Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

theshim posted:

How much damage does poison actually do? I can never see the number.

A maxed out poison does 20 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

SC Bracer posted:

A maxed out poison does 20 damage.
Oh, so it does fuckall but the slow is nice. Bleh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

theshim posted:

Oh, so it does fuckall but the slow is nice. Bleh.

The slow essentially makes it do 40, but yeah. Really, the slow is the main reason to take the skill. The damage is just a nice bonus.

theshim
May 1, 2012

How do stacked status ailments work in this, anyway? Do they overwrite each other EO-style?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

How do stacked status ailments work in this, anyway? Do they overwrite each other EO-style?

Nope, they all stack. So feel free to spam your various moves. In fact, you kind of have to since some DOEs need like 2 ailments/debuffs in order to lose their damage resistance.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hmmm. A four hexer run sounds suspiciously hilarious. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theshim posted:

Hmmm. A four hexer run sounds suspiciously hilarious. :v:

The Hexer's big problem is that they chew through TP absurdly fast. You can get around this by chugging TP-restoring items though

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The worst is when they panic your AI Princess, and she starts buffing enemies as well as allies.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

The worst is when they panic your AI Princess, and she starts buffing enemies as well as allies.

At that point you immediately turn off every one of their skills. You don't want those used against you.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
It's my princess from the fort. I have zero control over her :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What are Sovereigns good for in EMD? I can't seem to find a niche for them.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Pureauthor posted:

Looking pretty and being super hype. They are true leaders.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

They're buffers and team players. That's about it. They seem to be more support oriented than the Dancer. It's pretty redundant to have both.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Also, gamebreaking bugs.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, gamebreaking bugs.

Royalty has no time for these things you call correctly functioning code.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sovereigns are the best support class that can equip shields/heavy armor. Their Orders are bugged where they will dodge their own buffs ~75% of the time so they can't regenerate TP reliably. Their elemental buffs (Fire/Ice Arms) can break the game in your favor (don't do this the main game is easy enough as is) when misused due to a bug that permanently adds +3 STR per Arm buff. Prevent Order remains the best way to block debuffs/ailments. I've since replaced mine with a Dancer due to the TP issue.

EMD will likely never be patched because Atlus has never been good about patching their 3DS games.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Gyoru posted:

Sovereigns are the best support class that can equip shields/heavy armor. Their Orders are bugged where they will dodge their own buffs ~75% of the time so they can't regenerate TP reliably. Their elemental buffs (Fire/Ice Arms) can break the game in your favor (don't do this the main game is easy enough as is) when misused due to a bug that permanently adds +3 STR per Arm buff. Prevent Order remains the best way to block debuffs/ailments. I've since replaced mine with a Dancer due to the TP issue.

EMD will likely never be patched because Atlus has never been good about patching their 3DS games.

Wait 75%? :stare: I had just unlocked the class and I knew they had a chance to dodge their own buff but I didn't know it was that high, if they are that unreliable the seem not worth using.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

It seems to just use the dodge debuff formula. Mine doesn't dodge hers that much, but it probably scales up as they gain Luck.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So can anyone tell me how much content there is in the main game in EMD, and what there is to do in the postgame? In spoiler tags obviously.

I think having experience with other roguelikes is kind of breaking the game for me. It was fun listening to the Aslargans flip out about the DOEs and how I totally should never ever fight the ones in the fourth dungeon, and then killing two on the way down. :haw:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Put down EMD for a bit because I need to dig up money in the game and I'm feeling especially lazy.

So I'm back to EO3! I got the Jolly Roger for my princess and I'm steadily moving through Stratum 4, but I'm not sure about Warrior Might on my Gladiator. I don't seem to have anything other than, well, my gladiator that can proc it multiple times. It's pretty good for cutting through random encounters but it's supposed to be a boss shredder right?

On the other hand Front Mortar and Etheric Charged stars sare still doing a ton of damage so it's not too much worry. Maybe I'll get Breakfire Fist on my monk, since it's a good multi-hit move and being abble to trigger warrior might multiple times, even from a back-row heal monk, would probably help.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You can't just use Warrior Might by itself. You need a specific party to get the most out of it. You need 2 Shogun/Buccaneers with maxed out Swashbuckling and at least a point in Second Sword. The cookie cutter party setup for that usually ends up being GS H? SB SB and the last class of your choice. Shogun/Buccaneers can get 9 hits with a maxed out Swashbuckling, so that's 18 hits, plus whatever the Hoplite and the last class decide to contribute, and you can use the Lucky Hammer limit to get an extra chase for a maximum total of 21 hits. Now factor in the Gladiator's class skill, Berserker's Vow, a Bravant, and any other buff that provides a 45% increase in physical damage, and you're looking at a skill that can deal a maximum of 17283% damage! That's not taking forges into account either, and each elemental forge adds like an extra 10% to your damage since a chase is counted as a regular attack for some reason. And of course, that's also not counting weaknesses.

By the way Breakfire Fist won't proc Warrior Might multiple times. Multi-hit skills will only proc it once. Only Swashbuckling can get multiple procs.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 14, 2015

Onehellofaburrito
Oct 6, 2014
Started EO3 for the first time after 100% 4 and beating EOU and am at the third floor of the first stratum. I'm running a Hoplite/Monk/Buccaneer Arbalist/Zodiac. I'm really digging everything but the buccaneer. Team is around level 8 and the buccaneer is doing pitiful damage. It looks like its going to do some real damage with some levels but I want to know if I'm just building it some dumb way.

Right now the skills I have are:
Rapier Mastery: 8/10
Lady Luck: 1/10 (figured the one point would be nice for crits)
Hanging: 1/10

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, that is definitely a bad build for them. Do not invest in any of the weapon mastery skills for any class other than to unlock skills. The damage bonus that they provide only applies to regular attacks, and that is not what you want to be doing most of the time. Likewise, Lady Luck isn't that great of a passive either. Only invest in it to unlock Limit Boost, which doesn't do much for you earlygame. Invest in Hanging until you get enough points to unlock Pincushion.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Onehellofaburrito posted:

Started EO3 for the first time after 100% 4 and beating EOU and am at the third floor of the first stratum. I'm running a Hoplite/Monk/Buccaneer Arbalist/Zodiac. I'm really digging everything but the buccaneer. Team is around level 8 and the buccaneer is doing pitiful damage. It looks like its going to do some real damage with some levels but I want to know if I'm just building it some dumb way.

A Buccaneer's usefulness basically begins and ends with Hanging (for head binds, not necessarily for damage) and Pincushion. So yeah, if you want to stick with one, they're not going to be doing anything for awhile. Their supposed gimmick is chasers, but one of the unlockable classes can do chases 100 times better.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The reason you're doing pitiful damage is you've boosted Rapier mastery first - it only affects standard attacks, and only to a small extent. Not to mention that regular attacks are never going to be doing serious damage.

What you want to do with a Buccaneer early on is put a bunch of points into Hanging. That's their best early damage skill, and the head bind makes for a nice bonus. Lights out can possibly be worth a couple points in as well - I only put one in and didn't really ever use it past the first stratum.

Now eventually you'll want to max out both Rapier Mastery and Gun Mastery so you can get Pincushion, which is where the Buccaneer's real potential comes from. That takes a lot of points though, so you definitely want to take Hanging first.

E: Don't get discouraged by how long it takes them to get good though, your team is the identical one I used to beat the whole game (minus the ultimate boss...) and the Buccaneer is great fun in the long run.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 14, 2015

Onehellofaburrito
Oct 6, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. Wouldn't maxing out Hanging right away make it a massive TP sink? Guess I'll save that it for bosses/FOEs.

I took a look at resting and it costs a whopping 5 skill points. Jeeze, I had it good in 4 and EOU with the 2 level cost. Is it worth it to rest at level 8 or should I just make a new Buccaneer and use the bird sea quest to fast level it?

I think everyone else on my team is doing alright. Only other member I'm worried about not screwing up is the Zodiac but I remember someone in the old thread saying to only put one point in each of the Elemental Stars and then Ether Mastery all the way.

Onehellofaburrito fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 14, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

Thanks for the feedback. Wouldn't maxing out Hanging right away make it a massive TP sink? Guess I'll save that it for bosses/FOEs.

I took a look at resting and it costs a whopping 5 skill points. Jeeze, I had it good in 4 and EOU with the 2 level cost. Is it worth it to rest at level 8 or should I just make a new Buccaneer and use the bird sea quest to fast level it?

I think everyone else on my team is doing alright. Only other member I'm worried about not screwing up is the Zodiac but I remember someone in the old thread saying to only put one point in each of the Elemental Stars and then Ether Mastery all the way.
You'll also want some points in Trickster to get you some TP back.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

You can't just use Warrior Might by itself. You need a specific party to get the most out of it. You need 2 Shogun/Buccaneers with maxed out Swashbuckling and at least a point in Second Sword. The cookie cutter party setup for that usually ends up being GS H? SB SB and the last class of your choice. Shogun/Buccaneers can get 9 hits with a maxed out Swashbuckling, so that's 18 hits, plus whatever the Hoplite and the last class decide to contribute, and you can use the Lucky Hammer limit to get an extra chase for a maximum total of 21 hits. Now factor in the Gladiator's class skill, Berserker's Vow, a Bravant, and any other buff that provides a 45% increase in physical damage, and you're looking at a skill that can deal a maximum of 17283% damage! That's not taking forges into account either, and each elemental forge adds like an extra 10% to your damage since a chase is counted as a regular attack for some reason. And of course, that's also not counting weaknesses.

By the way Breakfire Fist won't proc Warrior Might multiple times. Multi-hit skills will only proc it once. Only Swashbuckling can get multiple procs.
Good to know. I thought out would work more like the links in 4. I might keep that party in mind for the postgame.

That said, without warrior might I'd then be looking at fore honor and maybe the day/night katana skills right? The final katana skill doesn't look particularly useful without second sword.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Incidentally, if you're planning on running WM, it's a pretty good idea to have a TP battery or you'll run out after only a few fights - and the WM party does very, very little without WM itself. I actually ran it with only a single S/B and was able to use the extra slot for my N/Z, who was also handy for using Prophecies on certain nasty enemies, freeing up some points from my already starved Hoplite.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
WM is a highly specialized party build that's mostly meant to do one thing and that is kill postgame bosses. I can't imagine it being that efficient in random encounters just because of how much the skill costs to use.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It actually chases AOEs, so it can annihilate random encounters if the party is built right. There's the reason why it's the cookie cutter party of EO3, although I'm personally not a fan of it. It's the single most overpowered tactic in EO3, and I find it really boring.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hivac posted:

WM is a highly specialized party build that's mostly meant to do one thing and that is kill postgame bosses. I can't imagine it being that efficient in random encounters just because of how much the skill costs to use.
I ran it with a TP battery for the whole fourth and fifth strata and it did fine.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Eh, to each their own I suppose. I'm probably never gonna end up 100%ing EO3 anyways, I just can't muster up the effort after nearly 100%ing EO1. Pasarans kill my soul.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

theshim posted:

I ran it with a TP battery for the whole fourth and fifth strata and it did fine.

You had a tp battery. Everything is efficient with one :v:

I found it really useful in a silly gimmick thing I was doing with my hype princess (reclassed to shogun) in just running through all resistance in my two runs that I had her in, even with my party about 15 levels behind the curve.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

theshim posted:

Yeah with a N/Z you can wreck random fights all day long.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

While Ether Mastery is something you want to max out, I don't recommend doing that early because that slows down your Zodiac's skill progression just for a measly 25% damage boost, which doesn't do much for you early. You want to go for Singularity and Etheric Charge, and then put one point in each of their AOEs.

Now that doesn't apply to the Arbalist. You WANT to max out Giant Kill first because it's a huge damage boost (55%), and they don't really have the TP pool to max good use of their skills early.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What's a good way to grind to 70 in eo4?

The dragons are two rounding me at between 60 and 65, and random encounters give Dick for xp in the last dungeon. (at least, on floor 1?)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Grind on extra bosses, like that Chameleon King.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Rare mantids in the 3rd/4th lands are pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

tithin posted:

What's a good way to grind to 70 in eo4?

The dragons are two rounding me at between 60 and 65, and random encounters give Dick for xp in the last dungeon. (at least, on floor 1?)

If you've only just started the last maze, why not keep going until you complete it rather than grinding? You'll absolutely hit 70 before you finish it, and you want to kill your first dragon before you actually hit the cap anyway.

But if you insist on grinding for some reason use the mantises and sky emperors. Feed them the rare food they like (mantises like Dragon Carp in the 4th land and Happiness Hares in the third, Sky Emperors like Gold Stinkhorn), eat EXP boosting food, and use the burst that increases EXP gain.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 14, 2015

• Locked thread