Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

horriblePencilist posted:

My Intel i5 is seriously underperforming. I did some benchmarks, and this was the result:

Not sure what's wrong , since I've made sure I have the latest drivers.

Maybe thermal throttling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

My Intel i5 is seriously underperforming. I did some benchmarks, and this was the result:

Not sure what's wrong , since I've made sure I have the latest drivers.

Is that saying its running at 800 mhz?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

No Gravitas posted:

Maybe thermal throttling?

Well I disabled it, and...

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Double check if the CPU cooler is firmly attached. Also check if there is a new BIOS available for your board, maybe it's an older H81/B85 that doesn't support the newer Haswells without an update?
Then play around with the Speedstep states in BIOS, what mainboard is it btw?

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 3, 2015

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

sauer kraut posted:

Double check if the CPU cooler is firmly attached. Also check if there is a new BIOS available for your board, maybe it's an older H81/B85 that doesn't support the newer Haswells without an update?
Then play around with the Speedstep states in BIOS, what mainboard is it btw?

I'll just give you the entire results.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Something is definitely wrong. Double check the heatsink to make sure its seated properly.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Prescription Combs posted:

Something is definitely wrong. Double check the heatsink to make sure its seated properly.

I dunno if it's the heatsink. Temperatures look normal.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/201044

I don't know how much I trust this benchmark. The worst performing component in my computer is my 3TB storage drive and that's just "OK", not terrible. Yet for some reason I have a 35% total score? I don't know how they derived that average.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Panty Saluter posted:

I don't know how much I trust this benchmark. The worst performing component in my computer is my 3TB storage drive and that's just "OK", not terrible. Yet for some reason I have a 35% total score? I don't know how they derived that average.

Read a result.

It threw out your SSD because RAM-caching, and they're absolutely right about the risk to your data if it shuts down any way other than gracefully for any reason (they use loss of power as an example because it's by a wide margin the most likely reason).

I don't think they give any weight to the OS, but your system is evaluated as running off of a media drive, because those are the only data the benchmark can actually trust.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 3, 2015

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Panty Saluter posted:

UserBenchmark or not, even Task Manager tells me the CPU works at a steady 760 MHz.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

UserBenchmark or not, even Task Manager tells me the CPU works at a steady 760 MHz.

Under power saving options - are you set to max power saving?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Read a result.

It threw out your SSD because RAM-caching, and they're absolutely right about the risk to your data if it shuts down any way other than gracefully for any reason (they use loss of power as an example because it's by a wide margin the most likely reason).

I don't think they give any weight to the OS.

The SSD is OS and games basically, I don't think there's anything that would get too bent out of shape on power loss. The total score still doesn't make any sense without the SSD, because nothing in my system performs anywhere near that low. I don't give a lot of weight to numbers plucked from thin air.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 3, 2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

I dunno if it's the heatsink. Temperatures look normal.

Are those temps at idle or running the benchmark?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

If you are absolutely sure it's not any power saving setting in the BIOS, Windows CPU throttling or mainboard software, or overheating, you might check this:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2075107/4670k-stuck-800mhz.html

Bent pins maybe :ohdear:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Panty Saluter posted:

The SSD is OS and games basically, I don't think there's anything that would get too bent out of shape on power loss.

I'm glad you've programmatically redirected all your document and save directories to other drives.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Panty Saluter posted:

Under power saving options - are you set to max power saving?

The SSD is OS and games basically, I don't think there's anything that would get too bent out of shape on power loss. The total score still doesn't make any sense without the SSD, because nothing in my system performs anywhere near that low. I don't give a lot of weight to numbers plucked from thin air.

There we go! Boy, do I feel dumb now - I forgot Windows does that.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I'm glad you've programmatically redirected all your document and save directories to other drives.

That's what Big Bird is for :)

Also pretty much every game I play is on Steam so I'm protected by ~teh cloud~ for my saves. I might eat my words someday but that what I get for living my life a quarter gHz at a time.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
they also make this bizarre thing called an uninterruptable power supply

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Thanks for making me try UserBenchmark for a giggle. It's hung up at the 4kMixed test, suggesting to me that I should indeed pursue Infiniband for my iSCSI drives.

go3 posted:

they also make this bizarre thing called an uninterruptable power supply
If you go buy one, you need to invest some money and get one with a proper inverter that generates an actual sinewave. The cheaper ones generate square waves and modern PSUs don't like that one bit.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Would that mean that you are basically on battery all the time? So no switching delay and no ground noise?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Depends. Usually the UPS is on standby and you're hooked directly to the power line. If it detects a brown out or a power loss, it switches to battery power. There's a type of UPS called double conversion, where the rectifier and inverter are permanently engaged. The battery hangs more or less in between. If power drops, the inverter will be drawing from the battery instead of the rectifier. Anything hooked to the UPS will be none the wiser, including any oscilloscopes monitoring the waveform. But they're less efficient due to energy loss on both rectification and inversion. However the inverter is usually noisy, to what degree depends on how it's implemented, so you may not want that regardless.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Would that mean that you are basically on battery all the time? So no switching delay and no ground noise?

No, he's talking about how well the UPS approximates the waveform of normal AC current. Don't worry about it. Switching power supplies don't give a drat. It's electric motors you have to worry about.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

PSUs with active PFC can freak out when they're under some load and suddenly subjected to that modified square wave, triggering over-current protection, shutting your computer down.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I wonder if that's what was happening with my old cheap UPS occasionally. As soon as I started using a standard surge protector I stopped getting random shutdowns. I know a UPS is a good thing but :effort:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
basically anything to do with power is 'you get what you paid for'

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

go3 posted:

basically anything to do with power is 'you get what you paid for'

At this point I have to post this delightful review of a 20$, 500W power supply.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=324

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Intel has been getting quite a black eye for their losses trying to get into the Mobile business; the Mobile division has lost something like $7 billion since 2012.

Today they announced they have solved that problem: they will no longer report Mobile profits/losses as a separate item.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Rastor posted:

Intel has been getting quite a black eye for their losses trying to get into the Mobile business; the Mobile division has lost something like $7 billion since 2012.

Today they announced they have solved that problem: they will no longer report Mobile profits/losses as a separate item.

Genius!

Hrm...we don't like how this looks so we're just going to stop telling you about it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
7 billion? Impressive.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

blowfish posted:

7 billion? Impressive.

Intel grossed 35 billion last year on revenue of 55 billion. Losing couple of billion a year to protect your market is noise.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

$7 billion? Pffff spent more than that on McAfee

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

edit - double post

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 7, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's considered Intel Mobile?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Tab8715 posted:

What's considered Intel Mobile?

probably arm / cellphones / tablets

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

WhyteRyce posted:

$7 billion? Pffff spent more than that on McAfee

Exactly. They've made dumber money bets and more significant personnel bets that got a lot less attention.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ika posted:

probably arm / cellphones / tablets

What the hell is that? Atom?

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009
Is it safe to order two of the same 16gig ddr4 kits and not run into compatability issues, or do I need to order a 32gig kit?

Crushable Object
Oct 28, 2010
Crush responsibly.
Since Intel bought McAfee has it become any less awful?

I think I already know the answer but time for comedy hour.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

SteviaFan420 posted:

Is it safe to order two of the same 16gig ddr4 kits and not run into compatability issues, or do I need to order a 32gig kit?
It should be OK if they have they have the same timings.

Not sure about the other Intel mobile stuff, but they make some socs for phones like the RAZR-I which had better battery life than the RAZR-M base model somehow.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell is that? Atom?

StrongARM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

XScale!