Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's actually a really good set of planned changes. Part of the draw for me and a few other people I know is the aesthetic of the mechs, and the CRT is basically the Assault that just looks like rear end. This makes me pretty hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Heads up to those who may be interested. Hawken's new producer, CapnJosh, has made a thread on the official forums asking for suggestions and feedback regarding some proposed changes that are being considered. The changes are limited in scope due to the level of access to functionality Reloaded has at this moment, but hey it's something. Basically: He's considering switching the starter mech from the CRT to the Assault, as well as give all players a pre-determined loadout of internals to help alleviate the perception of P2W, and to help newbies live a little longer.

Here's the thread in question: https://community.playhawken.com/topic/385-new-player-mech-and-loadout-options/

In order to log in, you use the same credentials as your Hawken account.
I think my only thought on "Pay 2 Win (even if it technically wasn't, because it was something that wasn't cash only)" back them, was because if you don't throw cash at the game you have to wait and wait and wait until you are a high enough level to be allowed to buy the Air Dodge. Which I kept running into pubbies who didn't realize this when they told me "If you wan't an Air Dodge so bad, why don't you just unlock it :smug:" "Can't without REAL money, I'm not high enough level :saddowns:." "Oh, right..."

I'm sure this went for other cool toys that you had to wait a while for for the privilige of spending your points on, but that was the standout to me.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

\
the CRT is basically the Assault that just looks like rear end.

You take that back :argh: Even if statistically yeah I had a much, much better time with my Assault.

Is the CRT also still the only mech who's Elite unlock parts are more than just a glorified camo skin, and actually changes what the mech looks like? I liked the TV and Walking tuna can of murder looks.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Section Z posted:

Is the CRT also still the only mech who's Elite unlock parts are more than just a glorified camo skin, and actually changes what the mech looks like? I liked the TV and Walking tuna can of murder looks.

Yup. The other mechs so far still only have reskinned versions of their normal parts. The most interesting ones besides that that I can recall are the Assault elite skin (:siren:), the Incinerator (buncha primary colours), Scout (I think this one makes you bright white?) and kiiiinda the tech with it's red highlights. The rest basically boil down to browner/battle hardened/damaged with optional Space UN symbols. Feel free to prove me wrong with something I've forgotten though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

TVBot is charming and should remain the introduction to the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Swap Assault and CRT's stats, leave CRT as the first mech. I will not be happy with anything less.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Leave Fred alone. Remove Assault, rename G2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yup. The other mechs so far still only have reskinned versions of their normal parts. The most interesting ones besides that that I can recall are the Assault elite skin (:siren:), the Incinerator (buncha primary colours), Scout (I think this one makes you bright white?) and kiiiinda the tech with it's red highlights. The rest basically boil down to browner/battle hardened/damaged with optional Space UN symbols. Feel free to prove me wrong with something I've forgotten though.

No, this is correct. Coincidentally, the only mechs I have elited are the CRT, Assault and Scout (the UN white is the best).

Leaving Fred as the default mech is dumb and bad, but no one's saying he needs to be deleted from the game forever. Just leave him in as a purchaseable mech for spare change and let people buy it if they want. He's literally just a barely-different Assault with a butt-ugly model.

If he were different enough to justify his existence in the main roster I'd say flip the basic/elite parts around so you start with the Little Soviet Tank Turret That Could and can elite upgrade to the TV but otherwise leave him as the default mech, but his existence as a starter mech serves pretty much zero purpose.

e; that thread has been enough to convince me to reinstall and keep working towards the G2 Assault.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 27, 2015

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I need to reinstall this now. I elited my Rocketeer and spent many fights just dropping mechs in seconds with dual-EOC/dumb rockets at point blank. Nothing survives that mess.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I gotta say, i kinda feel like starting to play again now, too.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Since a bunch of people are starting back up again, I figured a few resources and such are worth pointing out.

It's not goon IRC, nor a synIRC channel, but the #hawkenscrim IRC channel on Quakenet is the main IRC for Hawken players to hang out. It started as a way to organize high-level games but it developed into a general hangout. Towards the end of Adhesive's run of the place this IRC wound up getting a link onto the front page so we're now semi-official. Whether you have questions or want to set up a match or just hang out with (not necessarily goon) Hawken dudes that's the place for it.

The website https://hawken.herokuapp.com is an online Hawken server list that can let you keep track of what servers are online, and what their stats are; from the map they're on to the average skill level of the players. (Skill is measured by MMR in Hawken, a new account starts at 1500, which is approximately average)

Ashfire908's scrimbot is going to actually be able to be used for its originally intended purpose soon. In the (hopefully) nearish future you'll be able to use scrimbot through your friends list to opt into the creation of pick up games through it. Full details are located in the thread he made on the issue here. This feature isn't in yet, to be clear. For now, most people use scrimbot to check the average mmr of a server, or their own mmr in game. (Though it does have a few other uses) To use scrimbot, just add it to your friends list in game, and you'll be able to send commands to it through the message system.

My guide to the mechs is available on Steam for if you aren't sure what mech to pick next, or what a certain mech is all about. It's a little bit out of date - notably missing the G2 Raider and the Technician prestige weapon, but one of those just requires me to move something over when I stop being lazy, and the other will require a bit of research on my part so I actually know what it is.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I was very happy to unlock the elite parts for the Vanguard, Reaper, and Sharpshooter. I'm partial to coyote brown desert trimmings/canvas though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Elite Incinerator (Blue and yellow) and Raider (UN White) are pretty cool but it would be nicer if they had different models or at least more visually interesting skins. It would also be cool if I could put camo on the elite parts so I can plaster everything with my sick Alpha camo :smug:

It would also be cool if I could get all my MC refunded so I could make better purchasing decisions but I don't see that happening any time soon. Being able to sell the mechs I got when they changed the unlock system would also be nice.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

Elite Incinerator (Blue and yellow) and Raider (UN White) are pretty cool but it would be nicer if they had different models or at least more visually interesting skins. It would also be cool if I could put camo on the elite parts so I can plaster everything with my sick Alpha camo :smug:

It would also be cool if I could get all my MC refunded so I could make better purchasing decisions but I don't see that happening any time soon. Being able to sell the mechs I got when they changed the unlock system would also be nice.

Yeah, some of the colors ARE nice, but compared to Fred "Actually looks like a new robot" it was a bit of a letdown.

Also of all the purchase decisions I've made int he game, unlocking the Incinerator was the most pleasant surprise because I wasn't expecting it to be so much oh my loving god FUN. I stuck with the first primary which let me basically just fire literally forever without worrying about heat too much, while spamming small fireballs and if my heat got too high for comfort I just switched to BIG fireballs or did a ground pound. The slightly improved accuracy for mid range tickling people to death also fit my tastes. My biggest Fred and Infiltrator streaks were in large part thanks to tickling fleeing people to death with the assault rifle at ranges they probably expected to be safe.

God, it took me so loving long to get the hang of that incinerator ground pound. My best results was using it to basically suicide bomb pocket technicians after softening them up.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 28, 2015

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Things that need to happen, Cosmetics need to be way cheaper + Universal, Skin sets need to come AS a full set, and cheaper. poo poo has to be cheap. Theres no physical product. Theres no reason to have the prices so loving high. Not only that, Mechs themselves have to be way cheaper. The biggest problems all the people I spoke to were that everything was so drat expensive to unlock.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Things that need to happen, Cosmetics need to be way cheaper + Universal, Skin sets need to come AS a full set, and cheaper. poo poo has to be cheap. Theres no physical product. Theres no reason to have the prices so loving high. Not only that, Mechs themselves have to be way cheaper. The biggest problems all the people I spoke to were that everything was so drat expensive to unlock.

For all the items that you can buy with the in-game credits if they just pumped the cash you get for wins up a lot (since you are killing mans for corporations) and attached some good bonuses to income for kill streaks or whatever that would alleviate some of this mess too. There are many ways they could qol the poo poo out of this game and make it even more accessible to people.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Popped in for a few quick games the other night and so my son could "shoot the bombs". Still a good fun game, guess I should play more. There were a few more pubbies actually using cover and movement to good effect in the A types than I remembered. :shobon:

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The update switching the newbie mech to the Assault is now live. It also includes a full loadout of items and internals. The CRT is not yet purchasable, but it will be soon.

Items Loadout:
MG Turret - 2 slot
Repair Chart - 2 slot
Shield - 2 slot

Unlocked Items (in addition to loadout):
Detonator - 3 slot
Repair Charge - 4 slot
Hologram - 4 slot
Disruptor - 4 slot

Internals Loadout:
Composite Armor - 1 slot
Deflectors - 2 slot
Extractor - 2 slot
Basic Reconstructor - 1 slot

Unlocked Internals (in addition to loadout):
Air Compressor - 3 slot
Replenisher - 3 slot

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The update switching the newbie mech to the Assault is now live. It also includes a full loadout of items and internals. The CRT is not yet purchasable, but it will be soon.

Items Loadout:
MG Turret - 2 slot
Repair Chart - 2 slot
Shield - 2 slot

Unlocked Items (in addition to loadout):
Detonator - 3 slot
Repair Charge - 4 slot
Hologram - 4 slot
Disruptor - 4 slot

Internals Loadout:
Composite Armor - 1 slot
Deflectors - 2 slot
Extractor - 2 slot
Basic Reconstructor - 1 slot

Unlocked Internals (in addition to loadout):
Air Compressor - 3 slot
Replenisher - 3 slot

Nice, that seems pretty good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
You can also use the promo code LOADEDASSAULT to get an assault.

In other news, I finally got a mech to level 6, hooray. Too bad there isn't a G2 Bruiser yet though. I wonder what a G2 Bruiser would look like. Maybe an A Class with the Vulcan and Hellfires?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Awesome. I'm glad they went through with it and didn't listen to the people disagreeing with this.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just got this game and it rules. I probably wouldn't play it at all if it wasn't for the fact that it starts you with a decent assault mech and loadout.

Anyone know any other promo codes offhand, so I don't have to sift through the thread?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

radiatinglines posted:

I just got this game and it rules. I probably wouldn't play it at all if it wasn't for the fact that it starts you with a decent assault mech and loadout.

Anyone know any other promo codes offhand, so I don't have to sift through the thread?

I'll check my email, but I'm fairly sure they've expired by now.

E: NEWRECRUIT is the only one that still works, 3 day xp booster.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 1, 2015

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

They have been hinting at more promo codes coming soon, so more won't be long in coming. I'm sure as soon as one pops up me or someone else will post it here in no time.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm pretty excited about the hint of new life being breathed into this. I'd love to have a G2 Vanguard as well :getin:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
http://www.twitch.tv/officialhawken

Dev Q&A starting

Edit: Stream over

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 4, 2015

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'll have to go watch this after work. I figure they have it for playback.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also it's a double exp weekend which is great because I finally finished the slow crawl to 30.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 4, 2015

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Once I get to level 24 for repair kit I'm all good.

This is the best FPS I've played in a long time, I'm having as much fun playing this as I did when CoD4 first came out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

quote:

It's time for a stress test. For helping out you'll get 3x HC and XP while you're doing it!

I need to see how the existing architecture and systems handle serious stress. I'm most interested in the number of concurrent users (that generally stresses all systems).

Here are the time we will enable Triple HC/XP (yeah, 3x the HC/XP):

Saturday from 8am - 12pm PDT (15:00 UTC to 19:00 UTC)

Sunday from 8am - 12pm PDT (15:00 UTC to 19:00 UTC)

I'll be watching the loads on the servers and Tiggs will be visiting the Live Streamers on Twitch during all the fun, so I'm sure it'll be a good time ;)

-capnjosh

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Of course I'd be at work for this today, hopefully tomorrow will prove different.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Influx of new players means even more badzerkers :hellyeah:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Came back, game is still awesome and fun. Still see some of the players I recognize. I wonder if anyone remembers me at all...

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hypha posted:

Came back, game is still awesome and fun. Still see some of the players I recognize. I wonder if anyone remembers me at all...

We played a couple games, good times.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
Hmmmm, I played this during the beta and a little while after that. Sounds like it's still kickin, I'll have to give it another try.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I've been playing with FAUXTON.

Turns out I have the Alpha and Beta skins and forgot about it. :smug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deviant posted:

So I've been playing with FAUXTON.

Turns out I have the Alpha and Beta skins and forgot about it. :smug:

Also you clown on scrubs like mad :golfclap:

e: I seem to be remembering how to play but it could just be my MMR has me woefully undermatched solo. Can't always carry a victory but I'm consistently top of the team if not the match.

Also, airburst grenades/rockets are loving legit badzerker clowntime ammo. Infiltrator is a goddamn beast with the AR.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 16, 2015

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

A newway drat old mech chassis was just rereleased for B classes, with no new mech to go with it.

Tiggs posted:

Background:
Among the first models to boast next-gen cavorite frames, the Prosk Hon design saw heavy use during the early cavorite raids. They presented a menacing figure to Sentium pilots; their distinct chassis profile stood out even at distance and the first Prosk company to be deployed with the Hon began their tradition of never returning from battle with captives. Hon components remain in active service in nearly all mech fleets, owing to their remarkable performance characteristics and ease of repair.

You will find these new cosmetic parts available for purchase right now in-game.

The price of the pieces is waaay high though. ~600 MC when most mech parts are ~200 MC, and the parts that come with fancier paint jobs cost ~720 MC. Not sure what made them want to price it like this, but hey, there you go.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

The price of the pieces is waaay high though. ~600 MC when most mech parts are ~200 MC, and the parts that come with fancier paint jobs cost ~720 MC. Not sure what made them want to price it like this, but hey, there you go.

I hope that's not a sign that the average prices of things will go higher.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

YellerBill posted:

I hope that's not a sign that the average prices of things will go higher.

I'd be fine with cosmetics going higher because I don't give a drat, but the HC grind for mechs and weapon unlocks is ungodly. I hope they're not looking at making that even more of a slog. As much as I am in love with the gameplay, progression is a joke even with boosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A newway drat old mech chassis was just rereleased for B classes, with no new mech to go with it.

They also released a new camo that was buried in the files.

• Locked thread