a lot of time tweaking it and then posts it online. 95% of the time it is one of two designs. If you're spinning in circles then of course they won't track, but if you keep the guns pointed in the same general direction (very feasible) then feel free to flail about in any other direction. You need only a momentary pause to let them line up, or if you're good, just roll one way or the other to compensate.

If you can manage to avoid getting hit by a plasma shot from a drone at max render distance and/or at the ceiling, while behind you and/or you're fighting other bots, then you're a better player than everyone else, grats. Sure you should be on the lookout after the first volley, but I think the point was that they can reposition themselves fast enough to stay ahead of any return fire, easily sneak behind enemy lines and rain down shots with very little risk. They're barely visible unless you see exactly where the shot originates from. A railgun at least has to stay stationary to be effective. Railgun's are pretty decent now imo, I certainly can't just ignore them like I did before, but their weakness is they have to be (mostly) stationary if they're going to take multiple shots with any accuracy and before they get return fire.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

OG17 posted:

Stability is achievable without any rudders at all, and how do you avoid something you are unlikely to know exists before it hits you?

edit: You can also mitigate traversal issues simply by being farther away, which is what you want anyway, so your turrets don't have to track as much.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
*ahem*

Look up.

• Locked thread