Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Say what you will about Margaret Thatcher, jokes about buying everyone in Scotland a shovel so they can deliver her to Satan personally are hilarious, but curbstomping those stupid Argies was the greatest thing ever. Argentina has a lot in common with the American South. Delusions of past grandeur, inability to admit wrongdoing, inability to get over losing, endless whining, and electing bumbling retards. Their reaction to an imagined slight by Top Gear was far more violent (And probably backed by the government) than when the Alabama white trash reacted to intentional insult from the show.

Fun facts about the Falklands:
The people living there hate Argentina, even more so since the war, and recently voted to remain British. "Not fair, I only believe in self-determination when it works for me!"
They were uninhabited by the time the British colonized, so not stolen from anyone.
Most Argentinians are of European descent, for some nice contrast their ancestors did steal a country from a native population.
Argies are loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lol you actually care about these dumb loving islands

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Pistol_Pete posted:

yeah britain is dumb

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Pistol_Pete posted:

theyre surrounded by oil hth

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

Argentina has a lot in common with the American South. Delusions of past grandeur, inability to admit wrongdoing, inability to get over losing, endless whining, and electing bumbling retards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gprG2uW5zSw

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

RideTheSpiral posted:

theyre surrounded by oil hth
They probably aren't, but both the British and Argentinians hope they will be.

All there will end up being is massive disappointment and a Repsol-funded Argentinian invasion of somewhere that does actually have oil and gas like that one bit of Bolivia which is conveniently on the border.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's like someone made a musical about Eva Braun. Madonna is exactly the kind of moron who would star in an adaptation of this, and lo and behold 15 years later she directs a movie about Nazi sympathizer and generally lovely person Wallis Simpson. Because her little lizard brain reasons that it's a magical love story.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Beef Turret posted:

It did have people before europeans actually

Yeah, then they all died out/left. Meaning Argentina has as much of a claim to the Falklands as Norway has to Greenland.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
argentina is white

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Job Truniht posted:

argentina is white
If anything we should be mad at them for stealing a country from a native population. Check your privilege stupid Argie crackers.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SjgYMLJW0k

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Who the hell was Falk anyway?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Job Truniht posted:

argentina is white

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
realtalk though, the falklands war is practically the only mid-scale naval/air war the world has seen since world war II, and even the lovely argentine air force sunk six considerably modern british warships and damaged a bunch of other ones.

and now neocons want the U.S. to go to war with iran, which has the whole persian gulf targeted with even better chinese anti-ship missiles lol. and doesn't even have to fly actual airplanes to fire them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

HJB posted:

Who the hell was Falk anyway?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscount_Falkland

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I love the commonality that make Argentine Malvinas a thing for Irish nationalists. British people took your country? Hey, us too! Let's be friends!

Apparently there was an Irish adventurer who became an admiral in the Argentine navy and helped them fight the Brits back in the day, and there's still a song about him covered by the pro-IRA bands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BniyC33QdjM

quote:

And the Southern Cross take note where bold Willie Bullfin wrote
The Irish still support you Argentina
With the Empire tumbling down let no Paddies back the crown
"Las Islas Malvinas, Argentinas"

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 5, 2015

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Gonna be lol when the tpp goes through and american corporations start seizing Argentine state assets for all those defaulted loans

Its good the Kirchener administration has used all their time and money on more important things, like subsidizing soccer tickets and requiring the phrase "The Malvinas are Argentine" to be placed on public transportation

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
indisputably an inherent part of the territory of japan

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Argies are loving pussies

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

KiteAuraan posted:

Yeah, then they all died out/left. Meaning Argentina has as much of a claim to the Falklands as Norway has to Greenland.

I didn't say it had any bearing on who has rightful claim to that island. Just that it's almost certain that amerinds went there and noticed there weren't any trees or w/e and said fts

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
lets give Gibraltar back to spain while we're at it lmbo

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Casimir Radon posted:

Say what you will about Margaret Thatcher, jokes about buying everyone in Scotland a shovel so they can deliver her to Satan personally are hilarious, but curbstomping those stupid Argies was the greatest thing ever. Argentina has a lot in common with the American South. Delusions of past grandeur, inability to admit wrongdoing, inability to get over losing, endless whining, and electing bumbling retards. Their reaction to an imagined slight by Top Gear was far more violent (And probably backed by the government) than when the Alabama white trash reacted to intentional insult from the show.

The people living there hate Argentina, even more so since the war, and recently voted to remain British. "Not fair, I only believe in self-determination when it works for me!"
They were uninhabited by the time the British colonized, so not stolen from anyone.
Most Argentinians are of European descent, for some nice contrast their ancestors did steal a country from a native population.

yeah but I just googled "hot Argentina soccer fans" and so pretty much all your arguments are null and void

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

so why do all other south ameros hate argentinians? Is it cuz they dont pretend to have indigineous blood and look down on sunkissed skinners there?

because they think they are hot poo poo and always claim they are the best at everything despite the fact their country has been circling down the drain for the last century

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Argentines are white!

*embassy interviewer nods sagely, writes latino*

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Argentinians are white in spirit if not in body or deed

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

This but unironically. God Bless Maggie Thatcher, and I'm scottish.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
i work with an argentinian dude. he's a nice, cool dude. gets paid in USD and has to drive to chile to get it though

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Fat Lowtax posted:

A country of Italians who speak Spanish and act British.

Seriously, Argentina is like 98% European or Levantine descended. It and Uruguay are the whitest places in the Americas.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
gegen argentina

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Fat Lowtax posted:

Argentinians are racist enough they didn't gently caress the natives so they're all either European white or straight Indians

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Feliz Pascua a todos los argentinos futuros que viven en las Malvinas.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
That's worse than Google Translate.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so do argis talk in that gay spanish lisp like their forebears?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

so do argis talk in that gay spanish lisp like their forebears?

No, but they use voseo.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Perhaps if the Argentinians gave Patagonia back to the Welsh, they might be given the Falklands?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
It's funny because Argentinians run around saying they own the Falkland islands based on no legal pretext in the same way they run around telling everyone they are white Europeans. No-one believes them or listens to them any more and boy do they get mad when you point out how wrong they are.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

It's funny because Argentinians run around saying they own the Falkland islands based on no legal pretext in the same way they run around telling everyone they are white Europeans. No-one believes them or listens to them any more and boy do they get mad when you point out how wrong they are.
on a scale of 1 to 10 jean luc picards smashing the display case in star trek: first contact, how mad are we talking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the only thing worse than argentinians is the british though.

like somehow every british fucker on this board has to show up and defend their lovely island

• Locked thread