Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That being said, I do wonder why, given that he was definitely in range, that Raylan didn't shoot out at least one tire of his car as Ava was trying to escape.

you mean other than being just shot in the head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That being said, I do wonder why, given that he was definitely in range, that Raylan didn't shoot out at least one tire of his car as Ava was trying to escape.

Speaking from intimate experience with gushing head trauma, he wouldn't have been able to aim for poo poo after a hit like that. No point trying, really.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Wynn Duffy surfing in Fiji, hang ten man!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Also what are your final tier ratings of season big bads, go!

Duffy is the best because he made it out alive and technically won :colbert: Mikey :rip:
Limehouse? Does he count? He ranks second for also not dying.
Then Markham, Mags, Detroit Mob(mostly Quarles), Crowes, whoever else.

And to whatever goon called Raylan getting shot in the hat then taking goonslinger's hat, :tipshat:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 15, 2015

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
That was completely unexpected and it loving owned.

Compared to most anti-hero dramas, Justified had pretty much the happiest ending of them all.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CPFortest posted:

Compared to most anti-hero dramas, Justified had pretty much the happiest ending of them all.

Well in the end, Raylan wasn't an anti-hero, so that makes sense.

Parachute posted:

Wynn Duffy surfing in Fiji, hang ten man!

I'm reading Graham Yost's last postmortem on ew.com (:smith:) and this is the literal truth.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Felt they played it safe, and the pacing was off but I'm sad to see the series go. Also, glad Darrell Scott got the final version of "You'll never leave Harlan alive".

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 15, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are they making movies or something? Wasnt expecting absolutely everyone to survive this, but they did. Like every single regular.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That wraps up one of the best shows of the decade with one of the best finales ever.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I thought the episode was only okay. I did love the last 5 minutes of it though. Perfection.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are they making movies or something? Wasnt expecting absolutely everyone to survive this, but they did. Like every single regular.

Yost says if there's interest they'll do a spin-off

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If Eva didn't get away scot-free then Zombie Elmore Leonard was going to come back and exact revenge on the writers.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Boone's name is Boon? This disturbs me.

(great finale)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So did Duffy help Ava then?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zVxTeflon posted:

So did Duffy help Ava then?

Maybe. Ava did not say who helped her so it could have been anyone.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Duffy clearly helped her.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Great show, great finale. Already miss it. Watched the pilot before the finale. I think me and the wife are in to re-watch through season 4 at least.

And I finished a bottle of Pappy van Winkle tonight. :911:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

A good end for a good show. Hats off, Justified.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Whenever you're missing the show, go back and watch these.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/26/justified-best-showdowns

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

How can I throw money at this?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
That was awesome, a better ending than I expected. And I'm glad it ended with both Raylan and Boyd alive. That gunfight with the Goonslinger legit scared me for a second. Also glad that Raylan did the white hat thing and took Boyd in, even though he was clearly tempted otherwise.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I thought the episode was only okay. I did love the last 5 minutes of it though. Perfection.

This series ending on a Raylan/Boyd conversation is quite fantastic. My wife has never watched an episode with me, so I'm going to figure out a way to force the issue on a rewatch.

Also, this is just me tooting my own horn (enjoying the last bit of dialogue) but this was the last thing I did before watching the episode https://twitter.com/highme/status/588195686916747265

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I thought it was solid, but a little unremarkable ending. Moments like the final draw against weirdo cowboy was excellent, yet in general the pacing felt kind of strange. It felt like the events just sort of hurried together and then we space out 4 years in the last fifteen minutes, was kind of jarring. Generally this season felt like it dragged its heels at times getting to this point, at least the last few episodes were generally worth the wait. I did not expect Boyd to survive at all, and Ava escaping scot free was kind of meh. Wynn Duffy getting away with the money, that was the funniest and probably most unexpected part by far.

Sad to see Justified go, but Rayland continuing to be Rayland is the most fitting ending possible.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The Markham versus Boyd fight was super disappointing. As was the showdown between Boone and Raylan. With that said it was still better than I thought it was going to be. A decent finale with a great final scene. Nicely done.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Medullah posted:

Glad Loretta got her final justice with the Goonslinger. Just the cold look of disgust on her face made that scene work so well. Only complaint there is that it was so early in the episode that there was zero chance Raylan actually died, so the fake out didn't actually work.

I was hoping Loretta would run him over with the pickup as he was standing there waiting for Raylan to draw.

highme
May 25, 2001

I should say, I really like Raylan covering for Ava & Zachariah with the death certificate.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
It's too bad this show doesn't get its just due among the other great TV dramas in the past decade and a half. I wouldn't necessarily put it up there with Breaking Bad and The Wire... it's closer to, say, The Shield. But goddamn, the last two episodes were the perfect way for this show to go out. Going into it, I couldn't help but wonder if any of the three leads would make it out alive, but now that I've seen the finale, I can't think of any other way it could have ended and made sense. I couldn't be happier with a series finale.

highme posted:

I should say, I really like Raylan covering for Ava & Zachariah with the death certificate.

Yeah, that almost made me emotional. I sat in front of my TV, alone, saying "good! good for you Raylan!"

Exploder fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 15, 2015

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
I definitely have to say that, despite it seeming way too short, that was by far one of the best finales I have seen.

One of the parts that hit me the most, which I haven't seen mentioned yet (and I will just use spoilers for it) , is how Raylan almost goes full circle in terms of not wanting to go to Kentucky, to avoiding his father to avoid his past, to fighting with himself and not fall back onto the path he tried to leave behind, and finally to helping it seem like Ava was dead in order to keep Boyd's son from falling into that same cycle that he'd been fighting himself.

Definitely had a ton of hits that were perfect and just as many throwbacks to the premiere.

Also, I can't get over the side of Duffy's grooming truck:

quote:

Down On All Fours
Mobile Grooming
"The experts of "Doggy Style"

I am half tempted to try and call the number underneath it to see if there is anything there.

Edit: screw spoilers on this one.

highme
May 25, 2001

My last posts brought to you by Buffalo Trace. The bourbon I drank most frequently during episodes.

SublimeDelusions posted:

I am half tempted to try and call the number underneath it to see if there is anything there.

do that

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
drat that was an amazing show. I was really late to the party, started watching it in 2013 while I was locked up oddly enough. Got me through as it was the only good thing we could watch each week.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Raylen Givens throwing a bullet at Wynn Duffy is literally one of my favorites scenes in anything, right up there with Indiana Jones shooting the guy with the sword tricks. Thank you Justified for an amazing run, and thanks to everyone in this thread for the great commentary over the years.

/hat-tip

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

SublimeDelusions posted:

and finally to helping it seem like Ava was dead in order to keep Boyd's son from falling into that same cycle that he'd been fighting himself.

Are we sure it's Boyd's kid, though?
After all, there was a moment between Raylan and Eva this season, when she kissed him and he "didn't mind to stay" ...

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Oly was on Conan tonight and they were all drinking Blanton's. Fun segment.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That was a really good way to end this show. "We dug coal together." :unsmith:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

highme posted:

My last posts brought to you by Buffalo Trace.

Same.

That bit on the AV Club before the finale said that Justified never set out to be revolutionary, but well done, and I think that carries through the end. Because that's the kind of story Elmore Leonard wrote.

Raylan does change, but only a bit. And all three principals get out of Harlan alive.

Lots of callbacks, all pretty low-key. Nice that they were clear enough to recognize without getting hit over the head.

Ellen May looked good.

Boyd throwing dynamite is funnier than it should be.

Excellent prediction on whoever called Boon's weakness as the headshot. And just a perfectly shot and lit scene, too. I knew we were in good hands when I saw early on that Adam Arkin directed it.

Right now I feel about the same as I did after Friday Night Lights' finale - sad that it's over, but way happier that it happened. And I can recommend it without reservation (even with the first few episodes - gently caress it, I like 'em as modular one-offs).

I'm trying to find an appropriate Raylan/Boyd picture for a new avatar, captioned with we dug coal together.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003
Goddamn man. That's a loving ending right there.

Thank you, Justified. It's been a marvelous 6 seasons.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Overture posted:

Raylen Givens throwing a bullet at Wynn Duffy is literally one of my favorites scenes in anything, right up there with Indiana Jones shooting the guy with the sword tricks. Thank you Justified for an amazing run, and thanks to everyone in this thread for the great commentary over the years.

/hat-tip

Pretty much this. That was one of the best things I've seen on TV

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

isk posted:

I'm trying to find an appropriate Raylan/Boyd picture for a new avatar, captioned with we dug coal together.

You might need to shrink up the distance between the two of them in a photo editor.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013

mcbexx posted:

Are we sure it's Boyd's kid, though?
After all, there was a moment between Raylan and Eva this season, when she kissed him and he "didn't mind to stay" ...

Read the article posted above with Yost, he says that nothing happened between them as Boyd arrived three minutes after Raylan.

He did say that they thought about having Officer Bob help Ava get away and then there would be some questions, guess why they had Raylan drop that line about feeding the kid well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You might need to shrink up the distance between the two of them in a photo editor.

Thank you, just might use this.

• Locked thread