Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Blasmeister posted:

you could say that him turning heel for real was a 'wrong choice he felt poo poo about afterwards'

Except for when he punched out Miz. That was the one KO punch he was ordered to deliver where there was absolutely ZERO hesitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Except for when he punched out Miz. That was the one KO punch he was ordered to deliver where there was absolutely ZERO hesitation.

I'm referring to his survivor series turn to join the authority just in time for them to be removed from power. The promo on the following RAW asking the crowd for a do-over was so good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The_Master posted:

Triple H and Kevin Nash apparently had a Sledgehammer Ladder match in 2011. I haven't seen it, but I can't imagine a ladder match with two middle aged guys whose quads have the stability of water balloons would be all that great.

Aside from the Nash/HHH feud derailing the hottest angle they had in years with Punk's pipebomb, and Nash's ring return being something nobody asked for, the dumbest thing about the match itself was that it was a weapon at the top of a ladder. Whoever got it would basically be admitting they couldn't put the other one away by usual methods, or you know, anything else around ringside. No, a legit murder weapon had to be climbed toward and acquired, and then actually obtaining it wasn't even a victory condition because it could be easily dropped. The promoted stipulation of the match was entirely optional.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

The_Master posted:

Triple H and Kevin Nash apparently had a Sledgehammer Ladder match in 2011. I haven't seen it, but I can't imagine a ladder match with two middle aged guys whose quads have the stability of water balloons would be all that great.

It was so bad that I forgot I had paid for that PPV

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Blasmeister posted:

I'm referring to his survivor series turn to join the authority just in time for them to be removed from power. The promo on the following RAW asking the crowd for a do-over was so good.

Noted.

The zero-hesitation KO punch on Miz was still hilarious, though.

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark
As a self-loathing Nash mark, even I thought that ladder match was garbage. Honestly a contender for worst ladder match in the WWE. Off the top of my head nothing is worse.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The actual worst ladder match ever is a tie between all of the 3 minute ladder matches Russo would book in TNA where they would use one ladder with the TNA logo on it. It always felt like a pathetic ratings ploy, which it was.

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark
Sabu vs. Sandman? I meant that's kind of the torch-bearer for bad ladder matches.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Actually wait, the worst ladder match might be the Ladder vs. Submission match between Sabu and Ken Shamrock that ended in The Wall running in and stealing the NWA Title.

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark

Great White Hope posted:

Actually wait, the worst ladder match might be the Ladder vs. Submission match between Sabu and Ken Shamrock that ended in The Wall running in and stealing the NWA Title.

this honestly sounds like the best ladder match

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Great White Hope posted:

Ladder vs. Submission

This reminds me of a spot I always hated: When Jericho would do the Walls to Benoit on a ladder.

It looks cool in theory, but the really awkward setup always took me out of it.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I may have asked this before, but did the build for early WCW/NWA PPVs happen on WCW Saturday Night or did the build include events happening on Mid-South Wrestling, Memphis, World Class TV, etc. as well? It seems like a lot of those early big cards were in the Carolinas, but it was all still under the NWA Umbrella so I'm not clear on if it included matches from stuff built elsewhere.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Burt Buckle posted:

I may have asked this before, but did the build for early WCW/NWA PPVs happen on WCW Saturday Night or did the build include events happening on Mid-South Wrestling, Memphis, World Class TV, etc. as well? It seems like a lot of those early big cards were in the Carolinas, but it was all still under the NWA Umbrella so I'm not clear on if it included matches from stuff built elsewhere.

The NWA at that point was basically window dressing for Jim Crockett promotions. Crockett controlled the champion and by the time he started running PPVs WCCW wasn't even a member. WCCW and Memphis were more affiliated with the AWA by that point. The shows were promoted on his TV and after the sale on WCW TV.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Burt Buckle posted:

The thing is that from the early mid-80s the NWA was basically Jim Crockett Promotions. Up until 1988 when Turner bought the whole thing and turned it into WCW which eventually ditched NWA in 1993 because they didn't need them anymore.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

The NWA at that point was basically window dressing for Jim Crockett promotions. Crockett controlled the champion and by the time he started running PPVs WCCW wasn't even a member. WCCW and Memphis were more affiliated with the AWA by that point. The shows were promoted on his TV and after the sale on WCW TV.

MrBling posted:

The thing is that from the early mid-80s the NWA was basically Jim Crockett Promotions. Up until 1988 when Turner bought the whole thing and turned it into WCW which eventually ditched NWA in 1993 because they didn't need them anymore.

Thank you. I always get this dumb idea that I want to watch old wrestling for completion's sake. It always ends in me wondering why I made this decision. Then I see Ric Flair and everything is okay again.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

That Sabu/RVD ladder match from WWECW isnt as asinine as some of the TNA or WCW ones but its got to be one of the worst worked ladder matches ever

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Burt Buckle posted:

Thank you. I always get this dumb idea that I want to watch old wrestling for completion's sake. It always ends in me wondering why I made this decision. Then I see Ric Flair and everything is okay again.

You should watch old wrestling, it rules.

Jim Crockett Promotions/WCW from like 85 up to and including 89 is great.

edit: att: Massrafter. If you feel like showing some Saturday Night on your thing I can hook you up, with like almost all of it from 1989 and up. Since I guess it won't be on the network anytime soon.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 6, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Late 80's/Early 90's WCW owns so hard that Lex Luger is actually good.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Based on what little I've seen so far, the camera work sucks, but the promos from the 80s are far better than what I see when I watch Raw, but I admittedly don't watch WWE outside of the PPVs nowadays.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is Sabu/Sandman that match that goes for like half an hour and got a scathing write up in the Observer?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Burt Buckle posted:

Based on what little I've seen so far, the camera work sucks, but the promos from the 80s are far better than what I see when I watch Raw, but I admittedly don't watch WWE outside of the PPVs nowadays.

WWE is a product that is beautifully presented, but lacking all the spontaneity and passion of old wrestling. You know, the stuff that makes you care and gets you invested in it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Didn't Dreamer and Justin Credible have a terrible ladder match?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

oatgan posted:

That Sabu/RVD ladder match from WWECW isnt as asinine as some of the TNA or WCW ones but its got to be one of the worst worked ladder matches ever

Every move was a botch. It was amazing. Only thing that would have made it better is that I read an interview with RVD where he said that his dream Wrestlemania match would be a ladder match against Sabu.

That match at Mania would have been worse than anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Every move was a botch. It was amazing. Only thing that would have made it better is that I read an interview with RVD where he said that his dream Wrestlemania match would be a ladder match against Sabu.

That match at Mania would have been worse than anything.

It would have been more entertaining for the car crash value than lame poo poo like Hardy vs. Hardy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Endless Mike posted:

Eric Bischoff was the only person who ever found celebrity matches fun.

Karl Malone was a good athlete who could probably put on a decent match if he was working with great workers, not Hogan and Rodman.

The problem is that WCW had celebrity matches allllll the loving time, and it seemed like the star quality went down while the celebrity push went up. Even on the BatB98 card, they had Giant vs. Kevin Greene. They had like 300 guys in the back who wanted to be on TV - why are they hiring more expensive celebs to poo poo up the ring?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Red posted:

Karl Malone was a good athlete who could probably put on a decent match if he was working with great workers, not Hogan and Rodman.

The problem is that WCW had celebrity matches allllll the loving time, and it seemed like the star quality went down while the celebrity push went up. Even on the BatB98 card, they had Giant vs. Kevin Greene. They had like 300 guys in the back who wanted to be on TV - why are they hiring more expensive celebs to poo poo up the ring?

Nothing entices a wrestling promoter more than the thought of maintaining or growing a mainstream following.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

who is kevin greene

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

epitasis posted:

who is kevin greene

Steelers linebacker from the 90s

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Burt Buckle posted:

the other cool thing is that you can see Barry Windham when he was great and Eddie Gilbert who was always great.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

epitasis posted:

who is kevin greene

linebacker for the rams, steelers

#3 all time in sacks, probably should be in the hof

when he was wrestling, he was a carolina panther, and wcw was promoting him for the main event in slamboree '97, which was being held in charlotte

of course that same card had reggie white wrestling steve mcmichael for some reason

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

Didn't Dreamer and Justin Credible have a terrible ladder match?

They sure did. In the advertising it was promoted as a Stairway to Hell match. When we got to the building it was announced that the commission wouldn't allow barbed wire (sure Paul) so they were putting a Singapore cane up instead. The bait and switch made a lame match that much lamer.

MrBling posted:

You should watch old wrestling, it rules.

Jim Crockett Promotions/WCW from like 85 up to and including 89 is great.

edit: att: Massrafter. If you feel like showing some Saturday Night on your thing I can hook you up, with like almost all of it from 1989 and up. Since I guess it won't be on the network anytime soon.

I wish I had time for that, the 86 and 89 TV is great.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oatgan posted:

This was a travesty because Angle was supposed to be in the match as a 3-way before he abruptly left WWE

I was SO loving HYPED for that 3-way :(

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

Steelers linebacker from the 90s

He was actually in Carolina by the time he started in WCW.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is Sabu/Sandman that match that goes for like half an hour and got a scathing write up in the Observer?

It only goes for like, 20 minutes! I for some reason have fond memories of this match. It was at House Party 98, does anyone know if it's available on the Network?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thauros posted:

He was actually in Carolina by the time he started in WCW.

I'm a Steelers fan so that's how I like to remember him

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ayn rand hand job posted:

linebacker for the rams, steelers

#3 all time in sacks, probably should be in the hof

when he was wrestling, he was a carolina panther, and wcw was promoting him for the main event in slamboree '97, which was being held in charlotte

of course that same card had reggie white wrestling steve mcmichael for some reason

wait like minister of defense reggie white

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NickRoweFillea posted:

wait like minister of defense reggie white

Yes.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

does Jack Evans Girl still exist? She ruined many ROH DVDs for me a decade ago.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I'm going to see WWE RAW on Monday and I haven't really paid attention to what's going on in WWE since Wrestlemania XV. What's the best place to find out a summary of the main storylines that are going on at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Chris Benoit killed his wife and kid then hung himself.

Other than that just set aside 24 minutes, search 'Wrestling isn't Wrestling' on Youtube and you should be good to go.