Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

don't know, I mostly just posted it thanks to cyber -> wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

spankmeister posted:

So the French network TV5Monde got hacked by IS, 11 channels down.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/09/europe/french-tv-network-attack-recovery/index.html

I wonder how exactly because IS hasn't really been that sophisticated up until this point.

:ms:

the password was azerty12345 :laugh:

e: nah

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 9, 2015

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

:eyepop:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

a link to that was tweeted by a Le Monde journalist, but turns out it's a hoax. nvm~

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ayyy

lfuckin

mao

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
cannot wait to see peerio get breached now...

quote:

How WhatsApp Needs to Improve Its Encryption

I recently wrote a post touching upon secure messaging projects falling short from due diligence when it comes to their security guarantees. The most-discussed aspects of that post were my claims that WhatsApp guarantees zero end-to-end confidentiality of your messages. I stand by this. To answer questions I’ve received, I’m going to explain in detail why this is the case.

How is WhatsApp claiming that my chats are encrypted?

WhatsApp and company recently announced that they had implemented an excellent encryption protocol that includes a truly innovative messaging and key scheduling mechanism. According to WhatsApp and Whisper Systems (who worked on the encryption techniques), they actually did implement some pretty nice encryption, and it’s likely that this encryption is working in your WhatsApp client right now if you’re using it on an Android device.

So why isn’t WhatsApp’s encryption effective?

Even though encryption is coded into WhatsApp, it is possible for any WhatsApp employee, for your ISP or other agencies to circumvent and even completely disable its security, at any time, and without you knowing.

The details of why WhatsApp is vulnerable are painfully clear to anyone who’s seasoned in computer security. But the average WhatsApp user has no idea what a man in the middle attack is and how it can render even well-implemented encryption completely useless. Here’s my attempt to explain these simple and important ideas.

When you start an encrypted conversation with with a friend on WhatsApp, you need to communicate to them a special public key that is used to establish secure communications. Your friend’s WhatsApp client will rely on this public key to know who it’s encrypting the information to, so it has to be authentic.

Now, since you don’t have a direct connection to your buddy’s phone, this public key exchange, like regular WhatsApp messages, has to be sent through WhatsApp’s servers, who then deliver it to your friend’s phone.

What’s preventing WhatsApp from forwarding fake public keys to your buddy instead of your actual ones? You guessed it: nothing. In computer security, this is called a Man in the Middle attack.

Anyone who replaces your public key in transit obtains immediate decryption. Zero security, end of story. And nothing is stopping WhatsApp from replacing your public key on demand, to intercept “encrypted” communications at any time.

It gets worse. Due to its excellent multiplatform compatibility, WhatsApp’s servers need to manage connections between many different WhatsApp clients. Some clients are running on advanced phones (such as Android or Windows Phone) while others are running on old Symbian or BlackBerry phones, which can be overwhelmingly popular in India and other parts of Asia. Managing connections between highly capable phones that can handle encryption and phones that can’t is a process that requires the WhatsApp server to get involved.

Because of this, your phone needs to check with WhatsApp’s servers first before being allowed to begin a secure chat, and WhatsApp servers can reject this permission at any time, without you ever being notified. The problem here is that WhatsApp won’t even provide an indicator of whether a conversation is encrypted or not: the server could disable your encryption permit at any time, and you would still completely be under the impression that you’re having an encrypted conversation. This isn’t security. End-to-end security is not selective, it’s always enabled, and enabled by default.

Be constructive. How can WhatsApp fix its encryption?

Man in the middle attacks are not new, and most secure messaging apps have a mechanism to protect against them: they allow you to verify the integrity of encryption keys yourself: for example, by scanning a QR code generated by your friend’s phone. WhatsApp can implement this today; it’s been implemented by countless applications before it.

It’s also clearly possible to implement reliable indicators that inform users when their chats are encrypted and when they aren’t. Calling WhatsApp conversations “secure” in the media and then depending on WhatsApp’s servers not disabling your encryption at any time is misleading to the point of being dangerous.

It wouldn’t be accurate to build a motorbike with just a front wheel and call it a motorbike. You need both wheels. It’s similarly inaccurate to call WhatsApp’s encryption end-to-end secure as it stands today. Until WhatsApp offers means to resist against man in the middle attacks, and ways to verify the encryption status of conversations, it is simply, and undeniably, not secure.

Disclaimer

I’d like to point out that I am an avid, daily WhatsApp user and that I love its reliability, ease of use and multi-device availability. I just don’t use it under the pretense that I’m benefitting from any level of privacy. I mostly use it to send cat photos. Thanks WhatsApp for your bandwidth for my cat photos.

I’d like to disclose that I also work on other encryption software (which has had its fair share of encryption flaws over the years). I’m stating this because the last time I published a critique of encryption software, an upstanding gentleman accused me of doing so only to “sling mud at competitors”. Writing to point out security flaws that affect real users isn’t slinging mud. It’s called peer review. It’s what you do when you’re a graduate student studying cryptography.

yes. please piss on moxie there, nadim. it's not going to lead you down a road of hurt at all

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
also replace whatsapp with ssh and you have the same blog post with the same complaints

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

also replace whatsapp with ssh and you have the same blog post with the same complaints

does ssh not support encryption on some platforms or allow the server to request not having encryption

i mean, signal and the corresponding apps for off-brand phones are great, but whatsapp doesn't have the end-to-end "yes everything is encrypted all the time" setup and that's the problem

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

OSI bean dip posted:

yes. please piss on moxie there, nadim. it's not going to lead you down a road of hurt at all

moxie is a terrible beverage, and consumption of it seems to lead to brain damage

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OSI bean dip posted:

jfc that last paragraph

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Cocoa Crispies posted:

does ssh not support encryption on some platforms or allow the server to request not having encryption

i mean, signal and the corresponding apps for off-brand phones are great, but whatsapp doesn't have the end-to-end "yes everything is encrypted all the time" setup and that's the problem

openssh allows you to compile with a "none" option and unfortunately there are people who think that it is an okay idea. tbh yeah whatsapp doesn't have end-to-end encryption all the time but nadim's argument is about key exchange and not about encryption, which is why i made the ssh comparison

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

prefect posted:

moxie is a terrible beverage, and consumption of it seems to lead to brain damage

Moxie seems like an interesting person to spend time with. I liked the most recent story on his blog a bit ago about nearly drowning in San Francisco bay while moving a boat, and his various other exploits jumping trains and such. He has some interesting adventures.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Broken Machine posted:

Moxie seems like an interesting person to spend time with. I liked the most recent story on his blog a bit ago about nearly drowning in San Francisco bay while moving a boat, and his various other exploits jumping trains and such. He has some interesting adventures.

moxie's yachting documentary was cool as poo poo

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
https://truesecdev.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/hidden-backdoor-api-to-root-privileges-in-apple-os-x/

Crapple iBad

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

OSI bean dip posted:

moxie's yachting documentary was cool as poo poo

It really really does. Not security related, but I'm going to post it here anyways, because its worth a watch.

https://vimeo.com/15351476

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

also isn't WhatsApp actually end-to-end, and well designed, just not yet on Android for technical reasons relating to the platform?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

OSI bean dip posted:

hahahaha he has a .computer domain

hopefully someday http://nadim.dipshit will work

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Munkeymon posted:

they're only $185,000 to apply

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Broken Machine posted:

also isn't WhatsApp actually end-to-end, and well designed, just not yet on Android for technical reasons relating to the platform?

no its that it will never support the end-to-end on the old symbian and blackberry etc phones because they're literally junk phones

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

nadim.dipsh.it

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

OSI bean dip posted:

quote:

The problem here is that WhatsApp won’t even provide an indicator of whether a conversation is encrypted or not:

is this actually true because :shepface:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

huntér9

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
when i think of tv5 getting hit, i think of this

and then it was blamed on isis because reasons

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

du -hast posted:

it's me, im the guy who goes to a security conference to pick up women :rms:

Check this scrub who never goes to security conferences. If you did you'd know there's no women there.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Check this scrub who never goes to security conferences. If you did you'd know there's no women there.

he said that's why he goes there, not that he succeeds

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

someone please update the yospos dns to point to the new thread or point to a page which meta refreshes to the new thread thanks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spankmeister posted:

So the French network TV5Monde got hacked by IS, 11 channels down.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/09/europe/french-tv-network-attack-recovery/index.html

I wonder how exactly because IS hasn't really been that sophisticated up until this point.

They're actually fairly sophisticated from what I understand, and when they're not genocidin' people they're actively trying to keep the infrastructure of the lands they claimed up and running because their entire persona revolves around them being the one true "legitimate" state where all the Muslims have to go by law and life will be fun and happy and great (if you're not one of the people they kill). The reason why we haven't really seen them attacking the west much at all is more to do with their goals - they're not Al Qaeda, they're not trying to attack the "far" enemies. Their main goal right now is to claim land to make themselves more legitimate, and wait for America to come try to kick their asses, at which point they believe it's prophesied that they will win and that particular battle will start down the countdown clock to the apocalypse.

The Atlantic did a pretty great write-up on the whole thing here.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

hmmm... is funy.computer worth $40...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Luigi Thirty posted:

they're only $185,000 to apply

someone get born on a buy you to check his couch cushions

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

hmmm... is funy.computer worth $40...

I think I paid $30 for it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so i stumbled on this while googling a phone number http://ernie.kcd.com/

the gently caress is this meant to accomplish

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate/
Expired SSL certificate
Seems we forgot to update our SSL certificate in time. This means our wiki and forum is not reachable for now. We will work on the matter as soon as possible. In time, please use followed workaround:
  • open a terminal
  • enter followed line: sudo date -s 2015-04-06 +09
This will set back your system time to Mo 6. Apr 00:00:03 CEST 2015.

kind regards Philip Müller, Manjaro Development Team

lmbo resolve our auth problem by setting your system clock back three days

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

As a Millennial I posted:

some guy had the same idea with IP addresses instead. it's organized in a way that makes you load an entirely new page for every digit/octet or w/e, so part of the broken design is driven by ad impressions

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

"We've gotta go back Marty!!!"

"Back where Doc!?!?"

"Back, to the FUTURE!!!! to set all the clocks back because our certificate expired"

"Ok Doc lets do it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrVCUnCxnIk

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

I'm the 1.5 year old os apple has decided not to patch.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Rahu posted:

I'm the 1.5 year old os apple has decided not to patch.
I'm the code base where checking a parameter for nil requires "a substantial amount of changes"

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

OSI bean dip posted:

when i think of tv5 getting hit, i think of this

and then it was blamed on isis because reasons
I picture it more like the Tandy stuff from Evilspeak, only more muslim and less satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_tq9voHSFM

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

As a Millennial I posted:

there are a ton of crawlers that create "yellow pages"-like listings from addresses & poo poo that they come by. this is noise to make those crawlers pick up bullshit and make internet detectivery harder

at least i thnk thats the intention

e: yeah reading the page actually says exactly that so i guess i dunno what your question means

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

I'm confused, is the exploit just escalating privileges from administrator to root? Or is the bad thing that can happen is someone can write code that can be inadvertently executed to create a backdoor for an attacker to login as the root user? I haven't had a chance to really figure out what's going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I'm confused, is the exploit just escalating privileges from administrator to root? Or is the bad thing that can happen is someone can write code that can be inadvertently executed to create a backdoor for an attacker to login as the root user? I haven't had a chance to really figure out what's going on here.

It can be used to escalate ANY user to root by passing nill to the authenticateUsingAuthorizationSync. It could also be used to create a backdoor, turn on ssh, etc etc etc. Either physical access or running malicious code, but no prompt for password would appear.

• Locked thread