Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:downsrim:

OK, a Mac Mini with component and HDMI out instead of VGA and DVI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

haveblue posted:

The old Apple TV was a Mac Mini with no screen, the current one is an iPod Touch with no screen.

They've always been an ipod touch with no screen. Except for the original. Unless that's what you mean, then WOOPS

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Didn't it also operate on the more iPod-style method of syncing content between iTunes and the device instead of an independent iOS one? (original appletv)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

MrBond posted:

Didn't it also operate on the more iPod-style method of syncing content between iTunes and the device instead of an independent iOS one? (original appletv)

You had to move content (or stream it) from your iTunes library to it, at least initially. They eventually added the ability to rent and purchase content directly on it later/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you are curious, here's a review of the original Apple TV from 2007.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2007/03/apple-tv-1st-generation/

It actually does look remarkably like a current Mac mini, although it's got a plastic top instead of a metal unibody.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Thwomp posted:

It'll certainly get the market for MFI controllers going full steam.

Why can't they just build in support for dualshocks instead of forcing people to use sub-par controllers that will never match up in quality? It's just a bluetooth device.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Super Dude posted:

Why can't they just build in support for dualshocks instead of forcing people to use sub-par controllers that will never match up in quality? It's just a bluetooth device.

See: Thunderbolt, FaceTime, AirDrop, iMessage, etc.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 20, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Thwomp posted:

See: Thunderbolt, FaceTime, AirDrop, iMessage, etc.
Yeah, but alternatives exist for each of those, with this it's mfi or nothing.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
It'll be nicely future proofed if they bump its abilities from 1080p to 4K.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Triglav posted:

It'll be nicely future proofed if they bump its abilities from 1080p to 4K.

The A8 chip can, http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/21/exclusive-the-iphone-6s-a8-chip-can-play-4k-video/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So it was a Mac Mini?

Essentially, it had a 1ghz Pentium M and 256mb of ram, you can actually install OS X 10.6 on it.

Or you can mod it with a Broadcom Crystal HD card and install Crystalbuntu on it and have a nice little XBMC box.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HBO Now is up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was just coming here to ask when it was going to be enabled :v:

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
One month free trial too. Prettay cool

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Any difference between that and HBO Go, aside from how you sign up?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

gypsyshred posted:

Any difference between that and HBO Go, aside from how you sign up?

Go comes with the ability to watch through your cable box without being able to pick the show, Now doesn't. If you already has Go then Now has no value to you.

How long is the typical lag before new content goes up on Go/Now?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Go comes with the ability to watch through your cable box without being able to pick the show, Now doesn't. If you already has Go then Now has no value to you.

How long is the typical lag before new content goes up on Go/Now?

It was my understanding that with HBO Now, the guys at HBO flip the "available" switch on a show/episode as soon as it starts airing on the traditional HBO channel.

And, unless I was mistaken, a show or episode on Go would have its "avialable" switch flipped as soon as the airing was over on the HBO channel.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yes they said shows will be available at the same time they air. Live events like boxing will have a delay.

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
So I signed up for HBO Now directly on my ATV after a few troubles with the authentication servers weren't playing nicely with two factor authentication.

I got all of the "You're signed up!" emails, and it seems to be working fine on my ATV, but now I"m not sure how to take advantage of the "Now make an account on HBONow.com" email. I just get a 1996-looking page that doesn't go anywhere when I click submit. Did I do something wrong when creating the account?

I'm not particularly worried about using anything besides the apple tv, but if anyone knows how to appropriate start the other side of the account, I'm curious.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Signed up for HBO Now. Pretty excited to finally have legitimate access to HBO, though as a $15 "premium service" I feel like the picture quality could be a little better.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bass Bottles posted:

Signed up for HBO Now. Pretty excited to finally have legitimate access to HBO, though as a $15 "premium service" I feel like the picture quality could be a little better.

Just wait until Sunday night and the entire service dissolves into the spinning loading wheel.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah I called HBO earlier to ask about sign in issues and the guy just told me overwhelming demand crushed their servers. I don't watch Game of Thrones but I want my Silicon Valley, drat it!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thwomp posted:

It was my understanding that with HBO Now, the guys at HBO flip the "available" switch on a show/episode as soon as it starts airing on the traditional HBO channel.

And, unless I was mistaken, a show or episode on Go would have its "avialable" switch flipped as soon as the airing was over on the HBO channel.

Go stuff goes up as soon as it starts. At least in Central time. That might be because it goes up when stuff finishes airing in Eastern, though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's the same way in Eastern Time. I recall twice last year the entire app poo poo the bed right when a show started. I think the True Detective finale was one and maybe the Game of Thrones premiere.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Interesting. Does it just use your local time zone to determine when to enable? Location based IP look up, is my guess. System clock would be too easy to hack.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I presume it traces your hostname to figure out your location.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bucket Joneses posted:

So could you use a proxy to get a show early?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Mahoning posted:

It's the same way in Eastern Time. I recall twice last year the entire app poo poo the bed right when a show started. I think the True Detective finale was one and maybe the Game of Thrones premiere.

Don't forget that HBO switched to using MLB Advanced Media for the streaming. MLB AM was able to cope with opening day traffic, 60 million live and on-demand streams, so I have a little more confidence that HBO will be able to cope with the streams but we'll see.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Bucket Joneses posted:

I was hoping this was all kept on eastern, since I can watch GOT early with Satellite in California.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I only have iphone/iPad and an appletv in my house but I bought a Chromecast to get around MLS blackouts by beaming the feed from my desktop to the Chromecast (MLS Live app doesn't seem to work even with custom DNS routing through the atv).

Anyway, my question is if there is any reason at all to install the Chromecast app on my idevices? I honestly can't think of anything that airplay doesn't already do.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bucket Joneses posted:

I only have iphone/iPad and an appletv in my house but I bought a Chromecast to get around MLS blackouts by beaming the feed from my desktop to the Chromecast (MLS Live app doesn't seem to work even with custom DNS routing through the atv).

Anyway, my question is if there is any reason at all to install the Chromecast app on my idevices? I honestly can't think of anything that airplay doesn't already do.

Why didn't you AirPlay from your desktop to your Apple TV...?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Bucket Joneses posted:

Once the CC is set up, you don't need the app on any of your devices. CC functionality is built into apps, even for people who don't own one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Why didn't you AirPlay from your desktop to your Apple TV...?

Because I forgot that there were third party airplay apps and the last time I tried researching the options via google, I ended up not liking any of the software packages I found.

Although, the last time I did this research I ended up paying cash money for a Foobar2000 component that would stream any content from FB2K to my appletv.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bucket Joneses posted:

Because I forgot that there were third party airplay apps and the last time I tried researching the options via google, I ended up not liking any of the software packages I found.

Although, the last time I did this research I ended up paying cash money for a Foobar2000 component that would stream any content from FB2K to my appletv.

I take it you have a PC? Because on a Mac, you can just Airplay your entire screen to the Apple TV. No third party software needed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I take it you have a PC? Because on a Mac, you can just Airplay your entire screen to the Apple TV. No third party software needed.

Yeah I'm on windows 7.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bucket Joneses posted:

Yeah I'm on windows 7.

http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone having issues with Netflix since the update this week? Looks like poo poo and keeps buffering. No issues on my iPhone or computers. I'm in the US if that matters.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyone having issues with Netflix since the update this week? Looks like poo poo and keeps buffering. No issues on my iPhone or computers. I'm in the US if that matters.

A few times since the update Netflix has just stopped playing what I'm watching and gone back to the episode select screen. Never ever happened before.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Since HBO has stated they don't care about account sharing, I figure this is an OK question:

When I load up HBO Go/Now, it wants me to "activate" my ATV and enter a code. If I'm using my friend's creds to log in, is that going to gently caress up his poo poo if I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

Since HBO has stated they don't care about account sharing, I figure this is an OK question:

When I load up HBO Go/Now, it wants me to "activate" my ATV and enter a code. If I'm using my friend's creds to log in, is that going to gently caress up his poo poo if I do that?

Not at all. It just wants some legit credentials, it doesn't care how many other devices are using it or anything like that. My whole family shares my sister's HBO account info on our Apple TV's. She's in Pittsburgh, two of us are in Ohio, 1 in Chicago, and 1 in Seattle. Never had a single problem.

• Locked thread