Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

W.T. Fits posted:

You get a good ending?

Well, Dio does finally have more of his blood on the outside than the inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

There's a high chance that this question was posed before, quite likely by me, and I'm going to sound like a silly person, but can't we break the plot lock on the third path (the one where we need to expose the one who planted the bombs)?

E: Also, as for the vote: gently caress this poo poo, let's betray the comatose kid and ditch these losers. Sweet freedom, here we come.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

It might be a good idea to split this into three pictures. One for the Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Yes! I've been waiting for this update for so long. :allears: Several of you even smelled the horrible result coming when everything seemed to be going a little too smoothly.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Welp, guess we betray now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Isn't it possible to go down the Cyan/Betray/Red/Ally path to expose Dio as the person who set the bombs yet?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Clover's ending is the lamest one in the game I think. It's clearly designed to be one of the first things you experience in the game - a standard "what the gently caress" kind of deal that's most effective without knowing much of how Radical-6 works. And to be fair it is one of the only paths with no plot locks. But if you don't find it early, as demonstrated here, it just kinda falls flat and you're like yeah whatever so everyone died. Big deal

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I have to admit it, "Demise" was the first hint that something bad was going to happen.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Aumanor posted:

There's a high chance that this question was posed before, quite likely by me, and I'm going to sound like a silly person, but can't we break the plot lock on the third path (the one where we need to expose the one who planted the bombs)?
Seconding this. I don't know if "I saw it in another timeline" is sufficient proof but may as well check.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Aumanor posted:

Quark is missing because he's still sleeping in the pod in the treatment center. K's absence on the other hand, is indeed rather curious.

I guess he would have trouble offing himself with a scalpel. Also big thanks to color printer, after playing through the game myself it gets increasingly hard to remember what bits of the game we've yet to do and these charts make keeping track much simpler.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Violet_Sky posted:

Welp, guess we betray now.

If we go back and betray, we're just gonna get another game over without any info. This being an actual ending is pretty much the optimal outcome of this scenario.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

ApplesandOranges posted:

Isn't it possible to go down the Cyan/Betray/Red/Ally path to expose Dio as the person who set the bombs yet?

Yes, we can open that plot lock right now.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Waffleman_ posted:

If we go back and betray, we're just gonna get another game over without any info. This being an actual ending is pretty much the optimal outcome of this scenario.

Yes, that seems likely, so we might as well get it out of the way now.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

But I wanna see what happens. :saddowns:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Looking back, the ending is definitely suspicious, in that Clover, Luna, Tenmyouji and Dio had shown no signs of Radical-6 at all in any other branch, and Phi literally started showing symptoms two minutes before the mass suicide. K also missing is a big question mark. Maybe seeing a death hastens the effects of Radical-6? I mean when Alice died in the Magenta path people started dropping like flies. Seeing people offing themselves might trigger it even if it was normally dormant in people like Tenmyouji.

Or Alice/Phi/whoever just kills everyone else before turning the scalpel on themselves.

Back to the plot branches, K's the only other person we haven't grouped with yet, so I guess we should go dig up some information on him. Plus he's missing in the mass suicide, which is off.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 10, 2015

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
K's also been kind of a dick, but in ways he always finds a justification for. Reminds me of a certain other tall, beefy looking fellow.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Vil posted:

I am operating under the hopeful assumption that all "endings" will be good ones. :unsmith:

:smith:

Zoe posted:

Though I'm about halfway through the Dangan Ronpa LP by now and I do have to say, so far VLR looks positively tame by comparison. We need more paths like the first one with bodies turning up left and right.

Well, here you go. I guess the bodies are all in one place this time and not really "left and right", but there are plenty of them this time.

I've been waiting for this moment for a very long time.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Precisely. This means we can get around to that plot lock much sooner than we would otherwise.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Really? You sure we won't? Sigma and Clover will have 9 which should unlock the door, so that should net us another ending.
Or we get backstabbed in a cheap way, that can happen too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SSNeoman posted:

Really? You sure we won't? Sigma and Clover will have 9 which should unlock the door, so that should net us another ending.
Or we get backstabbed in a cheap way, that can happen too.

We haven't seen a path where one of the two branches hasn't been a Game Over yet. Not saying it can't happen, but I'd doubt it unless it's one the game wants us to see, like the one in the Cyan/Betray/Red path.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I feel like going for an obvious bad ending is a waste of time after getting the 'good ending'
but thats just me

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Some people just like to clean up the clutter so the last few updates aren't a million tiny loose ends and non-choices. (Please can we get those obvious non-choices done already, it would make the future polls so much cleaner!)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's not like there's negative consequences for losing, game overs are simply more content to read and less dangling endings to worry about.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
I got this ending right away, before I really knew anything about what's going on. Dio and Clover's endings are the only ones without plot locks, and this one is really underwhelming next to Dio's. It's obviously meant to fill in players who didn't play 999 more than anything else, but I guess it establishes the right tone if you find it quickly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, Clover's Ending is really underwhelming because, as mentioned previously, it shares a lot of information with Alice's.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DeafNote posted:

I feel like going for an obvious bad ending is a waste of time after getting the 'good ending'
but thats just me

I don't like it either myself, since I want to solve the overall puzzle that the game seems to be going towards, but the thread seems to want more content. It does make the voting following a good ending on the first try a bit of a giveaway though.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
This game really is best when it borrows 999's soundtrack. Trepidation is one of the most alarming tracks I've heard in a game.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Y'all are closer to the end of the game than you might think with only three endings unlocked, and there's so much good stuff left to be seen. I suppose we'll get there soon enough.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fedule posted:

Sometimes you kinda get the impression that certain elements in the plot of VLR are the way they are just so certain story branches can be kept manageable in length. And then everyone got Radical-6 and died. THE END.

This ending in particular has heavy shades of "we don't have the budget to follow this path to the end", because it really seems to make no sense at all. Everyone was fine and generally in an okay mood (even the mutual betray team), and as soon as we turn our backs for five minutes they've all killed each other or themselves. In particular, Clover who had about 1 minute head start and Phi who we saw alive (but out of it) are suddenly dead.

It really feels lame and very rushed. It's even lamer than "Alice gets mad at Sigma for failing to solve a puzzle she could clearly solve herself. Game Over," because at least that had comedy value.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This ending in particular has heavy shades of "we don't have the budget to follow this path to the end", because it really seems to make no sense at all. Everyone was fine and generally in an okay mood (even the mutual betray team), and as soon as we turn our backs for five minutes they've all killed each other or themselves. In particular, Clover who had about 1 minute head start and Phi who we saw alive (but out of it) are suddenly dead.

It really feels lame and very rushed. It's even lamer than "Alice gets mad at Sigma for failing to solve a puzzle she could clearly solve herself. Game Over," because at least that had comedy value.

You're not wrong. That said it's implied with all Sigma's "..."ing while walking around that quite a bit of time passes while he searches for everyone and... well yeah it's still a bit silly.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fedule posted:

You're not wrong. That said it's implied with all Sigma's "..."ing while walking around that quite a bit of time passes while he searches for everyone and... well yeah it's still a bit silly.

Probably would have worked better if it showed him constantly checking his watch between stops, just to establish time passing as he searches. Maybe make a comment about how it's getting closer to time for the next set of doors to open.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I prefer the theory that things were going too well for Sigma and the gang and there's no way we can have that in a Zero Escape game. :colbert:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

They're acting so happy and boring... I should open up the windows to let some air in, that aughtta liven things up!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
And this is why you take the win.

(Prediction: Alice was stupid enough to ally in this path, dies, Clover goes nuts and axes everyone.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

legoman727 posted:

And this is why you take the win.

(Prediction: Alice was stupid enough to ally in this path, dies, Clover goes nuts and axes everyone.)

Clover hasn't even murdered anyone this entire game yet, even after that one time we brutally betrayed her after Alice had died or whatever and she had no-one else she could trust. She just doesn't seem to be the murdering type this game, kind of an rear end and incompetent in regards to her profession, but not a murderer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You go on ONE murder-spree, and everyone labels you a serial killer.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Hey, we don't know for sure Clover didn't kill all those other people this time around too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bruceski posted:

To be fair, the Axe Ending is very worrisomely close to being the True Ending.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Gotta say it still kinda bothers me a little how Tenmyouji and Phi died in pretty weird positions even assuming they slit their own throats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bruceski posted:

And to add insult to injury, that murder-spree never actually happened! She's been labelled a serial killer because of a potential alternate timeline which is only a possibility because the only person who actually knows of the timeline and can observe it did so nine years ago and influenced events herself so that said murder-spree can occur.

We're all one step removed from those assholes in Minority Report who prosecuted people for future crimes they had yet to commit. :v:

• Locked thread