Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully they are patching the stuck per encounter abilities this time around. I want to use Aloths grimoire slam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

babypolis posted:

It seems that besides the stat stacking and double click bug there weren't any other major bugs. People were quick to pounce on the "lol another buggy Obsidian game" meme but its actually a remarkably smooth release for a big and complex RPG

Well my game takes up to a minute to quit to the main menu and loading a save might cause it to crash or might just take an insanely long time. That's probably because I'm hovering around the minimum specs though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hopper posted:

Hopefully they are patching the stuck per encounter abilities this time around. I want to use Aloths grimoire slam.

Might not work with the current version now that there's a new patch, but I was able to fix this by re-leveling the companion through the IE mod console commands, figure just removing then adding the ability should work as well.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
But wouldn't that disable "mah cheevos"?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hopper posted:

But wouldn't that disable "mah cheevos"?

Nope! Activating the console "iroll20s" does that, but the mod makes console comands work by default as well as ads some new ones. It even has one to re-activate achievements if you already disabled them by accident.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
In-game console commands do disable achievements, but IE mod console commands don't iirc.

beaten

e: Another fun comman line reason to use IE mod: SetZoomRange minvalue maxvalue. Maxvalue seems to top out somewhere between 200 to 300 - it's not strategic zoom levels or anything but you can zoom much farther out than the base values. Makes the pan -> click -> wait aspect of traveling easier. You can set Minvalue as low as 0.1 which is very close and quite ugly.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 7, 2015

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Once again it falls upon me to make quality mods for hit new video games, so I've taken great pains to produce the ultimate mod for Pillars of Eternity:

Shark Mouth Mod

Pillars is a great game, but I felt the included chanter companion was severely underpowered. I mean, his abilities and stats are fine, but if I'm going to believe he's a truly powerful battle singer I need a character and voice that's got some weight and fame behind it. As such I've replaced the character of Kana with Shark Mouth, the Eora equivalent of a certain real-world musical superstar.

Shark Mouth has sung songs in front of thousands in Dyrwood, and is known for providing the background tracks for the Aumua-animated film series Shrak. This mod replaces all chants and generic movement / combat reaction voice files. With Shark Mouth in your party, you can finally consider your team of adventurers All Stars.

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/40/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Shrak Mouth Eat the Eggs!!!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

MMD3 posted:

what are some good Cipher abilities I should work on picking up?

I really feel like spells are very hit or miss and I hate the idea that I'm going to spend a level on an ability that ends up being worthless.

I consider Mental Binding and Ectopsychic Echo to be the must-haves. Otherwise, get what interests you. The (level 3?) Dominate can be good- I'd skip the level 1 Charm power, since it debuffs your target so thoroughly that you may as well just Mental Bind them. There's an AoE Dominate later on, but you have to choose between that and some really nice/cool level 5/6 stuff, so I'd stick with the single-target dominate. I really want to remember it's name, buuuut I can't- it's blue and it looks like puppet strings coming down from a hand.

As far as stuff to avoid, I got the AoE that causes every enemy to count as flanked, and I've barely ever used it- in most encounters long enough for it to come into your rotation, you'll already have someone flanking whatever the big bad is.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Spikeguy posted:

That all sounds great. But...I'm already lord of my stronghold now. And it's not bad to have a dragon in my debt.

I thought the first rule was: Never do a deal with a dragon.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

babypolis posted:

It seems that besides the stat stacking and double click bug there weren't any other major bugs. People were quick to pounce on the "lol another buggy Obsidian game" meme but its actually a remarkably smooth release for a big and complex RPG

Well, that's ignoring and the bug that made you unable to leave Raedric's Hold after completing the quest, and the chant that stuffed your save files with useless data and made save/load times ten times larger than they needed to be. Those were pretty major.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Midnight Voyager posted:

Here's a lovely addition I cobbled together for myself if people want a moon on their head:

Thanks, gonna use this for my OP Moon Barbarian :unsmigghh:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Kajeesus posted:

Well, that's ignoring and the bug that made you unable to leave Raedric's Hold after completing the quest, and the chant that stuffed your save files with useless data and made save/load times ten times larger than they needed to be. Those were pretty major.
I wouldn't count the save/load thing as major. It was just annoying and didn't stop anyone from playing or break the game in a meaningful way.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sporelings on PotD hits hilariously hard. I'm liking this difficulty mode so far.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Darkhold posted:

I wouldn't count the save/load thing as major. It was just annoying and didn't stop anyone from playing or break the game in a meaningful way.

5 minute loading times by the end of act 2, when basically all quest steps/inns are two or three loading screens deep prevented me from playing the game way more than losing Kana's third weapon set or elf dude's accuracy bonus ever could. :colbert:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Captain Oblivious posted:

ENDGAME SPOILERS SPECULATION

Do not click if you haven't beaten the game
So, Godlike. Hyleas conversation with Pallegina got me thinking. Hylea acknowledges that the Godlike are indeed actually related to the Gods somehow but seems to stop short of admitting complicity per se. It got me thinking about how the Godlike come about.

My guess? The Gods are seemingly immense magical AI constructs made out of souls. My guess is that these "soul masses" can splinter and breakdown over time just like any soul. It's possible that a soul separated from the God Mass is forever warped by having once been a part. Therefore when incarnated in kith, it causes the physical mutations that make a Godlike

If that were the case would you expect Eothasian godlikes to be popping up everywhere?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

CottonWolf posted:

If that were the case would you expect Eothasian godlikes to be popping up everywhere?

How do you/we know they're not? If you assume they only start showing up after Eothas is destroyed, none of them would be older than 15. And we already know the PC Godlike options aren't the only types (Pallegina is a Hylean godlike, presumably Ondra has water godlikes or something. Skaen godlikes... :stonk:)

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Skaen godlikes... :stonk:)

NOW you're talkin! Giant, nihilist auroch minotaur godlikes! What would Waelian godlikes look like? I'm seriously jazzed about this setting. I really hope the new torment is half as engaging.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I just started a new game on Expert and it's removed the recovery/cast bars above all of my characters? That seems excessive, so I have to individually select everyone to make sure they're not just standing there doing nothing.

I understand that's sort of the point though to have a more grognardy setting for people that think the game isn't enough of a throw back.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

WarLocke posted:

How do you/we know they're not? If you assume they only start showing up after Eothas is destroyed, none of them would be older than 15. And we already know the PC Godlike options aren't the only types (Pallegina is a Hylean godlike, presumably Ondra has water godlikes or something. Skaen godlikes... :stonk:)

I never really considered the godlikes to be associated with a specific god, even though Hylea talked to Pallegina, i saw that more as Hylea being connected with every living creature.

Another thing, did anyone else find the gods to be sort of unlikable? They all have so many aspects that there seems to be a dark side to all of them, i find it a little hard to understand why anyone would worship them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

bitmap posted:

NOW you're talkin! Giant, nihilist auroch minotaur godlikes! What would Waelian godlikes look like? I'm seriously jazzed about this setting. I really hope the new torment is half as engaging.

Aurochs are Rymrgand. :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Oasx posted:

I never really considered the godlikes to be associated with a specific god, even though Hylea talked to Pallegina, i saw that more as Hylea being connected with every living creature.

Given how little the general population seems to know about how poo poo actually works, maybe godlikes aren't even related to gods period.

quote:

Another thing, did anyone else find the gods to be sort of unlikable? They all have so many aspects that there seems to be a dark side to all of them, i find it a little hard to understand why anyone would worship them.

Because they'll gently caress your poo poo up if you don't. It's a racket.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Oasx posted:

Pretty much every god in our history had a pretty hosed up dark side with less actual proof of existence. It's not hard to understand why people would worship actual beings. Heck Dictators and cult leaders develop cults of personality all the time and most of them are terrible beyond words.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

Aurochs are Rymrgand. :colbert:

Oh defs I'm just expounding

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Adra Dragon. :psyduck: Even with the talent this fight is ridiculous.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I hope in the sequel/expacks I get to kill all gods with reckless abandon and the bonus result of Obsidian remaining king of JRPG design

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I hope in the sequel/expacks I get to kill all gods with reckless abandon and the bonus result of Obsidian remaining king of JRPG design

If this doesn't happen rope kid is dead to me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Oh poo poo this game is finally out? How do I get it? I did a Kickstarter donation but never bothered to register or do anything otherwise on any other website.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
That's amazing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Everdraed posted:

Once again it falls upon me to make quality mods for hit new video games, so I've taken great pains to produce the ultimate mod for Pillars of Eternity:

Shark Mouth Mod

Pillars is a great game, but I felt the included chanter companion was severely underpowered. I mean, his abilities and stats are fine, but if I'm going to believe he's a truly powerful battle singer I need a character and voice that's got some weight and fame behind it. As such I've replaced the character of Kana with Shark Mouth, the Eora equivalent of a certain real-world musical superstar.

Shark Mouth has sung songs in front of thousands in Dyrwood, and is known for providing the background tracks for the Aumua-animated film series Shrak. This mod replaces all chants and generic movement / combat reaction voice files. With Shark Mouth in your party, you can finally consider your team of adventurers All Stars.

http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/40/
Will this work with a custom chanter

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Re-asking: Are Chanter effects/linger/radius affected by Int?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yes, affects both area of the chanting and the duration of the effect, if you mouseover one of your chants you should see the lighter radius circle at the outside like other AoE effects telling you how much your INT is adding to it..

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So I beat (Act III) undead Raedric last night. First difficult fight I've had in a while--is there a bug with charm/dominate spells? After wiping on my first try, I made sure that the very first thing Durance did was cast the spell that gives everyone +50(!) to their charm saves, and my PC still got charmed twice in rapid succession. Also not thrilled to find out that the Pallegina talent that is supposed to cleanse allies of hostile effects doesn't work on a charmed ally because their circle turns red. Waste of a talent entirely. :(

What was the point of that whole fight? After I won, the vampire that greeted me was still green, and still just said "Meet Raedric on the tower," so I killed her too. Walked around Raedric's Keep a bit, but I didn't see anything different from the last time I was there. Is there something I'm missing, something that explains how/why Raedric came back?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So when you do Kana's quest, did anyone else realise that leaving the Paths doesn't actually complete it properly? I went to level 1 of the paths to do something after completing the rest of the area and was ambushed by some extremely low level Leaden Key people as part of Kana's questline.

That seems silly, why didn't they ambush me outside? How many people will go up to the first floor for no reason?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Oasx posted:

Probably the point, considering the endgame plot details. But I hope Obsidian steps away from a D&Dish "Team Woedica/Magran/Eothas" comic book line-up approach - instead, everyone worships every god at some point in their life, depending on their need at the time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah I was very disappointed with the Raedric re-fight too. I was expecting some Vlad the Impaler poo poo around the castle at least.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Also I think the new patch has given all the unique weapons new art. I didn't even realise I had a unique weapon in my offhand slot! I am really glad about it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

VodeAndreas posted:

Yes, affects both area of the chanting and the duration of the effect, if you mouseover one of your chants you should see the lighter radius circle at the outside like other AoE effects telling you how much your INT is adding to it..

Awesome, I'm gonna roll a Chanter with massive INT for my Triple Crown Solo with Josh Sawyer Admonition™ run.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

both of the legitimate reported Triple Crown Solo runs so far have been done by Rogues, not sure if they used the Reckless Assault bug though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oasx posted:

Pallegina is an Avian Godlike. She resembles a bird. Hylea is the Goddess of all creatures of the sky. The connection is rather overt, which is the whole reason Pallegina demands explanation from Hylea, "why have you done this to us" and all that. Similarly, all other Godlike we are aware of match to deities:

Nature Godlike to Galawain
Moon Godlike are Ondra
Fire Godlike to Magran
Death Godlike to Berath/Rymrgand

• Locked thread