Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It would explain a lot and be really weird if the reason Wells was against trying to seperate Firestorm was that it could possibly be applied to him. IE a seperation of Reverse Flash and actual Wells. Cause Reverse Flash had to absorb at least some of his knowledge unless he played the whole "Amnesia" card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Drifter posted:

He stuck a metal spike inside of Wells and inside himself and then sucked out Wells' 'life energy' and holy god your spoilers are just getting weird now.

For real, I don't know how they could have conveyed this more clearly without like, giant red letters and big flashing arrows saying THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT HAPPENED

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

It would explain a lot and be really weird if the reason Wells was against trying to seperate Firestorm was that it could possibly be applied to him. IE a seperation of Reverse Flash and actual Wells. Cause Reverse Flash had to absorb at least some of his knowledge unless he played the whole "Amnesia" card.

Ummm...it was a standard erasre-ur-face model G the dude used. He is still Thrawne, he doesn't need to separate. It's nothing like what happened to Firestorm. Wells is dead. Thawne just has his memories and poo poo. Wells isn't inside a glass cage in his mind somewhere screaming to be let out.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Time travel, stolen tech, yellow outfit, an AI buddy tagging along... Thawne is channeling Booster Gold a little.

Hollismason posted:

Reverse Flash had to absorb at least some of his knowledge unless he played the whole "Amnesia" card.
Wells was a public figure, so Eobard probably had a lot of future information on him already. We haven't had any mention of his family or any close friends, so Tess may have been the only one who would have noticed the difference right away. Any other acquaintances who did notice "Wells" was acting different would likely just assume that's the sort of thing you should expect from a man who just watched the love of his life die beside him. After that, all Eobard needs is time to go through Wells' personal notes and research to fill in the blanks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
As others have said it would be a way "out" of keeping Cavanaugh on Team Flash.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's a comic book show. The most comic booky comic book show around at that. They hardly need that out. He could come back any number of ways, as ally, anti-hero or recurring villain. From disappearing in to the speed force only to reappear later to a simple resurrection there's probably at least a half dozen ways they could do it.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Heck, how do we know they even HAVE blood in the 25th century!!!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Robot Hobo posted:

Time travel, stolen tech, yellow outfit, an AI buddy tagging along... Thawne is channeling Booster Gold a little.

Wells was a public figure, so Eobard probably had a lot of future information on him already. We haven't had any mention of his family or any close friends, so Tess may have been the only one who would have noticed the difference right away. Any other acquaintances who did notice "Wells" was acting different would likely just assume that's the sort of thing you should expect from a man who just watched the love of his life die beside him. After that, all Eobard needs is time to go through Wells' personal notes and research to fill in the blanks.

Also remember a point they made fairly clearly in the episode, he's well known for being "enigmatic."

Barry: I read a 600 page book about him and all I learned is that he is enigmatic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mikeraskol posted:

Also remember a point they made fairly clearly in the episode, he's well known for being "enigmatic."

Barry: I read a 600 page book about him and all I learned is that he is enigmatic.

He should put make-up, a wig and a sexy skirt on and then ask Wells out on a date to learn more about him.

*with a southern belle accent*
"Well, hello there doctor. My name's Barr-uhh, Barbara. So tell me about yourself."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Hollismason posted:

As others have said it would be a way "out" of keeping Cavanaugh on Team Flash.
Honestly, I don't see the need for Tom C. to be kept on Team Flash. They are very obviously working to have him fully exposed by the end of the season and by next season he'll be a frequently appearing villain. Barry is still very much a novice to being a hero and even his own abilities, as the Tricksters episode proved. Eobard is the only one he can rely on to help him with both, because for however twisted he is Eobard has done nothing but demonstrate that he wants Barry to stay alive and to improve his abilities. Both of them need each other for different reasons, even if they may not like each other at all.

Grant said in an interview that Barry is going to need to improve his lying, especially in regards to Wells. My bet is in season 2 Barry will be going to Eobard for help frequently, but behind everyone's backs because he knows they'll immediately object to it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finally caught up on The Flash, and while I enjoyed The Trickster, the previous "lets rewind everything" episode was loving atrocious. That was a forty minute reminder of why I hate time travel with a passion. How did the thread respond to the "hahaha, last week's episode didn't matter! Psyche!" nonsense of it all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Finally caught up on The Flash, and while I enjoyed The Trickster, the previous "lets rewind everything" episode was loving atrocious. That was a forty minute reminder of why I hate time travel with a passion. How did the thread respond to the "hahaha, last week's episode didn't matter! Psyche!" nonsense of it all.

Mostly by calling people who thought that dumb.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Narcissus1916 posted:

People were gaga about the Rogues but I really agree with you about that episode. Not necessarily about the Psyche! part, but I just thought it was a poor episode.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Guys, what if Grodd is the real RF? Think about it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Mostly by calling people who thought that dumb.

Ah, that's what I would have guessed.

I'm happy that the flash is tackling time travel since its such a huge part of the character (and to be fair, pretty much the entire DC universe loves their alt. universe stories). But I've read enough comics to know that "Character rewinds things!" is the lazarus pits of lovely comic writing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm happy that the flash is tackling time travel since its such a huge part of the character (and to be fair, pretty much the entire DC universe loves their alt. universe stories). But I've read enough comics to know that "Character rewinds things!" is the lazarus pits of lovely comic writing.

They just need to make it less like the comics and more like Back To The Future.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Narcissus1916 posted:

If it gives you comfort the creators said the rewound timeline is going to come back into relevance in these last set of episodes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

If only those events still had relevance in multiple ways going forward and it wasn't actually a lazy reset button like you keep saying.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm sure they might bring back some elements of that episode in the future - and the Thawne reveal was a very nice piece of clever writing.

But saying "Things will get better in the future, I promise!" doesn't really matter to me. Each episode should be satisfying on its own merits and not just setting up more pieces on the chessboard. I also didn't like how the rogues just kinda showed up for no reason, outside of a vague "Time will punish you!" handwavey bit.

I also thought that Barry's kiss with Iris would finally make him realize that he has to come clean and tell her - and instead things just got slightly weird with them, again. And now they've told Eddie for Reasons, and its just goddamn uncomfortable to watch.

I've been reading the Arrow thread almost from the beginning, and the Laurel hatred was legendary. But whereas early episodes of Arrow made me dislike her, the treatment of Iris really makes me despise Joe. So there's this weird schizophrenic tone to his character, that he's the best father figure and decent dude on the show, but oh yeah, he's gaslighting his own daughter.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

Each episode should be satisfying on its own merits and not just setting up more pieces on the chessboard.

If that is the case then why wouldn't you like episode 15?

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've been reading the Arrow thread almost from the beginning, and the Laurel hatred was legendary. But whereas early episodes of Arrow made me dislike her, the treatment of Iris really makes me despise Joe. So there's this weird schizophrenic tone to his character, that he's the best father figure and decent dude on the show, but oh yeah, he's gaslighting his own daughter.

"Don't tell Iris about this Flash stuff because I don't want to get her in danger"
"Why is that likely to get her in danger? You know if she is I am literally a superhero right?"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Valeyard posted:

If that is the case then why wouldn't you like episode 15?

Because he's inconsistent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iris can't know because she's in love with the Flash and Joe doesn't want it to get creepy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm sure they might bring back some elements of that episode in the future - and the Thawne reveal was a very nice piece of clever writing.

But saying "Things will get better in the future, I promise!" doesn't really matter to me. Each episode should be satisfying on its own merits and not just setting up more pieces on the chessboard. I also didn't like how the rogues just kinda showed up for no reason, outside of a vague "Time will punish you!" handwavey bit.

I also thought that Barry's kiss with Iris would finally make him realize that he has to come clean and tell her - and instead things just got slightly weird with them, again. And now they've told Eddie for Reasons, and its just goddamn uncomfortable to watch.

I dont really know what you expect from a Flash show, but accidentally travelling back 12 hours to undo a bunch of crazy poo poo that happened is like one of the first things you should expect. Everything about that episode was great.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The episode itself was great. I think people just didn't like the way the writers "solved" the Barry-Iris-Eddie drama.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Plus that was actually evident from the previous episode when he traveled back in time. The other one is good on its own merit I think. But this last one was better regardless.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If time travel and altering history and playing around with consequences of previous events is a really serious dealbreaker, I have a little bad news for you regarding the backbone plotline that has been referred to in every single episode

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Iris can't know because she's in love with the Flash and Joe doesn't want it to get creepy.

I can't wait for every single person in Central City to know who the Flash is except for Iris.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Codependent Poster posted:

I can't wait for every single person in Central City to know who the Flash is except for Iris.

IT becomes a city-wide running gag. Her boss at the paper asks her, every time Barry comes in to the office to visit, with a goofy grin, "So, Iris, any new leads on the Flash today?"

The whole office quietly titters in the background.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

That thing had to be a Fringe nod right?

Anyway to answer your question

That clearly tells us they had no idea how they were going to reconcile Thawne and Wells and just kind of made it up as they went along. They got lucky in that it mostly works as an explanation too, so bravo.

EDIT: Also, in regards to the time travel stuff. My problem with undoing wasn't that he undid it. Though that is a problem I have with time travel stories in general in that sometimes they make it seem like we wasted time watching the stuff they undid. That part wasn't too bad in this instance though. The part that was bad was that the writers decided to go and blow up everything before they did it. That's just kind of hackish. If he was going back to prevent the tidal wave and save Joe, fine that's all good. But adding Cisco's death, the revelation of Wells, and the completely unnecessary resolution of the Barry and Iris stuff was too much. It was just the writers saying, we can just write anything we want and it doesn't matter because we can undo it and that's a scary thing for them to pull out on the very first instance of time travel.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 3, 2015

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I still think it wasn't for naught. Wells mentioned time seems to repair itself, so we might be looking at the chief being injured bad, Cisco being killed and WW escaping and causing a tidal wave. Also, I think Wells might 'remember' the alternate timeline.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Deadpool posted:

It was just the writers saying, we can just write anything we want and it doesn't matter because we can undo it and that's a scary thing for them to pull out on the very first instance of time travel.

All of that stuff did matter as shown in the very next episode so there's actually nothing to be afraid of? And the writers actually directly said that those events do and will matter so...

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Okay I haven't seen the most recent episode so I don't know if this is covered, but Gideon warned Wells about the journalist, right? Earlier in the episode they agree that he should be alerted if anything changes, and then after killing the journalist (who just finished preparing an article for publish) he says that it would have been the story of the century.

I mean I'm probably being dense and this is the obvious answer, but I've seen speculation about Wells having alt timeline omniscience so I don't know what to believe anymore

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Deadpool posted:

That clearly tells us they had no idea how they were going to reconcile Thawne and Wells and just kind of made it up as they went along. They got lucky in that it mostly works as an explanation too, so bravo.

EDIT: Also, in regards to the time travel stuff. My problem with undoing wasn't that he undid it. Though that is a problem I have with time travel stories in general in that sometimes they make it seem like we wasted time watching the stuff they undid. That part wasn't too bad in this instance though. The part that was bad was that the writers decided to go and blow up everything before they did it. That's just kind of hackish. If he was going back to prevent the tidal wave and save Joe, fine that's all good. But adding Cisco's death, the revelation of Wells, and the completely unnecessary resolution of the Barry and Iris stuff was too much. It was just the writers saying, we can just write anything we want and it doesn't matter because we can undo it and that's a scary thing for them to pull out on the very first instance of time travel.

While in general I agree, if you gently caress around with consequences too much you remove any tension (how can I give a poo poo what's going on, nothing at all matters/nothing is real) but in this case, the scene with Wells killing Cisco was really dramatic and well done. The rest of the episode felt like fluff around that tremendous scene. As long as they do this rarely and there's a big payoff like that scene with Carlos Valdes/Tom Cavanagh then that'll be OK.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

The only reason I'm speculating about Wells/Eobard remembering the time change is because of Flashpoint Paradox. I have absolutely no reason in show universe to actually speculate on this otherwise.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh god, I'm reading around on other forums and there are so many people who genuinely don't seem to understand that Thawne killed the real Wells and took his place. Like, outright asking "Is Wells real or fake right now? Wait, so was that the real Wells in the flashback?" And that's one of the easier plot elements to understand in this show; I wonder how many other far-out comic-book-y things just fly right over the general audience's heads? And these brain-twisting narratives are really only going to get worse better and more complicated down the line.

Reading about people who don't think about TV shows as much as I do is super depressing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They show him graphically dying and withering into a very obviously dead corpse as Thawne/RF sucks out his whatever through the wire thingamajig I mean how do you misinterpret what's going on there :confused:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Busy posting about it on forums to pay attention to the goddamn show.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

So next episode is going to be about how the Flash gave everyone at that fundraiser Hepatitis or HIV right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bert Roberge posted:

So next episode is going to be about how the Flash gave everyone at that fundraiser Hepatitis or HIV right?

He went and phased the virus out of everyone later that week. He wore a special doctor's outfit while he did it. Iris got a bit faint at the sight. It was all very romantic and dramatic.

Edit: He also put laxatives in the Trickster's coffee that day, for payback. It backfired when the Trickster found it funnier than he did though.

• Locked thread