Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Honestly I am just glad to hear you are going to do Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, because as silly as this series is, this LP and your commentary has been immensely enjoyable, so I will gladly watch more.

SSSAAAAAAAMMME

Also this is where I stop knowing anything but eye poo poo we haven't seen yet. Zero context on that poo poo too. Did we get to explaining Kakashi's eyes? Did I miss that episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Herr Tog posted:

Also this is where I stop knowing anything but eye poo poo we haven't seen yet. Zero context on that poo poo too. Did we get to explaining Kakashi's eyes? Did I miss that episode?

There is an entire villain and related story arc to explain Kakashi's Sharingan and it drags on for so long oh my god.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So it hasn't showed up in the LP let and I think I know the guy you are talking about and OH MY GOD NOW I have an idea how bad this...stays

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Herr Tog posted:

So it hasn't showed up in the LP let and I think I know the guy you are talking about and OH MY GOD NOW I have an idea how bad this...stays

Oh Tog, it gets much worse.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Oh Tog, it gets much worse.

Is there just an IRC cause I know if we continue there are gonna be spoilers and probations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Herr Tog posted:

Is there just an IRC cause I know if we continue there are gonna be spoilers and probations.

A thread should still exist in ADTRW, I'm pretty sure you just have to read it.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ChorpSaway posted:

Sai Okami Ninja
Also known as the Okami Ninja Sai. Emotionless and distant, his social awkwardness and lack of grace tends to give off a poor first impression. However, his lack of emotions gives him increased awareness

I found an error in the OP btw

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

A thread should still exist in ADTRW, I'm pretty sure you just have to read it.

oh no. gently caress you man I did my time in one Naruto thread. gently caress a second.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
If you want I will be glad to talk about it in PM because that story arc is just a boundless well of clever stupidity.

It will require discussing massive spoilers though, so be prepared for that.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

If you want I will be glad to talk about it in PM because that story arc is just a boundless well of clever stupidity.

I don't have plat but thank you. Also it is late. I'll come and satisfy my curiosity another time.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm also often online on synIRC in various channels (Blood Bowl, League of Legends and Dominions atm) so you can try me there as Neruz if you like :v:

There's probably a Naruto IRC channel somewhere there too though if so it's more complex than just 'Naruto' so :shrug:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 27, 2015

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

Well at least the game ended here so people didn't have to see what's to come OH RIGHT WE'RE COVERING THE NEXT GAME

Basically it's ALL DOWN HILL FROM HERE

Take this to heart people. The bullshit melodrama here? The worthlessness of the actions of all the characters, hero and villain? The stupid redemption of awful villains who do awful things but its okay because SAD BACKSTORY?

This isn't the worst the series has to offer. Not even close. It will be a roaring torrent of awful from this point onward except for ONE CHARACTER. Those of you who want to read ahead of Chorp and the gang playing these games, be warned.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

It's a stretch, but let's do it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Nothing quite like having a flashback to the cutscene you're currently in.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Since this is part two and the next is part three, presumably there was also part one - I've never watched Naruto, can someone say what happens there?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Szurumbur posted:

Since this is part two and the next is part three, presumably there was also part one - I've never watched Naruto, can someone say what happens there?

There's way more than just part 1; prior to Ultimate Ninja Storm 1 there is Ultimate Ninja Heroes 1 through 3 + Impact, and then prior to those there is Ultimate Ninja 1 through 5. Also technically the next game in the series is actually Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations rather than UNS 3, after 3 comes Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst, then Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution and finally Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 which has yet to be released.

The Naruto story itself is broadly divided into two halves by a timeskip, with the latter part typically called 'Shippuden' to distinguish it. If I tried to fully explain the entire Naruto story from start to current in a single post I'd probably run out the character limit.

e: Shadow covers the broad points below, but note that he is skipping over a ton of stuff, much of which turns out to be important later. Chorps' synopsis is more comprehensive, but still skips a lot of things.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 28, 2015

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

- Series starts. Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura get teamed up under Kakashi and do some missions. Some say the series peaked here.
- All baby ninja across the land come take part in an exam to rank up. Orochimaru is introduced and gives Sasuke the curse mark he uses for power.
- Said exam is halted by Orochimaru killing the Third Hokage and kidnapping Sasuke. Naruto and some friends give chase to retrieve him to no avail. Naruto and Sasuke have a fight.
- Naruto starts training under Jiraiya, and Sakura starts training under Tsunade. This is important because 3 of the greatest ninja ever in the village all have proteges.
- Time skip
- Here we are.

I think that's pretty much the jist of it. There were some cool fights, but everything is so terribly paced that I can't even go back to watch it through rose tinted glasses.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

I made a post in the OP that was a quick synopsis of the original Naruto (pre-Shippuden), which can be found here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20379
Ultimate Ninja Storm the First only sort of tells the story of Naruto but is mostly just a fight-to-fight sort of thing IIRC.

If anyone else wants to step up and elaborate on any finer points though, go ahead.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

I made a post in the OP that was a quick synopsis of the original Naruto (pre-Shippuden), which can be found here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20379
Ultimate Ninja Storm the First only sort of tells the story of Naruto but is mostly just a fight-to-fight sort of thing IIRC.

If anyone else wants to step up and elaborate on any finer points though, go ahead.

That's a lot of Naruto, thanks! I should have read the OP regardless, sorry!

Shadow225 posted:

- Series starts. Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura get teamed up under Kakashi and do some missions. Some say the series peaked here.
- All baby ninja across the land come take part in an exam to rank up. Orochimaru is introduced and gives Sasuke the curse mark he uses for power.
- Said exam is halted by Orochimaru killing the Third Hokage and kidnapping Sasuke. Naruto and some friends give chase to retrieve him to no avail. Naruto and Sasuke have a fight.
- Naruto starts training under Jiraiya, and Sakura starts training under Tsunade. This is important because 3 of the greatest ninja ever in the village all have proteges.
- Time skip
- Here we are.

I think that's pretty much the jist of it. There were some cool fights, but everything is so terribly paced that I can't even go back to watch it through rose tinted glasses.

I appreciate the shortened version, too!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

ChorpSaway posted:

It's not as cutscene-heavy and there's only a couple of boss fights, but there's also an open-world version of the Hidden Leaf you can run around and get collectibles in. Also, Naruto can travel long distances by having a clone throw him, which is the best thing.

Neruz posted:

Also technically the next game in the series is actually Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations rather than UNS 3, after 3 comes Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst, then Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution and finally Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 which has yet to be released.
Generations was basically a stopgap game, though, to tide people over until Storm 3, and Revolution is basically the same thing (albeit much better implemented).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

There's way more than just part 1; prior to Ultimate Ninja Storm 1 there is Ultimate Ninja Heroes 1 through 3 + Impact, and then prior to those there is Ultimate Ninja 1 through 5. Also technically the next game in the series is actually Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations rather than UNS 3, after 3 comes Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst, then Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution and finally Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 which has yet to be released.

So are these separate series of games or does the crew in charge of Naruto games adhere to the Kingdom Hearts philosophy of "gently caress it throw some more adjectives on there, just don't release an actual sequel"?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

TwoPair posted:

So are these separate series of games or does the crew in charge of Naruto games adhere to the Kingdom Hearts philosophy of "gently caress it throw some more adjectives on there, just don't release an actual sequel"?

Probably the latter.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Szurumbur posted:

That's a lot of Naruto, thanks!

Hey, it's still better than watching the actual show! :shepface:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TwoPair posted:

They're the same style of fighting game, each one covers a different part of the story and as the games progress they add more and more characters and the characters get more and more powers. So they are actual sequels in the true sense of the word; in being 'the next part of the story sequentially.'

Naruto is one of the Big Three long-running manga\animes, standing alongside Bleach and One Piece with One Piece being the current king. Each one is multiple hundreds of anime episodes long, with an anime episode typically being 2 - 6 manga chapters; there is a lot of story and that doesn't count the anime filler arcs that they put in because the anime progresses faster.

Anime Naruto actually suffered really badly from filler to the point that when they restarted the series again they gave it the 'Shippuden' title just to separate it from the last quarter or so of the original anime series which was almost entirely pointless and badly written filler.

One of the major reasons why the One Piece anime has managed to go on for so much longer than Bleach and Naruto is because the One Piece filler has generally been of much higher quality and several filler arcs are actually canon adventures that were skipped over in the manga or only referred to in passing. In a lot of cases Oda basically handed the anime writers a bunch of smaller side stories to be fleshed out and used as filler and at least one filler arc was so good that Oda retconned it into the manga.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 30, 2015

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
To put it in perspective, here's how bad the Naruto Filler was: Naruto, the original anime series, stopped being aired on Toonami after the filler arc started rolling, and it wasn't back on the air, to my knowledge, up until Disney picked up Naruto Shippuden. You could also argue that the Naruto filler helped in the final killing of the original Toonami run.

As bad as the core Naruto experience can be, and I'm saying that as a former fan, the Filler Arcs were so much worse. As bad as Shippuden gets, nothing touches the sort of awful that was reached in the Post-Naruto, Pre-Shippuden filler.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Skyfinder posted:

You could also argue that the Naruto filler helped in the final killing of the original Toonami run.

There's no argument, it absolutely did. That period of Naruto filler was so bad it very nearly killed the Naruto anime entirely. Shippuden came close to just straight up not being a thing and if it had received poor viewership the Naruto anime would have gone the way of the Bleach anime and just ended.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Wait. WAIT. Naruto killed my Toonami? AND the Bleach Anime ended!?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Herr Tog posted:

Wait. WAIT. Naruto killed my Toonami? AND the Bleach Anime ended!?

Yup the Bleach anime ended.
And on the worst possible arc.
I mean It's not much better now but it's hell of a lot better than the Fullbring arc.

Funny how of the Big 3 only One Piece hasn't taken a complete dive into the shitter.
And is the only one that isn't going to end any time soon.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Well, Toonami also died simply because Cartoon Network at the time was going through that horrible shake up that Western 2-D Animation was going through from 2004-2009. Naruto's filler arc being full of fail dumped Toonami's ratings, true, but the CN at the time was also more broadly just pulling in worse and worse shows and trying to shake up the formula to revive the channel (anyone remember CNReal? Ugh). Thankfully, it seems Western 2-D Television animation in the last 5 years has remarkably recovered. Except for Nickelodeon, but gently caress that channel.

But yeah, One Piece's ability to resist not only having super lovely filler, but also being terrible, is miraculous as compared to Bleach and Naruto. I chock it up to Oda being a strong writer and, like was previously mentioned, the anime's writing team being in close contact with him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neruz posted:

One of the major reasons why the One Piece anime has managed to go on for so much longer than Bleach and Naruto is because the One Piece filler has generally been of much higher quality and several filler arcs are actually canon adventures that were skipped over in the manga or only referred to in passing. In a lot of cases Oda basically handed the anime writers a bunch of smaller side stories to be fleshed out and used as filler and at least one filler arc was so good that Oda retconned it into the manga.

Except that's not the case anymore and they're running a 1:1 chapter/episode ratio and it's god awful.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Waffleman_ posted:

Except that's not the case anymore and they're running a 1:1 chapter/episode ratio and it's god awful.

It varies, some of the One Piece filler is totally original, but Oda is still signing off on all the filler and he does still occasionally slip the Anime guys some storyline on the side. The 1:1 ratio they're doing at the moment is because they don't want to dive into filler in the middle of a major story arc, it should pick up again once Oda finishes off this story arc which looks like it will be soon given what just happened to Doflamingo.

Even when it's bad the One Piece anime is still better than the Naruto and Bleach animes.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh. Okay I shouldn't be angry at Naruto for that

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Is Bleach even still part of the Big 3? I thought it lost its spot to Toriko around the time the anime was canceled.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Scrap Dragon posted:

Is Bleach even still part of the Big 3? I thought it lost its spot to Toriko around the time the anime was canceled.

Yeah it is, Naruto is technically not part of the Big 3 anymore because its ended; Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are all over 600 chapters though whereas Toriko and Fairy Tail have only recently gone over 300.

There are ongoing arguments as to whether Toriko and Fairy Tail belong in the group and whether Naruto should be removed for finishing or not. The fact that the Toriko anime went the same way as the Bleach anime also doesn't help.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 31, 2015

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: FINAL UPDATE TIME! :siren:

I lied, there are two updates for the post-game! Still, pretty light considering how much time I spent actually playing it.

Today, Naruto maxes and relaxes after a hard day or saving the world from god-tier ninja. He takes his time around time helping out various villagers, hanging out with ~the ladies~, and continuing to fight off bad guys.
Meanwhile, Sasuke has a side-mission to take care of, and it may be his oddest yet...

Thanks to everyone for joining me on this adventure through one of the most popular manga/anime series! It had its ups and downs and very downs but overall I thought it was a refreshing experience! My co-commentators may not feel the same way though.

As for the Narutoke Up! contest, since there were only two entries (that weren't from friends/co-commentators) and both of them were cool, I thought I might as well give you both a prize! So, Level Seven and Shadow225, tell me if you want a new avatar/forums upgrade/whatever or if you'd like one of the Ultimate Ninja Storm games for Steam. Dattebayolo!

Anyways, that ends Ultimate Ninja Storm 2! UNS3 will come at some point, I'm sure, but for now I have a couple other things lined up before then which you may or may not be interested in. Plus my friends need to record a bit from their anime overdoses.
Either way, see you guys next time, in some other Village Hidden the Subforum!

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 10, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
YESSS KILLER B IS HERE!

Best character. One of the few characters who never properly loses a fight and master of a sword style that is so unpredictable and insane that even the Sharingan can't keep track of what the poo poo is happening.

I must say that was a really crappy depiction of the fight; in the anime they fight in the Land of Clouds and it's Sasuke's entire Team Taka vs Killer B. Killer B kicks the poo poo out of them.

Here is the fight in the anime, it might be spoilers because they may want to re-do the fight in the next Ultimate Ninja Storm.

Also the Eight Tails is an Ushi-Oni which is a legit Japanese mythological creature. Yes Japanese mythology is insane.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 10, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Now you may be thinking that with our rapping ninja that this is a sign of upturn quality, but trust me, no. it's just a sign that Kishimoto could make something fun and interesting (like with Guy and Rock Lee) but he instead decided to write about other, worse things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd love it if in twelve years the Naruto name is just floating around free for anyone to mess with if they want beyond parody and then someone takes a crack at it and makes a reboot that's more interesting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hahaha, Naruto is one of the biggest series Shonen Jump has ever had. It's not becoming public domain anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Chorps mentions that Sasuke's Akatsuki robes are too large, like he took them from someone like Hidan. But it would be completely in character for Sasuke to wear Itachi's old robes around all the time.

• Locked thread