Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What a shame, the Great Carrier Reef would have been a fantastic diving destination!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
It was actually this close to being a terrible blow against Alikchi but I suspect he will be equally upset he didn't get an American flattop given how aggressive he is.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Disinterested posted:

It was actually this close to being a terrible blow against Alikchi but I suspect he will be equally upset he didn't get an American flattop given how aggressive he is.
Yeah, I'm almost expecting Alikchi to think "I need to strike harder next time!"

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Everyone should go back to the first page of Windy's thread and read his plans to create fortress Singapore and reinforce the Philipines. Then watch the gradual crushing of his hopes and dreams in front of the Japanese juggernaught.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Seeing only one side, I read it as a minor Japanese victory. They might end up being out a CVL, but Windy lost a shitload of ships in port and got his carriers smacked around pretty good.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Nenonen posted:

What a shame, the Great Carrier Reef would have been a fantastic diving destination!

I just wanted to register my appreciation of this.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 8, 2015

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I wonder about Junho's fate. Seems like she is in dire straits, but we won't know for sure before Alikchi posts. If she sinks I'd almost say this was a loss for the Japanese, but then again I know nothing about this game and exactly how precious those ships are for them when compared to the Allies. The mod might skew that discrepancy, I suppose.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The loss of any flight decked ship is a gigantic pain in the rear end for the Japanese but given Ali's tempo and success so far it's not too bad if it sinks. It may well - Japanese have poo poo damage control.

The question is will he count his blessings or gamble with the KB more to try to get the American flattops.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Junho is definitely sunk, there's no way an IJN CVL will survive hits like that. Koryu is probably out for a while too, any major damage will require returning to Japan to fix and it looks like it ate a 1000lb'er.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Yeah, losing anything with planes, even a CVL, really hurts for the Japanese. Still, Windy kinda blew off the fact that his carriers are out of commission for 3 months, which is actually a pretty big deal. That's 3 months that Alikchi is going to have free reign of the battlefield. Windy is likely to lose Port Moresby, and could even end up with a rather uncomfortable invasion in northern Australia in that 3 months of no carrier cover.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Losing one CVL and a couple tincans for knocking out the entire allied carrier force for 3 months and pretty much gutting ABDAs cruiser force in late January '42 is actually a pretty good tradeoff for the Japanese, all things considered. The DEIs are completely hosed now and an invasion of Darwin is a very real possibility.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I get the idea that Windy is very demoralized from all the setbacks and the RL things that kept him from updating, so he may just not care about the lost carrier time. Hopefully it'll pick up when the reinforcements start arriving.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's great about these "Japan gets more stuff" mods is that it lets the players have more than one Midway-esque battle. Even if the IJN completely blew it this round (and them nearly blowing it may well have convinced Alikchi to concentrate his CVs more while he actually still has CVs to concentrate), they'd be able to have another match some months later.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's great about these "Japan gets more stuff" mods is that it lets the players have more than one Midway-esque battle. Even if the IJN completely blew it this round (and them nearly blowing it may well have convinced Alikchi to concentrate his CVs more while he actually still has CVs to concentrate), they'd be able to have another match some months later.

Judging by AARs, most Japanese players just tend to concentrate those extra CVs into an even-more-impregnable KB Death Star and thus be able to smash any Allied naval force at will well into 1944.

You don't get more battles that way; you get the Allied player trying to avoid naval battles whenever possible, because unless the KB is on the other side of the map it can swing by and pound your fleet into scrap. It also means that any invasion has to unload pretty much everything within a few days tops to avoid the KB smashing it, or that the Allied player has to wait until they have the necessary resources to launch multiple invasions at once (which, again, delays any counterattack outside of Burma/India or the Australian mainland until late '43-early '44, when the Allies have the APAs, LCIs, LSTs and other dedicated ships necessary for fast landings).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh well Junho only got hit by 500lb'ers. All those Banshees and Dauntlesses only got what, two hits on Capital ships and two on destroyers? Thats pretty apalling to be honest I wonder what sort of skills the pilots had.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
If Enterprise survives it wasn't a horrible battle, but if it falls (or gets sunk in Sydney, which is the closest shipyard that she can fit in) I'd consider this a pretty bad loss. Heavy fires, heavy damage is usually not a good sign, even for an allied ship. Taking out one CVL for the loss of two (sorta) CVL's and one 90-plane CV isn't worth it this early. If if was a Lexington-class that got nailed it'd be horrible anyways, just because they are too big to fit in any yard except for at Pearl or the West Coast (or India), so that's positive, but I prefer the Yorktown-class just because they use less fuel and can fit in the Sydney yards if you are fighting down there.

The banshee thing sucks - dive bombing accuracy is better than skip-level in my experience, not just from the dive bombing, but also difference in flak hits. The devastators using bombs was a godsend though as they suck complete rear end with torpedoes (and the torpedoes are mostly duds). Their normal range is only 4 hexes, so that's probably why they used bombs (but extended is only 5 hexes).

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Lord Windy posted:

DING DING DING

Joy is centered in Burma and the border of Bangladesh. I'm going to cut off supplies by invading cities from the south when the Japanese come north. Hubris is an invasion of Kuril Islands, but there is more to it than that.

You all win the right to name a carrier!

Well, it's good to see that Windy continues to try ambitious strategies. I've never actually played WITP before, but does he have any realistic chance of actually taking the Kurils, or what?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

He could, they basically start undefended but this early, and even 6 months from now he has no real chance of holding onto them. His best best is to land just before winter which up north is pretty nasty and makes any counterinvasion a total pain in the rear end. He will also be unable to resupply any forces if Alikchi brings his carrier forces up there and his Aleutians bases will also be very underdeveloped which means his supply line will be shaky as gently caress.

As for Burma that's just suicide with the amount of forces Alikchi has in this mod. Even with American fighters shipped to India he won't be able to maintain air superiority and will likely just end out with his own troops encircled.

Both are ballsy but poorly thought out strategies so pretty par for the course so far :fsmug:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Does Alikchi still have a lovely supply chain in this mod, do we know?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Saros posted:

Both are ballsy but poorly thought out strategies so pretty par for the course so far :fsmug:

I'm surprised that he's thinking offence when he's got Port Morseby in jeopardy and the KB knocking on Brisbane's door. And his last gear-up for an assault on Japanese-held territory resulted in his invasion force being killed to a man before they even got out of their boats.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I don't think he's seriously thinking about the Kurils right now.

There was an AAR where a relatively unexperienced Allied player got his poo poo kicked in by a veteran Japanese player and basically did that as a Hail Mary. The invasion ended up successfully and he proceeded to have the Air Force completely wreck the Home Islands from there. It depended on coming out of left field, against un(der)defended garrisons, and committing pretty much everything he had available.

That's why I correctly guessed the "Hubris" codename. It would be folly at this stage where he still has quite some fighting to do in the South Pacific.

I'm more worried he's serious about that Burma operation. I hope he realizes he won't be able to supply the expeditionary forces until they linked up with the other front.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

frankenfreak posted:

I don't think he's seriously thinking about the Kurils right now.

There was an AAR where a relatively unexperienced Allied player got his poo poo kicked in by a veteran Japanese player and basically did that as a Hail Mary. The invasion ended up successfully and he proceeded to have the Air Force completely wreck the Home Islands from there. It depended on coming out of left field, against un(der)defended garrisons, and committing pretty much everything he had available.

That's why I correctly guessed the "Hubris" codename. It would be folly at this stage where he still has quite some fighting to do in the South Pacific.

I'm more worried he's serious about that Burma operation. I hope he realizes he won't be able to supply the expeditionary forces until they linked up with the other front.

That wasn't the Kurils, or at least not just the Kurils. He snuck an entire army in through Japan's back door and took Hokkaido.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Right, but was taking Hokkaido part of his initial plan? It's been a while since I've read that.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yes it was, it was called operation suddenly hairy or something like that, all based on SIGINT.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

You guys have a link to that? I'd love to read it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Saros posted:

Oh well Junho only got hit by 500lb'ers. All those Banshees and Dauntlesses only got what, two hits on Capital ships and two on destroyers? Thats pretty apalling to be honest I wonder what sort of skills the pilots had.

Pretty sure the Banshees are from those absolutely terribly emergency reinforcement squadrons the allied player gets in Australia early in 1942. The P40s probably as well. They have skills in the lower 30ies if I remember that right. As a bonus insult they leave before you can get them trained up properly. Flying them from 100 feet was just icing on the cake, really. My guess is that Windy had them on ASW duty, where you want them low on the deck, with naval strike as a contingency mission.

Having the allied carriers out of play for several months in the most time critical period of the game is pretty huge to be honest. Definitely a major Japanese victory, especially if he decides to use his two unbloodied carriers to strike at any survivors in Brisbane or Sydney.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Fray posted:

You guys have a link to that? I'd love to read it.

The interesting part starts at the very bottom of this page for context about where the heart of the action was until then. The glory starts with the snipe on the next page.

E: That was really a masterful use of a page snipe.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 9, 2015

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Nenonen posted:

:golfclap:

Operation Suddenly Hairy was a glorious masterstroke. Unfortunately the game broke almost entirely when he tried to follow it up with an invasion of Honshu.

Decoy Badger fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 10, 2015

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, I think that mess made the devs fix the problem with the max number of CAP actions making enormous CAP useless against enormous kamikaze swarms.

By the way, if anyone knows of any books about how the USN organized its CnC at the time, I'm interested because it must have been hairy.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

If you haven't read Shattered sword and you have even a passing interest in the pacific theater you need to go do that right now.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

WITP is to the Pacific Theatre what Shattered Sword is to the history of the Pacific theatre. The most grognardy creation ever made :black101:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I wish windy was posting more because he sure is screwing a lot up and some explanation would be nice.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I think Windy is pretty distracted which is probably why updates are infrequent and mistakes are frequent, aside from the fact he evidently isn't that adept of a player.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

At this point I'm slightly feeling that Alikchi could win it on the conventional settings, let alone with the mod they've got on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Guys it's only Feb '42. The game isn't remotely close to the point where things get decided.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah this is like Aug 1941: The Panzers have taken Minsk and Smolensk and are just about to surround Kiev, but it's still a long war ahead

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It's more that Windy winning due to inexorable build up in allied forces or Alikchi wins due to clever play with optimal forces is less fun than windy winning in a more balanced scenario because he's good, or Alikchi winning because he's good and has worse forces. Know what I mean?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I just want to watch american carriers burnpretty explosions, ok?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I'm curious if Windy saved the dutch pilots and didn't want the planes themselves. Could explain why so many planes were captured on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Unfortunately theres no reason to do that, the Dutch squadrons only get plane reinforcements until about March 1942 and even then many of the planes are shared with the US Army. Plus many are restricted units and once the DEI falls they cannot be rebased anywhere. The Allies are the opposite of the Japanese, never short of pilots but desperately short of airframes until about late 1944.

Saros fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 17, 2015

• Locked thread