Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbas-furious-17-capturing-the-noncontenders-state-of-mind/

Simmons has finally just given up on trying to make his pop culture references apply to the subject at hand and has decided to tack on quotes from the furious movies "just for kicks" (his words)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

More things need to be related to Fast & Furious so in this case I'll give Simmons a pass

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

More things need to be related to Fast & Furious so in this case I'll give Simmons a pass

I think he's cool

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'm in a bar with no tv sound but I'm watching a tmz clip of the police beating the poo poo out of Thabo Sefolosha and unless some other detail comes to light like he drew a gun or something I think the Hawks will definitely file something legally. It looks really bad.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Zogo posted:

code:
2P Value	3P Value		DIFF		Team
0.03		0.19			0.16		Golden State Warriors*
-0.03		0.11			0.15		New Orleans Pelicans
0.01		0.15			0.14		Atlanta Hawks*
-0.09		0.03			0.13		New York Knicks
-0.03		0.09			0.12		Milwaukee Bucks
-0.02		0.10			0.12		Portland Trail Blazers*
-0.05		0.06			0.12		Chicago Bulls*
-0.08		0.03			0.11		Los Angeles Lakers
-0.06		0.05			0.11		Indiana Pacers
-0.02		0.08			0.10		Washington Wizards*
0.01		0.10			0.10		San Antonio Spurs*
0.04		0.13			0.09		Los Angeles Clippers*
0.01		0.10			0.09		Cleveland Cavaliers*
-0.07		0.02			0.08		Detroit Pistons
-0.11		-0.03			0.08		Philadelphia 76ers
-0.08		0.00			0.07		Minnesota Timberwolves
-0.03		0.05			0.07		Orlando Magic
-0.04		0.02			0.06		Sacramento Kings
0.00		0.06			0.06		Toronto Raptors*
-0.03		0.02			0.05		Memphis Grizzlies*
-0.03		0.03			0.05		Utah Jazz
-0.03		0.02			0.05		Oklahoma City Thunder
-0.10		-0.05			0.05		Charlotte Hornets
0.01		0.04			0.04		Houston Rockets*
0.02		0.05			0.03		Dallas Mavericks*
0.00		0.02			0.03		Phoenix Suns
-0.05		-0.03			0.02		Denver Nuggets
-0.02		-0.01			0.01		Brooklyn Nets
0.00		0.01			0.01		Miami Heat
-0.03		-0.03			0.00		Boston Celtics
Every year most of the teams take more threes than ever and every year the math says that they should still be taking more than they currently are.

good to see the data agrees with me: the charlotte hornets should stop shooting the ball altogether

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hahaha yeah, i love it when a movie quote is vaguely related to a sports thing, good job simmons, j-bug, the whole crew

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Rockets mascot just destroyed a kid with a cake: https://vine.co/v/eBLYAHpqMOI

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nbas-furious-17-capturing-the-noncontenders-state-of-mind/

Simmons has finally just given up on trying to make his pop culture references apply to the subject at hand and has decided to tack on quotes from the furious movies "just for kicks" (his words)

The F&F franchise is a treasure trove of sagely wisdom that applies from everything to sports and life in general so I'm totally okay with this.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ramadu posted:

that was a travel

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Ramadu posted:

Clutch wields a mean cake. This one shot from 2013 is the hardest I've ever seen someone get hit with a confection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZhKJA01-4

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Did anyone mention that Derek Fisher thinks the Knicks can win 63 games next year?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/10/derek-fisher-on-knicks-wins-we-can-go-from-15-to-63-if-we-really-want-to/

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I love that the latest Bill Simmons columns section about the Minnesota Timberwolves starts with a hypothetical scenario where Simmons is teaching a course on being an NBA GM. The T'Wolves GM job will forever be his white whale, won't it?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

R.D. Mangles posted:

that was a travel

You're next R.D. Mangles

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Giannis owns.

https://vine.co/v/eBL6ElqgOD1

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Zogo posted:

code:
2P Value	3P Value		DIFF		Team
-0.03		-0.03			0.00		Boston Celtics

How is this even possible. Brad Stevens truly is a dark sorcerer.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It's compared to league average and they are technically a team with a losing record

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

EvanTH posted:

It's compared to league average and they are technically a team with a losing record

Oh I know, it's just hilarious that the team is so assiduously applying the lessons of advanced metrics and getting essentially a null result.

They'd certainly be much worse if they were doing anything else. Still, it perfectly matches the way the season as gone.

Here are the Celtics, to play Some Basketball for you tonight!

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

What did the Knicks do to deserve such retribution :qq:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

quote:

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
Follow
J.R. Smith strolled down hall wearing an all-green outfit. He's reminded Cavs are playing Celtics. "This is for the Masters."

I am so happy JR Smith joined a team that will be around in the Finals.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

What did the Knicks do to deserve such retribution :qq:

Isn't being the Knicks enough?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

Coincidentally Rondo is one of the closest approximations to a friend that Kobe Bryant has and there are persistent rumors that he's pushing hard for the Lakers to sign him this offseason.

This is really weird thing to be grossed out by.

Like, people are reporting it as a sure thing which is weird, but it's not the usual sources, it's like, radio hosts and sneaker bloggers and poo poo like that. I don't put a lot of stock in any of those sources but it's one of those things that's everywhere now.

I'm a Rondo fan but he's pretty bad right now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

How is this even possible. Brad Stevens truly is a dark sorcerer.

They are very balanced between 2P/3P value. Their 3P shot is precisely .0006 more valuable than their 2P shot but that's negligible of course.

If we compare the value of 2P shots and 3P shots and then take into account the ratio between team 2P/3P shots using
(3 * 3P - 3PA) / G - (2 * 2P - 2PA) / G we can see how imbalanced some of the teams are (higher value is worse):

code:
Value	Team
6.50	New York Knicks
5.87	Los Angeles Lakers
5.45	Charlotte Hornets
5.37	Philadelphia 76ers
5.32	Minnesota Timberwolves
4.71	Indiana Pacers
4.62	Chicago Bulls*
4.42	Detroit Pistons
4.38	New Orleans Pelicans
3.88	Portland Trail Blazers*
3.71	Milwaukee Bucks
3.54	Golden State Warriors*
3.13	Atlanta Hawks*
2.97	League Average
2.86	Sacramento Kings
2.58	Orlando Magic
2.53	Denver Nuggets
2.38	Washington Wizards*
2.37	Memphis Grizzlies*
2.35	Oklahoma City Thunder
2.10	Utah Jazz
2.08	Cleveland Cavaliers*
1.96	San Antonio Spurs*
1.46	Toronto Raptors*
1.37	Los Angeles Clippers*
1.10	Houston Rockets*
1.03	Boston Celtics
0.83	Brooklyn Nets
0.73	Phoenix Suns
0.09	Dallas Mavericks*
0.09	Miami Heat
As you can see four of the five most imbalanced teams have the four worst records in the league. Are the Knicks and Lakers involved in a tanking conspiracy? :ninja:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

pop went to hack-a-shaq against Josh Smith with 7:30 left in the 4th quarter.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Zogo posted:

They are very balanced between 2P/3P value. Their 3P shot is precisely .0006 more valuable than their 2P shot but that's negligible of course.

If we compare the value of 2P shots and 3P shots and then take into account the ratio between team 2P/3P shots using
(3 * 3P - 3PA) / G - (2 * 2P - 2PA) / G we can see how imbalanced some of the teams are (higher value is worse):

Very true, and philosophically it's still the right move.

It's just interesting to see that one potential outcome of taking low quality shots only when they're 3Ps, and never taking a long 2P unless its a very high quality shot, is that the value of the two shots converges to equality. I expected that in a real world situation the 3P would always have a fairly significant advantage. They're still better off taking the 3s, as taking more 2s would just result in a lower value for the 2P shots, obviously.

It's definitely indicative of the season. Right philosophy, but the talent isn't there for it to pay off. In a weird way its like watching a computer play chess with a two rooks handicap. Making all the right moves, but without the pieces for it to be totally effective.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Very true, and philosophically it's still the right move.

It's just interesting to see that one potential outcome of taking low quality shots only when they're 3Ps, and never taking a long 2P unless its a very high quality shot, is that the value of the two shots converges to equality. I expected that in a real world situation the 3P would always have a fairly significant advantage. They're still better off taking the 3s, as taking more 2s would just result in a lower value for the 2P shots, obviously.

It's definitely indicative of the season. Right philosophy, but the talent isn't there for it to pay off. In a weird way its like watching a computer play chess with a two rooks handicap. Making all the right moves, but without the pieces for it to be totally effective.

Very broadly it's:

Open layup > Open 3pt shot, moderately guarded layup > Open midrange shot, moderately guarded 3pt shot, heavily contested layup > moderately guarded midrange shot, heavily guarded 3pt shot > heavily guarded midrange

The open midrange isn't really a bad shot, broadly speaking. Its not something to base your offense around, but you listen to people here and they seem to think everytime you take a wide-open mid-range shot you are taking points away from your team, and that usually isn't true. If you look at the list of teams not taking enough 3s, they correlate to teams that don't have players who can hit 3s. For those teams, taking more 3s isn't going to help you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Or they have Jeremy Lin who won't shoot a three unless the entire defense is standing behind the free throw line even though he's a decent three point shooter.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Aldrich could have drawn a super easy charge but was like nah gently caress that

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Or they have Jeremy Lin who won't shoot a three unless the entire defense is standing behind the free throw line even though he's a decent three point shooter.

Babbitt does the same thing but shoots like 50% from three. Incidentally, he hasn't gotten much playtime after Pondexter and Cunningham joined the team.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dejan Bimble posted:

What would an Atlanta over Cleveland playoff victory look like?

It would look like my neighbor owes me $20. I would like this look.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Like, people are reporting it as a sure thing which is weird, but it's not the usual sources, it's like, radio hosts and sneaker bloggers and poo poo like that. I don't put a lot of stock in any of those sources but it's one of those things that's everywhere now.

I'm a Rondo fan but he's pretty bad right now.

It really annoys me when those types repeat a 3 month old rumor, that we know to be untrue, but since someone else reported it, everyone else re reports and another moment of my life slips away

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

The Locator posted:

It would look like my neighbor owes me $20. I would like this look.

you have cursed the hawks

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

They already play in Atlanta, how much worse could it get?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

They already play in Atlanta, how much worse could it get?

they could play in cleveland or detroit

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metapod posted:

It doesn't actually have to be the Hawks. I just bet him $20 that Cleveland wouldn't get to the finals. I know it's a bad bet, but it's just for fun and if I win I can harass him for an entire year about it!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

http://www.nba.com/bucks/video/games/knicks/2015/04/10/0021401180-mil-nyk-play1.nba/

the block, behind the back, dunk, mean mugging, and injury

Giannis owns

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

It really annoys me when those types repeat a 3 month old rumor, that we know to be untrue, but since someone else reported it, everyone else re reports and another moment of my life slips away

The only reason I don't discount them completely is that sometimes there's a "Dwight Howard told me he's joining the Lakers, the deal's done, they're waiting because the league wants them to, and took a picture with me wearing a Lakers hat in June, here's the picture" story that turns out to be right even when the media is reporting turmoil and doubt in the trade process. Since then I've decided to at least keep an eye on the tangential stuff, even if it's wrong 99% of the time. It's probably not true that Anta already has sweatshops stitching Rondo's Lakers merch already. But it's kind of a fun story to read.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Juaguocio posted:

Clutch wields a mean cake. This one shot from 2013 is the hardest I've ever seen someone get hit with a confection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZhKJA01-4

I've never seen a cake so unequivocally own somebody

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I was just remembering the time, 2 years ago today, that Charles Barkley said "there's gonna be some changes around here, me and kenny saw Django Unchained, there's gonna be some changes around here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

I was just remembering the time, 2 years ago today, that Charles Barkley said "there's gonna be some changes around here, me and kenny saw Django Unchained, there's gonna be some changes around here"

Lmao

• Locked thread