Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice
Yeah the only reason I said that is because it was during a music festival in town so there was an abundance of interesting looking folks. You're right though, shoot shoot shoot shoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002
I need to shoot something other than faces but in the meantime

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

This is just lovely.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Does this work? I'm not sure, there are a few aspects I'm pretty unhappy with but I'd like your thoughts.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It almost works, it's in an uncomfortable middle ground. In my opinion, you should commit to the abstraction and play around with muting the colors and tones with aplomb.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I wish the towel pile was flipped horizontally on her head. That'd have owned.

widunder
May 2, 2002

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Who's a Pretty Bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

food thread is that way

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

food thread is that way

Not everyone is in as big of a rush as you to cram a cock down their throat.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

8th-snype posted:

Not everyone is in as big of a rush as you to cram a cock down their throat.

:drat: :boom:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Dave by francography, on Flickr

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

:eyepop:

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Hot drat. A+++ username, by the way.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

It's magenta. And cool.

widunder
May 2, 2002

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Something about it bugs me and it's probably the missing face - it either needs to be shown, or she needs more hair in her face. What do you think?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

bobmarleysghost posted:

Something about it bugs me and it's probably the missing face - it either needs to be shown, or she needs more hair in her face. What do you think?

It looks like she's tilting to the left which is bugging me a bit

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

bobmarleysghost posted:

I think it's the amount of not-not-face in the frame.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

It looks like she's tilting to the left which is bugging me a bit

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I think it's the amount of not-not-face in the frame.

poo poo, both of you guys are right. My excuse for the tilt is that I didn't have a horizon to straighten against!
I like that crop.

I don't have ps access at the moment, but I'll throw the crop version up on ig anyway

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 30, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Edward by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Edward moved to Ethiopia last year from Washington, DC with his Ethiopian wife Jasmine to manage the Befikir Kossoye Lodge. He made the best Western-style dinner I had in Ethiopia.

He had lived in Gondar as a child when his father was stationed there. It's changed a lot, he says, in 50 years.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
All your photos are pretty brilliant but I like these environmental portraits the best.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Is that man wearing a zebra/tiger striped cravat? If so... well done to him.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

is this shot on a nishika?

just got my first fixed 50mm and it's really changed my outlook in a way i didn't expect. i still feel very amateurish but i can see what a path to improvement more easily when taking shots with this lens.

IMG_0201 by kidkissinger
IMG_0363 by kidkissinger,

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, 50mm on APS-C is a good portrait length, kinda like an 80 on full-frame.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

I've gotten interested in environmental portraits. I was wondering whether you guys had any favorite environmental portraits, or photographers who do environmental portraits.

From a few pages back:

I have always been a fan of Annie Leibovitz' environmental portraits. Sure she's low hanging fruit at this point but whatever. She clearly puts as much thought into the content/lighting of the environment as well as the subject and it really shows. Some of my favorites are from American Music, which can be had for like $12 and is full of really great stuff. Seriously for $10-12 there is no reason not to own this book because it's wonderful.

I apologize for the quality, I don't think high res scans of this stuff have ever been released, so instead you get crap-tier GIS stand ins. They're good enough that you get the idea though.

The Roots

DJ Shadow

e: There's no reflection in the actual photo.

Johnny Cash

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 5, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

bencreateddisco posted:

is this shot on a nishika?

yup!

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
what iso do you use in yours?

is there a thread anywhere on them?

I've had one for a bit and have never gotten great results.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I've had good results with daylight and 400 ISO. I've also used a hotshoe flash at night and gotten good results.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

bencreateddisco posted:

what iso do you use in yours?

is there a thread anywhere on them?

I've had one for a bit and have never gotten great results.

It expects you to use 100 speed film, but I've only used 400. That's only 2 stops different in the end, which portra 400 can handle no problem.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Oh oops thought he was talking about the Nimslo. I think the Nimslo has a switch for 100 and 400 ISO.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Chill Callahan posted:

Oh oops thought he was talking about the Nimslo. I think the Nimslo has a switch for 100 and 400 ISO.

The Nishika 9000 also has a switch that I believe switches it from f/8 to f/11. There used to be a toy camera thread, I think it has fallen into archives.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Chill Callahan posted:

My nimslo will be here monday. Too bad I gave away all my 35mm film months ago

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Geektox posted:

The Nishika 9000 also has a switch that I believe switches it from f/8 to f/11. There used to be a toy camera thread, I think it has fallen into archives.

Yup, it does. I just use the "sunny" switch all the time with 400 speed.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Edward by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Edward moved to Ethiopia last year from Washington, DC with his Ethiopian wife Jasmine to manage the Befikir Kossoye Lodge. He made the best Western-style dinner I had in Ethiopia.

He had lived in Gondar as a child when his father was stationed there. It's changed a lot, he says, in 50 years.

This owns, love it.

So the last weekend I tried doing a couple portraits without photo lighting - CFL's suck and are terrible to use and I'm never doing this again until I get some strobes.

DSC_9578 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_9549 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_9564 by chazaraz, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

1st AD posted:

This owns, love it.

So the last weekend I tried doing a couple portraits without photo lighting - CFL's suck and are terrible to use and I'm never doing this again until I get some strobes.

DSC_9578 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_9549 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_9564 by chazaraz, on Flickr

What did you do with your curves? Something besides the CFL color is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I did some slight desaturation in the red and green channels, I also desaturated the background since the color wasn't consistent from shot to shot.