Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
She stuck around long enough to make sure she got her Wrestlemania bonus check and left the game with her health. Good for her.

Kinda says something about wrestling/WWE that I'm always really happy when someone I'm a fan of retires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

how big is that wrestlemania check in this post-ppv world, tho

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

Cardboard Box posted:

how big is that wrestlemania check in this post-ppv world, tho

It's not so much a cheque as it is a 25% off voucher for WWE Shop.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
AJ showing up in another promotion, namely Lucha Underground, would actually be pretty rad. I don't think it's likely, but it'd be fun to see.

I initially thought she just wanted one last WM payday before heading out the door, but now I'm not so sure. It seems like she voiced the opinion that Divas should receive pay in the same neighborhood as male talent (though given the way wrestling is set up, this is the rare case where I don't think you can make a good "equal pay" argument since you have people all over the pay scale and women have their own separate thing going. I'd love to see women get more money in WWE, but it's not as simple as "this man and women are both C-level executives, but the man is making $20k more per year"), and then likely as a result of that she spent a hefty chunk of Wrestlemania napping, which I think it's safe to say isn't how she wanted to spend WM, and this might have been the last straw in a series of straws for her.

I do hope she pops in on Art of Wrestling, because she has to have a hell of a perspective on her career, life in WWE after Punk left, and WWE in general.

Oh, and I'll get a kick out of AJ chants during the next X amount of Raws as well.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Mister Perky posted:

Kinda says something about wrestling/WWE that I'm always really happy when someone I'm a fan of retires.

Between Justin Roberts' article, Steph's tweet and a lifetime of awful stories I've read through the years, a part of me is starting to be glad this industry is rotting away into nothing.

Yes, I know that's kind of a bad thing to hope but drat. Carnies, man.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 4, 2015

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Punk (chants) at her HoF induction will be so awesome.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Chromatic posted:

Between Justin Roberts' article, Steph's tweet and a lifetime of awful stories I've read through the years, a part of me is starting to be glad this industry is rotting away into nothing.

Yes, I know that's kind of a bad thing to hope but drat. Carnies, man.

The early 2000s were plenty enough to beat this attitude into me. Part of why I stopped watching for so long, really: guilt.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I like AJ so on one hand :( and on the other good for her gently caress this company

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

NowonSA posted:

AJ showing up in another promotion, namely Lucha Underground, would actually be pretty rad. I don't think it's likely, but it'd be fun to see.

Shimmer is next weekend, and she lives in Chicago now....

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Nikki Bella is now the biggest Hispanic star in WWE

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

TheHock posted:

Shimmer is next weekend, and she lives in Chicago now....

I'm sure she has a no-compete.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

electric funeral posted:

I'm sure she has a no-compete.

Rousey vs. Brooks

THATCHER BRAINWASH
Mar 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

IcePhoenix posted:

Do you mean the 13th or is it just being pretaped on the day before because otherwise it's just a house show.

Yes I mean the 13th!

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Fat Lowtax posted:

Nikki Bella is now the biggest Hispanic star in WWE

Only for about six more months until all that Kalisto merch starts moving.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Smoking Crow posted:

Rousey vs. Brooks

Punk would die

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
AJ is young and pretty and can talk, there's a decade of nerd girl acting appearances she can milk with ease

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
AJ ruled and will be missed. Can't wait for the Cabana interview.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Goodbye AJ. I will miss you in the ring and also all the Hanna Barbera specials.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can't wait to see AJ and Punk at Nerd Convention.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

WWE statement on Justin Roberts' blog:

quote:

It is offensive to suggest that WWE and its executives had anything but altruistic intentions in honoring Connor and his legacy with The Warrior Award. In conjunction with Connor’s father, Connor’s Cure was established by Stephanie McMahon and Paul Levesque to raise awareness and funds for pediatric cancer, and to honor a boy that so many people within the WWE family came to love. The fund is managed by the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation and has already raised more than $200,000 for pediatric cancer research. …

“WWE is proud to use our global platforms to raise awareness for important social causes, including Connor’s Cure as well as our longstanding partnership with Make A Wish, our on-going partnership with Susan G. Komen, which has resulted in more than $1.5 million in funds raised, and our international partnership with Special Olympics.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol it was a really bad idea to even acknowledge it

"It is offensive to suggest that WWE and its executives had anything but altruistic intentions in honoring Connor and his legacy with The Warrior Award."

jesus christ you idiots

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hell I think that settles it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

cams posted:

lol it was a really bad idea to even acknowledge it

"It is offensive to suggest that WWE and its executives had anything but altruistic intentions in honoring Connor and his legacy with The Warrior Award."

jesus christ you idiots

WWE Discussion: jesus christ you idiots

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Guys your chief brand officer tweeted this the same day you gave him an award. There's nothing offensive about saying you had other than altruistic intentions, she pretty much admitted it.

https://twitter.com/StephMcMahon/status/581881800659591168

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

That might have some traction if Stephanie hadn't literally tweeted that her charity is about marketing.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's really striking how loving terrible WWE is at PR. They might as well give the job to Scott Steiner at this point.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"You guys took a nice thing I was trying to do for a young, dying boy and turned it into a publicity stunt."

"Nuh uh, we're super nice! To prove it, here is a public statement about all the super nice things we do for everyone! We're so nice."

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Luigi Thirty posted:

whenever they try to rebut it just show them the worst tweet ever

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I just lost, to brands.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Tbf I'm on the board of directors of a thing and all I'll say is people talk a ton of poo poo even when you do have pure intentions. (Also it's a nonprofit and I don't get paid in case anyone thinks :10bux: is coloring my stance here.)

I guess what I'm saying is something about that Roberts blog hit me wrong and now I know what it was. That said WWE doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt but even if they did that doesn't stop people. Roberts owns though.

Also Gonzo is 100% right about the tweet. gently caress Steph.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 4, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hell that's what corporate charity is all about so it's good to acknowledge it and put it out in the open. WWE is just part of the new sincerity movement.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Hell that's what corporate charity is all about so it's good to acknowledge it and put it out in the open. WWE is just part of the new sincerity movement.

It's called the Reality Era™

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
That Steph tweet, especially with it coming right before the HOF, might be in the top 10 dumbest corporate moves I've seen in years.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Pretty much, take the show undercover boss the payoff is always the company being so awesome to it's employees by giving them something like a vacation or something retarded.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Isnt that an archaic way of thinking anyway? I cant recall any companies following a similar mindset recently. Then again I don't read much into economics because it makes me depressed.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Well admitting that wrestling was fake was good for WWE, maybe admitting that charity is just about tax breaks and making people like you will be good as well. :downs:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Photex posted:

Pretty much, take the show undercover boss the payoff is always the company being so awesome to it's employees by giving them something like a vacation or something retarded.

Loved that show.

"Boss found out that his employees work rediculously long hours and rarely see their family. One member of staff broke down in front of boss. Boss decided to spend more time with his family. He changed nothing about his companies exploitative business practices."

Amazing show.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's really striking how loving terrible WWE is at PR. They might as well give the job to Scott Steiner at this point.

Speaking of Steiner.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/92818/why-former-wcw-world-champion-was-barred-from-entering-wwe-hall-of-fame-event.html?p=1

quote:

Former WCW World champion Scott Steiner was barred from entering the WWE Hall of Fame event this past Saturday as security was given photos of Steiner in order to prevent him from entering the SAP Center.

From speaking to those in the company, the decision was made after Hulk Hogan requested that Steiner not be allowed to enter.

The version of the story that we have heard is that Steiner was on the same flight into San Jose as Hulk Hogan's wife Jennifer. While the two were waiting for their luggage at baggage claim, Steiner allegedly approached her, pretty much saying that the next time he saw Hulk Hogan, there was going to be an issue. I am told that at the time this happened, Hogan's wife wasn't even really aware of who Steiner was, so the entire exchange was pretty traumatic to her.

I was told that Hulk Hogan was telling those over the weekend that he has no idea why Steiner would do that or that the two sides even had an issue.

While we can't say this is 100% why there was an incident (and it should be pointed out there's no word yet on what Scott Steiner's side of this is) It's possible that Hogan, having been long-gone from TNA at this point, has forgotten that TNA and Steiner have an on-going legal issue stemming from Steiner's Twitter comments about Hogan and his daughter Brooke, Eric Bischoff and others after Steiner departed TNA.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

for future reference - if you do charitable work with the intention of telling people about it in order to improve your image, it is absolutely not "completely altruistic"

justin roberts was doing insanely nice things and going out of his way to make a young man's life better. you know how we know he did it because he was a good guy? because he didn't go around telling everyone about how awesome he was for doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cams posted:

for future reference - if you do charitable work with the intention of telling people about it in order to improve your image, it is absolutely not "completely altruistic"

justin roberts was doing insanely nice things and going out of his way to make a young man's life better. you know how we know he did it because he was a good guy? because he didn't go around telling everyone about how awesome he was for doing it.

He just did.

• Locked thread