Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

OTOH you should spoil DieBuster as much as possible. Despite what its op might tell you, that show actually isn't groovin' and should be avoided at all costs.

You are going into the furnace instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

You are going into the furnace instead.

I love you too. <3

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I love you too. <3

Visually it's an incredible treat because it's all of Gainax's top talent on their height contributing to a project with a really high budget, you got Sushio and Yoh Yoshinari collaborating on the same cut together, that's incredible!

Storywise I think it's way more coherent and potent than gunbuster too, but that's definitely more subjective.

It has less 80's hair though, a definite negative.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Really though, while I generally agree that a work that SOLELY relies on a plot twist probably isn't very good, I think there's plenty of works out there that do use plot twists effectively that a reasonable "don't needlessly spoil things" policy is, well, reasonable to consider a basic part of common courtesy. Like what ADTRW basically has already in the rules.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Diebuster's problem is that there's just not enough of it and the pacing just feels like it's plowing through without giving you a chance to decompress and take in new developments.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Really though, while I generally agree that a work that SOLELY relies on a plot twist probably isn't very good, I think there's plenty of works out there that do use plot twists effectively that a reasonable "don't needlessly spoil things" policy is, well, reasonable to consider a basic part of common courtesy. Like what ADTRW basically has already in the rules.

I usually just talk around stuff out of common courtesy, but I think obvious exceptions should be for shows that are old enough to drive and like, the thread of the day the new episode is airing, tons of black bars over entire posts looks lame.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Diebuster's problem is that there's just not enough of it and the pacing just feels like it's plowing through without giving you a chance to decompress and take in new developments.

It has a way stronger cast that gets to develop more than gunbuster's did though, so I don't think it also being faster paced is as much of a negative.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All true, I just wish there were more Diebuster.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

All true, I just wish there were more Diebuster.

Unfortunately there never will be, but I hope trigger stops making bad shows and gives making a show as good a shot someday.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

I usually just talk around stuff out of common courtesy, but I think obvious exceptions should be for shows that are old enough to drive and like, the thread of the day the new episode is airing, tons of black bars over entire posts looks lame.

Are the black bars while new episodes air really a problem? I don't watch much anime as it airs, but it seems like in the few threads that I have, they only last for a couple of pages

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

Are the black bars while new episodes air really a problem? I don't watch much anime as it airs, but it seems like in the few threads that I have, they only last for a couple of pages

It's pretty much just common courtesy for the rush of "bunch of new posts, oh hey new episode". It generally dies off after half an hour or so because everyone's caught up by then.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I think making posts harder to read is annoying for no real benefit, posts should be made clearly and as often as can be, as long as your heart is true.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

At the absolute worst end of the spectrum you get stuff like the tv forums insane paranoia about game of throne spoilers, where people were getting banned for accidentally forgetting which thread was the open discussion one and which one wasn't.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah TVIV's kind of a hellhole of spoiler-paranoia to an unhealthy degree.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah TVIV's kind of a hellhole of spoiler-paranoia to an unhealthy degree.

I agree banning's way too far, all it really probably needs is a mod doing a quick post edit on them and maybe a six-hour slap to be more careful. And that's at worst. I get where it's kinda coming from though, just because Game of Thrones is a big deal to a lot of people with a shitload of people avoiding book spoilers, so it probably needs to be enforced a touch more judiciously than normal.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I agree banning's way too far, all it really probably needs is a mod doing a quick post edit on them and maybe a six-hour slap to be more careful. And that's at worst. I get where it's kinda coming from though, just because Game of Thrones is a big deal to a lot of people with a shitload of people avoiding book spoilers, so it probably needs to be enforced a touch more judiciously than normal.

It's garbage that nobody should care about.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh nooooooo the fantasy man got stabbed, give that man the 6 hour slap.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

based on what I've read about GoT on SA, it's about lots of named characters dying, sex, and pooping

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In Tenchi Muyo it turns out the whole universe revolves around Tenchi

sorry yall

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Diebusters problem is you can't top killing the galaxy to save the human race, and throwing earth is a really loving stupid plan, especially considering there are other planets in the solar system. It's also kind of uneven in it's plot progress, since there's the random episode about the one girl getting a new buster machine and then she's not important for the rest of the show. It feels like an episode for a longer running show but it's really just filler. Diebuster has a fabulous very very good ending though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

At the absolute worst end of the spectrum you get stuff like the tv forums insane paranoia about game of throne spoilers, where people were getting banned for accidentally forgetting which thread was the open discussion one and which one wasn't.

My favorite part about that is the person who made the tv thread would close the thread if someone posted spoilers, and would even close it when some of the posters had spoiler avatars, and wouldn't reopen the thread until the spoilers/avatars were removed.

SPOILER ALARM BZZZZZZZZZZZ

NO MORE DISCUSSING THE SHOW UNTIL I GIVE THE ALL CLEAR

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is that why FYAD renamed itself to a game of thrones spoiler, or was that unrelated?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Is that why FYAD renamed itself to a game of thrones spoiler, or was that unrelated?

It was deliberate.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
Finished watching this show recently, and wow - it needed at least another five or so episodes to flesh out the world that Tomino was trying to build.

Wanted to see more of the Venusian society and stuff, because hey - we made it to Venus! I also secretly wished the Reconguista was successful, so a resistance-style story narrative could have taken off for a second season (which won't exist).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jegan Ace posted:

Finished watching this show recently, and wow - it needed at least another five or so episodes to flesh out the world that Tomino was trying to build.

Wanted to see more of the Venusian society and stuff, because hey - we made it to Venus! I also secretly wished the Reconguista was successful, so a resistance-style story narrative could have taken off for a second season (which won't exist).

It needed 5 more episodes so the end wasn't a wet fart and things didn't keep 'happening' and the passage of time had remotely any meaning.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I would gladly sacrifice fixing all those issues if the five episodes were instead about whatever the hell Klim Nick was doing while everyone else was going to Venus

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Sharkopath posted:

It has less 80's hair though, a definite negative.

it's the main reason i can't get into diebuster in spite of absolutely adoring gunbuster for dumb baby reasons

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

it's the main reason i can't get into diebuster in spite of absolutely adoring gunbuster for dumb baby reasons

I feel you, as a fan of big poofy 80s anime hair.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Here's a spoiler Reconguista in G was loving garbage and the only people who are defending it are doing contortions that you usually see in Chinese acrobatic troops' acts.

No really, it was a bad show. I have no idea how anyone is still talking about this show as anything other than a call for Tomino to please just go away.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Here's a spoiler Reconguista in G was loving garbage and the only people who are defending it are doing contortions that you usually see in Chinese acrobatic troops' acts.

No really, it was a bad show. I have no idea how anyone is still talking about this show as anything other than a call for Tomino to please just go away.

It's getting reruns in Japan because enough people liked it and called for it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

So much salt for a cartoon, haha.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Actually, it is a good show. The people who are hating are doing contortions that you usually see in Chinese acrobatic acts.

No, but seriously if you hate G-Reco you just might hate art.

Edit: To explain my reasoning: G-Reco is different from a lot of current anime, so most haters don't like it because it's different. If you like things just because they don't conform to your narrow views, you hate art.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 7, 2015

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, it is a good show. The people who are hating are doing contortions that you usually see in Chinese acrobatic acts.

No, but seriously if you hate G-Reco you just might hate art.

Edit: To explain my reasoning: G-Reco is different from a lot of current anime, so most haters don't like it because it's different. If you like things just because they don't conform to your narrow views, you hate art.

lol Bad science fiction isn't art.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

So much salt for a cartoon, haha.

Two Gundams in the same season turned out to be too much for some folks, and even after they're over the rage still burns...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lol Bad science fiction isn't art.

Every anime is art, even the terrible and/or creepy ones done to pander to otaku. That's, like, super basic.

But also G-Reco is good, so your argument isn't valid anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everyone knows lovely art is still art, this isn't even like a controversial statement or anything.

^E: :geno:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Every anime is art, even the terrible and/or creepy ones done to pander to otaku. That's, like, super basic.

But also G-Reco is good, so your argument isn't valid anyway.

I've yet to see how that absolute mess that barely had any explanation, exposition, or resolution can be considered a good show. You even have one of the most interesting struggles (former class of people used as loving FOOD wanting to fight for their rights, honor, etc) come down to "oh well, never mind". None of the characters had any more depth than Tomino just visiting old tropes of his past shows just to throw on the screen. Vague ideas and fan service don't make a quality show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've yet to see how that absolute mess that barely had any explanation, exposition, or resolution can be considered a good show. You even have one of the most interesting struggles (former class of people used as loving FOOD wanting to fight for their rights, honor, etc) come down to "oh well, never mind". None of the characters had any more depth than Tomino just visiting old tropes of his past shows just to throw on the screen. Vague ideas and fan service don't make a quality show.

Quality isn't dependent on one aspect, people like the show for a variety of reasons.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

G-Reco didn't shoot to the top of my favorite Gundams list (it's definitely in top 5, tied with others) like for some others, but it's got enough good qualities that the hate is kinda baffling. Some of the best mechanical design in the franchise, dynamic fights, great character animation, several likable and interesting characters (Aida, Klim, Cumpa, etc), and the resolution was both obvious and satisfying. I also really liked the lighter tone and humor in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

G-Reco didn't shoot to the top of my favorite Gundams list (it's definitely in top 5, tied with others) like for some others, but it's got enough good qualities that the hate is kinda baffling. Some of the best mechanical design in the franchise, dynamic fights, great character animation, several likable and interesting characters (Aida, Klim, Cumpa, etc), and the resolution was both obvious and satisfying. I also really liked the lighter tone and humor in the show.

Don't forget that on-average they had way more units on the field than BFT and still managed to turn out great fight scenes.

• Locked thread