Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Nidoking posted:

That is nought entirely true, and I am very cross that you would suggest such a thing.

And you nailed it in one, the reason I bothered to write "arguably" :suicide:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Nope, none of those things. Although those are bad, too. No, I'm talking about something... grindier.

...I must have repressed something :ohdear:

The portal potion is one of the two escape methods I remembered from when I played this. The pun method was a surprise, but a bit underwhelming. At least it and the portal potion are fast, if you know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

We know where to get sesame seeds, but what kind of fertilizer do we use? Typically you'd use manure, but apparently it's also possible to make fertilizer from fish parts. I mean, obviously, right?

This is actually a thing, and (at least according to sanitized elementary-school American history) was one of the techniques the Indians taught the Pilgrims so that they'd grow crops and stop starving to death.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Seyser Koze posted:

This is actually a thing, and (at least according to sanitized elementary-school American history) was one of the techniques the Indians taught the Pilgrims so that they'd grow crops and stop starving to death.

Amusingly, the technique that schools generally teach (and the one that's most common in folklore about said incident), wherein a dead fish is planted alongside or near the freshly planted corn, could have potentially worked since corn takes a while to grow (2-3 months), while fish can rot into an appropriate fish sauce-like fertilizer in ~45-50 days. That's in a bucket though, to be honest I don't know if the fish would rot fast enough to be useful or if it'd even contribute meaningfully to the development of the corn if it was only present for the last part of the growing cycle.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
LP's: Now educational!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Daerc posted:

Amusingly, the technique that schools generally teach (and the one that's most common in folklore about said incident), wherein a dead fish is planted alongside or near the freshly planted corn, could have potentially worked since corn takes a while to grow (2-3 months), while fish can rot into an appropriate fish sauce-like fertilizer in ~45-50 days. That's in a bucket though, to be honest I don't know if the fish would rot fast enough to be useful or if it'd even contribute meaningfully to the development of the corn if it was only present for the last part of the growing cycle.

Well, if nothing else the fertilizer will be there for the next set of crops. So it's basically like renewable agriculture -- you aren't depleting the soil each year.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Chapter 4: Wherein a Revolution is Staged

(Music: Mysterious Jungle)

We're back at the Dog Fort. Last time, we talked to that white kitty over there pulling the wagon - in a different spot, but the conversation is the same everywhere - and she told us to go find Fluffy, who is leading the revolution to overthrow the imperialist dogs who have taken over the island.

You might notice Malcolm is standing kind of weird. I'm sure it's nothing, though. So to find this Fluffy character, we need to venture out into the jungle.

And as I'm sure you'll remember, the jungle is vast and non-Euclidean and I don't have a map, so I just stumble around haplessly for a while on the west side of the Dog Fort.

Eventually you'll find yourself in this little spot of jungle with a cat hiding behind a tree.

Hey, psst yourself. Who are you?

I am Fluffy. Are you with the revolution?

Against the capitalist Dogs!

Why do you need MY help?

The Altar of Mouseification must be repaired.

That must be the altar in front of the giant mouse statue we saw earlier. I don't see what that has to do with securing food supplies, however. It was just a bunch of stone balls in the middle of nowhere.

Why can't you fix it?

The coast is not safe for Cats!

Further conversation with Fluffy just makes him repeat these lines. In order to get him to help us out, we need to lie to him and say we're with the revolution.

So, are you with us?

The Altar of Mouseification must be repaired.

For our trouble, we get a leather mouse and some points.

A leather mouse.

There's nothing special about it as far as we can tell, but Fluffy seems to think it's vital to repairing their altar, so let's go back there and see what we can find out.

Rubbing the mouse against the altar itself doesn't seem to do anything. Fluffy mentioned the colossi, though.

Hmm. Cats do like mice.

I don't quite follow the logic, but sure, let's give it a try. Also, are you okay there, Malcolm? You seem itchy. At any rate, the game gladly gives us some Wild Guess points for our trouble, and then...

Somehow, the leather mouse contains the magic to turn the gigantic stone boulders into gigantic stone statues of what looks like cat gods or something like it. It's not really clearly stated anywhere, but Fluffy implied the colossi had been turned into balls somehow, probably by the dogs. I'm not really sure what the logic behind all this is, but whatever, we've got cat statues now.

I'll say. Sadly, the power to repair cat statues is not likely to impress captain Barbecue, so we'll need to keep searching for some magic that will.

Here are the other three statues.

I wonder if there's a way to activate these?

We're not quite done with the statues, but there's nothing more we can do here right now. Time to check out that little cave in the Dog Fort that we've avoided until now.

On the way there, however, disaster strikes.

Nice! Very glamorous! Terminal fleas.

Yeah, that's what the itching was all about. The dogs around these parts aren't terribly hygienic, as it turns out. Spending any amount of time around them gradually gives Malcolm more and more fleas. Go too long without fixing the problem and... well. Terminal fleas. Sometimes this death can be triggered by saving/loading the game, so if it weren't for that Second Chance option in the death dialog, you could screw yourself over here. Fortunately, that option exists, so you can just click that and you'll get a chance to fix things before moving on.

Getting rid of fleas is as simple as clicking Malcolm while he's scratching himself. The flea is an inventory item and you can carry it around with you if you like, but you really have no reason to. Dropping them in the room makes them vanish. All in all, I removed about seven or eight fleas here.

Time to check out those ruins. This is where the portal potion took us, as you'll recall. It's quite dark in here, though.

It doesn't look very safe here.

Hey, Mr. Wallenda, how many times have I told you to be careful?

This is a reference to a German troupe of acrobatic circus performers, of all things. The ruins are too dark to safely traverse, but we do need to go down there to make any further progress, so we need to find a light source of some kind.

The key is in this otherwise anonymous-looking jungle location. It's actually the room directly east of the Dog Fort, which helps a little. Time to get machete-in'.

Removing the bush in the bottom right corner reveals a small hole in the ground. This particular bush doesn't block your path, so you might not normally think to look for it. It's also the only bush that doesn't grow back once you leave the room.

The ruins are now nice and bright.

I hope this place doesn't collapse on me.

Yeah, it doesn't look very safe. Any other interesting thoughts to contribute?

I do wonder where that Enchanted Knife came from.

Whoa, wait. What. Where is this coming from? We know you killed the king. It was in the introduction video and everything. Let's just move on.

This room is still dark, though. There are some interesting reliefs on the back wall, there, though. They look kind of like the statues back at the altar. Maybe the mouse will work.

Hmm. Let's see if this has any effect.

Yeah, that's those statues all right.

What an attractive hieroglyphic.

I don't think that's what that word means. So what's the deal with these? They match the ones we saw earlier, but what's the point of this room?

Let's try the mouse again.

Whoa, trippy. Let's try the others.

So. From left to right, the cat statues show us visions of the moon, the sun, rain, wind, lightning, and fire respectively. Clearly this is a clue of some sort, but it's only half the puzzle. We don't know what to do with this information yet.

Hmm. Maybe Kallak knew about the knife.

Again with this? What is it about the cat ruins that's bringing this out, now? Moving on.

There is one feature of the jungle we've been strategically overlooking before now. Do you see it? Of course not, we need to cut down the drat bushes first.

How about now? It's right near where the cursor is.

For some reason, the jungle is full of gross old bones. Sometimes killing piles of snakes gives you bones, sometimes you just find them littering the place. I'm really not sure what's going on, there. Remnants of prey animals?

Dogs like bones, right?

Here's something for your pantry.

Thanks.

Hey, would you look at that. Duke went and buried the bone, as dogs do, and in the process uncovered something.

Precious metals! This is reminiscent of the birthstone puzzle from the first game, and that should be quite worrying.

So here's where the game gets incredibly stupid. There are six gems in total, and as you might have figured, they have something to do with the cat altar. We need all of them, and they're all buried here, in the Dog Fort. However...

... Duke is not guaranteed to exhume a gemstone when you give him a bone. As far as I can tell, the process is completely random. You can place the bones on the ground instead and he'll dig where you drop it, but there's no indication where the gems are buried. At least Duke will never dig up the same spot twice.

Furthermore, bones are not guaranteed to spawn. Sometimes, a room has none, sometimes one or two at most. This is the part of the game where the developers, for some godforsakenly unfathomable reason, decided that grinding for random drops was an appropriate and fun mechanic to subject the player to.

You can savescum by giving Duke a bone and reloading if he doesn't dig up a gem, but wrestling with the menu is no more fun and doesn't save as much time as you'd think.

Fortunately for you, we're skipping over all that. It took me 36 bones to get Duke to dig up all the gemstones for me. This is not the most annoying puzzle in the game, but it sure is a candidate.

Back to the cat altar. The gemstones have something to do with the colossi, so...

Let's try this gem on the altar.

I think the solution should be fairly clear by now: each gemstone corresponds to an element, and each element corresponds to a cat deity. The ruby is fire, the topaz is the sun, the diamond is the moon, the amethyst is rain, the emerald is wind, and the sapphire is lightning.

All we need to do is insert the right gem in the right statue, and...

Good work! Let's take that magic and go make arrangements to get off this rock!

Crystal mouse, huh. I wonder what it does...

Oh great. This is just fantastic.

Go scare some elephants?

Fluffy did say this was the Altar of Mouseification. The crystal mouse is indeed more powerful than the leather mouse, having the ability to transform people into mice. I'm not sure I want to think about why the cat-people would want something like this, and at any rate, we're stuck as a mouse now. Let's go find Fluffy and see if he can help us.

Somehow, it seems repairing the altar did indeed facilitate the overthrow of the dogs. The sesame cart is gone, and in its place is a lazily lounging cat.

The cat isn't interested in eating us, fortunately. With the sesame cart gone, we have to traverse the jungle to get where we want. Thankfully, Fluffy is located just one screen right of the altar.

Yeah, sure, but I'm a mouse! I hope for your sake you can do something about me being a mouse now?

You'll need some cheese.

I don't have any. Where can I get some?

That's a noxious stereotype.

Here, eat some of mine.

Okay, we're safe. The Crystal Mouse should impress captain Barbecue and his team. All we need to do now is hack our way through the jungle to get there.

Here we are.

So, where's the magic, Mister Wizard?

Good work! They've got to be impressed with that magic, don't they?

I'm sure the pirates will be thrilled that I cursed one of their crewmates to a mousy future.

Alright. I admit I see some potential with this magic. Ye've got yerself a ride, jester.

Oh god yes, let's. With Jean-Claude Barbecue and his crew of salty dogs and one mouse suitably convinced of our magical might, it's finally time to sail back to Kyrandia and get some proper revenge! Next time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Oh, the knife! Now all my repressed memories of this part of the game come rushing back. But that knife really is an evil, vile method of assassination.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Huh. I thought there was something you could do (or needed to do) inside Barbecue's ship.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Huh. I thought there was something you could do (or needed to do) inside Barbecue's ship.

If you give him the gems thinking you can bribe him that way, he will steal them and you need to go into his ship to recover them. It's a pretty pointless and wrong thing to do, and not particularly funny, so I skipped it.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 30, 2015

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Libluini posted:

Oh, the knife! Now all my repressed memories of this part of the game come rushing back. But that knife really is an evil, vile method of assassination.

Yeah. Screw that thing.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Fortunately for you, we're skipping over all that. It took me 36 bones to get Duke to dig up all the gemstones for me. This is not the most annoying puzzle in the game, but it sure is a candidate.

That is some grade A bullshit. And the fact that it's not even the worst puzzle in the game...

Thanks for dealing with all the horrible aspects of the game to show it off.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If you give him the gems thinking you can bribe him that way, he will steal them and you need to go into his ship to recover them. It's a pretty pointless and wrong thing to do, and not particularly funny, so I skipped it.

Jesus Christ, and I thought the first game was undoubtedly the apex of bullshit for this series. Just. EVERYTHING in this update. The loving grinding, and everything else. Goddammit, Westwood, this is why adventure games died out.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Actually, you know what, I will show off what happens if you give Barbecue the gems. Because I just remembered what exactly you had to do to get them back.

Thanks. How generous!

Of course, doing this makes the game unwinnable. You need those to repair the cat altar. Barbecue stashes them in the ship's hold, but...

We need a distraction.

Turns out the fleas aren't useless after all.

Oh no! I, Jean Claude Barbecue, have fleas! Acck! I'll have to bathe immediately!

And that's it. There's no reason to do this whatsoever, unless you really want the Animal Husbandry points you get for doing it.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
Can you put a flea on him to get the points without having given him any gems?

Does anything interesting happen if you try to put fleas on anyone else?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Fortunately for you, we're skipping over all that. It took me 36 bones to get Duke to dig up all the gemstones for me.

...wow, really? And there's no way to guarantee (or at least increase the odds) of getting the right gems? Is the first one at least guaranteed? If it was possible to give him the bone and not turn up a gem, I could see players getting stuck there. ...which, you know, may be for the best if

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

This is not the most annoying puzzle in the game,

...this is true. :gonk:

I'm struggling to see who thought that whole bit-- the respawning bones, the random chance of the dog digging up what you want, all of it-- was a good idea. I can conceive of somebody wanting to put randomness in an adventure game to give it replayability (maybe typical puzzles have 5 different solutions and depending on your actions/RNG you can only ever access 1-3, say). It's hard to think of a worse way to do it than Kyrandia 3.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Wayne posted:

I'm struggling to see who thought that whole bit-- the respawning bones, the random chance of the dog digging up what you want, all of it-- was a good idea. I can conceive of somebody wanting to put randomness in an adventure game to give it replayability (maybe typical puzzles have 5 different solutions and depending on your actions/RNG you can only ever access 1-3, say). It's hard to think of a worse way to do it than Kyrandia 3.

Make the bones finite. That's something Sierra would do.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I might be misremembering, but wasn't there an alternate way to get rid of all the fleas in one go in the forest? I'm fairly sure I remember Gunther commenting when you do it, even.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
:aaaaa:

Yeah, you got me there. "Random drops" plus "arbitrary inventory decisions that can make the game unwinnable" is... man, don't even have words for it. :v: And mentioning "Sierra" reminds me of King's Quest 3; what if the entire grinding and digging bit was on a timer, like if you couldn't manually get rid of the fleas, you had to finish the sidequest first? *shudders*

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oh no! I, Jean Claude Barbecue, have fleas! Acck! I'll have to bathe immediately!

OK, this redeems the game a bit, that was pretty funny.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

This is bizarrely lazily-animated. It really sticks out.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Red Mike posted:

I might be misremembering, but wasn't there an alternate way to get rid of all the fleas in one go in the forest? I'm fairly sure I remember Gunther commenting when you do it, even.

There are pools of water in the jungle you can jump into. However, that plan has the fatal flaw of requiring you to go into the jungle. All in all it's not really any faster than just clicking Malcolm a bunch of times.

Twilkitri posted:

Can you put a flea on him to get the points without having given him any gems?

Yes.

Twilkitri posted:

Does anything interesting happen if you try to put fleas on anyone else?

Mostly no. The pirates all have the same line if you use a flea on them: "Louise! I wondered what happened to you." I don't know if this is a reference to something. The three pirates are an obvious reference to Huey, Dewey and Louie, so maybe that's a Disney reference I'm not getting?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't think there are even 36 places the dog can dig. If you manually place the bones, you should need at most 15 or 18.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

After a while I got annoyed with having to go into the jungle a bunch and save-scummed for a while, which means Duke might hit the same spot more than once. Besides that, I think there are about 25-30 spots, from eyeballing it... it looks to be a grid covering most of the lower half of the screen.

Besides which, 16 bones is still too many. Heck, 6 bones is borderline.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Old adventure games are fascinating to me. It seems like they come from a time when developers actively trying to piss of the player as much as possible was the norm.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

After a while I got annoyed with having to go into the jungle a bunch and save-scummed for a while, which means Duke might hit the same spot more than once. Besides that, I think there are about 25-30 spots, from eyeballing it... it looks to be a grid covering most of the lower half of the screen.

Besides which, 16 bones is still too many. Heck, 6 bones is borderline.

I'm quite sure there are only three places vertically, and either five or six horizontally. I never even thought of giving him the bones directly, or maybe I noticed that he kept digging in the same spot and started placing the bones in other spots. There are still alternatives to many of the solutions in the game. I never knew that just opening the skylight was enough to light the dark chamber - I always dropped a gem in the hole and thought that was the key. Why? Because it was a hole, and Malcolm would happily throw the gems into it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think I just placed bones in a grid pattern. You really should not have needed 36. There are definitely nowhere close to that many places to dig.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah you can kind of cheese the awful bone puzzle somewhat by just placing the bones down on various locations around the dog fort and the dog will automatically dig at the spot you clicked. Combining that with save scumming can reduce the tedium by a large margin. It's still a really, really terrible puzzle.

What is it with Westwood games and tropical locations full of cat people?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This was an amazing update. With the 36 bones, the sudden unannounced flea death, the lazily animated bath dive from BBQ. :negative: How can they have such a fun idea for a game and then fumble the concept so badly, were they trying to divide zero somewhere along the line?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is bizarrely lazily-animated. It really sticks out.

I don't know, the lazy animation kind of makes it funnier. The captain is too stoic to do things like change where he's facing or change his stance. Plus, he needs to take a bath immediately.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I didn't kill William, but I do wonder where that exposition came from.

Reading this update I'm kind of glad I got hopelessly stuck in the first section of the game and lost interest because I'm pretty sure this entire island would have just killed me. :stonk:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

dijon du jour posted:

I didn't kill William, but I do wonder where that exposition came from.

Hypercrab Tank skipped over some things on Kyrandia. It would have been clearer if he'd shown them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zeniel posted:

What is it with Westwood games and tropical locations full of cat people?

I'm slightly curious as to what (else) this is referring to, anyone?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Given that it turns people into human-sized mice I question its effectiveness.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Interlude: Jailbird

As mentioned, there are six ways to escape from Kyrandia. We've seen the pun escape and the portal escape. Today, we're going to take a look at the convict escape. This is the longest one in the game, but it provides some much needed backstory so we're doing it next.

The first step to getting onto this path is to get caught. This is really easy to do by just stumbling around without knowing what you're doing; sooner or later, you're likely to bump into someone who recognizes us.

For instance, the sandwich clerk.

So I am, fish face!

I'm notifying the authorities!

Great! That's all I need! Herman the half-wit on my back.

Any time someone recognizes Malcolm, two things happen: one, you get locked out of entering certain critical areas (e.g. the fish parlor and the public baths). Trying to enter any of them after getting caught will fail, and no amount of lockpicking will solve the situation. Getting locked out is not a permanent condition, however, so this doesn't actually prevent you from doing any of the other escapes.

Two, the authorities are now on your tail.

Say, that person in the back wasn't there before, was he?

Darn!

Whoops. "The authorities" these days consist entirely of this guy: Herman. You might remember him from the first game. He fixed a rickety bridge for Brandon, made off with his saw, and came back at the end under Malcolm's control to menace Brandon with said saw.

(Music: Under arrest)

Going to the Bluff in this state will cause Herman to arrest you, and drag you in front of the newly crowned King Brandon and his grandpa, Kallak.

Once you are paroled, you must leave Kyrandia.

Don't ever return, or we'll... or we'll...

You are warned, Malcolm.

I'm shaking, powerful leader of the Royal Mistakes, and I'll obey.

The two seem to be surprisingly chill to hear that Malcolm's free of his curse, and only offer vague threats instead of, I don't know, re-cursing or executing him. At this point you get a few moments to talk to Brandon and Kallak.

I hardly think YOU'RE innocent!

So this is where that weird plot thread appears again. Er, well, for the first time, actually, since you're more likely to see this first if you're not being led through the game by a dunce doing things out of order.

The worst thing I did was blow up a few trees!

I never even had a trial.

We have no reason to doubt the eyewitness.

Okay, this one is just super weird. Or maybe not, given that Brandon straight up talked to his mom's ghost in the first game. She didn't contradict the story that Malcolm killed her, though, so I don't know why Malcolm thinks the king would do any different. It's a moot point anyway.

Your guilt is not in doubt.

That's all Brandon has to say to us.

You must pay for your crimes!

Crimes? What crimes? So I blew up a couple of trees. So what?

Vaguely ominous.

I saw your bloody hands with my own eyes.

As you might recall, Malcolm really doesn't like or trust Kallak very much.

You must pay your debt to Kyrandia!

After talking to the pair a bit, the scene is forcefully moved forward.

What's that dance you're doing?

And don't try to keep anything hidden in your palm!

Herman is voiced by Gary W. Hyatt, by the way, same as in the first game. That guy also did Malcolm's voice in the first game, but was replaced for this one for unclear reasons. At any rate, Herman wants us to put our inventory in that box there. You might recognize it from the second game, where it contained a toy drum and a single jack.

Have you no loyalty to your former employer?

No talking.

He won't talk to us, though. Now, we can start dropping our items one by one into the box, but after a few seconds...

... Herman interrupts us, and confiscates whatever's left in our inventory anyway. Then he carts us off to receive punishment:

(Music: Jail)

Hard labor in prison.

How many times do I have to tell you? You're here to make doilies.

This young lady is Rowena, and she's the warden of this dank pit we've been thrown in.

Now, one more time... take the string and put it in the machine.

That's a pretty weird machine, by the way. Are those human hands? Gross.

Clicking the ball of yarn inserts a thread into the... hands.

The foot pedal processes the thread.

See? That wasn't so hard. Now take the scissors and cut the doily loose.

The scissors are sitting right behind us. It's as simple as using them on the doily.

Lot of starch in those things. Okay, we're done, right? We can go now?

gently caress.

But remember! That's the last time I'm going to tell you how.

Rowena finally leaves us alone. Not that it's going to help; the window is too far above ground to jump safely out of, and Rowena is guarding the only other way out.

Right now, we have no recourse but to make ten doilies by clicking the machine a bunch. Six clicks plus a few seconds of wait per doily. So let's time skip past all that.

Now get out of Kyrandia.

So after that little ordeal, we get tossed out the castle again and told to be on our way. Kind of a lax approach, given who they're dealing with, but we're not complaining. So how this little exercise going to help us get out of Kyrandia?

First, we need to get caught again.

Here we are again. The same sequence of events plays out again.

This time, we're going to grab a bent nail with our cursor and keep it there until Herman gets tired of waiting and confiscates our inventory.

The result: We've successfully smuggled the nail with us into the prison cell. It's kind of a clever puzzle, actually, playing with the concept of the mouse cursor as your "palm" like that.

With the nail in hand, we can pick the lock to the doily machine and find out what's inside.

And then we can instantly regret ever doing that, because that's terrifying.

I wonder what HE did?

I'm kinda creeped out by this whole thing, to be honest. This time, we're not going to serve out our sentence; we're going to escape.

We're going to do this by sabotaging the... machine... in a vaguely disturbing manner.

I can't help it.

By all means, keep up the good work.

When the machine is started...

... this happens.

And with that, Malcolm just walks out of prison. Now, we may be free, but two questions immediately pop to mind: One, where did our inventory go, and two, how does this help us get out of Kyrandia exactly?

Your inventory gets thrown in the dump when you escape. You can come back here to recover any lost items. That takes care of the first question. As for the second...

We need to get caught and thrown in prison again! By now you might be thinking I'm crazy, and wondering what purpose all this could possibly be serving.

Sabotaging the doily machine and escaping from jail makes the authorities step up your punishment, and the next time you get caught, you get thrown here: the rock quarry. Rowena is here, too.

Oh! It's you again!

What happened to your prison job?

Oops. Sorry. Nothing personal.

No problem. I just hated to see you leave.

So the rock quarry works much the same way as the doily machine: click rocks, click the wagon, dump the rocks... repeat ten times and they'll let you go.

You have nine more loads to go!

Isn't there some way you could fudge the figures?

Cutie?

Cutie?

This sounds like it sucks, so we're going to escape from this one, too. Like last time, we need to smuggle an item in our palm. A bent nail won't do it, though.

This time, we need some of those fertilized seeds we used earlier to break a wall.

Surreptitiously planting them in the rock pile and throwing some of Malcolm's sweat on them has an explosive effect.

Hey, wench! I'm done!

Wow! That was fast! I guess you're free to go.

All right, and we even got our inventory back this time! And we all know what the best way to celebrate our newfound freedom is!

It keeps happening

Screwing up the rock quarry gets us upgraded to a chain gang. And look who came with us this time!

I don't care as long as I get to see you more often.

This budding, but one-sided old person romance is simultaneously endearing and nauseating.

Whatever spins your top.

The normal way to get out of this one is to just pick up those shears behind us and click the grass a bunch of times.

This time, we don't need to bring anything with us to escape.

Heh, heh, heh. Most excellent! I'm getting out of here.

I don't know what that chain was made of, but the shears are all you need to cut it. Malcolm swiftly makes his escape with some fresh Rogue Jester points in his pocket.

Okay, okay. Enough of this. Let's escape for real this time.

Just kidding! What is this now, like the fourth or fifth time we've been arrested? Boy, I guess Kallak's really making good on his threat to keep doing the same thing again, huh.

The fourth time, you get sent to a slave galley, alongside Rowena.

I think you have perfect posture!

Sure, but they'll never understand this joke in Germany.

:downsrim:

The punishment this time is to row. It's a pretty weird galley that only needs ten strokes to get where it needs to go, though--

Well, poo poo. Nuts to that. I brought one of those nails with me, and the manacles are lockpickable. We're getting out of here.

Every man for himself, I'm outta here.

Finally, at long last, after escaping from the slave galley, Malcolm ends up washing ashore on the Isle of Cats. And that's the convict escape: get arrested four times, and escape your punishment each time. Next time, we're... well, sailing back to Kyrandia with our newfound crew of pirates, hopefully.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 3, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
You misspelled string.

This was great. I love the Kyrandian justice system!The king doesn't look as much like Brandon as I would've expected him to look.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I almost expected your continued incarceration to result in a game over, but instead it finally turns into you succeeding by failing over and over and over. I don't know how intentionally humorous that is, but I think it's pretty funny.

Are we going to see any of those environments again or did they really burn that many art assets on creating what amount to optional, one-off gags?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Psion posted:

Are we going to see any of those environments again?

Not even once.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

A nail will get you out of the ship? I always brought the pruning shears with me for that one. They seemed like the most logical thing after the previous scene.

Also, you can get a few meaningless points by dropping a log on that bluff where Herman catches you, although I think it has to be there before you get spotted. It only works once, but it'll get you to safety.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
So what happens if you don't take any items on to the ship? Do you really need to make 1000 strokes to leave, or does the game take pity on you in some way?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Twilkitri posted:

So what happens if you don't take any items on to the ship? Do you really need to make 1000 strokes to leave, or does the game take pity on you in some way?

I think you can actually get to the Isle of Cats if you are willing to click 1000 times. I could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Oh man, that whole prison thing, I'd completely forgotten about it! It was the longest route but I loved it the best, even though it's a bit repetitive.

I can even remember what Rowena's voice sounds like. :allears: No wonder I like Ms Oldbag in the Ace Attourney games so much.

• Locked thread