Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

When you say "optimized characters" and "rewards abuse of the system" do you mean stuff like "combat character takes social disadvantages because they are never going to matter to him"?

If that is the case, than I can see where you are coming from. But there is the implication, and it is also spelled out in the book itself, that you are not supposed to give points for disadvantages that are not a problem in some way. If you are playing barbarians hunting mammoths in the Ice Age, it makes no sense to allow someone to take extra points because his character is poor. I feel it's unfair to ignore this tidbit of info just because it has no mechanical effects.

GURPS takes the toolbox approach to game design: it gives you a ton, and I do mean a ton, of options and leaves you to decide what are you going to use. A fast-paced hack and slash dungeon romp will only use the basic rules for combat; a tactical SWAT game will use all the aimed shots and everything else. This means that it needs rules to handle phobias and eye loss and stuff like that.

Is this for everyone? Hell no. But it seems like a valid choice to me.

That's a pretty basic example, but it works. One issue, though, is that the advice given is too vague to really be helpful. Not giving points for disadvantages that are not a problem in some way is all well and good, but how often does it have to come up to be a problem? It also doesn't address the real issue, which is that you are rewarded more for taking disads that apply as rarely as possible than for taking ones that apply regularly. It just shifts the boundary up to "ask your GM", which is not a reasonable thing to put on a novice GM. This also ignores things like "Cannot Use Time Machines" which I'm sure exist in at least one time travel splatbook, but which are effectively useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Walker posted:

It's partly my players, and mostly me. I'm frustrated that I bought all these 13th Age splatbooks I will never use. That came across in my post, it doesn't come across like that when I, y'know, talk to these people who are my friends.

I don't even want to be GM, I want to play, but you know how it is; run once and suddenly you're the GM forever. These are my friends and I feel like I owe it to them to give them some kind of good time. But I've never, ever had fun as GM, probably related to me being poo poo at it.

Sounds like you should talk to your group about what is and isn't fun for everyone :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

paradoxGentleman posted:

When you say "optimized characters" and "rewards abuse of the system" do you mean stuff like "combat character takes social disadvantages because they are never going to matter to him"?

If that is the case, than I can see where you are coming from. But there is the implication, and it is also spelled out in the book itself, that you are not supposed to give points for disadvantages that are not a problem in some way. If you are playing barbarians hunting mammoths in the Ice Age, it makes no sense to allow someone to take extra points because his character is poor. I feel it's unfair to ignore this tidbit of info just because it has no mechanical effects.

GURPS takes the toolbox approach to game design: it gives you a ton, and I do mean a ton, of options and leaves you to decide what are you going to use. A fast-paced hack and slash dungeon romp will only use the basic rules for combat; a tactical SWAT game will use all the aimed shots and everything else. This means that it needs rules to handle phobias and eye loss and stuff like that.

Is this for everyone? Hell no. But it seems like a valid choice to me.

This guy understands gurps.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Captain Walker posted:

It's partly my players, and mostly me. I'm frustrated that I bought all these 13th Age splatbooks I will never use. That came across in my post, it doesn't come across like that when I, y'know, talk to these people who are my friends.

I don't even want to be GM, I want to play, but you know how it is; run once and suddenly you're the GM forever. These are my friends and I feel like I owe it to them to give them some kind of good time. But I've never, ever had fun as GM, probably related to me being poo poo at it.

Dude I'm also the forever-GM with idiot players and the secret is that if you don't want to run a thing anymore you just go "well that was great, who's running something next week" and if nobody steps up then you play Mario Kart or something.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Captain Foo posted:

Sounds like you should talk to your group about what is and isn't fun for everyone :)

"I dunno what do you want to do? Oh, actually I kinda don't want to do that, I don't know what I want but most def not that."

Lynx Winters posted:

Dude I'm also the forever-GM with idiot players and the secret is that if you don't want to run a thing anymore you just go "well that was great, who's running something next week" and if nobody steps up then you play Mario Kart or something.

I'll give Fallout Apocalypse World a go, and if/when that fails, no more GMing for me.

it's me I'm the lovely useless chat thread traffic

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Captain Walker posted:

"I dunno what do you want to do? Oh, actually I kinda don't want to do that, I don't know what I want but most def not that."

I'll give Fallout Apocalypse World a go, and if/when that fails, no more GMing for me.

Suggestion: play Fiasco once, or take a break where you all do boardgames or something. Let yourself relax a little bit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Walker posted:

It's hard to game with people you don't have normal social relationships with.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Walker posted:

:justpost:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

That's a pretty basic example, but it works. One issue, though, is that the advice given is too vague to really be helpful. Not giving points for disadvantages that are not a problem in some way is all well and good, but how often does it have to come up to be a problem? It also doesn't address the real issue, which is that you are rewarded more for taking disads that apply as rarely as possible than for taking ones that apply regularly. It just shifts the boundary up to "ask your GM", which is not a reasonable thing to put on a novice GM. This also ignores things like "Cannot Use Time Machines" which I'm sure exist in at least one time travel splatbook, but which are effectively useless.

I think it could have better been phrased as 'disadvantages that will never meaningfully impact your character unless the GM specifically designs a situation for it to come up' instead of the vague 'never matter'. Basically a colorblind character probably will have the issue come up once or twice in some specific GM tailored 'the doors are red and green and only one of these doors leads out and the other leads to a trap' poo poo but if that's the only way the character would have to overcome his disability then he's obviously never going to actually be effected by it in 99% of the rest of the game. Plus it deals with the Time Machine problem too, yea no poo poo Og the caveman can't use a time machine, literally no one can in this world, Og will never have to unless the GM specifically says 'and suddenly there's a time machine buried in the ice! WHAT NOW OG?!'

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Sion posted:

Yeah, I'd say it was a crippling phobia by Indiana Jones standards. The rad, awesome swashbuckler brought low by invertebrates?

SNAKES ARE VERTEBRATES

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Snakes do not skate street. Halfpipes only.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Yeah, GURPS isn't particularly friendly to new GMs. It's a Toolbox Game, though. Part of the Game Master's responsibility is to pick and choose which rules and components, including advantages and disadvantages, to use. If you're doing a low fantasy Western, you shouldn't allow the players to take Innate Attack and firebomb everyone. That's how GURPS and other "universal" systems work. They include rules and doohickeys that probably won't work in every setting. No GM should be letting a character take Accounting unless they're in a setting where that'd be useful, and quite frankly, Falconry won't have much applications in the vast majority of games. Same with disadvantages. If colorblindness isn't going to disadvantage the player, it is a quirk at best.

I can understand your critique in the context that the GURPS Basic Set doesn't make that part explicitly clear, and I can understand how GURPS's handling of disadvantages can encourage a type of play you don't enjoy. None of that means GURPS is a bad system.

Also, Cannot Use Time Machines is a perfectly valid disadvantage when you're trying to escape time cops and have to rely on the natural rhythms of rifts. Of course, you might be one of those time cops, and you might be hunting down every last time criminal because you're Unique and don't want to be erased from existence.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Captain Foo posted:

You're the worst poster here.

He said, with no irony whatsoever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

Foo's right.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Today this thread has taught me that there are people in the world who think snakes are invertebrates.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Today this thread has taught me that there are people in the world who think snakes are invertebrates.
Of course they're invertebrates, snakes don't have legs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Of course they're invertebrates, snakes don't have legs.

You're an invertebrate.

Because you're a starfish.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GrizzlyCow posted:

Yeah, GURPS isn't particularly friendly to new GMs. It's a Toolbox Game, though. Part of the Game Master's responsibility is to pick and choose which rules and components, including advantages and disadvantages, to use. If you're doing a low fantasy Western, you shouldn't allow the players to take Innate Attack and firebomb everyone. That's how GURPS and other "universal" systems work. They include rules and doohickeys that probably won't work in every setting. No GM should be letting a character take Accounting unless they're in a setting where that'd be useful, and quite frankly, Falconry won't have much applications in the vast majority of games. Same with disadvantages. If colorblindness isn't going to disadvantage the player, it is a quirk at best.

I can understand your critique in the context that the GURPS Basic Set doesn't make that part explicitly clear, and I can understand how GURPS's handling of disadvantages can encourage a type of play you don't enjoy. None of that means GURPS is a bad system.

Also, Cannot Use Time Machines is a perfectly valid disadvantage when you're trying to escape time cops and have to rely on the natural rhythms of rifts. Of course, you might be one of those time cops, and you might be hunting down every last time criminal because you're Unique and don't want to be erased from existence.

These issues aren't just a GURPS thing. L5R suffers from it too. It's not because of it being a "toolkit" or a universal system. They will replicate because of how you get a one-time benefit but a continuing penalty from taking disads, and how they give increased mechanical power for something that has varying mechanical weight.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

You're an invertebrate.

Because you're a starfish.
Your insults can cut me in half but I will simply regrow.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lord Frisk posted:

Why would I be ironic about that?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You know, now I'm wondering if I started up a game whether I would even get any applications.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Weirdly, in the system that started this whole discussion about disads, they're a hybrid of both systems: You get a one-time benefit for them, and the 'strictly roleplaying' Savage Worlds hindrances like "Loyal" or "Hero" can get you bennies when you actually play them and they cause you trouble. The number of hindrances you can have is also sharply limited to one major and two minor, and don't give you that many points to purchase other stuff with. Taking all 3 gets you two stat bumps or 2 edges, or 2000 extra starting cash, or some combination thereof, so it's not really as abuse-prone as a lot of other systems, but it's also kind of a best/worst of both worlds.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

You know, now I'm wondering if I started up a game whether I would even get any applications.

You might, but would your applicants get a game?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

You would but after 3 months and only two pages of posts on the PBP game thread you would say "gently caress it" and peter out.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Effectronica posted:

It rewards players for abusing it. It makes optimized characters more likely to be dysfunctional in actual play. There are a number of disadvantages that exist, essentially, solely to be used for NPCs because NPCs are supposed to be built like PCs. The solution for these problems is "Ask your GM".

I think this is a dumb fight but I would point out that if 'optimised' characters are dysfunctional in play, they're not actually optimal. New GURPS players often layer on disadvantages, but you really pay for the extra points you get in terms of how they cut into a character's game effectiveness when you take too many. Experienced players who want to make optimal characters usually stick to one or two small disadvantages. There's not so much overwhelming power in having Broadsword 18 and ST 17 if you enter a state of near-total depression every morning and are often compelled to stop fighting your enemies when they ask you to.

It's in practise very difficult to abuse the Disadvantages system for increased game power unless you just ignore the rules. Most disads come with serious mechanical downsides that are set in stone by the system: alleviating their downsides, as you do by adding modifiers or improving your self-control roll, costs points. It's totally possible to make a lopsided chimera of a character by accident with GURPS, but that's a consequence of it being an open-ended toolset that is designed to accommodate anything. The weird, edge case disadvantages aren't designed to be used exclusively by NPCs: they're also designed to be taken by PCs in the rare case that they fill a need.

I'm not so much of a fan of the system any more, but I think this point just doesn't hold.

e: As for "disadvantages that never mechanically disadvantage you", those are called quirks and give you 1 point per. You can take up to five.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 5, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lot of people posting GURPS love in here.

Not sure if late april fools, or unironic.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

GURPS is pretty good. I wouldn't use it for everything, but games in a modern setting that you'd like to feel tense and scary are served well by its high lethality and the general tone of its combat rules (where having a gun and some time to aim it is more important than how many points you put into "gun" when designing your survival horror protagonist, for example).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

GURPS has some pretty good guidelines for its Disadvantages, even though I don't like that kind of stuff anymore. I think its biggest flaw is that they don't give those guidelines enough real estate in the book. It's too easy for people to skid across those and crash into a giant 50-page list of +10 garbage points. This is a problem many games have.

On the other hand, I think Demon: The Fallen Player's Guide was a ridiculous farce. A lot of that poo poo was like homebrew trash for hyperspecific campaigns, and what guidelines I recall are the usual non-advice paragraph from most 90's games about "well, it's optional." If you wanted all of that poo poo in a WoD book, it should've been a big essay about how to design your own, not a giant list of really fiddly min/max-y bullshit. It felt very much like busywork to pad out word count. But, well, oWoD.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'll have to check that out. I feel like oWoD was relatively refined by the time Demon rolled around, but the merits and flaws system was never a real system strength.

Pope Eggs Benedict
Jun 14, 2005

Like a leper messiah
I liked GURPS but I don't know if I have the patience for it anymore. Gotta be in precisely the right mood for it, I guess.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Android Blues posted:

I think this is a dumb fight but I would point out that if 'optimised' characters are dysfunctional in play, they're not actually optimal. New GURPS players often layer on disadvantages, but you really pay for the extra points you get in terms of how they cut into a character's game effectiveness when you take too many. Experienced players who want to make optimal characters usually stick to one or two small disadvantages. There's not so much overwhelming power in having Broadsword 18 and ST 17 if you enter a state of near-total depression every morning and are often compelled to stop fighting your enemies when they ask you to.

It's in practise very difficult to abuse the Disadvantages system for increased game power unless you just ignore the rules. Most disads come with serious mechanical downsides that are set in stone by the system: alleviating their downsides, as you do by adding modifiers or improving your self-control roll, costs points. It's totally possible to make a lopsided chimera of a character by accident with GURPS, but that's a consequence of it being an open-ended toolset that is designed to accommodate anything. The weird, edge case disadvantages aren't designed to be used exclusively by NPCs: they're also designed to be taken by PCs in the rare case that they fill a need.

I'm not so much of a fan of the system any more, but I think this point just doesn't hold.

e: As for "disadvantages that never mechanically disadvantage you", those are called quirks and give you 1 point per. You can take up to five.

This poster also gets it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elfgames posted:

You might, but would your applicants get a game?

:iceburn:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

Lot of people posting GURPS love in here.

Not sure if late april fools, or unironic.

I don't like gurps, but it is good.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I wanted to learn gurps but the people I play rpgs with hiss at the mention of it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TheTatteredKing posted:

I wanted to learn gurps but the people I play rpgs with hiss at the mention of it

Why do they do that?

Pope Eggs Benedict
Jun 14, 2005

Like a leper messiah
Because he plays with snakes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's pretty understandable to be leery of GURPS, it's like, gigantic and requires digestion. It's not as pick up and play as many of the hot systems these days, especially anything AW-derived which more or less runs on pure gasoline and can be picked up in twenty minutes of chatting.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Android Blues posted:

It's pretty understandable to be leery of GURPS, it's like, gigantic and requires digestion. It's not as pick up and play as many of the hot systems these days, especially anything AW-derived which more or less runs on pure gasoline and can be picked up in twenty minutes of chatting.

:agreed:

On the flip side, one of the strengths of a (good) pbta system is strong genre emulation, which you don't even want in a universal system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think that GURPS having a reputation of being a beast of a system to understand comes from the misunderstood implication that you'll want to or should use many of its rules right off the bat, when in reality it's even an official product to reduce the core of the system down to a single page handout. It certainly took me a careful reading of the Lite rules (and confirmation in the GURPS thread) before I was able to figure out that you can run GURPS in Theater-of-the-Mind if you wanted to.

===

On a separate note, I'm familiar with Night Witches and World Wide Wrestling: what other notable PbtA games are there, particularly ones that try to tackle completely different genres? Is there a James Bond World? A Call of Duty World? A Star Trek/Wars World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
GURPS is fine mechanically if you want a detailed and crunchy ruleset, but good lord it's got issues with presentation. For a game as scalable as it is, it does a piss-poor job of actually showing how to raise or lower the complexity for your game. Also, statting NPCs the same as PCs needs to loving go, and even at its simplest you still have to do it a little.

• Locked thread