Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maldoror posted:

What they'll do, is they'll make a video of someone saying they took some product and will not name the product but will say what is in it, and that it cured their cancer. Since they don't name the product, they get away with it. Of course they run the risk of people who watch it and want to try it buying OTHER products that contain the same thing, but it still helps to sell THEIR product. It's unethical, immoral, and just something only true scumbags would do.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_49PUYgw-E

That's a copy; the original video has been deleted. It didn't have any text on it like the copy above, but it did come from people associated with Xango.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObaisj0P7g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i love the fact that there are approximately three billion businesses in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and the only one that was willing to sponsor the dallas MLS club's jersey was Advocare. it has Drew Brees as a spokesman, that should be a bad thing in Cowboys territory

LA's is sponsored by Herbalife and has been for the past 10 years or something, and the Utah club is some pyramid scheme because of course it is. used to be Xango

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
paycheck cashing companies are legal

lmao

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

Y-Hat posted:

guys, guys, guys. it's not a pyramid, it's a triangle

is it Southwestern Corporation? that place owns. one of my favorite threads is by a scottish goon whose girlfriend got suckered in to working in America over the summer for that place, and she had to work so much on a given day that she once skipped her period

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2503040 (you'll need archives access to view this but it's worth it)

There was a follow up to this? OP never told what happened to her once she got home.

Also is kinda scary how many goons drank the MLM kool aid back then...

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

When did everyon itt learn about pyramid schemes? I don't remember it being covered in personal finance class in high school, which seems like a natural place, but my parents taught me about scams when I was a kid. Wondering how many people who fall for these things just don't actually know what a scam is.

I'm really curious about this. I honestly can't say where I learned about scams like this except maybe the news or something, but I've always had the correct instinct when I encounter one. Teaching about scams in school is a good idea too.

And I know it wasn't my parents, since I've had to talk them out of it a few times.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 1, 2015

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

When did everyon itt learn about pyramid schemes? I don't remember it being covered in personal finance class in high school, which seems like a natural place, but my parents taught me about scams when I was a kid. Wondering how many people who fall for these things just don't actually know what a scam is.

Originally? I watched people cheat the poo poo out of other people in video games.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

The shits easy to spot. When they start talking about things in arbitrary numbers and dont give straight answers about easy and direct questions.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Saw this gem on FB today:

OK!! Anyone even considering joining the It Works team NOW IS THE TIME! As if we thought them bringing a $500 GOOD Bonus for New Rubys was good.... They DOUBLED IT!! $1000 up for grabs for ANYONE who signs up before the end of April!!!

WHAT COULD YOU DO WITH $1000?!?!?

Pretty sure I could make $1,000 working a min wage job quicker than selling magic "body wraps"?

Swizzbutt
Jul 12, 2014

dougdrums posted:

I'm really curious about this. I honestly can't say where I learned about scams like this except maybe the news or something, but I've always had the correct instinct when I encounter one. Teaching about scams in school is a good idea too.

And I know it wasn't my parents, since I've had to talk them out of it a few times.

I took a business class in high school once for the free credit and they showed us famous examples. Also the common sense of "if it sounds too good to be true" and knowing that I am not special

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Voltage posted:

OK!! Anyone even considering joining the It Works team NOW IS THE TIME! As if we thought them bringing a $500 GOOD Bonus for New Rubys was good.... They DOUBLED IT!! $1000 up for grabs for ANYONE who signs up before the end of April!!!

Pretty sure I could make $1,000 working a min wage job quicker than selling magic "body wraps"?

Yep and your ruby bonus comes with having 4 people under you 2 people under them and 1000 og body wrap units each

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Voltage posted:

i bet youre right with THAT attitude

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^^ yeah dream crusher.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

i can't believe people still fell for it after the baby was born, it's like Malcom's not in the middle anymore you fuckwads, it's Dewey in the Middle now

No, now he actually is in the middle. Did you forget about Francis?

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

My Q-Face posted:

The really bad part is that she graduated from a top school with an accounting degree

Well that's terrifying

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
A FB friend is suddenly filling up my wall with stuff about "Instantly ageless" which purports to be a facelift in a bottle.

It does look kind of impressive-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E9fqMii5G4

Reading reviews on Amazon makes me wonder though, quite a few say it is fine until you move your face and then it crinkles up like you have Elmer's glue on your face. Anyone else encountered this one?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rondette posted:

A FB friend is suddenly filling up my wall with stuff about "Instantly ageless" which purports to be a facelift in a bottle.

It does look kind of impressive-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E9fqMii5G4

Reading reviews on Amazon makes me wonder though, quite a few say it is fine until you move your face and then it crinkles up like you have Elmer's glue on your face. Anyone else encountered this one?

if the reviews are trueI spray instantly ageless on my girl all the time!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

tater_salad posted:

if the reviews are trueI spray instantly ageless on my girl all the time!

Seems like it does pretty much what Preparation H does for your skin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, jeez, I just realized the ItWorks Global poo poo got huge because Dave Ramsey endorsed it.

That explains everything.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Waot when was this? I wiulda gotten in on the Christian jesus dave ramsey church train!!!! Get in on the ground floor and laugh it up to the bank.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Oh, jeez, I just realized the ItWorks Global poo poo got huge because Dave Ramsey endorsed it.

That explains everything.

Dave Ramsey endorsed an MLM? That's super disappointing.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've considered getting into business selling "Do-it-yourself" Homeopathy kits. I figure, yeah I'd be making money by exploiting incredibly gullible people, but maybe if I did it right, for every dollar I made, I'd cause other homeopaths to lose 10. I think it all balances out from that perspective.

homeopath don't play that

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

PostNouveau posted:

Dave Ramsey endorsed an MLM? That's super disappointing.

a shitbag who worships at the prosperity doctrine is an mlm supporter?

:monocle:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Top City Homo posted:

a shitbag who worships at the prosperity doctrine is an mlm supporter?

:monocle:

Haven't heard of any of that stuff. All I know him from is his weekly newspaper column and a few friends who've managed to save up pretty good down payments for homes from his advice books. Always seemed like a reasonable guy, but he ought to be loving ashamed of himself if he's peddling MLM stuff alongside his financial advice.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

Voltage posted:

Is there any way to sign up, receive the $1,000 then leave and never talk to them again tia

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

eternalname posted:

Is there any way to sign up, receive the $1,000 then leave and never talk to them again tia

u and i both that no there is not unless you rob them at gunpoint

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

PostNouveau posted:

Haven't heard of any of that stuff. All I know him from is his weekly newspaper column and a few friends who've managed to save up pretty good down payments for homes from his advice books. Always seemed like a reasonable guy, but he ought to be loving ashamed of himself if he's peddling MLM stuff alongside his financial advice.

his wiki page is a hoot especially the part where he promotes an insurance company that also sponsors him

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

I worked through college as a stockboy for a mattress retailer. It wasn't an mlm, it was just a high pressure place that attracted some low-end types who couldn't cut it selling something more glamorous. But they all made some good money and got paid every two weeks.

Then I took a job interview for Kirby and went on a ride-along. Right away I noticed that people were making way fewer sales, doing way more work (for about the same amount of commission on something twice the price), being way more indirect about their jobs to customers and the whole thing wasn't rooted in a retail store or anything. I thought the mattress store was kinda scuzzy, but then I realized that it actually had a lot of sound business practices and opportunities going for it when compared to Kirby. That allowed me to sort out the difference between a "real business that you had to work at to succeed," and a "fake business selling hope to its sales force and overpriced stuff to its customers."

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
At the grocery store this afternoon, I found myself starting at the shelves looking for a particular product. A man nearby commented that whatever he was looking for was probably right in front of him. I politely chuckled, found what I was looking for, and put it in my carriage. Right when I found what I wanted, he found his as well.

At this point, he asks if I've ever had what he's got (some kind of healthy biscuit thing), and how he usually eats them for breakfast. We go back and forth some, but at this point I'm being polite and looking for a way to move on so I can get out of the store.

He then asks if I or anyone I know in the area are looking for work. I tell him no, sorry, but out of curiosity I ask what kind of work. He says something about how he travels a lot, and does some kind of financial training, but nothing specific about what he's hiring for. We wrapped up the conversation and moved on.

I wish I had paid more attention. Afterwards I heard him in another aisle talking to someone else, and it made me think of this thread. In retrospect the whole thing felt like shady (mlm) recruiting.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Phearson posted:

At the grocery store this afternoon, I found myself starting at the shelves looking for a particular product. A man nearby commented that whatever he was looking for was probably right in front of him. I politely chuckled, found what I was looking for, and put it in my carriage. Right when I found what I wanted, he found his as well.

At this point, he asks if I've ever had what he's got (some kind of healthy biscuit thing), and how he usually eats them for breakfast. We go back and forth some, but at this point I'm being polite and looking for a way to move on so I can get out of the store.

He then asks if I or anyone I know in the area are looking for work. I tell him no, sorry, but out of curiosity I ask what kind of work. He says something about how he travels a lot, and does some kind of financial training, but nothing specific about what he's hiring for. We wrapped up the conversation and moved on.

I wish I had paid more attention. Afterwards I heard him in another aisle talking to someone else, and it made me think of this thread. In retrospect the whole thing felt like shady (mlm) recruiting.

Primerica.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

MoreLikeTen posted:

Well that's terrifying

Well, if she had the people skills she needed to be a successful salesperson in the first place, she might have learned about the world by actually talking to her professors, lecturers, and fellow students, instead of doing just the required work so she could say she had a degree.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

just wanted to thank this thread, since reading it I now get empower ads on youtube

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

ethanol posted:

just wanted to thank this thread, since reading it I now get empower ads on youtube

Get with the times scrub who in TYOYL doesn't have Adblock

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

Get with the times scrub who in TYOYL doesn't have Adblock

adblock doesn't block youtube video advertisements though????

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yes it does

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Adblock Plus? I didn't find it blocking YouTube videos either.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Shadow posted:

Are You yards using chrome spyware or something? Of that doesn't work get ghostery

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Shadow posted:

Yes it does but you should use ublock instead anyway. Came up in some other SA thread, very lightweight

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Timby posted:

God, this loving thing. A friend of mine from college fell into it hard like a year and a half ago and it's like some goddamn cargo cult or something, complete with their national "conference" having Southern Baptist church services underneath a giant loving can of their product:

This is like that scene in Hellraiser II where they go into the hell dimension and Leviathan the god-monster is floating over the labyrinth in his unknowable alien-geometry form. I expect that enormous can to be revolving like a lighthouse, sweeping a beam across the participants which both turns them evil and sucks out their money into the can.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not your god, mine. Leviathan, god of hunger and desire, lord of the labyrinth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I´m job hunting and there's always, without fail, at least one ad that is very obviously for some sort of scam. There is always little to no information about what the job actually entails or what the required experience or education is. They ads always say the job is at a well respected and prosperous company but they never actually name the company. They do spend a lot of words on how much money you can make if you work hard enough and without fail the listed email address is gmail or in the worst cases hotmail.

But maybe I'm just cynical and currently missing out on becoming rich doing a unspecified job for a unspecified company.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 9, 2015

• Locked thread